Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Tried to watch 'The Messiah' on Netflix. Both very stupid AND anti-semitic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Tried to watch 'The Messiah' on Netflix. Both very stupid AND anti-semitic!

Was his father Biggus Dickus?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I don't know. I got through two episodes of cartoonishly evil Jews refusing to believe his divine grace and ~MySteRioUs ThInGs~ happening before calling it quits.

Also the main character is for some reason getting IVF i guess because she's a woman? also even though she's an American and works for the CIA she is ALSO Jewish for some reason, and therefore an evil skeptic
`

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Also the main character is for some reason getting IVF i guess because she's a woman? also even though she's an American and works for the CIA she is ALSO Jewish for some reason, and therefore an evil skeptic
`

there is a lot going in there, what part of that makes you upset?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

there is a lot going in there, what part of that makes you upset?

imagine a terrible evangelical movie (God's Not Dead) crossed with a terrible CIA thriller and a writer who feels some guilt about the refugee crisis at the border:

* evil incompetent journalists who want to exploit people's suffering and just spread lies and fake news to stir up trouble
* a one dimensional israeli security agent who is violent and evil and refuses to acknowledge the possibility of faith and divinity and is tortured by his horrible ways (which manifest as visions)
* the main character is a female CIA agent whose only defining feature is that she's getting IVF treatments. it's also revealed that like the Israeli agent she: doesn't believe in God and is Jewish and refuses to accept miracles as real
* there is a John Bolton lookalike
* the "messiah" character spends his entire screen time saying mysterious things and staring into the camera. he also looks like a model.
* a tornado demolishes a town (for some reason theres a plotline involving a bunch of people in Texas) but leaves the ~only church~ standing... leading to a bunch of shots of a church surrounded by devastation. Symbolism!
* a key plot point is a group of palestinian refugees who flee from syria to the israeli border, but instead of focusing on any of their experiences (are they just sitting in the desert for days? what happened to them in syria? how did they walk hundreds of miles with no food or water?), they're literally a plot device to have the main character get to israel

at various points the show tries to do something interesting... like examine how refugee experiences are universal from the middle east to the american south, but than abandons those threads to do try to create moments which are supposed to make you go 'woah'

It's bad. Really bad. Maybe it gets better? Maybe theres ANY character development?

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 2, 2020

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

imagine a terrible evangelical movie

imma stop you there.

Don't care. Thought it might be a weird israeli spy drama, but you saved me a click.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ooof. I was hoping it'd be an exploration of blind faith and the messiah guy would be a fake or something. Or at least have him actually be the devil or something who gets a shitton of evangelicals following him!

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Ooof. I was hoping it'd be an exploration of blind faith and the messiah guy would be a fake or something. Or at least have him actually be the devil or something who gets a shitton of evangelicals following him!

I didn't finish the series, maybe it gets better? Maybe those things happen? But, uh, it's real bad.

It just feels exploitative and dishonest. Refugee issues are important and serious, and summarizing them with your messiah character telling a US immigration judge that 'you were born here out of fate... and what is fate but the will of God?' is just insulting

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Fun fact:

At the beginning of its run, That 70's Show was set in 1976. The show premiered in 1998. So if you were to make a show in the year 2020 that was set the same amount of time in the past, you could have the characters all gather around the television and watch That 70's Show!

Actually, the gap between Happy Days' setting and its actual air date was only 19 years so we really ought to be getting our early 2000s nostalgia sitcom any day now. I assume it will be on ABC since they've already got two sitcoms set in the 1980s and two set in the 1990s.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

My biggest fear is they try to Game of Thrones it - although hopefully they edit out Mat getting raped and everyone laughing at him for it (because men can’t get raped)

If you are talking about the stuff involving the queen then I don’t think he was actually raped, he never makes any real effort to get away or to stop her. I see it more as hypocrisy from his side as he can’t handle women treating him the same way he treats them.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DC Murderverse posted:

Fun fact:

At the beginning of its run, That 70's Show was set in 1976. The show premiered in 1998. So if you were to make a show in the year 2020 that was set the same amount of time in the past, you could have the characters all gather around the television and watch That 70's Show!

Actually, the gap between Happy Days' setting and its actual air date was only 19 years so we really ought to be getting our early 2000s nostalgia sitcom any day now. I assume it will be on ABC since they've already got two sitcoms set in the 1980s and two set in the 1990s.

the hardest thing about setting shows past the 90's is getting access to music without going bankrupt.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hello TVIV goons. I love you all and hope everyone had a rad new years.

Thanks for being one of the most chill subforums despite the many disagreements and differences that crop up when discussing tee vee on this dead, gay comedy forum. Y'all are great, and I'm not just saying that b/c I might still be feeling some drugs from last night!!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Personally I am very looking forward to the Wheel of Time adaption that's coming to amazon later this year, it's one of my favorite dumb fantasy series and the casting info they've already released has me optimistic that it will be worth watching.

:same:

I am so afraid WoT is going to be bad. They should’ve done an adaptation focused on the original War of Power or the Aiel War or even the Seanchan. It’s going to be a tough adaptation... although imagining the Aiel history as Rand goes through the trials actually being shown could be amazing.

My biggest fear is they try to Game of Thrones it - although hopefully they edit out Mat getting raped and everyone laughing at him for it (because men can’t get raped)

:yeah:

Rosamund Pike as Moiraine tho. Will be worth it even if the adaptation ends up not being great.

Chairman Capone posted:

Y: The Last Man is one of my favorite comics. I remember very closely following all the news of the supposed movie development a decade ago. I really am hoping against hope that the show does not end up sucking.

