Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Replicas was goofy fun

Whats the word on this new Underwater film with k-stew and tj miller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Darthemed posted:

Hogan had Santa with Muscles, Mr. Nanny, and Thunder in Paradise.
Dude, how do you list all those but leave out the brilliance that is SUBURBAN COMMANDO (originally what Devito and Ahnuld were signed on for before the Twins script happened).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

got any sevens posted:

Replicas was goofy fun

Like I know it’s not the Meg in my brain

But my body keeps saying it’s the Meg

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Pollyanna posted:

I don't understand what exactly this thread is.

General movie in production discussion, general why is this movie in production? discussion, pages and pages of derails, and often General Chat II

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FilthyImp posted:

Dude, how do you list all those but leave out the brilliance that is SUBURBAN COMMANDO (originally what Devito and Ahnuld were signed on for before the Twins script happened).

I think it's all attempts to recapture the magic of Arnie without realising he was perfectly good at being a comic actor.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

got any sevens posted:

I'm apparently the resident cheerleader for it, so I'll quote myself from when the trailer first arrived:

Alehkhs posted:

Back when word came out that James Cameron's followup to Aliens was set in the deep sea with a possible extraterrestrial influence, several competing studios thought, "Ah, he's making Aliens under the sea."

Film projects like Deepstar Six, Leviathan, and Lords of the Deep all ran with that misconception to some degree and rushed out films to beat The Abyss to the box office, but no one really fully embraced "Aliens under the sea."

Underwater looks like it's just 30 years late to the party, and I'm extremely here for it. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCFWEzIVILc

https://twitter.com/UnderwaterMovie/status/1203720899012235266

Someone in the Horror Thread noted earlier today that Deep Rising also came out in January, so it's just carrying a torch at this point.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Deep Star Six remake we always wanted.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Don't really understand people who love Kristen Stewart. She looks perpetually bored. Apparently they finished filming this almost 3 years ago. I'm guessing TJ Miller getting a bunch of his lovely behavior exposed right about that time might have something to do with the delay.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Casimir Radon posted:

Don't really understand people who love Kristen Stewart. She looks perpetually bored. Apparently they finished filming this almost 3 years ago. I'm guessing TJ Miller getting a bunch of his lovely behavior exposed right about that time might have something to do with the delay.

Thank you! I was going to say "didn't K-Stew shave her head and dye the stubble blonde in like 2016?!?"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Casimir Radon posted:

Yeah I’ve seen her in a lot of things, but she just does not emote well and comes off as disinterested

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Both replicas and serenity were the trash gifts from god that everyone is showing their rear end acting like cats is.

Also Kristen Stewart “emotes” fine you unbelievable weenies.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember the local video store when I was a kid had a copy of Deepstar Six and the cover terrifying me. Never saw the actual movie but from what I heard it's not as good as what scared kid me imagined it would be like.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Serenity has to be one of the more bizarre plot descriptions I’ve ever read for a film, and that includes poo poo like Book of Henry

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

K. Waste posted:

Also Kristen Stewart “emotes” fine you unbelievable weenies.

:emptyquote:

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
OP seems to be saying Unplanned made -17M overseas, which would be great, but i dont believe is true.

Someone spoil Serenity for me, i'm too lazy for Wikipedia and goons are usually more entertaining.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Someone spoil Serenity for me, i'm too lazy for Wikipedia and goons are usually more entertaining.

It's all a video game made by a kid who wants to gently caress his mom.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Witches - A remake of the Roald Dahl book (I guess technically a new adaptation but whatever) with Anne Hathaway as the leader of the witches

This is one of the few remakes/adaptations on the list that feels completely pointless. The 1990 film is almost perfect and I love it, even if the scene where Anjelica Huston and the rest of the witches turn into a bunch of hideous rats scarred me for life as a child.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

One More Fat Nerd posted:

OP seems to be saying Unplanned made -17M overseas, which would be great, but i dont believe is true.

Matthew McConaughey is a fisherman named Baker Dill (seriously) living on this tiny island obsessed with catching a giant tuna called "Justice". He gets approached by his ex wife Anne Hathaway who offers to pay him $10 million to kill her rich husband who is abusing her and their son. McConaughey hems and haws about killing the dude or not. Then all of a sudden it's revealed by a fishing gear salesman that they are actually inside a video game. The real Baker Dill (who as it turns out has a much more normal name) died in Iraq and the movie takes place in a fishing video game Dill's son has modded to cope with his stepfather's abuse and he recreated his dad, mom and stepdad inside the game. The game itself tries to stop Dill from killing the virtual step dad since it's "against the rules" (nobody is supposed to die in a fishing game I guess) but he manages to do it anyway, and this in turn gives his real son the courage to stab his real step dad to death. The End.

I'm not making this up. This movie EXISTS.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 2, 2020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Sirotan posted:

This is one of the few remakes/adaptations on the list that feels completely pointless. The 1990 film is almost perfect and I love it, even if the scene where Anjelica Huston and the rest of the witches turn into a bunch of hideous rats scarred me for life as a child.

There is no way they'll make it anywhere near as terrifying as the 1990 version.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Serenity was a wild ride and I laughed through the entire last third or so.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

got any sevens posted:

Replicas was goofy fun

Oh wow, I didn’t realize rapist/terrorist TJ Miller was in Underwater. How long has that been sitting on a shelf?

