Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

JJ Abrams just watched a lot of fan service anime and thought the censor light bars were cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Doronin posted:

After re-reading the alleged leak on Reddit, there is nothing about any of those omissions that would have made the plot much better. I mean, it's mostly the same movie, just a lot more of it. Oh, and they didn't let Finn and Poe be gay, and Rose had some recess in between her homework assignment.

And assuming 100% of it is true, would any of that added anything to the movie? Not really. Some of the stuff that would have explained some things within the plot (Leia saving Ben, Finn just saying what he needed to tell Rey) that would have been nice, but wouldn't have really fixed the much bigger problems with the pacing or the endless hunt of mcguffins.

I preordered the novelization today because I *hope* it makes some of the movie make sense.

The additional scenes might help the pacing and the extended cut itself, if released, might be better edited than the one we currently have, but no, they would not change the plot or characterization substantively.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but it immediately strikes me as Dungeons & Dragons poo poo that should never even have been let into the EU, like Grey Jedi.

Don't you fuckin attack my friend Jolee Bindo

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but it immediately strikes me as Dungeons & Dragons poo poo that should never even have been let into the EU, like Grey Jedi.

I meant how a Jedi can/should do their best to be moral ('act like a Jedi') without their magic, however temporarily they might be having that problem.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'm really curious how Chewie's death fakeout was originally supposed to go, because that 15 second scene dropped in immediately after is too strange to have been the original plan.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Don't you fuckin attack my friend Jolee Bindo

He did it all for the Wookiees!

General Dog posted:

I'm really curious how Chewie's death fakeout was originally supposed to go, because that 15 second scene dropped in immediately after is too strange to have been the original plan.

I don't understand how Rey, Finn, Poe or Threepio all somehow missed a second identical transport taking off 30 feet from them at or around the same time as the lightning one. Especially Rey, who felt Chewie's presence later when she was on the ground and he was in orbit.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

just everything about the way the movie organizes and deals with time is insane, not just the cutting but also the way scenes are played. i've never seen anything like it, so i guess that's something

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Keep diggin' that hole.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

When I watched it the second time there is some plausibility when it comes to Rey and Finn- you do see two transports when Chewie boards, and then Finn is on the other side of the big rock thing when he hollers to Rey and points to the transport taking off. It means that Finn missed the first transport taking off when he was running down from the ship and around the rock, which seems weird but not impossible. Still colossally cheap in any event.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Oh no! gently caress!

I’m inside the theatre! lmao

Is this your first movie of 2020?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Pretty soon they are going to reveal that Palpy is actually Vitiate from SWTOR and there has just always been one immortal super evil Sith Emperor for all time. :suicide:

Also you can argue Grey Jedi have been a thing since the OT since Luke does a poo poo job of acting like any of the other Jedi shown, he wears black, he can be aggressive, he's in touch with his feelings and cares about his friends... Also he directly disobeys his Jedi masters twice and both times he's right!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Doronin posted:

After re-reading the alleged leak on Reddit, there is nothing about any of those omissions that would have made the plot much better. I mean, it's mostly the same movie, just a lot more of it. Oh, and they didn't let Finn and Poe be gay, and Rose had some recess in between her homework assignment.

And assuming 100% of it is true, would any of that added anything to the movie? Not really. Some of the stuff that would have explained some things within the plot (Leia saving Ben, Finn just saying what he needed to tell Rey) that would have been nice, but wouldn't have really fixed the much bigger problems with the pacing or the endless hunt of mcguffins.

I preordered the novelization today because I *hope* it makes some of the movie make sense.

The point isn't that the JJ cut would have been better, the point is that the reason there is no JJ cut is that Disney decided that some ur-audience member didn't want it and tried to chop and change the film to appeal to this theoretical person, of whom they assume(erroneously, it turns out, now that the film is out) there are billions. If you don't like the movie you can't even say JJ Abrams hosed up, because who knows how much of JJ Abrams's work is even on screen!

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I want the original cut of TFA that SMG kept theorizing about a while back

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Somebody must be feeling hot under the collar for people to keep talking this way. I wonder if Kennedy is a little worried after all.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Must have to do with the presumed leak from reddit yesterday, which caused #ReleaseTheJJCut to trend overnight on Twitter. These articles on Wapo and Indiewire popped up this morning.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Eimi posted:

Also you can argue Grey Jedi have been a thing since the OT since Luke does a poo poo job of acting like any of the other Jedi shown,
So if a character isn't a lovely stock character, we need to come up with new terminology to explain this?

