Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I put the Sim in and it wouldn't make or take calls. No dice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FunOne posted:

Following up from last week. Just pop the drat SIM in. You won't break anything. If it works then you're good, if not, then you might still have some tricks to try to get it to work.

Is there a way to update the provisioning on my AT&T account for a new phone to enable WiFi calling et-al without visiting a store? You used to be able to submit a form online but their new MyAT&T website sucks. Online chat went through the motions then told me I was in the wrong loving department. Like I chose it!

Is this an AT&T branded phone with stock firmware? If so, it should work if it's a WiFi calling capable device (and you've activated WiFi calling on your account, I think. Dunno if you even still have to do this).

If it's not a phone that was sold by AT&T with their firmware, it probably won't work. Supposably, they will have it working for all devices, even factory unlocked, by the end of 2019.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I know from first hand experience that they'll need to manually provision out WiFi calling and that it is supported for the 3/3a and 4. I just was hoping there was a way to do this without spending 20 minutes on the phone.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Is this an AT&T branded phone? Edit - or a Pixel?

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 28, 2019

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

angryrobots posted:

Is this an AT&T branded phone? Edit - or a Pixel?

Clearly a Pixel. Online chat, now 4x tries. I've had 2x 'we have to transfer you' after I clicked 'Chat' on the loving webpage and talked with them for 15 minutes.

Latest one told me I needed a new SIM card.

Why is this so stupid?

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009

FunOne posted:

Clearly a Pixel. Online chat, now 4x tries. I've had 2x 'we have to transfer you' after I clicked 'Chat' on the loving webpage and talked with them for 15 minutes.

Why is this so stupid?

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I have a Moto X4 bought through Google Fi and switched to an AT&T prepaid plan. I used to have wi-fi calling when I had Fi, but after switching that option has disappeared. Talking to AT&T support hasn't really helped :(

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FunOne posted:

Why is this so stupid?

I was asking, because pixels are supposed to just work on AT&T WiFi calling. My wife's P3 worked immediately, though as I recall enabling it on the phone was hidden in a sub menu. It isn't an option on the pull-down toolbar like other Androids. Is it telling you that provisioning has failed?

frosteh posted:

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I have a Moto X4 bought through Google Fi and switched to an AT&T prepaid plan. I used to have wi-fi calling when I had Fi, but after switching that option has disappeared. Talking to AT&T support hasn't really helped :(

Yeah you're not going to get WiFi calling working on that. AT&T are fuckers and lock down WiFi calling to their own carrier locked phones (and Pixels, because Google insists on their own firmware on their phones). Technically they could add your IMEI to their whitelist, but anecdotally they won't.

Are you still getting software updates since switching?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Broke down and went to a store. Guy was super helpful, put in the new IMEIs on both lines, and said I'd be good to go. I was less than 3ft from the pixel 4xl display too.

Now I no longer have WiFi calling on either line and my day pass intl travel is gone too. Guess I'm going back to the loving store.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009

angryrobots posted:

Yeah you're not going to get WiFi calling working on that. AT&T are fuckers and lock down WiFi calling to their own carrier locked phones (and Pixels, because Google insists on their own firmware on their phones). Technically they could add your IMEI to their whitelist, but anecdotally they won't.

Are you still getting software updates since switching?

I kinda figured I wouldn't be getting it, but it's probably the only thing I really miss about Fi.

And yes, still getting software updates. I'm on Android 9 and the October 2019 security patch. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting Android 10 later this year and that'll be the last major software update for this phone.

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.
New wireless plans

Link

Unlimited Starter is $65 per month for a single line or as low as $35 per month per line for four lines

Unlimited Extra costs $75 per month for one line or as low as $40 per month per line for four lines, plus 15 GB of mobile hotspot data per line. Data is capped at 50GB before throttling when there’s no congestion.

Unlimited Elite costs as low as $50 per month per line for four lines ($85/month single line) and includes 30GB of mobile hotspot data per line, HD streaming and HBO. When HBO Max debuts in May 2020, subscribers will get access to the $14.99 per month streaming service at no extra charge. The data cap on this plan is 100GB before consumers are throttled.

