Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I haven't seen any memes of this movie yet and I assume that means it's not a success or not as successful as hoped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Hey, at least one of the three films that was Frankensteined together into the final cut of Rogue One was pretty good, that's better than any of the main trilogy films managed!

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

Hey, at least one of the three films that was Frankensteined together into the final cut of Rogue One was pretty good, that's better than any of the main trilogy films managed!

That's such a low standard that it seems like self-harm.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Robotnik Nudes posted:

That's such a low standard that it seems like self-harm.

Welcome to Star Wars fandom.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I wouldn't say I liked Rogue One, but in retrospect it at least felt like the writers were trying to come up with a story about how the rebellion would work, and how the universe would work? Like the scenes they had where the rebel alliance is acting like an alliance of rebel factions, debating whether to cut and run now that the doomsday weapon is coming. I liked that stuff, it was more thought out than anything in the ST.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I have a huge problem with how Rogue One and Rebels depict the Rebellion. Like, I get that they're supposed to feel small and scrappy, but the execution of that just makes them feel like a total joke—and not in a purposeful, thematic way. It doesn't help that Rebels depicts all of its characters as complete idiots, but together with RO's confused motivations it feels like a total failure of an organization that got extremely loving lucky that a force-sensitive yokel just so happened to land in their lap. And again, not as a purposeful exploration of the idea. At the end of the day, it doesn't feel like a rebellion which reflects the will of oppressed peoples across thousands of worlds so much as it feels like a fringe group of terrorists with no real ethos. It's probably Disney wanting to keep politics out of their populist space fantasy movies, but not allowing the rebels to have a clear and distinct point of view on what they oppose and why they oppose it just makes the whole thing feel listless and adrift.

As awful as the EU was, its depiction of the Empire and Rebellion made them feel like real organizations with goals, policies, and perspectives. Disney jettisoning the leftist themes of the 90s EU Rebellion was really shooting themselves in the foot. The only thing we know about post-Disney Empire/First Order now is that they steal babies, keep slaves, and jack up prices of weird-looking space fruit.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 2, 2020

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I'm already dreading what Disney's almost certainly doing to gently caress up the second season of the Mandalorian.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Horrible Taste posted:

IIRC Edwards was saying in interviews before Rogue One even came out that he was taking a long break from Hollywood and that's why he left the Godzilla sequel that became King of the Monsters. I don't doubt that the clusterfuck that was Rogue One production was a big part of why he decided to take a break.

There's also the Disney fuckery with the Solo movie as well. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if all that stuff was true and JJ Abrams really did get messed around just like the others did. I doubt his version of the movie would have been much (if any) better at all, but given how RoS was obviously chopped to bits and the precedent with other directors I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

A Lord and Miller cut would have been drastically better than the bullshit Ron Howard Solo. And as far as I know, Rogue One was a pretty "extreme" movie truly showing the Rebels as terrorists - which essentially they are.

Disney fucks with everything. Studios do in general but we just hear about it so much more now with leakers. The Sony leaks should have given the industry a shakeup with their bullshit exposed as a bunch of hacks playing with billions of dollars.

I am sure the JJ cut of RoS would have been at least enjoyable as right now it's a joyless trudge through the mud.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

sigher posted:

All these ideas are poo poo.

Star Wars works when they're adventure films with charismatic characters, the war part isn't that important. When you start shoveling dumb politics (Prequels) or make a war film (Rogue One) it doesn't work and it sucks.

i would like a recommend a film for you, its called star wars episode 9

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Go watch Alita: Battle Angel

A l33t. A battle Angel

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

JBP posted:

I haven't seen any memes of this movie yet and I assume that means it's not a success or not as successful as hoped.

TROS is just a constantly tumbling kaleidoscope of Star Wars Components and that doesn't lend itself to memes v well I guess. It's like a DDoS attack on the brain lol

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Cheesus posted:

I'm already dreading what Disney's almost certainly doing to gently caress up the second season of the Mandalorian.

One: Baby Yoda needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two: whenever Baby Yoda's not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking 'Where's Baby Yoda?'

