Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Even by trash rare standards this is terrible.

ungulateman posted:

they printed a bad temple of the false god back in battle for zendikar, so either they don't want to reprint it in standard or the battle for zendikar era standard power-down was so severe that they felt the need to print bad temple of the false god during it

i think part of the reason i was convinced is that we've already seen a 'fixed' maze of ith leaked, so seeing old powerful lands return wouldn't be too jarring

e:

choose one or both: return a creature from your graveyard to the battlefield, or return an aura from your graveyard to the battlefield.

i believe the timing works the good way.

5 mana is high but could be very swingy in the right deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

Even by trash rare standards this is terrible.

it seems about as good as 5 mana do nothings get, that's a lot of stats. maybe not enough because still 5 mana do nothing

gonna destroy people in limited too, geez

E: wait I misread it, it's almost definitely not good enough

anyway,

Elyv fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 2, 2020

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Lone Goat posted:

cary you fuckin scamp :allears:

it works because it's wotc

Well that's embarassing. Taunting Elf and company were always more busted than they appear though, and this helps to wipe the field so you don't die on the crackback, so this card is probably a bomb in limited assuming the point removal in this set isn't as incredible as Eldraine's was, and hilariously bad if there's something like Bake into a Pie and good bounce.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Cary sucks, I don’t understand why every likes them. They always make “jokes” that aren’t funny and just exist solely to troll Magic Twitter. I wouldn’t mind if it was literally ever funny. Does Cary have a backstory that makes them not a farty diaper baby?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bust Rodd posted:

Cary sucks, I don’t understand why every likes them. They always make “jokes” that aren’t funny and just exist solely to troll Magic Twitter. I wouldn’t mind if it was literally ever funny. Does Cary have a backstory that makes them not a farty diaper baby?

lmao at all this

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Bust Rodd

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Rust Bodd.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Grifter posted:

I updated all the cards with a set of the usual three questions but for Commander. Link. I was glad I went back in and did this because I also found a minor typo on every one and I fixed that too.
Cool to see another MMA person floating around in the magic thread. Your take on Woe Strider is pretty spicy. For people interested, I believe you can see results here. Let me know if that doesn't work and I'll dig around for the proper link, I don't use google forms much.

I just thought that a repeatable sac outlet would be good in non-standard formats (although there are no doubt better ones to use? I have no idea). I also contributed to your form because I recognized you from the MMA threads. :unsmith:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Legendary Enchantment Creature-Spider

Reach

Whenever an opponent cast an instant or sorcery spell, create a 1/2 green Spider creature token with Reach.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Kurtofan posted:

Reach

Whenever an opponent cast an instant or sorcery spell, create a 1/2 green Spider creature token with Reach.

All UR variants in Standard and Pioneer are getting hosed HARD this set.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Reach

Well that's going to muck up some limited games something fierce.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Reach

I like this art.

Also this seems mythic to me.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Well that's embarassing. Taunting Elf and company were always more busted than they appear though, and this helps to wipe the field so you don't die on the crackback, so this card is probably a bomb in limited assuming the point removal in this set isn't as incredible as Eldraine's was, and hilariously bad if there's something like Bake into a Pie and good bounce.
Asking how many cards are left in my opponent's deck every turn and conspicuously counting their creatures

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
oh no, a 1/2 spider with reach, my one weakness!

also this is a 3/5 with reach that makes a 1/2 when it dies in most limited games, because the first and only instant or sorcery you play while it's on the board is a kill spell or a combat trick to get rid of it. that's pretty good, and obviously it can be a lot better than that, but limited is all about putting creatures on the board and killing your opponent's, not casting divination while your opponent plays 3/5s, so you're not getting a ton of tokens unless your opponent has no outs except to play card draw to find removal, in which case you're winning by a huge margin already.

also also a lot of the noncreature cards in this limited format will be enchantments that don't trigger her anyway.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I agree. It's obviously an efficient card but it's not going to win a limited game on its own against anything other than a UR spells deck (and that's probably not UR's theme this time around?).

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I agree that it’s not a bomb, but a 3/5 reach is usually playable to very good even at 5 mana, so getting one for 4 means this is probably an easy 1st pick, even if it never triggers.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Blood Aspirant
1R
Creature - Satyr Berserker
Whenever you sacrifice a permanent, put a +1/+1 counter on Blood Aspirant.

1R, T, Sacrifice a creature or enchantment: Blood Aspirant deals 1 damage to targe creature. That creature can't block this turn.

