Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Unlike Rinnosuke, ZUN would probably not say no to friends inviting him to go out drinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Basically, for a series that had fans take Momiji and turned her into a minor alt-right figure, ZUN is pretty leftist.

wait what

excuse me

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

wait what

excuse me
It looks like you've never found any of the thousands of MAGA hat-wearing Momiji avatars. Consider yourself lucky.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Has anyone been following Human Gensokyo? Only the first chapter is out, but it's pretty gorgeously illustrated and it seems like it'll be getting pretty heavy pretty quick.

https://mangadex.org/title/44128/touhou-human-gensokyo

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If you're dying and you know it, clap your hands.

Worth it just for that one joke.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Schwarzwald posted:

Has anyone been following Human Gensokyo? Only the first chapter is out, but it's pretty gorgeously illustrated and it seems like it'll be getting pretty heavy pretty quick.

https://mangadex.org/title/44128/touhou-human-gensokyo

Is that an official manga?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's a doujin.

It's good though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

skaianDestiny posted:

Is that an official manga?

No. It's a doujin being published alongside Detective Satori as part of the same set though. There's also one about Komachi and another one about Marisa eating food.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i haven't checked out the other doujins published alongside it yet, but the Akyu one's definitely got me intrigued enough to check out the next chapter.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Supersonic Shine posted:

It looks like you've never found any of the thousands of MAGA hat-wearing Momiji avatars. Consider yourself lucky.

Oooh. I thought you meant that time she'd been repurposed by the Uyoku Dantai guys. That was weird.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Clarste posted:

No. It's a doujin being published alongside Detective Satori as part of the same set though. There's also one about Komachi and another one about Marisa eating food.

wakakozake but with Marisa and instead of eating alone she has a different companion every chapter in a setting specific to their background

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

no idea if that is the case but it sounds compelling anyway and I hope every chapter ends with a pshuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

EDIT: da ze

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
The download version of FMW complete is up now!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

I've updated the OP with this. It's linked by the image.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

still praying for a steam release

double praying for also a localization

t-t-triple praying that the localization is good

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It's like Christmas has come early this year.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Everyone speaks really highly of the FMW games but I've never touched them, or really know what they are since I've never played Super Robot Wars either. Can someone elevator pitch me these games and why I'd want to play them? Also how many are in English?

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
A bit more complicated of a strategy game than fire emblem but simple enough that a friend was able to beat the first 2 games without improving his units at all because he thought it was cheating. The animations are cool, the music is really good and the story is nice.

You can find the translations for the first 3 games here: https://akurasu.net/wiki/Gensou_Shoujo_Wars/Translation. These wont work on the complete version but there are several translation lps on lparchive.org you can follow along with mostly you can play alongside to get the lore while also playing the much nicer to play complete version.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hello I am the dumbass who didn't upgrade my dudes.

Anyway I would say the main thing about these games is their narrative focus. And by "narrative" I don't just mean the actual story, although the story's pretty nice too. I mean the music and animations and the way spellcards play out in battle as multiple boss phases. Everything is in service to the mood, the raw emotions of the scene. To the point where people playing it blind in Japanese (which they don't understand) have been made to cry.

It's a very emotional work, even if that emotion is sometimes just "gently caress yeah, let's do this!"

Also speaking as a subject-matter expert on Touhou, I have never seen a work that is so respectful of canon trivia, even as it goes out of its way to ignore some it to tell its own story.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 30, 2019

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Nages posted:

A bit more complicated of a strategy game than fire emblem but simple enough that a friend was able to beat the first 2 games without improving his units at all because he thought it was cheating. The animations are cool, the music is really good and the story is nice.

You can find the translations for the first 3 games here: https://akurasu.net/wiki/Gensou_Shoujo_Wars/Translation. These wont work on the complete version but there are several translation lps on lparchive.org you can follow along with mostly you can play alongside to get the lore while also playing the much nicer to play complete version.

oh this reminds me, has the latest game been submitted to archival yet? It'd be a shame to not have the full set on the archive

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Golden Battler posted:

You gave me a loving heart attack thinking LoT had been released on Switch.

Same :smith:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I just got a switch lite recently and I'm gonna get luna nights when it comes out....

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

el dorito posted:

I just got a switch lite recently and I'm gonna get luna nights when it comes out....

Is your switch lite kirisame yellow?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Squiddycat posted:

Is your switch lite kirisame yellow?

Yes!

I haven't played any games on it (haven't actually opened it up yet) but the first game to touch its already-too-small sd card will be Gensokyo Defenders

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
fmw complete is literally the only video game to get how to do boss fights in a strategy rpg

also lots of diversification of units via gameplay

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Anyway I would say the main thing about these games is their narrative focus. And by "narrative" I don't just mean the actual story, although the story's pretty nice too. I mean the music and animations and the way spellcards play out in battle as multiple boss phases. Everything is in service to the mood, the raw emotions of the scene. To the point where people playing it blind in Japanese (which they don't understand) have been made to cry.

It's a very emotional work, even if that emotion is sometimes just "gently caress yeah, let's do this!"
Please look forward to my upcoming Youtube video, "Is Fantasy Maiden Wars the Citizen Kane of Games?".

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://twitter.com/torigasuki_mico/status/1212336060409114624

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I guess it's the year of the rat and there are a lot of nazrin themed posts on twitter, it's awesome

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
It would take too long to do all of them since the tier list really includes EVERYONE. so here are the essential touhous. Only the ones you gotta know about. All killer, no filler.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

It would take too long to do all of them since the tier list really includes EVERYONE. so here are the essential touhous. Only the ones you gotta know about. All killer, no filler.

Keine? KEINE!?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

e: forget the whole drat post actually

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 2, 2020

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Respectable, but I look askance at lack of Utsuho.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The Real List of Essential Touhous

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Captain Cappy posted:

The Real List of Essential Touhous

Captain Cappy posted:

Keine? KEINE!?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I, for one, am sick of alphes. No more alphes-likes, please.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

This, only Shaggy.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Clarste posted:

I, for one, am sick of alphes. No more alphes-likes, please.

Yeah :yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
kosuzu is cool