(No more premium channel option, will existing plans still get to keep it, like if I have premium and more and picked hbo?)

There are also changes in which video services come bundled with unlimited plans. Both of AT&T's current unlimited plans come with AT&T's WatchTV service, which has 35 channels of live TV. Unlimited & More Premium also lets customers choose one of the following services: HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz, Pandora Premium, Spotify Premium, and VRV.

The new unlimited plans will not include WatchTV and will not give customers a choice of entertainment services. However, Unlimited Elite will include HBO and HBO Max when it is released in May 2020.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

If I’m on the old unlimited plus (the top end from two revisions ago maybe), there’s no reason to change is there?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Unless you want more tethering and more throttle bucket, probably not.

I also have a grandfathered unlimited line hotspot from Unlimited Plus and I doubt that will transfer.

Edit: Unless AT&T has reintroduced adding hotspot devices on a line instead of a dedicated hotspot plan

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 4, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have 4 phone lines and 2 LTE Apple Watches on an older 15GB Shared plan (includes tethering and ~*~HD 1080P VIDEO STREAMING~*~), which is ~$180 with my FAN after all bullshit taxes and fees.

We usually do between 12 and 13GB/month. Have never gone over, and always have a GB or two roll over to the next month.

I'm looking to add a 5th phone line by opening Manage Plan on their website and doing an Add Device. It shows the new iPhones with a "SAVE UP TO $1000" offer, but when I click it, I get this:

... what?

Anyway, I was interested in going to an unlimited plan since adding another phone line would probably push us toward our 15GB limit. But, it seems as if all the new unlimited plans suck rear end and will just end up costing me more. Even the Unlimited Starter is more expensive right away, and doesn't even include tethering. Granted, I only tether once a blue moon, like an iPad to my phone while I'm traveling for the holidays or whatever. I hardly ever use it otherwise, but it would be a nice to have in case I ever did need it.

I assume I'm just going to have to bite the lovely unlimited bullet and just end up paying more if my new line pushes us over 15GB since it seems like the only metered data plans anymore are 3 and 9GB. Plus, it's crap like this that gives me hesitation: "We may slow data speed when the network is busy." How often is a network considered busy? Only at concerts/sporting events? Am I going to be throttled to 2KB/s when I'm at work in the suburbs?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 20, 2019

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I have 4 phone lines and 2 LTE Apple Watches on an older 15GB Shared plan (includes tethering and ~*~HD 1080P VIDEO STREAMING~*~), which is ~$180 with my FAN after all bullshit taxes and fees.

We usually do between 12 and 13GB/month. Have never gone over, and always have a GB or two roll over to the next month.

I'm looking to add a 5th phone line by opening Manage Plan on their website and doing an Add Device. It shows the new iPhones with a "SAVE UP TO $1000" offer, but when I click it, I get this:

... what?

Anyway, I was interested in going to an unlimited plan since adding another phone line would probably push us toward our 15GB limit. But, it seems as if all the new unlimited plans suck rear end and will just end up costing me more. Even the Unlimited Starter is more expensive right away, and doesn't even include tethering. Granted, I only tether once a blue moon, like an iPad to my phone while I'm traveling for the holidays or whatever. I hardly ever use it otherwise, but it would be a nice to have in case I ever did need it.

I assume I'm just going to have to bite the lovely unlimited bullet and just end up paying more if my new line pushes us over 15GB since it seems like the only metered data plans anymore are 3 and 9GB. Plus, it's crap like this that gives me hesitation: "We may slow data speed when the network is busy." How often is a network considered busy? Only at concerts/sporting events? Am I going to be throttled to 2KB/s when I'm at work in the suburbs?

Haha a web dev let a mock up page go out into the wild. That's funny.

So basically yeah with the unlimited plans you get a high speed bucket and then everything from then on is "unlimited". Networks are busy when they're busy. It used to be that once you went over your high speed bucket (22GB) you would then be immediately slowed down to 128kbps. However, with the new way of doing things they instead only slow you down when the network is busy (deprioritization). The only way you can know when to expect your local towers to be busy is probably by testing it... not sure if there's apps or maps measuring this out there.

