Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yeah, he rules.
:wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

madeintaipei posted:

There are a few articles about R. Patrick training for the role. It seems he wanted to act very calm, collected, and machine-like from early on. They were able to give him supplementary training towards that goal. Keeping your eyes open through the shot is a fundamental part of proper marksmanship so that's what he was taught, proper marksmanship.

I like stories like that. The actors and actresses in All Creatures Great and Small went out to help a country veterinarian I think every week is another favorite. If you're supposed to be acting out a role, why half-rear end it? Get out there and learn!

hell yeah. I wasn't arguing. Robert Patrick did a phenomenal job.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

madeintaipei posted:

There are a few articles about R. Patrick training for the role. It seems he wanted to act very calm, collected, and machine-like from early on. They were able to give him supplementary training towards that goal. Keeping your eyes open through the shot is a fundamental part of proper marksmanship so that's what he was taught, proper marksmanship.

I like stories like that. The actors and actresses in All Creatures Great and Small went out to help a country veterinarian I think every week is another favorite. If you're supposed to be acting out a role, why half-rear end it? Get out there and learn!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDzJs126JrM

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

That was great, thank you.

I really like how he described him playing the T-1000. He wanted to look human, but something being... "off." Something slightly wrong with him. That's a great description.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I really like how he described him playing the T-1000. He wanted to look human, but something being... "off." Something slightly wrong with him. That's a great description.

I think Lance Henriksen used a similar description for how he approached playing Bishop.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

T2 was Robert Patrick's break-out role, he was luckily enough to be selected for audition and nailed it with his unique take on the terminator.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

etalian posted:

T2 was Robert Patrick's break-out role, he was luckily enough to be selected for audition and nailed it with his unique take on the terminator.

it really made a difference. Got forgotten just like everyone else in a CC role

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The players in my TTRPG scenario are gonna be freelance haulers, so I gave them something to haul poo poo in:

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Blessings of St. Ripley upon you all as we enter the new year!

(and here's a little something for you m*me loving fucks)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

They didn’t use Jones, what the gently caress?

Edit— and if they’re going to use the chestburster, they might as well have used an actual screenshot from after it pops out of Kane.

4/10 good idea, sloppy execution :colbert:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

The players in my TTRPG scenario are gonna be freelance haulers, so I gave them something to haul poo poo in:

only 1 toilet? these ttrpg players arent being honest with themselves

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

There's two toilets and a shower.

I also like that with this layout that the captain and first officer get comparatively spacious almost 10 square meter quarters to themselves, and the other four are double bunked in two 3.75 meter quarters.

Built in crew resentment.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

Built in crew resentment.
make 1 toilet indefinitely out of order

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

This is awesome.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

gary oldmans diary posted:

make 1 toilet indefinitely out of order

Or in the case of the Nostromo, one shuttle. :v:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm the corpse in the ceiling of the pantry, that drips blood through a vent on the guy who goes in there to get something to snack on

e. why am I there? I am carrying no identification, and the crew is entirely accounted for :ohdear:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The Zombie Guy posted:

(and here's a little something for you m*me loving fucks)

Oh poo poo, I can't believe it took this long, but it is perfect

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

roarpower posted:

it really made a difference. Got forgotten just like everyone else in a CC role

Robert Patrick also created his own unique take on the terminator instead of trying to copy Arnold's version.

Also makes sense from a story point of view since the T1000 was designed to be a more advanced infiltrator unit and blend in better than the older model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgibX4BCYBw

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Is there a canonical/semi-canonical source for how much a synthetic costs in the Aliens universe?

One of my players wants to play one, and I'm fine with that. But they are a rough and tumble just-barely-keeping-her-fueled freighter crew and I remember reading that a synthetic like Bishop is prohibitively expensive, so I'd want to help her come up with a background that makes sense (right now thinking she was "salvage," as well as play up all the things that would come up with grubby truckers with minimal security having what some scoundrels would consider a king's ransom in easily stolen and re purposed hardware, that kind o thing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

etalian posted:

Robert Patrick also created his own unique take on the terminator instead of trying to copy Arnold's version.

Also makes sense from a story point of view since the T1000 was designed to be a more advanced infiltrator unit and blend in better than the older model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgibX4BCYBw

Ive said this in the Cinema Terminator thread, all Terminators after Patrick just copy him.
Stern looks, walking slowly to them, etc.

To make Terminator scary again, make the Terminator use pysche out tactics. Crying children sounds to lure people, tries to frame others as being terminators by dripping a bit onto them and looking like skin was blown away showing the metal skeleton beneath, tears off legs of people and uses that on him/her self to make it look they are human ("look hes bleeding so he cant be one of them"), taunting targets in order to unnerve them during combat, etc.

Make the Terminator more TheThing, and holy poo poo you have a great film.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Ive said this in the Cinema Terminator thread, all Terminators after Patrick just copy him.
Stern looks, walking slowly to them, etc.

To make Terminator scary again, make the Terminator use pysche out tactics. Crying children sounds to lure people, tries to frame others as being terminators by dripping a bit onto them and looking like skin was blown away showing the metal skeleton beneath, tears off legs of people and uses that on him/her self to make it look they are human ("look hes bleeding so he cant be one of them"), taunting targets in order to unnerve them during combat, etc.

