Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which happens first?
This poll is closed.
Luffy becomes the Pirate King 9 8.26%
Asta becomes the Wizard King 5 4.59%
Deku becomes the Symbol Of Peace 10 9.17%
Shippuden stops airing 8 7.34%
We all die 77 70.64%
Total: 109 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
(There's now officially both an Animation for Adults thread and an Adult Swim Megathread in TVIV since a lot of people wanted to discuss Adult Swim stuff without drowning in anime chat. If you wanna talk about other Adult Swim shows here, then that's still perfectly cool)

Spoiler policy for ADTRW regulars: please don't post spoilers for shows just in case we have people going in blind watching them. Well, unless you want to spoil one of the never-ending shonen shows like Naruto, 'cause no one gives a poo poo.

Toonami was America's premiere action block from '97 until '08. They showed a whole bunch of anime (and stuff like Batman: TAS but most people just remember the anime) and are most notable for basically bringing Dragon Ball Z to the US (for better or for worse). Adult Swim brought it back as their April Fool's Day prank in 2012 and people lost their poo poo nostalgia trippin' so now its back for good.

Currently airing:

12:00 - My Hero Academia

In a world where superpowers are the norm, all the kids want to train and be the next big superhero (a viable career option in this world), none more so than protagonist Izuku Midoriya. The catch though, is that Izuku has no power (called a quirk in this world because reasons), making him a freak outcast with little chance. Until one day he meets the most powerful and popular hero in the world (and his own personal idol) All Might and things suddenly change...

This series (or rather, this season of this series) is very recent, we're only a few episodes behind Japan! Wow!

12:30 - Paranoia Agent

One night in Tokyo, character creator Tsukiko Sagi is attacked by a boy with a golden bat wearing golden roller blades. As attacks by the boy (dubbed "Lil' Slugger" (or "Shonen Bat" in Japan) become more frequent, can the detectives assigned to the case stop him? Can he even be stopped?

This is the brainchild of Satoshi Kon, who is the director of Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, and Paprika. It's real loving good. It aired on Adult Swim back in '05 but if you missed it back then or didn't give it a shot, you really should now.

Preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPfw8G4Z7Hs

1:00 - Mob Psycho 100
Move, move, just like Mob!

8th grader Shigeo "Mob" Kageyama is one of, if not the most powerful psychics in the world... and he doesn't really seem to care all that much. But he does work part time for another psychic and who is way more powerful and definitely not a con artist, Reigen Arataka, exorcising ghosts and spirits for dirt cheap. The only catch is that the normally emotionally reserved Mob does have a breaking point, and well... you'll see.

This is another rerun (dammit, COVID) but much like Paranoia Agent above, this is very good and if you missed it for whatever reason before, you should definitely watch it now.

1:30 - Black Clover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFmxsgXqAQg

Main character Naruto Asta is a poor orphan born into a world full of magic, he's poo poo on by everyone in his village, and one day he swears he's gonna be King of the PiratesHokagethe Wizard-King of the land and earn everyone's respect! Unfortunately he's bad at ninjutsu doesn't have a quirk one of the only people in the land who possesses zero magical ability, in a world where magic is everything (take a shot when you hear this phrase and die in a half-hour)! And his best friend and broody loner Sasuke Yuno seems to be the best at everything, even possessing a special bloodline ability Devil Fruit power Stand 4-clover grimoire that proves he's the super-best at magic. But one day he gets super-mad and summons his super-cool and super-edgy demon chakra 5-star grimoire to prove he's gonna be the greatest magical knight and eventually become Wizard-King and marry Sakura some nun, his love interest who does not love him! But wait, what about the many numerous female characters who love him but he's totally oblivious? UGGGHHHH.

This show is incredibly sub-par and you should feel bad for Adult Swim for buying it. I mean it was supposed to be some hot new poo poo, broadcast rights probably cost them a pretty penny. Then everyone hated it. Oh well.