Also is it a Mobile Share Value Plan? I heard that a bunch of people had data limits increased on their account along with a forced monthly bill increase:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/6/20952512/att-price-hike-cellular-mobile-share-value-plan

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 21, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So yeah, they bumped my 15GB up to 30, and added to my monthly bill 6-12 months ago. I was pretty annoyed, and it took 90 mins on the phone for them to give me back my cheaper 15 plan. Turns out, now that I’m looking to add a line, I could have used that 30, as we’re consistently 12-13/month. Oh well.

What I found out this week is my FAN (and I assume others) gives 26% off service, but only applies to the old Mobile Share plans that you can’t get anymore unless it’s 3 or 9GB. None of the unlimited plans honor my discount, which is ridiculous. I now effectively only get 40% off qualified overpriced accessories.

So I think I’m pretty much forced to eat it and jump on their Unlimited Starter when I add my 5th line. Which means I also give up tethering, and I don’t want to spend an extra $10/line or whatever to get it back. It’s not worth $50/month to me.

My only concern besides tethering, is that it says they can slow my poo poo down whenever it’s busy. When I did an online chat with them, the guy basically said “that’s not the correct wording. Whenever a line goes over 22GB AND it’s busy, we slow that line down only.” Seeing as none of us come close to touching that, we should be ok unless he was just trying to make a sale. I can’t really find the 22 figure anywhere in the Unlimited Starter fine print.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

22/GB per line before possible slow down was definitely the old unlimited plan.... Like you said, I don't see that anywhere on the new one.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So yeah, they bumped my 15GB up to 30, and added to my monthly bill 6-12 months ago. I was pretty annoyed, and it took 90 mins on the phone for them to give me back my cheaper 15 plan. Turns out, now that I’m looking to add a line, I could have used that 30, as we’re consistently 12-13/month. Oh well.

What I found out this week is my FAN (and I assume others) gives 26% off service, but only applies to the old Mobile Share plans that you can’t get anymore unless it’s 3 or 9GB. None of the unlimited plans honor my discount, which is ridiculous. I now effectively only get 40% off qualified overpriced accessories.

So I think I’m pretty much forced to eat it and jump on their Unlimited Starter when I add my 5th line. Which means I also give up tethering, and I don’t want to spend an extra $10/line or whatever to get it back. It’s not worth $50/month to me.

My only concern besides tethering, is that it says they can slow my poo poo down whenever it’s busy. When I did an online chat with them, the guy basically said “that’s not the correct wording. Whenever a line goes over 22GB AND it’s busy, we slow that line down only.” Seeing as none of us come close to touching that, we should be ok unless he was just trying to make a sale. I can’t really find the 22 figure anywhere in the Unlimited Starter fine print.

I don’t know ATT plans that well anymore, but I’m pretty sure their base plan still throttles on a contested tower at all times, you need to pay the $10 more for the 22GB and hotspot.

Would they let you have just one line with the $10 more, or is it all have to be on the same plan?

Flesh
Dec 30, 2004

In The Flesh, Again

Found this on reddit but it seems to be a correct outline of the current plans being offered.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Whoa, that's super helpful. Thanks!
Looks like I'm stuck with getting the Extra since I don't want my poo poo throttled randomly. Bummer.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FREE HBO

lol

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
Man, I was on the 3gb + 3gb mobile share and was automatically changed to 9gb without notice (noticed due to bill changes). I am likely going back to the 3gb plan, but the fact that I can’t stream video in HD seems like a hell of a thing for my service provider to decide. It’ll save me money but I don’t like that choice being taken from me. Oh well.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If you use a VPN, I wouldn’t think ATT can figure out what data is video and what isn’t. But who knows. I’m guessing it’s just obvious stuff like Netflix and YouTube.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh neat, ATT has a free iPhone XR with new line activation. Exactly what I’m looking for.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I'm looking to port my number from Sprint to AT&T. My employer offers 25% off service with AT&T. But I'm not very clear on how this works. I use the referral link from my employer, and it shows at the top of every page in the checkout process. But when I get to the end where it is reviewing my plan and whatnot, it still shows at the top of the page but doesn't actually show any discount applied to the service plan in the bill summary. I feel like I will get hosed over and not get the discount even though it shows at the top. How do I confirm this before activating the account? I only intend to switch because the discount makes the plan about the same price as my current Sprint plan, but obviously AT&T's network is way better. I don't want to spend $95 a month for a single line.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What plan? My FAN doesn’t cover any unlimited plans, only the Mobile Share plan, which super sucks rear end.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Yeah nevermind, it doesn't cover any voice plans, data only so gently caress that lmao

