Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

CPL593H posted:

There are definitely a bunch of different reasons, but what helps with esoteric poo poo like this is that the original film elements weren't used a whole bunch of times to make numerous film prints. This is why a lot of stuff no one gives a poo poo about looks great on blu-ray.

That's not true at all. The majority of film prints are made from interpositives, which are a generation removed from the OCN. The Godfather is one of the incredibly rare times that prints were struck from the OCN because they didn't expect the film to be a hit so they didn't make many interpositives, which necessitated going to the OCN to make the massive number of prints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

DeimosRising posted:

No I mean which digital Redemption site, I tried one on Vudu and it didn’t work, but it didn’t give me the “already used” message

Says “DIGITAL HD or iTunes” and gives the url UPHE.com/Redeem (for Get Out, 2001 has been taken)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

You fuckers talking it up made me pull the trigger on the Angel Collection.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
So hey, Top Secret! and Police Squad are finally getting BR releases in March.

In Australia.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Man, what’s up with Australia getting BR releases that never seem to come to the US? I think they’re the only place you can get the last few seasons of Adventure Time on BR.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Man, what’s up with Australia getting BR releases that never seem to come to the US? I think they’re the only place you can get the last few seasons of Adventure Time on BR.

My first import BR was Kenny and Company, which is apparently only available in Japan.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Really happy with The Man Who Laughs, which is probably the last film I'll watch this year.

Kind of crazy reading about how long it was just not available to be seen.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Really happy with The Man Who Laughs, which is probably the last film I'll watch this year.

Kind of crazy reading about how long it was just not available to be seen.

Universal junked most of their silent films in 1948 except for a few dozen films George Eastman House offered to handle.

GEH gets the negatives, finds out most are rotting. They make preservation copies and junk the negatives before they can catch on fire. That's actually why The Phantom of the Opera and The Man Who Laughs survive in 35mm.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So I watched Tammy and the T-Rex.

The composited bits where the dinosaur is walking are hilarious.

Tammy has a Golliwog on her bed, WTF?

"I'M GOOD RIGHT?! I'M GOOD RIGHT?! I'M GOOD RIGHT?!"

The opening and closing credits have Denise Richards as "Tanny"

Worth it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Egbert Souse posted:

Universal junked most of their silent films in 1948 except for a few dozen films George Eastman House offered to handle.

GEH gets the negatives, finds out most are rotting. They make preservation copies and junk the negatives before they can catch on fire. That's actually why The Phantom of the Opera and The Man Who Laughs survive in 35mm.
That's amazing.
I was surprised that basically the entire film was preserved. No hard cuts or discontinuity that I could see.

And it's insane that a film that served as a stepping stone towards the Universal monster film aesthetic could so easily almost vanish. But I guess that's early cinema for you.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

FilthyImp posted:

That's amazing.
I was surprised that basically the entire film was preserved. No hard cuts or discontinuity that I could see.

And it's insane that a film that served as a stepping stone towards the Universal monster film aesthetic could so easily almost vanish. But I guess that's early cinema for you.

Yeah, like 70% of silent films are lost to time. No one ever thought that films would have a life after their theatrical runs, but home video changed all that. Film preservation is such an important thing now, and I sometimes feel I should leave my job as a cinematographer and go into film preservation and archiving because there are so many films that need to be saved.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Casimir Radon posted:

The opening and closing credits have Denise Richards as "Tanny"

Back when they made the movie someone hosed up the opticals and they just didn't bother to correct it probably because it wasn't going to be the released version.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There's a lot of weird stuff here by some distributors that I don't understand. We also got The House That Jack Built uncut on blu ray, but John Wick 3 is only available in a censored version.

At least our dollar is absolutely horrible so it'd be cheap to import our stuff.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

VoodooXT posted:

Yeah, like 70% of silent films are lost to time. No one ever thought that films would have a life after their theatrical runs, but home video changed all that. Film preservation is such an important thing now, and I sometimes feel I should leave my job as a cinematographer and go into film preservation and archiving because there are so many films that need to be saved.