Grey Jedi are based on an dumbass understanding of the Force that conforms to the alignment charts from AD&D. It's for nerds with broken brains.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Grey Jedi aren't just centrists? "It's okay to kill some younglings if they're not humanoid."

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Yeah, I don't see where it ever said Jedi were Paladins. They're very Buddhism 101 and the path to the dark-side is all emotions, not just "evil" ones. ESB is very clear on that, what fucks everything up for Luke is the idea that he can change destiny at all.

E: I thought it was clear that the Force is like a fantasy version of karma, and once you're born you can't change karma. It's just your fate. So the dark side, in both the OT and PT, tempts people by making them believe that they can change destiny, specifically with visions. And attempts to fight against it are always futile.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 2, 2020

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

feedmyleg posted:

Grey Jedi aren't just centrists? "It's okay to kill some younglings if they're not humanoid."

Jedi are already centrists, Grey Jedi are more like "we could agree to use the One Ring just a little, where's the harm?"

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jedi are ambivalent regarding slavery, so presumably grey jedi would be mildly to moderately in favor of it

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Among the several things I didn't get about the transport scene was the way they just cut to Chewie meekly trudging along with his hands cuffed, shoulders slumped. Like I'm supposed to buy that he just kind of put his hands up and resigned himself to captivity, instead of flipping out and murdering several stormtroopers bare handed until he had to be put down by force and dragged onto the ship. Even if you ignore Solo, it's long established that the guy watched the Empire enslave his entire planet, and was himself a slave for however long, but there he is just being led off in handcuffs without any further struggle. I don't even know why that specifically stood out to me so much, when it's just one bizarre scene among many.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The movie is completely consistent with the EU material on that one. Chewie, as a centrist between a government ambivalent to slavery and a government that is actively enthusiastic towards slavery, is moderately sympathetic towards the idea of being enslaved

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Chewie is all about family

*doesn’t come home for 40 years*

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Slavery, but with safewords.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Yeah when Luke tried to put handcuffs on him Chewie almost tore him in half they would have had to drag him

Also he's a seasoned warrior, scout, resistance fighter, smuggler, etc., so there's no way he just wanders out of the ship past a bunch of bad guys looking for Rey who, we see, is only about 30-40 feet away.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm glad I didn't watch this movie and instead read about it itt.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I just wanted you all to know that Lando spent 20 years living with Squid people.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Why is there no label for his pimp cane?

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
will never not get irrationally angry at centrist chewie

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Qui-Gon just straight up abandoning Shmi Skywalker to die in slavery and Anakin never bothering to free her is pretty loving hilarious considering they are the law enforcement of the Old Republic

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

How did his winning smile get a caption and not his cane

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

JBP posted:

I'm glad I didn't watch this movie and instead read about it itt.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Unoriginal Name posted:

Qui-Gon just straight up abandoning Shmi Skywalker to die in slavery and Anakin never bothering to free her is pretty loving hilarious considering they are the law enforcement of the Old Republic

the galactic civil war was about sith's rights, not slavery

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I hope SMG's final post on the forums is him saying that he's sitting in the theatre about to watch RoS.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Lol at his mouth getting a label

Unoriginal Name posted:

Can only assume slavery is not illegal in this setting, OP.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Unoriginal Name posted:

How should they have gone about freeing her?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah, if we lived in fantasy land it would be great to not have the rampant practice of slavery throughout the galaxy, but how are we going to pay for efforts to emancipate these people? - Succ zone chewie

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, could we even afford it after this secret fleet of superlaser star destroyers we built? Plus we're still in debt from that secret clone army we footed the bill for.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Disney mandate: Season 2
Din Djarin comes into possession of Anakin Skywalkers lightsaber, it was salvaged by Kwiil in Cloud City and he left him a message on the ship about it's location and his knowledge of Jedi before he died. He must get it at the end of episode 1, fight Moff Gideon with it in the last episode, and deliver the saber to Maz Kanata in exchange for information on The Child's homeworld.

You kid but we know these will happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

YaketySass posted:

How should they have gone about freeing her?

Indiscriminate murder, the true Jedi way.