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why did I get an email from AT&T telling me they are giving me "bonus data" for an extra $5 per month.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You’re not happy with ATT gifting you extra data out of the goodness of their hearts????

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

Why did I get an email from AT&T telling me they are giving me "bonus data" for an extra $5 per month.

How else can they raise their quarterly profits ?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Hed posted:

BeAuMaN posted:

Also is it a Mobile Share Value Plan? I heard that a bunch of people had data limits increased on their account along with a forced monthly bill increase:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/6/20952512/att-price-hike-cellular-mobile-share-value-plan

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was able to get them to revert it. Very dumb. Thanks guys.

luv 2 call in 2 get my stealth plan changes changed back

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!
My SIM card is a couple years old. Will I have to get a new one for 5G?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

MrNonacho posted:

My SIM card is a couple years old. Will I have to get a new one for 5G?

I always recommend getting a new SIM card whenever you change phones. There is occasionally new firmware, and some features don't work on old SIMs. When the LTE switch happened, lots of people needed to get a new SIM to enable LTE. I assume the same thing with happen with 5g?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Beefstorm posted:

I always recommend getting a new SIM card whenever you change phones. There is occasionally new firmware, and some features don't work on old SIMs. When the LTE switch happened, lots of people needed to get a new SIM to enable LTE. I assume the same thing with happen with 5g?

Hopefully we can be all e-sim with 5g.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FWIW, when I went to ubreakifix a couple months ago because my S10e refused to update and they manually updated for me - when the phone rebooted it displayed the 5Ge symbol.

I know the ATT 5Ge isn't real 5G but interesting that the provisioning for it was apparently in the phone's firmware update and not the SIM.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

angryrobots posted:

FWIW, when I went to ubreakifix a couple months ago because my S10e refused to update and they manually updated for me - when the phone rebooted it displayed the 5Ge symbol.

I know the ATT 5Ge isn't real 5G but interesting that the provisioning for it was apparently in the phone's firmware update and not the SIM.

It was literally just a logo change in the device software. There was no actual change to the network.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

It doesn't display on all towers, but where it does display, I find that speed is consistent and doesn't vary like non-advanced LTE.

So I guess you're saying that my phone was already using advanced LTE on those towers, and the update changed the graphic to show that?

Edit - I'm seeing published tests that put ATT's average advanced LTE speeds at 28 Mbps with max being about 40.... But I'm seeing 50Mbps and max of 108 down/12 up which I thought was pretty good. I'll take the network improvements even if it's fake 5G.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 3, 2020

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

angryrobots posted:

It doesn't display on all towers, but where it does display, I find that speed is consistent and doesn't vary like non-advanced LTE.

So I guess you're saying that my phone was already using advanced LTE on those towers, and the update changed the graphic to show that?

Edit - I'm seeing published tests that put ATT's average advanced LTE speeds at 28 Mbps with max being about 40.... But I'm seeing 50Mbps and max of 108 down/12 up which I thought was pretty good. I'll take the network improvements even if it's fake 5G.

Check this out...
https://www.macrumors.com/guide/5ge/

Looks like you might be right, that it's for advanced LTE. But I feel like I remember reading somewhere that it was for all of their LTE.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I don't blame them for wanting to advertise their new upgrades (and in my personal experience they are legitimate improvements).

But to everyone's point the name is dumb.

https://twitter.com/TMobile/status/1082379986051358720

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If my ex is getting off my plan and wanted to stick with ATT, could she get the account setup without a credit check?