Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm weirded out by people who presumably self-identify as antiracist, anti-sexist, etc. zeroing in on things like Kylo saying "You know I can take whatever I want" and making him out as a symbolic Abusive Boyfriend, instead of his command of a vast fascist military machine.

Straight White Shark posted:

It's outright stated that they have to give away their own life force to do that, so it's pretty clear that between a dead person + a seriously injured person there's just not enough to go around for both.
How many miracles can Baby Yoda perform before he ages into a regular crusty-rear end Yoda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Can a body make or replenish midochlorians? Maybe baby Yoda’s dark secret is at night be sucks it out like a vampire from animals and people to keep himself cute. Clearly the others didn’t realize this and use up their “life force”

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Something is fishy about the way the gold saber is shot. You never see the whole thing, right? It's unclear if it's the whole staff or she broke a bit off or what. Seems weird

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Halloween Jack posted:

For a certain definition of "right" that involves screaming, crying, and making death threats about how right you are.

And threatening to sue people for defamation

I wonder if we'll hear from anyone on production today, now that the JJ cut is trending on Twitter.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm going to assume that the lawsuit is for defaming and slandering Kylo Ren.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

feedmyleg posted:

This is what the next decade of Star Wars is going to be: justifying the lazy story decisions of the sequel trilogy and filling in the narrative gaps.

But also I kind of want to see him lightsaber duel Moff Gideon

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I can't help but be curious about when they're going to make media set post-Episode IX, because the way they hosed around with the setting really makes it anything-goes from there on out. Are there any more remnants of the Empire left? Is there a New New Republic? Is Rey gonna start another Jedi temple? Was R2-D2 just piloted by porgs the whole time?

I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled the same stunt from Star Trek: Into Darkness where they just retcon the change to how warp drives work.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

mycot posted:

The Reylos are ultimately right because Kylo Ren's and Rey's endings suck and don't actually resolve anything (other than who Rey's parents were in the most literal sense I guess??)

Wait did they actually tell us who her parents were? We know she's palpatine's granddaughter but I thought her parents were just vaguely handwaved away, like oh and then palpatine had his grandkid kidnapped and his adult child murdered for some reason blah blah look over there!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I can't help but be curious about when they're going to make media set post-Episode IX, because the way they hosed around with the setting really makes it anything-goes from there on out. Are there any more remnants of the Empire left? Is there a New New Republic? Is Rey gonna start another Jedi temple? Was R2-D2 just piloted by porgs the whole time?

I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled the same stunt from Star Trek: Into Darkness where they just retcon the change to how warp drives work.

The reason why the old EU had decades of stories after Endor was because 1. no one was honestly expecting more movies, much less sequels and 2. people cared about the characters

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't expect Disney to produce spin-offs in every medium for decades; I expect them to hyperexploit Star Wars until the franchise is burnt out, because that's what capitalism does.

AFAIK, everything they have coming out and everything they have planned is set before the sequel trilogy, so they don't have to resolve any thorny issues.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No need to rush. When the time comes around and the prequels are fully rehabilitated, they can do a soft seaboot about sheev-rey turning the new new republic into the new new empire

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Disney seems to realize that they screwed the pooch on the sequel trilogy and no one is interested in what happens next for that timeframe, or even what happened during it. A slight amount of interest before with regards to Luke's temple gently caress-up, but even then, people for the most part hate that Luke failed at it.

Scratch that, I guess. No one has any interest in what happens after roughly 20 years before TFA. Goddamn.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ooh, Rey is living on Tatooine! That must mean she’s there to free the slaves. What’s that? She doesn’t and just becomes a hermit again? Ok, cool, cool.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Why would she? It was established early on that she has no friends because she thinks she's better than them. Luke taught her how to sit on a rock and think about waves and flowers, not empathy.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Honestly, Kylo/Ben kissing Rey and then immediately dying was one of the best parts of RoS. It made me laugh, anyway.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ruddiger posted:

Ooh, Rey is living on Tatooine! That must mean she’s there to free the slaves. What’s that? She doesn’t and just becomes a hermit again? Ok, cool, cool.

I think Rey just went to Tatooine to bury the Skywalker family lightsabers in a place they mostly despised.

Figure she's going to move somewhere with lots and lots of green grasses and fresh water. Because she apparently only has that one outfit and she needs to wash it frequently.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I can think of one character in all of star wars interested in doing anything in particular about the rampant practice of slavery. Her desire was treated as a joke and she ended up being an eternally trapped forgotten slave unable to even express her plight. Good franchise

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm going to assume that the lawsuit is for defaming and slandering Kylo Ren.

To be especific, that's a reylo threatening to sue one of the people who posted a collection of reylo fans making GBS threads on Boyega.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/01/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-editor-rushed-production-fan-service-1202199976/

quote:

“We were definitely still trying to figure out a lot of stuff,” Brandon said about the sped-up editing process. “It’s a struggle. It affected everything. About a third of the way through, [Lucasfilm president] Kathy [Kennedy] was like, ‘JJ has got to spend more time in the cutting room.’ And I knew that wasn’t going to happen. Not with the schedule that we were on. Not with what he was dealing with on a daily basis…he was just exhausted at the end of the day.”