2:00 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind

The plot of Jojo's is way too long and convoluted to boil down into one paragraph but suffice it to say it involves following a family on bizarre adventures throughout the generations, and a new chapter starts down the line with a new protagonist that is somehow related to the prior one. Here's this one: Jotaro Kujo (from part 3) has sent Koichi (from Part 4) to Italy to investigate young improbably buff 15 year old Giorno Giovanna... Get it? Gio Gio? Like Jo Jo? Ah whatever. Giorno's is actually the son of former villain Dio Brando (and thus technically the son of Jonathan Joestar (from part 1) since Dio hitched a ride Jonathan's body since the 1800s) and Jotaro's just making sure that evil isn't genetic. Giorno has long idolized the gangsters of Italy and has made a good living pickpocketing and committing small crimes, but now he plans to change the entire gang structure of Italy from the inside out. Anyway, everybody has magic ghost things called Stands that give them all sorts of batshit powers so get ready to have fun.

(Though Giorno's power is like, really dumb, so much so that a lot of the fans dislike it, and Jojo fans will put up with a lot of real bullshit, so that'll be interesting)

Full preview here

2:30 - Naruto Shippuden
why are we still here? just to suffer?

Naruto is a ninja kid from the Hidden Leaf Village who wants to be the very best, like no one ever was. Anyway, gently caress this show. The fact that it's not the last show on this block is a slap in the face to every other show after it, and I don't even necessarily like some of those shows. Anyway it will never end and someday after the nukes drop and you breathe your last, your mutant children might get to see the end of a filler arc.

So what can we expect this year?

Update: Due to COVID, you may not expect poo poo due to dubbing companies being closed and/or way behind schedule. Toonami execs have said there will be "new" shows, likely reruns of old shows (I'd expect the return of Cowboy Bebop sooner or later), but until life is back to normal, neither will this cartoon anime block. However, assuming life gets back to normal....

Toonami really doesn't like to announce too much ahead of time. What they do do however, is basically never leave a show unfinished, so if there's a show that's aired here, and there's a new season in Japan, you can bet your bottom dollar that it will air here eventually. So while they may not air here this year, shows that'll definitely air here eventually include but are not limited to
  • Sword Art Online: Alicization - Its final season is supposed to start in Japan soon in July, and due to COVID the dub will probably take even longer than the 4-month turnaround time last season's sub-to-dub was made. It'll be back in either winter or 2021.
  • Attack On Titan - New season starts soon, dub will surely follow.
  • Mob Psycho 100 - 2nd season is already out in full so this one's just a matter of time.
  • Food Wars - there's a whole mess of Food Wars. Apparently they changed production companies after season 2 so a new deal has to be negotiated, so season 3 coming... eventually.
  • The Promised Neverland - Season 2 in October
  • Dr. Stone - Season 2 has been announced (with no confirmed start date) in Japan
  • Fire Force - Ditto.
  • everything else - MHA will definitely have another season sooner or later, Boruto might come back at some point, who knows?

Oh, but one thing for sure is coming this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDEQyK5ZH-E

Uzumaki, by horror master Junji Ito! While no set date has been announced (my money's on somewhere around Halloween), it will be definitely be this year. And it will air here ~before Japan!~

ALSO

Every Saturday night while the more boring shonen shows are on TV, Waffleman (or others) are building you a better cartoon(/sentai/tokusatsu/whatever) show. They call it Goonami. They just post on Fri/Sat night when they're gonna stream poo poo on Synchtube and you can watch.

MEANWHILE EVERY OTHER DAY OF THE WEEK...

Adult Swim is a block on Cartoon Network that's been running strong now since 2001. It's their late-night offering for grown-ups such as ourselves. This high class stuff includes a show where a guy hosts a parody talk show and pukes on himself and a bunch of Family Guy reruns. Like I mentioned up top, there is a TVIV catch-all thread for non-kid animation if you want to talk about it there, and there's probably TVIV threads for a bunch of their other live-action stuff, though I'm not gonna check each and every show. If you want to talk about it here though, that's okay.

What's on right now?

All the Fox reruns, as usual. Well, not all. Adult Swim lost or gave up the licenses to the Cleveland Show (oh noooo :geno:) and King of the Hill (oh no, for real!) to Comedy Central, but hey, Bob's Burgers is on now, and that's good.

Okay, yeah, but what else?

Ummm... okay, Adult Swim has eschewed any semblance of scheduling like any other TV network and also any semblance of actually canceling TV shows (like, look at the list of shows they've aired on Wikipedia and there's a ton that haven't aired in years that aren't officially canceled). What I'm saying is that if you've seen a show on Adult Swim ever, there's a nonzero chance that it could come up with a new season at any given point in time.