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Because we live in a terrible world in every possible way, #ReleaseTheJJCut is trending and people seem to be convinced that if only Hayden Christensen has shown up at the end, this would have been a good movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Disney mandate: Season 2
Din Djarin comes into possession of Anakin Skywalkers lightsaber, it was salvaged by Kwiil in Cloud City and he left him a message on the ship about it's location and his knowledge of Jedi before he died. He must get it at the end of episode 1, fight Moff Gideon with it in the last episode, and deliver the saber to Maz Kanata in exchange for information on The Child's homeworld.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

The Little Death posted:

I wouldn't say I liked Rogue One, but in retrospect it at least felt like the writers were trying to come up with a story about how the rebellion would work, and how the universe would work? Like the scenes they had where the rebel alliance is acting like an alliance of rebel factions, debating whether to cut and run now that the doomsday weapon is coming. I liked that stuff, it was more thought out than anything in the ST.

I feel the same way. Never really understood the Rogue One hate, because I liked all the contextual things it added to the overall story of ANH, and the Rebellion.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Boxman posted:

Because we live in a terrible world in every possible way, #ReleaseTheJJCut is trending and people seem to be convinced that if only Hayden Christensen has shown up at the end, this would have been a good movie.

Corporations have got twitter marketing down to a science.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost
Yeeeessss turn to hate, let the seed of anger grow....let the Star Wars fans turn on Disney and use them to fight the MCU and their fans and bring Disney down....yeeesssss....let it be humbled from within

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Din Djarin comes into possession of Anakin Skywalkers lightsaber, it was salvaged by Kwiil in Cloud City and he left him a message on the ship about it's location and his knowledge of Jedi before he died. He must get it at the end of episode 1, fight Moff Gideon with it in the last episode, and deliver the saber to Maz Kanata in exchange for information on The Child's homeworld.
drat that sounds spot on.

But not what https://talktotransformer.com had in mind:

quote:

The Mandalorian, Season 2 synopsis: Luke, Threepio, and Artoo head off to a ranch after discovering the fate of the millennium drawing near. While on the ranch, Threepio reveals that the Empire destroyed his home world of Rodia and that he came from the planet of Naboo. The trio encounter Rodia's native Rodian, R2-D2, a rival of the Jedi in many ways and even in identity. To their surprise, the rest of the ranch isn't quite the same after R2 returns from the Empire, and they learn that the crime lord Jabba the Hutt intends to bring about the end of their world by launching a nuclear missile at the town of Tatooine.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Gatts posted:

Yeeeessss turn to hate, let the seed of anger grow....let the Star Wars fans turn on Disney and use them to fight the MCU and their fans and bring Disney down....yeeesssss....let it be humbled from within
I feel like all it'll do to the MCU is make it look better by comparison.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cheesus posted:

drat that sounds spot on.

But not what https://talktotransformer.com had in mind:

Ooh, ooh, I love this game:

quote:

"There's been no one for so long. Who are you?"

"I'm Rey."

"Rey who?"

"Rey
iz Rey. Rey who's not who I thought she was." She then proceeds to do a straight pose in front of Poe Dameron, in addition to taking a finger to her lip to symbolize her being hiding her identity.

"Finn," comments Rey.

"You're not Finn. You're Rey."

"No I'm not."

"Then who the hell are you?"

"Who?"

"I have no idea who you are!"

"Of course I'm not a Jedi. My name's Rey."

"You're in fact not

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

https://mobile.twitter.com/Dataracer117/status/1212299262865768450

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

This is what the next decade of Star Wars is going to be: justifying the lazy story decisions of the sequel trilogy and filling in the narrative gaps.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Nvm I like the movie now

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Clarste posted:

I like how even in the super sympathetic bullet list, the movie they describe doesn't sound very good.

The only part of that list that sounds like it would have improved the movie any is the longer Kylo death scene. (I wouldn't have minded seeing Finn & Poe together, but that wasn't a cutting issue.)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost

YEEEESSS UNLIMITED HATE! UNLIMITED POWER! HAHAH *wheez*

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I mean I thought Adam Driver was really good in these movies too, but this seems excessive.

Also I distinctly remember thinking "please don't kiss" in the moments building up to that and having to force myself to not boo it in the theater when it actually happened.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I loving hate geek "culture".

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

It was the silliest death too. He's not bloody or coughing, no real struggle, he doesn't even seem that tired. They kiss and then he just lies down and quickly fades away. And of course they had to make sure his body disappeared immediately because they'd just established that Jedis can bring people back to life. It's lucky that Rey the ultimate light-side user didn't vanish that fast!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Thanks to Wookieepedia, I now know the truth about the Knights of Ren, and once again it's gloriously stupid. They're the Sons of Anarchy, but they dress like the demon bikers from Mandy, also they don't have bikes.