I wish they would have made it way back when Shia LaBeouf was being tossed around as a potential Yorick. I honestly think he woulda killed the role.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Croatoan posted:

As for Better Call Saul, "There will be six seasons," Esposito said. "It seems like that's the way, the comfortable way, to end this show."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/better-call-saul-end-season-6-star-says-1203797

Well, we already got the movie so six seasons seems natural.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Spinning Out is very good so far!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wasn’t so hot on the first episode of Messiah, but I also don’t think you can call it anti-semitic just because there is an Israeli character who is a jerk.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DC Murderverse posted:

Fun fact:

Just have Mission Hill pick up where it left off so we actually get something good

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

I wasn’t so hot on the first episode of Messiah, but I also don’t think you can call it anti-semitic just because there is an Israeli character who is a jerk.

Also given the only thing I know about this dumb loving show, big spoiler i guess if you haven't read any news about this at all because Netflix themselves spoiled it in their loving credits, the jews are right about him and he is the antichrist

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Thank you to whoever restored order and comfiness to the thread title.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What shows are ending in 2020?

Arrow and the 100 will wrap up, what else is finishing up?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

quite a few, i don't know which of these have finished in the last couple of months though
https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/ending-or-cancelled-tv-shows-for-the-2019-20-season/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

quite a few, i don't know which of these have finished in the last couple of months though
https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/ending-or-cancelled-tv-shows-for-the-2019-20-season/

Nice. Looks like a mix of stuff that ended in 2019 is ending in 2020 or poo poo that never even existed like Ghost Rider.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Rhyno posted:

Supernatural :angel:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Just have Mission Hill pick up where it left off so we actually get something good

Mission Hill, much like Daria, is way too entrenched in a deeply Gen X worldview to work today. Sure, you'd get a cult nostalgia audience but it would baffle anyone under 30 or over 50, which is not an idea that would be particularly attractive to advertisers or streaming services.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

feedmyleg posted:

Mission Hill, much like Daria, is way too entrenched in a deeply Gen X worldview to work today. Sure, you'd get a cult nostalgia audience but it would baffle anyone under 30 or over 50, which is not an idea that would be particularly attractive to advertisers or streaming services.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

feedmyleg posted:

Explain CBS catering to olds for the past 50 years.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They have an empty nest and, if they're not impoverished, retirement spending. That's why I said 30-50. Below 30 and above 50 are more attractive from a demographic standpoint and also happens to correspond to older millennials and Gen X.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I just had a weird experience. I went into the Mandalorian thread and it's not a bad thread? What the hell, TVIV?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Croatoan posted:

So I just had a weird experience. I went into the Mandalorian thread and it's not a bad thread? What the hell, TVIV?

YET

you know what you must do

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Croatoan posted:

You haven't posted in it yet, right?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

You haven't posted in it yet, right?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Rude. Also, there's some hubbub on twitter that Disney hosed JJ Abrams version of TROS? Meh, who knows. I thought it was just ok.

This is where it came from.
https://www.reddit.com/r/saltierthancrait/comments/eisnd8/heres_what_ive_been_told_from_a_source_that/
Who knows if they're real or someone just fanning the stupid Star Wars fans flames.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Croatoan posted:

Rude. Also, there's some hubbub on twitter that Disney hosed JJ Abrams version of TROS? Meh, who knows. I thought it was just ok.

This is where it came from.
https://www.reddit.com/r/saltierthancrait/comments/eisnd8/heres_what_ive_been_told_from_a_source_that/
Who knows if they're real or someone just fanning the stupid Star Wars fans flames.

At least a few of the things here are true, like the movie originally beginning with Rey's training (actually a longer version of the flashback scene with young Luke and Leia before it going into Rey training) and the Mustafar scene being much longer (and including an animatronic puppet alien called the Oracle). There were leakers who were spot-on months ago with the final cut of the movie talking about how these were things changed.

Other parts of this are less likely. Of all the people who worked on Star Wars films under Disney, Abrams had the most leverage, because of the time crunch in both cases as well as his previous record of success going into TROS. I don't think there was any friction between him and Kennedy here.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Am I just a fun hater or all the musical numbers in this season of Mrs. Maisel a little excessive

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just watched the first episode of the second season of You. Effectively thought that Will is going to navigate himself into a stupid predicament this time around, but then the episode ends with a "Yes, but really no..."

Does this keep happening over the rest of the season?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just watched the first episode of the second season of You. Effectively thought that Will is going to navigate himself into a stupid predicament this time around, but then the episode ends with a "Yes, but really no..."

Does this keep happening over the rest of the season?

I've only seen a few episodes of the first season, but isn't that how pretty much every episode ends, with something being set up that the start of the next one subverts?

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
Wheel of Time remains the longest series of books I've read (followed in a distant second by Malazan Book of the Fallen), but despite my persistence in getting them read I wouldn't say I enjoyed them very much (too many filler pages is my main complaint). I am kind of scratching my head at the idea of making a show based on it because it's very Generic Fantasy and, while it has some cool concepts, the world feels very bland. The first act of book one is one of the most standard Hero On Farm plots of all time, and I don't think anything below LoTR movies level of attention to detail is going to breathe enough life into it to engage the average person. It's a difficult task, but I hope they pull through.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just give me a flippin' show about a band of adventurers getting low-stakes quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Chairman Capone posted:

I've only seen a few episodes of the first season, but isn't that how pretty much every episode ends, with something being set up that the start of the next one subverts?
Hmm, really? It's been a while.

I'm mostly annoyed because there's tons of internal dialog along the episode pretending like he's avoiding stepping into another turd, including key scenes trying to reinforce that, and whoops, end of the episode, it was all bullshit the whole time. Found it quite annoying.