So yeah, I'm not gonna bother copy-pasting the descriptions of all ~20 of their listed "current" shows off Wikipedia. Still, feel free to talk about them here.

Okay, that's all out of the way, enjoy 2020! Only 2 more years until SAO is real!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
You know, it's pretty funny that Food Wars was published in Shonen Jump, a magazine for kids and teens in Japan, but is just straight up rated TV-MA over here in the states.

Also happy new year everyone!

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Hoping we get Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 sooner rather than later.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Naruto: I don't stay up late enough to watch this poo poo anymore. I think we're in the most boring part of the Fourth Great Ninja War? Like, last I checked months ago, we haven't even started the Tobi/Madara poo poo in earnest yet. Normally, I'd tell you to just watch...

Boruto: ...which, sadly, has its dub on hiatus for some reason. If it ever comes back, we'll get to watch the movie adaptation which is Quite Good. Anyway, on my watchlist for later this year is...

Attack on Titan: The Last Season! Wait, where are you going, I can explain really! Yes, it's been pretty boring so far, but the manga is wrapping up and I can tell you this last season is when things will finally get totally loving nuts as the Wall people and the rest of the world are finally forced to deal with each other and the Titan Problem once and for all and I swear it'll make all the boring poo poo before this worth it because it's gonna cause the fandom to meltdown no matter how it ends now.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thread title should’ve been Ghost Mom :colbert:

Although it probably should’ve been the last thread’s title when it happened. It’s not exactly topical anymore.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
More Reigen!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Attack on Titan: The Last Season! Wait, where are you going, I can explain really! Yes, it's been pretty boring so far, but the manga is wrapping up and I can tell you this last season is when things will finally get totally loving nuts as the Wall people and the rest of the world are finally forced to deal with each other and the Titan Problem once and for all and I swear it'll make all the boring poo poo before this worth it because it's gonna cause the fandom to meltdown no matter how it ends now.

ngl I hope AoT ends with Marleyan genocide and Gabi dies a very slow, unspeakably painful and horrific death for what she done did I don’t care if she got brainwashed into it and “redeems” herself THERE CAN BE NO FORGIVENESS

those of you that don’t read the comic or the AoT thread and don’t know what I’m talking about in that spoiler... you will find out soon

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I take a look at the AoT thread every few weeks and go "yep that's sounds loving dumb" so I can't wait to see it animated.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

My room:
https://cytu.be/r/Dirtnami2
We are currently watching G Gundam.

Wafflemans room:
https://cytu.be/r/goonami
They just finished up The Hero Yoshihiko and The Devil King's Castle, and still showing Space Patrol Luluco.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Also don't forget on most Wednesdays at Midnight is Truthpoint

I wish I had a write up, but I suck at those :smith:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Speaking of Truthpoint, there's an adult swim megathread that might be a better place to talk about that: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896485

Its appeal is pretty niche, being a product of the Weird Twitter subculture. dril, the Biggest Poster and the guy you see ranting over those anime screencaps, hosts a webshow that takes the piss out of fringe conspiracy shows like Alex Jones, along with his sassy cohost Derek. Most of the episodes ostensibly have some topic of the day involved, but they inevitably devolve into petty, stupid arguments and you're liable to see at least one terrible thing you can't scrub out of your memory no matter how hard you try during Bullet Points. It's not a bad way to kill an hour.

Supersonic Shine fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 2, 2020

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'd love to see Mob season two on toonami.

It's possibly the best adaptation of an original work ever made, and I'm not saying that lightly or ironically. I'm not even a huge fan of the original comic and I think the anime is that good.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
The only thing you need to know about Promised Neverland is that you should listen to all the people telling you to watch it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ground floor of new thread for a new decade. Heres to another 10 years of anime. Shippuden still won't be done by 2030 will it...

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 2, 2020

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
First page and ground floor of another year of anime.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Is Toonami just going to be already existing properties for the foreseeable future? Not that such is a bad thing, I just wish I could see stuff that I didn't even know about (though half the time it's something like Dimension W or Blue Exorcist that feels half-finished). Though I feel like all the major shows are on Toonami at this point.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Probably Magic posted:

Is Toonami just going to be already existing properties for the foreseeable future? Not that such is a bad thing, I just wish I could see stuff that I didn't even know about (though half the time it's something like Dimension W or Blue Exorcist that feels half-finished). Though I feel like all the major shows are on Toonami at this point.