Casimir Radon posted:

She looks perpetually bored. Apparently they finished filming this almost 3 years ago.

Ah, there we go.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DC Murderverse posted:

don't forget that lovely movie from literally like 2 months ago where John Cena played a big manly fireman who ended up in temporary possession of some children. it's a subgenre unto itself.

HHH is: The Chaperone

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember the local video store when I was a kid had a copy of Deepstar Six and the cover terrifying me. Never saw the actual movie but from what I heard it's not as good as what scared kid me imagined it would be like.

Deepstar Six isn't the worst, but it's not bad. I'd strongly recommend the Peter Weller movie Leviathan though if you haven't seen it. Basically Alien but underwater with really good sets/strong cast/etc. Not nearly as good as Alien of course, but it's drat solid.

Lastdancer posted:

Contact is perfect it doesn't need no remake...!

They should remake Freejack instead.

I had no idea I wanted a remake of Freejack until now. Whatever would be done with such a thing, my only need would be that it sits on the shelf for about four years before coming out.

Same on a Contact remake, why? Will they get whoever the current president is to "cameo" in it again?

Alan Smithee posted:

Make Hackers 2

This reminds of the odd confusion that happened in the 90s/early 00s due to film piracy. The Hackers soundtrack was so popular that two followup albums were made over the next couple of years, called Hackers 2 and Hackers 3 respectively. Shortly after, the unrelated film Antitrust came out, and it was released in some countries with some form of the word "hacker" in it. Long story short between that and the soundtrack people thought Hackers was a series of films and would end up viewing Antitrust by mistake because people would level bootleg DVDs of Antitrust "Hackers 3" or whatever and it would be listed on those old file sharing sites as Hackers 2 or Hackers 3, which would lead to an amazing level of not what you were expecting if you wanted something like Hackers.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 2, 2020

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

Deepstar Six isn't the worst, but it's not bad. I'd strongly recommend the Peter Weller movie Leviathan though if you haven't seen it. Basically Alien but underwater with really good sets/strong cast/etc. Not nearly as good as Alien of course, but it's drat solid..
Leviathan also has a lot of The Thing in its DNA, too, and Meg Foster to boot. Really underrated movie.

e: And it's on Tubi!

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
My favorite part of Serenity is whoever made it was clearly so proud of that twist, they revealed it 3 separate times in 20 minutes and all of them were way too early in the movie.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Serenity gives me hope for the future because the one upside of China taking over the movie industry is we're going to be getting even more amazingly lovely movies like that made by Chinese investors who can just be bamboozled into supporting terrible vanity projects.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I love the joke in the thread title but I do not look forward to people thinking Contact is actually being remade all year long

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Darthemed posted:

Hogan had Santa with Muscles, Mr. Nanny, and Thunder in Paradise. Schwarzenegger had Commando (debatable qualification) and Kindergarten Cop. Did Stallone manage to dodge out on this?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ALFbrot posted:

I love the joke in the thread title but I do not look forward to people thinking Contact is actually being remade all year long

The year's only just begun, they still might decide to remake it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ALFbrot posted:

The year has only just begun

e;fb

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, I just checked Fandango to see what's playing and The Grudge remake is out already? lol, there's been like barely any marketing for that

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jena Malone, who played the young Eleanor Arroway in Contact, is now 35, which is how old Jodie Foster was when the 1997 movie came out, so they should just get her for the remake. That way they can simply reuse that beautiful into-the-mirror tracking shot.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Between the two of them, Arrival and Interstellar are kind of remakes of Contact. One does the wormhole and time dilation stuff (and McConaughey), one does the communicating with aliens and dead relative stuff.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
We need more movies where someone's dad is the alien

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looks like the New Mutants that "will" get released this year is going to be the original cut that was rumored to test well.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Jena Malone, who played the young Eleanor Arroway in Contact, is now 35, which is how old Jodie Foster was when the 1997 movie came out, so they should just get her for the remake.

Also Malone is great and it's a drat shame that her career didn't take off in a bigger way.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Chairman Capone posted:

Between the two of them, Arrival and Interstellar are kind of remakes of Contact. One does the wormhole and time dilation stuff (and McConaughey), one does the communicating with aliens and dead relative stuff.

Which was the one where Matthew McConaughey is on a water planet with a big metal box that can walk like it has legs?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Apparently, the trailer dropped for Gretel and Hansel...

https://twitter.com/GandHMovie/status/1212750395451162624?s=20

:stare:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I mentioned this in the last thread, but Gretel & Hansel is by Ozgood Perkins, son of Anthony Perkins and director of The Blackcoat’s Daughter and I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In This House. The Blackcoat’s Daughter was good, so I’m interested in Gretel & Hansel.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
As someone who loves both grimdark takes on fairytales and hollywood nepotism I am beyond hyped!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

Wait, I just checked Fandango to see what's playing and The Grudge remake is out already? lol, there's been like barely any marketing for that

It's a cheapo horror movie so pretty much any money will make a profit.

Is horror the only genre that has successfully avoided the budget bubble? Because it seems like everything else now cost $100 million.