Abrams said they were going for a Mad Max vibe, but with Star Wars being a 70s New Age deal, it's impossible for me not to think of stuff more like Psychomania and Werewolves on Wheels. It's a dark mirror to Luke becoming a hippie warrior and creating the First Earth Battalion.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The Reylos are ultimately right because Kylo Ren's and Rey's endings suck and don't actually resolve anything (other than who Rey's parents were in the most literal sense I guess??)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I read that first comic and it's loving horrendous. The Kylo Ren one.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hindsight is 2020, so I'm reviewing that one spoilerboard now:

https://www.docdroid.net/PDN76rD/the-rise-of-skywalker-spoilerboard-v40.pdf#page=6

Everything in the movie is in the spoilerboard. Jesus, the entire movie really did leak months in advance.

The spoilerboard is more detailed than the loving movie! Stuff we know to have been effectively true but cut or implied by the backstory is in here. Not only do the leaks spoil the entire movie, they spoil everything that got cut from it.

For the grand, grand majority, the leaks are not incorrect, merely cut or reorganized in the end product. Notable exceptions include: "never to be seen again", so I guess they added the kiss late in production; Rey being with the rest of the trio in the end shot; Rey disassembling the lightsabers to make her own instead of using her staff to make it instead (this one I'm not completely sure about, since it's hard to tell); Duel of the Fates is not in the movie at all. Everything else is completely accurate.

Holy gently caress.

At one point, this is all I wanted out of this movie. Too little, too late.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Every single Skywalker is dead! Merry loving Christmas!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

mycot posted:

The Reylos are ultimately right because Kylo Ren's and Rey's endings suck and don't actually resolve anything (other than who Rey's parents were in the most literal sense I guess??)
For a certain definition of "right" that involves screaming, crying, and making death threats about how right you are.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Irony Be My Shield posted:

In mine it rolls the credits after Rey murders Chewbacca.

I'd have enjoyed it a lot more if I walked out after the quicksand and pretended it ended there.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Halloween Jack posted:

For a certain definition of "right" that involves screaming, crying, and making death threats about how right you are.

I respect that more than people who liked the movie for resolving the "plot hole" of Rey's parents.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tag yourselves I’m Gaysy Ridley

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pollyanna posted:

Hindsight is 2020, so I'm reviewing that one spoilerboard now:

https://www.docdroid.net/PDN76rD/the-rise-of-skywalker-spoilerboard-v40.pdf#page=6

Everything in the movie is in the spoilerboard. Jesus, the entire movie really did leak months in advance.

The spoilerboard is more detailed than the loving movie! Stuff we know to have been effectively true but cut or implied by the backstory is in here. Not only do the leaks spoil the entire movie, they spoil everything that got cut from it.

For the grand, grand majority, the leaks are not incorrect, merely cut or reorganized in the end product. Notable exceptions include: "never to be seen again", so I guess they added the kiss late in production; Rey being with the rest of the trio in the end shot; Rey disassembling the lightsabers to make her own instead of using her staff to make it instead (this one I'm not completely sure about, since it's hard to tell); Duel of the Fates is not in the movie at all. Everything else is completely accurate.

Holy gently caress.

At one point, this is all I wanted out of this movie. Too little, too late.

The only thing in it I doubt now that the movie is out is Rey reassembling the lightsaber remains onto her staff because there's no way in hell they'd think of such a 101 level new toy+merchandise opportunity+unique look weapon for the ST main character and then not go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hobo Clown posted:

It was the silliest death too. He's not bloody or coughing, no real struggle, he doesn't even seem that tired. They kiss and then he just lies down and quickly fades away. And of course they had to make sure his body disappeared immediately because they'd just established that Jedis can bring people back to life. It's lucky that Rey the ultimate light-side user didn't vanish that fast!

It's outright stated that they have to give away their own life force to do that, so it's pretty clear that between a dead person + a seriously injured person there's just not enough to go around for both. The bigger problem is that when Rey is using healing powers earlier they never actually demonstrate any real toll on her, so while the explanation is there it isn't well supported.

Not that the death scene still isn't stupid and abrupt anyhow.