Blue Exorcist is really weird because they decided to switch to an anime-original plot and ending halfway through, at a point that ultimately ended up being really early in the manga's story. Then 6 years later a second season got greenlit and they just continued from the manga plot, completely ignoring the anime-original episodes ever happened.

Now that it's been 6 years since Toonami aired season 1, I wonder if they'll ever pick up season 2.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
aw gently caress, your avatar is really good

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Happy 2020 to DC Douglas only

I doubt we're gonna get anything as good as his Kira for a long-rear end time

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

The Shame Boy posted:

Ground floor of new thread for a new decade. Heres to another 10 years of anime. Shippuden still won't be done by 2030 will it...

Looks like it's my cue to do the number crunching.

I decided to change things up this year by not including any marathons or possible special circumstances in my calculations after how sporadic they were last year. That being said, here are the predicted dates for the soonest these shows will finish airing their runs on Toonami and potential new shows might slot in.

One-Punch Man: January 11
Fire Force: February 1
Dr. Stone: February 22
Promised Neverland reruns: March 21
Food Wars: April 18 (October 3 if they continue on to the 3rd season)
Demon Slayer: April 25
My Hero Academia: May 9
Jojo - Golden Wind: August 1
Attack on Titan reruns: December 26
*heavy sigh* Black Clover: January 2021 (in theory)
Naruto Shippuden: 2024

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 2, 2020

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Mraagvpeine posted:

I decided to change things up this year by not including any marathons or possible special circumstances in my calculations after how sporadic they were last year. That being said, here are the predicted dates for the soonest these shows will finish airing their runs on Toonami and potential new shows might slot in.

Naruto Shippuden: 2024

Jesus.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

How does Naruto have so many episodes?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

PADDING

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I have seen probably 400 episodes of One Piece, skipping filler and such. That is just over half of the 700 total episode run of Naruto.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Even after the manga was finished, they spent nearly a year on filler episodes trying to drag out ending the anime.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
At work today, I say a kid who was about 11 or 12 walking around in an akatsuki robe and Naruto headband.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

You don't just let cash cows end, much to the fans' frustrations.

To another year of poo poo talking shows we like

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I miss Bleach

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I unironically want a final season of the Bleach anime where Kubo has complete creative control and can drag it out as long as he wants and end it however he wants

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

However long Kubo wants might not actually be that long lmao

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also that already happened, it's called the manga. It was "ending" for like 5 years.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

God is dead and Naruto filler killed him.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Waffleman_ posted:

Also that already happened, it's called the manga. It was "ending" for like 5 years.

Not really. Kubo got forced to end the manga long before he actually wanted to, so he had to rush the ending a lot, particularly toward the last few chapters when the powers-that-be decided to abruptly end the manga. As a result the manga ended in an anticlimactic wet fart.

I want to see the ending Kubo wanted. I want to see an anime ending that wraps things up better than the manga.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

I want to see an anime ending that wraps things up better than the manga.

Diamond is Unbreakable?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kubo seems pretty done with Bleach and with Jump outside of the spinoff oneshot he did about a year ago.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Oh hey Kubo did the designs for the New Sakura Wars game

Dexo fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 3, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

Not really. Kubo got forced to end the manga long before he actually wanted to, so he had to rush the ending a lot, particularly toward the last few chapters when the powers-that-be decided to abruptly end the manga. As a result the manga ended in an anticlimactic wet fart.

I want to see the ending Kubo wanted. I want to see an anime ending that wraps things up better than the manga.

#ReleaseTheKuboCut

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Mraagvpeine posted:

*heavy sigh* Black Clover: January 2021 (in theory)
When I go to the dentist later this month, and they ask me why my molars are just ground-down stumps, I'm going to make them look at this post. And they'll just sort of know and understand, without actually knowing. They'll just see "Black Clover" and have a moment of clarity.

And then I'll tell them to send the bill to you, for having caused this problem by posting that, and they'll agree.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its not like the final story arc of the Bleach manga was any good before the sudden end. The whole thing was just another rehash of the same poo poo where Ichigo and friends meet some new jerks who have their own organization and ranks and they're all so much more powerful than everybody else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I. M. Gei posted:

I would've been just as loving terrible because Bleach was bad.