Make the Terminator more TheThing, and holy poo poo you have a great film.

Does Screamers belong in this thread? Because Screamers has something similar to what you're describing going on.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

Is there a canonical/semi-canonical source for how much a synthetic costs in the Aliens universe?

One of my players wants to play one, and I'm fine with that. But they are a rough and tumble just-barely-keeping-her-fueled freighter crew and I remember reading that a synthetic like Bishop is prohibitively expensive, so I'd want to help her come up with a background that makes sense (right now thinking she was "salvage," as well as play up all the things that would come up with grubby truckers with minimal security having what some scoundrels would consider a king's ransom in easily stolen and re purposed hardware, that kind o thing.

No idea about actual figures, but in Labyrinth a freelance three-person family (and their two hired hands) on a small transport ship had their own botany/pleasure synth (Judy? Judith?). I've also heard mention of mass-produced strictly military models and basic laborers like the Working Joes, so there are definitely different manufacturers and models. I imagine a science officer on a corporate mining vessel or secret military mission would be far more costly and specialized than a manual laborer or 'companion', but that's like... Ferrari-level poo poo. Maybe your synth could just be a well-loved but high-mileage 2003 Civic with some tuning and one of those noisy fartcan exhausts.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

madeintaipei posted:

Does Screamers belong in this thread? Because Screamers has something similar to what you're describing going on.

Screamers is excellent and very prescient in the age of drone warfare.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Maybe the synth PC could be an older refurb?
Police will sell off their old beat-up cars at auction when they get a new fleet, right? So maybe your PC synth was a top model ten years ago, and when the owners upgraded, they just memory wiped the old model and sold it off.

Or maybe the synth was being transported as cargo on a ship that got in to trouble, and was kept as salvage?

In order to offset the advantages that being a synth would bring (speed, durability, accuracy), you could balance it out by giving the player a random chance of having a slight malfunction. I'm picturing something like Pops in Terminator Genisys, where Arnie sometimes had his hands lock out or not respond properly. A older, refurbished synth would be bound to have a few glitches, right?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Thought about Aliens just now.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Maybe the synth is just a torso that got ripped in half at some point

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sjs00 posted:

Maybe the synth is just a torso that got ripped in half at some point

Top half is a relatively new synthetic, legs are from some beat-up Bishop on the scrap pile. The sentient equivalent of a car that's been in a wreck and now the driver's side doors are two different colors, neither of which match the body

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Biplane posted:

What did you think?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Owlbear Camus posted:

Make them a Working Joe from Seegson

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Biplane posted:

:hmmyes:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Biplane posted:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

What did you think?

It's good.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Always thinking about Aliens

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

https://www.boredpanda.com/gingerbread-alien-xenomorph-caroline-eriksson/

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Poor ol Biplane, thought of Aliens and posted

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Thinking about hypersleep and how you can do all kinds of mean stuff to TTRPG characters. Wake up decades later. Wake up captured. Wake up with an embryo in your guts. Wake up on fire.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Thinking about hypersleep and how you can do all kinds of mean stuff to TTRPG characters. Wake up decades later. Wake up captured. Wake up with an embryo in your guts. Wake up on fire.

Don't forget "wake up drowned". :(

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Most people realize Aliens is a killer title, but I still don't think it gets nearly as much credit as it deserves. Just... Aliens. That is simply a masterstroke of brilliant elegance right there. And it's just so freakin' evocative, too. No one has to ask "so what's the deal with this Alien sequel, what's it about" because you hear the title and you know exactly what the concept is and your mind immediately starts forming images trying to fathom just how much higher the stakes have suddenly been raised. And it's all accomplished without numerals, no subtitles, not even any extra words, just add one single little letter at the end.

Like the academy should've invented a special Oscar that year for "Achievement in Film Title Creation" because lord knows Aliens deserves it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Wake up and fight alongside your fellow marines and through a Futurama style bit of pratfall swap out another dude in your pod so Ripley mourns some rando.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Most people realize Aliens is a killer title, but I still don't think it gets nearly as much credit as it deserves. Just... Aliens. That is simply a masterstroke of brilliant elegance right there. And it's just so freakin' evocative, too. No one has to ask "so what's the deal with this Alien sequel, what's it about" because you hear the title and you know exactly what the concept is and your mind immediately starts forming images trying to fathom just how much higher the stakes have suddenly been raised. And it's all accomplished without numerals, no subtitles, not even any extra words, just add one single little letter at the end.

Like the academy should've invented a special Oscar that year for "Achievement in Film Title Creation" because lord knows Aliens deserves it.

Cameron was young. He had just directed Terminator. Cameron had called a meeting to discuss his "next project." Everyone knew Cameron had written a treatment for Alien 2 that nobody would touch because Alien was not a massive financial success. Alien 2 was not on the table. We expected a professional pitch from Cameron, an outline and a treatment of what he had in mind with a cursory budget; perhaps a couple assistants to run a slide show. Instead Cameron walked in the room without so much as a piece of paper. He went to the chalk board in the room and simply wrote the word ALIEN. Then he added an 'S' to make ALIENS. Dramatically, he drew two vertical lines through the 'S', ALIEN$. He turned around and grinned. We green-lit the project that day for $18 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Terminator$