According to Brandon’s estimates, the “Rise of Skywalker” crew had three months less to work on the latest “Star Wars” movie than was the case for “Force Awakens.” Disney set a December 20, 2019 release date for the movie that could not be moved, forcing Brandon to edit on set so that the production schedule was maintained.

“I suggested I cut on the set…we had two tented rooms…so I just went wherever JJ was, usually 10 feet away from the camera, wherever the camera was,” Brandon said. “And I just mobile-y cut. And in between takes, [J.J.] could sit down with me and we could go over things.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Oh no! gently caress!

I’m inside the theatre! lmao

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

They literally could have cut 2-3 macguffins and 2-3 entire planets and lost nothing

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Oh no! gently caress!

Enjoy the film that will inevitably win the Oscar for Best Editing.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Ingmar terdman posted:

They literally could have cut 2-3 macguffins and 2-3 entire planets and lost nothing

But then you'd lose the "They fly now!" routine

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Everyone posted:

Honestly, Kylo/Ben kissing Rey and then immediately dying was one of the best parts of RoS. It made me laugh, anyway.

It is easily the funniest part.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh no! gently caress!

Holy poo poo keep us updated :laffo:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Anakin: Woah are you a Jedi?
Qui-Gonn: What makes you say that?
Anakin: You've got a lightsaber! Only a Jedi can carry that.
Qui-Gonn: Perhaps I killed a Jedi and stole his weapon.
Anakin: Are you here to free the slaves?
Qui-Gonn: lol no

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Why did Anakin think his mother was fine during those ten years between Phantom and AoTC until he gets a force vision and why didn’t padme just pay Watto for her after Naboo was rescued?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Honestly surprised that with the reaction The Mandolorian has gotten, that Disney hasn't announced that the Boba Fest film is back on.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Remember when everyone thought a 7 Samurai Jedi movie had gotten announced and the internet loved it and Disney had to confirm it didn't exist and wouldn't get made?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Davros1 posted:

Honestly surprised that with the reaction The Mandolorian has gotten, that Disney hasn't announced that the Boba Fest film is back on.

I'm guessing what meager ideas would have formed the basis of that movie got included into the series already.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Oh no! gently caress!

You were safe outside of there you stupid gently caress!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Time to bring up the Bounty Hunter Trilogy backstab chart again.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Bogus Adventure posted:

Hey, how many people are brave enough to put so much lens flare in a movie that it's impossible to see what's going on?

You can easily tell what's going on here, what do you think is obscured?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

YaketySass posted:

I'm guessing what meager ideas would have formed the basis of that movie got included into the series already.

I unironically think to make a Boba Fett movie they should do what was done with the Lone Wolf & Cub film series in Japan -> Shogun Assassin in the US. Just compress all of the action scenes into a single movie strung together by an adult version of The Child's narration of stuff he barely remembers from his youngest years about the man who saved his life and cared for him. Then they can just color the armor green digitally since that's a lot easier to do today.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Blood Boils posted:

You can easily tell what's going on here, what do you think is obscured?

Well you see--- MEMES

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Miching Mallecho posted:

Why did Anakin think his mother was fine during those ten years between Phantom and AoTC until he gets a force vision and why didn’t padme just pay Watto for her after Naboo was rescued?

He thought she was fine because he thought she was still owned by Watto and Watto wasn't about to treat her any worse than before. Padme didn't emancipate Shmi because she didn't care.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you want the Jedi opinion on slaves just listen to Ben. "Why do I have the feeling we've picked up another pathetic lifeform?"

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If you want the Jedi opinion on slaves just listen to Ben. "Why do I have the feeling we've picked up another pathetic lifeform?"

"If droids could think there'd be none of us left"

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Miching Mallecho posted:

Because she wasn't captured and being tortured by the Tusken Raiders until the time he started having those visions.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

A New Hope is literally a farm boy achieving his dream of joining a uniformed military battling Space Hitler. There is then a long segment stolen directly from a WW2 movie. Then Luke gets a medal in a big medal ceremony as the uniformed military he joins celebrates winning their battle to destroy Space Hitler's Space Genocide Weapon.

The tangled web of incestuous character focus that filled the sequel trilogy doesn't even get started until ESB, and Luke's climactic personal scene has literally no impact on the War section of ROTJ. The Emperor considers the attack to be merely a helpful friends-killing backdrop for his project of converting Luke, and the Emperor is *wrong*! He loses the space war.

Joining the Rebels isn't Luke's dream, his only dream was to "Join the academy" which apparently is the Imperial army (and that isn't much of a dream); he just says gently caress it when his only family is killed and Obi-Wan tells him about Jedis and his father was one.

But no one cares who wins the war, it's not important; you don't care Palpatine loses the war you care that he dies (well, so you thought). You could have Luke as a low-level worker fighting his way through his office building to stop CEO Palpatine from causing a mass lay-off as Palpatine promises him the hopes of middle management. The space war makes for really awesome set pieces though, so it's better for it; though I wouldn't mind Office Star Wars because lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

sigher posted:

But no one cares who wins the war, it's not important;

what a completely insane thing to say