I'm not disagreeing, but a lot of films got a new life when they figured out that you could air it on TV. When you look at the historical primetime schedules on Wikipedia, it's amazing just how much time was devoted to movies until 1997.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is 2020 going to be the year we get Martin and Dawn of the Dead on blu?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Vince MechMahon posted:

You fuckers talking it up made me pull the trigger on the Angel Collection.

I haven't even watched the sequels yet, so I may still regret getting it. I know at least one of them was produced by Cannon Films so maybe they'll still be entertaining, like the Death Wish sequels compared to the original Death Wish.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is 2020 going to be the year we get Martin and Dawn of the Dead on blu?

Dawn is definitely possible, there's been a lot of word that the rights fuckery was getting smoothed out over the past few months.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Pretty sure both are still scheduled for 4k releases this year in the UK. If all else fails, just import those since 4K is region free.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

That's amazing.

Really the only studio that bothered to maintain their library was Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and even they had a catastrophic fire in 1967 (which destroyed the only surviving material on London After Midnight, among tons others) and they lost a lot of negatives in a later GEH fire (which thankfully only affected camera negatives that had already been preserved onto 35mm safety film properly). But I think there's something like 600+ MGM silents that survive in full or mostly complete, which is way more than anyone else.

What's neat is that Universal has been working on restorations and preservation of silents. Many have lapsed copyrights, but apparently Comcast has been really supportive. I think the only ones with home video editions are The Man Who Laughs and The Last Warning, but they've done a lot of others including the 1916 version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and a rumored 4K restoration of The Phantom of the Opera that uses newly discovered color elements.

VoodooXT posted:

Silent films were first to go, but not immediately. Quite a lot of big silent films got reissues with sync music/effects in the 30s. Off the top of my head, that included The Birth of a Nation, The Big Parade, Ben-Hur, The Phantom of the Opera (which had some reshoots and new scenes), Tumbleweeds, Son of the Sheik, etc. And of course, Chaplin reissued The Gold Rush in 1942 and planned one for The Kid around the same time.

One major problem with preservation is that a lot of libraries changed hands. Paramount sold their 1929-1949ish feature catalog to MCA, Warner Bros. sold their pre-1950 library to what became United Artists Television, and a bunch of smaller libraries got sliced and diced. I think in the case of Paramount, they junked whatever MCA didn't take for creating TV prints (there's almost no camera negatives from these two decades besides the Technicolor films). Then you have studios junking stuff to free up storage like Fox throwing out all their nitrate after cheaply copying to safety film.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I, Butthole posted:

There's a lot of weird stuff here by some distributors that I don't understand. We also got The House That Jack Built uncut on blu ray, but John Wick 3 is only available in a censored version.

At least our dollar is absolutely horrible so it'd be cheap to import our stuff.

For some reason Australia for a complete Space Ghost Coast to Coast DVD, but the US didn't. There's so much poo poo that makes me want to go region free and I just keep not doing it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPL593H posted:

For some reason Australia for a complete Space Ghost Coast to Coast DVD, but the US didn't. There's so much poo poo that makes me want to go region free and I just keep not doing it.

That reminds me, I need to get around to selling my US Space Ghost Vol 4+5 before they re-release a full set and the value plummets. Or maybe they never will. Are studios just afraid of putting SD content on blu-rays because it's confusing?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

wa27 posted:

That reminds me, I need to get around to selling my US Space Ghost Vol 4+5 before they re-release a full set and the value plummets. Or maybe they never will. Are studios just afraid of putting SD content on blu-rays because it's confusing?

I believe you're not allowed to release a Blu where the main feature is SD.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cloks posted:

Yeah it’s a stupid requirement. Nothing wrong with ‘upscaling’ SD sourced footage to 1080 and not making it obvious in the packaging, though (I remember early Always Sunny discs reportedly looked identical to the dvd)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
After spending my New Year's day watching The Mandalorian, I now really want to watch Lone Wolf and Cub, when do the usual Criteron sales happen?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Next one is July.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea you just missed one in November, unfortunately.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
They typically do a 24hr flash sale around March, tho.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
drat, that's what I get for being the resident VinSyn expert

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

After spending my New Year's day watching The Mandalorian, I now really want to watch Lone Wolf and Cub, when do the usual Criteron sales happen?