Maybe there's a spot in Jund Sacrifice for it?

Edit:

Same question but for Temur Elementals.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It makes more sense to me in Rakdos, that deck caree more about just knocking people over. The activated ability is pretty bad though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tectonic Giant seems like a strong card even if you don't care about the subtype, it's a must-kill threat that gives you value when your opponent kills it. Obvious issue is that it you need a deck that can clear a path for it to attack.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
A 3/4 is pretty safe to attack a lot of the time.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Jesus christ, an infinitely recurrable fleshbag marauder that doesn't require you to sac?

and it escapes with counters on it?

BRB, cutting plaguecrafter from my Marchesa EDH deck.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This whole time I thought Escape was one-shot.

wow

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Retromancer posted:

Jesus christ, an infinitely recurrable fleshbag marauder that doesn't require you to sac?

and it escapes with counters on it?

BRB, cutting plaguecrafter from my Marchesa EDH deck.

Except you have to escape her to get the sac effect which costs twice as much and cards in your grave. Plaguecrafter is still better if you have any sort of reanimation theme.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Elyv posted:

it seems about as good as 5 mana do nothings get, that's a lot of stats. maybe not enough because still 5 mana do nothing

gonna destroy people in limited too, geez

E: wait I misread it, it's almost definitely not good enough

anyway,

This only being 3 other cards seem to make this somewhat playable. 6 mana is pretty big though and it doesn't do anything from your hand.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Zephirum posted:

This whole time I thought Escape was one-shot.

wow

Escape is like Retrace, so long as it remains in your graveyard and you're capable of paying the cost you can do it as often as you'd like.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Got my Secret Lairs here in Taiwan. My LGS just had a guy they know in the US order a bunch and bring them back here when he came back. I got a stained glass Gideon and Ashiok so I call it a roaring success, even if these things seem like the most wasteful product WotC ever did, packaging-wise.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

AlternateNu posted:

Except you have to escape her to get the sac effect which costs twice as much and cards in your grave. Plaguecrafter is still better if you have any sort of reanimation theme.

Yeah I thought the marauder trigger was a regular etb on first glance. it's not playable.

that Satyr Berserker is some spice, though.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i love that they did a year end retrospective where they were like “yeah, we feel safe dialing up the power level a bit, but throne of Eldraine is probably as high as we intend to go for a while”

and then then very next set’s marquee mechanic is “cards that are infinitely recastable from the yard”

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i love that they did a year end retrospective where they were like “yeah, we feel safe dialing up the power level a bit, but throne of Eldraine is probably as high as we intend to go for a while”

and then then very next set’s marquee mechanic is “cards that are infinitely recastable from the yard”

Did you miss the part where you have to exile cards to escape?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s crazy how every discussion of these “broken” cards, except for perhaps Breach, is taking place in a vacuum where everyone’s graveyard has 20 cards in it at all times.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Escape seems like a cool mechanic

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Did you miss the part where you have to exile cards to escape?

yeah and you have to tap mana to cast spells, what's your point

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

250 card decks but without BoW, infinite Escape fuel :getin:

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

In limited at least, Escape feels like Delve: another resource that your deck needs to take into account. If you're not using it, you better be fast enough to kill the slower value decks before they can reliably get advantage from Escaping multiple times. If you're a slower deck, you better have a couple ways to make use of Escape or else you will fall behind.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

it's not like every escape card is going to yoyo endlessly out of the yard. when you put cards in your deck, that doesn't guarantee you will draw and cast them every game. the point is that one of the most broken things in magic's history is cards that you can play out of the yard, and the one limiting factor on such cards-- the fact that they tend to self-exile-- isn't present here. if even one escape card is playable, that just means you get to play with 6-7 virtual copies of it, and you only need to draw one of them. it makes decks incredibly consistent.

also, self-mill is almost always trivially easy, especially since we have already seen several good enablers and there's even a fetchland in standard. even field of ruin stocks your yard! any reasonably built escape deck is going to be able to reliably escape a card per turn for the 2-3 turn stretch that decides most games

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's weird to think of something like Merfolk Secretkeeper as just direct card advantage, because that's basically what it is as long as you have at least one escape card.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
What's the source on the centaur?

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

yeah and you have to tap mana to cast spells, what's your point

you don't have infinite mana, and you don't have infinite cards in your graveyard.

unless you're going way out of your way to fill your bin, the average Escape card is going to get cast like 3-4 times a game, tops. have we seen a card that matters if you do that?

in standard, because anything can be broken in eternal formats