Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Pick posted:

danny devito is loving everywhere

it's crazy right? dude gets a lotta work, apparently sometimes as a 'grundle' who sings grundles good grundles good grundles goood

i want to say that's a real miss from the writing team there, yet it seems very appropriate that danny devito should be a grundle

edit: gently caress what a terrible grundlesnype

i have nothing to offer but a side-by-side of some bakshi vs jackson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t7KSarpfFM

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

as it turns out, the ring is a big deal

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

good news everyone! the ring survived

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I have never seen the bakshi version but I'm willing to say it's categorically better than the Peter Jackson movies

latent lunatic
Sep 5, 2018
What the hell is wrong with Gandalf's nose?

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

latent lunatic posted:

What the hell is wrong with Gandalf's nose?
nothing at all

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

fauna posted:

good news everyone! the ring survived

I hope the ring survives the whole way through

It's a p nice ring

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

so gandalf really hates this ring

his mystical body language is enough to instantly convince frodo, because on the very next shot they're on their way out of town, no questions asked

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Quentin Tarantino’s The Lord of the Rings

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

frodo looks honestly pretty happy to be leaving

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

fauna posted:

as it turns out, the ring is a big deal

lmao

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

This thread is awesome. Keep it going

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
jesus it's going to take you like 11 hours to watch it at this pace

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

as they wander unhurriedly through the pristine crimean countryside of my dreams, gandalf and frodo have a passionate interchange. tempers flare and hair inflates

long story short: sauron wants the ring, gollum had the ring, then bilbo had the ring, frodo asks gandalf to take the ring, gandalf doesn't want the ring, so frodo takes the ring

fauna fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 2, 2020

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Million Ghosts posted:

jesus it's going to take you like 11 hours to watch it at this pace
i'm thinking this is probably going to be a multi-part project. luckily i have the beautiful remastered thing (deluxe edition!) on dvd and so can return whenever i want to bakshi's wonderland

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Bakshi's version outshines Jackson's by a drat sight. And he ran out of money and it shows.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

gandalf flushes an eavesdropper. it is frodo's... friend...? sam! he is desperate to come on the adventure because he's heard they'll see elves and he loves elves! who among us doesn't love elves? who among us can judge him? certainly not gandalf, who graciously invites him along, though tbh frodo doesn't seem all that enthusiastic

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

gandalf powers across the marsh to zdzislaw beksinski's palace of pain. there is a reason this bizarre thing hasn't been forgotten: look at those backgrounds. the tower shot is a slow pan so i couldn't do it justice. gandalf is meeting his ex-special wizard friend aruman, whom the script sporadically calls saruman. sometimes the characters say aruman, sometimes saruman. it really raises questions in the viewer's mind

aruman is also a majestic old man. one of the only things i could remember about this movie from when i watched it as a kid was the incredible beards. upon rewatch, they've exceeded my expectations

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

stay tuned for one of the most subtly yet powerfully erotic scenes in animated history, starring: hands

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

fauna posted:

stay tuned for one of the most subtly yet powerfully erotic scenes in animated history, starring: hands

:munch:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

lmfao

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
An entire film of great avatars

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I will always prefer the Rankin Bass freaky frog monkey Gollum to the Bakshi Gollum.
When I read the books I had a mental image of Gollum as a creepy half amphibian thing, not just a wiry gargoyle man.

on the other hand
WHERE THERE’S A WHIP, THERE’S A WAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I saw this film in the theater, many, many years ago. I went to see it with a dude named Robert who lived in the house that backed up ours. We were both huge Tolkien fans, so we decided to go. He smoked a lot of weed before we went into the theater. At the time I was an underage, timid soul, and did not smoke week. Robert enjoyed the movie much more than I did.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Robert enjoyed everything much more than you did

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Genesplicer posted:

I saw this film in the theater, many, many years ago. I went to see it with a dude named Robert who lived in the house that backed up ours. We were both huge Tolkien fans, so we decided to go. He smoked a lot of weed before we went into the theater. At the time I was an underage, timid soul, and did not smoke week. Robert enjoyed the movie much more than I did.
i just ran out of weed the other day so i'm actually having this experience mostly straight (slightly drunk) and i'm in awe of how much fun i am having. this film is so, so close to being really good, it's just its shortcomings are kind of... distracting

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
honestly this is looking more vibrant than i remembered it - my brain really remembered the stark red bgs and the murkier grey ones, these blues are p. gorgeous

however it is not merely that it is distracting, it's that the way it moves and cuts is fundamentally anxiety-provoking. there's way too many close-up shots of faces, it's like the characters are just straight up IN YOUR FACE. it's the same problem as with the new Cats.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i was lying, it's not all that erotic. unless...

it is somewhat unclear who aruman is, or what he wants, or what his relationship is with gandalf, but from the passion with which the two men meet each other i can only assume they are special wizard friends. saruman wants to ally with sauron, the dark lord, owner of the ring. gandalf, doesn't. aruman attempts to intimidate gandalf by shooting energy beams from his enshrouded pelvis

then aruman storms off into the night, leaving gandalf screaming for him in anguish. in this way he wins the battle.

he leaves gandalf standing suddenly atop a tower that is obviously not the one that he entered, implying powerful temporal forces at work. what has happened remains unclear, but i understand it is dire

and we cut back to our old friends, the hobbits, who have multiplied

fauna fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 2, 2020

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

honestly this is looking more vibrant than i remembered it - my brain really remembered the stark red bgs and the murkier grey ones, these blues are p. gorgeous

however it is not merely that it is distracting, it's that the way it moves and cuts is fundamentally anxiety-provoking. there's way too many close-up shots of faces, it's like the characters are just straight up IN YOUR FACE. it's the same problem as with the new Cats.

yeah, this is true. i think i saw this at a time when i couldn't not like it as a kid in the 80's, but it's kind of unsettling in ways that maybe aren't totally intentional? i still like it though.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

our heroes, now suddenly including sam's cousins merry and pippin, jolly on down the road until they get the feeling they are being watched

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

yeah, this is true. i think i saw this at a time when i couldn't not like it as a kid in the 80's, but it's kind of unsettling in ways that maybe aren't totally intentional? i still like it though.

its definitely not intentional - there's good stuff there, but there's a reason it's considered a bit of a cult classic yeah

you can't look away yet don't want to be experiencing it, simultaneously

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 2, 2020

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
:five:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

the ringwraith's pretty weird. it limps around like it's in pain, and less explicably, makes a loud snorting/snuffling noise like a cartoon bloodhound. luckily for the hobbits it seems to get bored quickly and wanders off, so they can emerge and gaze about in wonderment at the mercy of heaven

merry and pippin are now part of the group for no stated reason. frodo doesn't want them there. they just somehow knew all about the situation and wanted to come along

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Boy, Jackson really did lift this shot wholesale.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Whoa

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
pretty sure Jackson openly stated he was heavily influenced by Bakshi's Fellowship of the Ring adaptation

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Zippy the Bummer posted:

pretty sure Jackson openly stated he was heavily influenced by Bakshi's Fellowship of the Ring adaptation
that's because it's a work of art

australia's burning down btw. i'm so glad my dvd turned up because that's what i'm distracting myself from. this dvd, deluxe edition, which i have to wonder if anybody else has ever bought, had to travel from nsw to victoria to get to me, which means that it has been through the fires of hell

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

how many screaming, chlamydia ridden koalas did it pass to get there

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

after a wild night of jigging at the inn of the prancing rotoscope, the hobbits return to their hotel room to find it already occupied by an intensely dressed stranger