Criterion.com Spring Flash Sale - Late Feb/Early March (50% off all in-stock)
B&N Summer Sale - July (50% off plus extra 10% off in-store for members, includes pre-orders for anything released during sale)
Criterion.com Fall Flash Sale - October
B&N Fall Sale - November

The Criterion.com sales are usually 24 hours from noon to noon. Plus, you get reward points that you can earn towards a $50 gift certificate.

Amazon also will have rolling sales on select titles, plus they tend to have low pricing on box sets year-round ($160 for Ingmar Bergman's Cinema right now).

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 2, 2020

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

How where they able to do one for Doctor Who Season 23, though? That entire season was shot on video.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Maxwell Lord posted:

How where they able to do one for Doctor Who Season 23, though? That entire season was shot on video.

It's 1080i upconverted, according to blu-ray.com

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

And if you want to get technical, 1080i/60Hz is way preferable over 480i/60Hz for PAL content

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The current discussion in horror thread got me wondering about something. I noticed that the invention of the DVD seemed to herald an era of non-theatrical cuts of films. I know that my family had letterbox editions of several movies on VHS in the 90's, but I doubt there really was anything major that would have prevented the release of an "Unrated" VHS.

I wonder what it was about DVD that made this happen. It may have simply been that for some reason the executives that be thought that people would buy multiple different cuts of films, or maybe it was simply an incentive to switching to a DVD player.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Changes in the ease of fabrication and storage, along with a general growth in the market allowing for more discerning buyers?

Probably also related to the inclusion of Bonus Features... early DVDs were supposed to have alternate angles and poo poo that never caught on, for example.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

The current discussion in horror thread got me wondering about something. I noticed that the invention of the DVD seemed to herald an era of non-theatrical cuts of films. I know that my family had letterbox editions of several movies on VHS in the 90's, but I doubt there really was anything major that would have prevented the release of an "Unrated" VHS.

I wonder what it was about DVD that made this happen. It may have simply been that for some reason the executives that be thought that people would buy multiple different cuts of films, or maybe it was simply an incentive to switching to a DVD player.

I always thought the "unrated" fad was more of a 2002-2005 thing, after DVD was established. But I just looked up American Pie and apparently it had an unrated version in 99.

Still, I think that was less a result of the DVD format and more because of the rise of sex comedies around the same time. There were certainly alternate editions of films that came out on VHS (Star Wars, for one).

edit: apparently the Unrated marketing gimmick goes back even further. Here's a VHS tape from 1995:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scandal-Un...=p2047675.l2557

wa27 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 2, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It's the storage thing, absolutely, plus the technology advances like seamless branching.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I miss home video releases being both unrated and out-of-control. Usually with caution tape that says “TOO HOT FOR THEATERS” photoshopped over mouths.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 2, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

wa27 posted:

I always thought the "unrated" fad was more of a 2002-2005 thing, after DVD was established. But I just looked up American Pie and apparently it had an unrated version in 99.

This was the very first DVD I ever bought, yeah, it's unrated because he fucks the pie in a different position.

Timby posted:

It's the storage thing, absolutely, plus the technology advances like seamless branching.

The thing is I haven't seen a lot of movies out there with seamless branching. I know Independence Day did, it added a whole subplot about Randy Quaid's daughter trying to get laid that culminates with "it's ok we'll both die as virgins." It also wasn't very seamless since the scenes were clearly not as finished as everything else.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Do the digital codes that come with most blu-rays actually expire or is that just a cover-your-rear end warning thing? Think I have a few of them stashed away somewhere but they all said they might be expired by like 2017 and I never bothered to check if they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Do the digital codes that come with most blu-rays actually expire or is that just a cover-your-rear end warning thing? Think I have a few of them stashed away somewhere but they all said they might be expired by like 2017 and I never bothered to check if they did.

There's no downside to giving them a shot, but yea I think they do actually expire. Maybe it differs from company to company though.