Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

good to see marissa got work after yahoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

r u ready to WALK posted:

I am sure putting neural networks in charge of important stuff won't lead to bad things happening ever

But they're smarter and more reliable than human's !!!!!*
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50857759

*According to google who want to steal all your health data

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Agile Vector posted:

good to see marissa got work after yahoo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SO DEMANDING posted:

get this: you can still have lan parties! all your old games work fine with integrated graphics so everyone can just bring their laptops, plus you're all old enough to drink now!!

turn your monitor on and SCROLL UP EIGHT POSTS sheesh

they’re even more fun as an adult imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jre posted:

But they're smarter and more reliable than human's !!!!!*
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50857759

*According to google who want to steal all your health data

makes sense that ai cant outperform our genius brain language systems but can beat us at divining cancer from crappy black and white photos

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

echinopsis posted:

makes sense that ai cant outperform our genius brain language systems but can beat us at divining cancer from crappy black and white photos

it can't do that either

e: a summary that isn't paywalled

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 3, 2020

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
medical "ai" is dumb as poo poo, especially considering most providers don't do even the most basic analytics and quality/process control.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
lol @ Shaggar giving his "expert" opinions on any random subject.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lambert

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Inspired thinking of tim's top engineers working hard in the new year to try to figure out some way to have a working keyboard on a laptop smaller than 16 inches

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

medical "ai" is dumb as poo poo, especially considering most providers don't do even the most basic analytics and quality/process control.

this is true, it is hugely unsurprising that studies find that applying ai improves healthcare, since every study that applies any kind of rigor to healthcare (including incredibly dumb expert systems in the 80s just reminding doctors and nurses of really obvious stuff) tend to improve it. healthcare is extremely resistant to improvement though, and it is not even an american thing.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this is true, it is hugely unsurprising that studies find that applying ai improves healthcare, since every study that applies any kind of rigor to healthcare (including incredibly dumb expert systems in the 80s just reminding doctors and nurses of really obvious stuff) tend to improve it. healthcare is extremely resistant to improvement though, and it is not even an american thing.

If I were an underpaid, overworked nurse in shitstain, AL I would also be resistant to anything that added to my workload.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is hugely unsurprising that studies find that applying ai improves healthcare

It's hugely unsurprising because the studies are always done by people trying to sell you the AI

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

jre posted:

It's hugely unsurprising because the studies are always done by people trying to sell you the AI

they are just following standard procedures.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
AI is a tool. it requires a skilled user to apply it, it doesn’t replace skill. if a doctor plugs in a set of symptoms and the software gives a list of possible conditions, it takes skill to determine which ones are really relevant in this case.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

The Management posted:

AI is a tool. it requires a skilled user to apply it, it doesn’t replace skill. if a doctor plugs in a set of symptoms and the software gives a list of possible conditions, it takes skill to determine which ones are really relevant in this case.

yeah that's not ai

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that’s basic process controls straight out of the 80s and most providers don’t bother with it. it’s why you end up with massively inconsistent outcomes

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Wheany posted:

yeah that's not ai

AI is anything you want it to be

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

that’s basic process controls straight out of the 80s and most providers don’t bother with it. it’s why you end up with massively inconsistent outcomes

massively inconsistent outcomes, now that sounds like machine learning!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wheany posted:

yeah that's not ai

*points at diagnostic flowchart*: ai

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

*points at diagnostic flowchart*: ai

i've heard people refer to flowcharts as "algorithms" before. not sure how i feel about that. like, maybe technically correct, but it also seems buzzword-y to me. idk.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

AI typically beats humans at all decision tasks, especially ones that require knowledge or skill. Not because AI is good, but because humans are really, really bad.

We have cognitive biases that make us systematically wrong and far less knowledge than we believe (as we conflate access to knowledge, i.e., Google, with possessing that same knowledge). Add to that that we perceive what we expect, not what we see. We don't believe that we suck because of hindsight bias, Texas sharpshooter effect and survivorship bias all causing us to think we make better decisions than we do.

Groups of people almost always beat individuals; the cognitive biases average out and it is more likely that "obviously correct in hindsight" answers are picked since more people can provide answers. AI still have biases but typically to much less of a degree than individuals, and they are scored on both their correct and incorrect decisions.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

klafbang posted:

AI typically beats humans at all decision tasks, especially ones that require knowledge or skill. Not because AI is good, but because humans are really, really bad.

What if the decision is: drive full speed into a fire engine yes/no ?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

jre posted:

What if the decision is: drive full speed into a fire engine yes/no ?

test to transformer says

quote:

A fire engine will be less likely to hit you even if they see you with your shirt off.

seems as good answer as any.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

klafbang posted:

Groups of people almost always beat individuals; the cognitive biases average out and it is more likely that "obviously correct in hindsight" answers are picked since more people can provide answers. AI still have biases but typically to much less of a degree than individuals, and they are scored on both their correct and incorrect decisions.

remember when ibm was all about "the wisdom of crowds"?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

infernal machines posted:

remember when ibm was all about "the wisdom of crowds"?

i was watching some science youtube video the other day and the presenter said this. i immediately started thinking of trump getting elected and also brexit.

the dude meant to say "regression to the mean" anyway.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Management posted:

AI is anything you want it to be

its a billion dollar valuation for my solution to something

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

don't ask what it is because it doesn't exist but it's whatever the problem is

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

the sheepish lion

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ai is a meaningless term. machine learning is a filter that nobody understands and can’t prove is correct.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

when i got titanfall 2 it was 65 gigs and i was like what the gently caress, this is just an fps, what's going on? so i looked it up and it turns out that about 35gb of that is multiple copies of uncompressed audio files for the entire game in every language version. multiple copies because of disc access, uncompressed because the xbox 360 didn't have enough power to devote a whole thread to decompressing audio in real time, and they carried those two limitations to every other version

a+

I got modern warfare last week and it was 165gb because of this bullshit + the campaign

I bought a COD game to play multiplayer not play some lovely rear end CIA propaganda campaign

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I got modern warfare last week and it was 165gb because of this bullshit + the campaign

I bought a COD game to play multiplayer not play some lovely rear end CIA propaganda campaign

but the devs said it was "apolitical" so it is not a propaganda and your're wrong

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
interesting thread about (of all things) mac ie 5

https://twitter.com/jimmyg/status/1213810286077054977

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FMguru posted:

this is excellent thanks

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i remember ie5 for mac. it seemed to work well enough but thankfully was just a stopgap until the world's greatest web browser safari came out

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FMguru posted:

in which microsoft, completely by accident and without any knowledge of apple's plans, creates the aqua ui style

also creates a fully standards compliant rendering engine, that is never used anywhere else

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

infernal machines posted:

in which microsoft, completely by accident and without any knowledge of apple's plans, creates the aqua ui style

also creates a fully standards compliant rendering engine, that is never used anywhere else

it matched the colorful imacs of the day, you could theme your browser to match your specific imac color

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also to some extent mac os

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

quote:

I challenge you, though, to imagine not the worst that a future AR experience could be, but the best. Imagine instead an AR experience not designed by advertisers, but by Apple.

with AR apple can beam U2 music videos right onto your face instead of just your music library