Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Every season of Mr. Robot is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

3 people posted:

Mr Robot bad.

Escobarbarian posted:

Every season of Mr. Robot is good

Damnit I hate when I see stuff like this for something I thought was great after the first season, decided to wait till it finished, and have just started the full and final rewatch. I feel like I should find out myself either way, but in recent years my tolerance for bad shows that waste my time, especially after they started out so good, has plummeted. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking in the back of my mind should I cut my losses and move on to the witcher or the mandalorean or something.

I mean, the entire reason I started to do the "wait till it's finished after a good first season" thing is to avoid wasting my time on bad shows that start off disguised as good shows, so I guess if people can convincingly describe why Mr Robot isn't worth the investment I should let that policy start to pay off in this case? But then on the other hand I just witnessed a bunch of people making GBS threads on BSG in the Expanse thread today and that was just TVIV :rolleyes: lolworthy.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Mr robot good

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Different people can (dis)like the same thing for different reasons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Mr robot isn't perfect but I don't get those complaints at all

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm liking You: Season 2 so far.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Meatgrinder posted:

Watched the latest seasons of:
Marvelous Mrs Maisel. Much like the protagonist, this show is "cute as a button". It's fun, beautifully choreographed and there are so many cool cameos now. Watching Tony Shalhoub doing scenes with Jason Alexander is just heartwarming. I am also a big fan of the long scenic shots where a bunch of stuff is happening at once. I still miss some of the darkness and desperation that started the show off; everything seems to be working out just fine for everyone, barring the occasional plot-advancing 'catastrophe', of course. Still, incredibly enjoyable to watch.

The latest season hung onto "enjoyable to watch" status only by the skin of its teeth—I watched the last couple of episodes more out of obligation than desire. It seems like the writers want to settle all of the characters into a comfortable rut so that they can milk this thing for another 7 seasons, but I'm afraid the teet is already running dry.

Meaningful character or plot development is reserved for supporting characters, and for some reason all of the b-plots take up residence within the wacky world of 90's poo poo tier SNL-spinoffs (I repeat myself). The titular Mrs. Maisel spends the second half of the season retreading the first half of the season after an incomprehensible u-turn that I guess is meant to serve as some sort of climax. What was a charming fish out of water story is now just a (cute as a button, I admit) fish doing laps in a bowl. Even on the other side of the b-plot wall the writers seem entirely unwilling to deal with the consequences of whatever dumb poo poo they had the characters do last episode to demonstrate their zany charm. Tony Shalhoub deserves better.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its funny because I could swear Henry Cavil was better in The Tudors, but I guess he didn't have much to do there. Probably better as a side-character than the star.

Maybe it's because I'm not big on movies but I didn't even recognize it as the same guy. To be fair even though I enjoyed The Tudors I don't really remember his character.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Mr. Robot S2 was bad enough that I've never felt the pull to return to it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wallet posted:

Maybe it's because I'm not big on movies but I didn't even recognize it as the same guy. To be fair even though I enjoyed The Tudors I don't really remember his character.

It wasn't a super major role, but he was one of Henry's best friends and ended up marrying his sister.

Charles Brandon.

Solid chance he got the witcher audition because he already had medieval footage on his audition tape lol

(I imagine the same was true of Natalie Dormer landing a gig on Game of Thrones)

Apparently he was also in Stardust, which I don't remember at all, but I'm guessing he was one of the princes that basically dies instantly?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Cactus posted:

Damnit I hate when I see stuff like this for something I thought was great after the first season, decided to wait till it finished, and have just started the full and final rewatch. I feel like I should find out myself either way, but in recent years my tolerance for bad shows that waste my time, especially after they started out so good, has plummeted. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking in the back of my mind should I cut my losses and move on to the witcher or the mandalorean or something.

I mean, the entire reason I started to do the "wait till it's finished after a good first season" thing is to avoid wasting my time on bad shows that start off disguised as good shows, so I guess if people can convincingly describe why Mr Robot isn't worth the investment I should let that policy start to pay off in this case? But then on the other hand I just witnessed a bunch of people making GBS threads on BSG in the Expanse thread today and that was just TVIV :rolleyes: lolworthy.

What I do when a poster says he really likes or dislikes a show I'm ambiguous about, is look at his posting history in this thread and scan for shows we've both watched. If, on the whole, we like the same things, I will give the show a shot. If not, then not. This is combined with information on critical and popular reception and maybe trailers though.

I mean, it's all just opinions so it is basically impossible to know what you'll like based on what anyone else says they like, but it's how I try to get a sense for it if I'm on the fence about it. It is also why I try to say what I like or dislike about a show and not just go "its good lol", which I guess does hold some value if a lot of people say it but I like a whole bunch of things no one else does so I do try to elaborate without spoilering.

Mind you I only read and post in this thread, since a) I only binge shows once they're done so I avoid spoilers in the show's specific threads and b) I tried reading a big show's thread once and, honestly, it was like reading early 2010s youtube comments. So I may have a very narrow scope on things, is what I'm saying.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I think he was the douchebag that courting the main dude's crush in Stardust.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

Solid chance he got the witcher audition because he already had medieval footage on his audition tape lol

He got the Witcher audition because he played the games then eventually read the books and when he heard they were going to make a show he got his agent to call the production literally every day until they caved and met with him because he wanted it so bad.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
yeah sure

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zzulu posted:

yeah sure

if this was at the post about Cavill, dude being a huge huge dorkass has been a known quantity forever

he nearly missed the call for Man of Steel because he was raiding with his WoW guild

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Yeah he's a massive fuckin dork, who the hell else would play through the w3 multiple times, become the character and then literally take the costume and wig home so that they can wear it around the house doing normal poo poo

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Google Butt posted:

Yeah he's a massive fuckin dork, who the hell else would play through the w3 multiple times, become the character and then literally take the costume and wig home so that they can wear it around the house doing normal poo poo

Viggo mortensen, only instead of playing w3 it would be writing poetry and recording eps with Buckethead.

Let's be honest here, Cavill was the biggest star that the Witcher could realistically get, they where kinda lucky he is a big dork who loves the setting.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He's probably only doing it because the Superman movies suck

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm liking You: Season 2 so far.

I just finished the second season. Still kinda liked the first season more, but if it gets canceled now at least it has a decent ending. Also finished up Silicon Valley. I'm surprised it didn't have a thread.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just watched first season of Lost with my sister. It is like my 3rd time watching the show but my sister hasn't watched it and last time I watched it was like 7 years ago or something. It is crazy how rewatchable this show is, as long as you pretend the last episode doesn't exist.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why would you pretend such a good episode doesn’t exist

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

You dun hosed up now. You engaged with the topic that shall not be spoken.

Your list should be stricken from the record!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I watched Lost for the first time last year and if you go into it with years of "this is the worst series finale of all time" in your brain, it is shocking how not-that-bad it seems in comparison to the rhetoric. For comparison I also just finished watching the original run of The X-Files - now THAT is a terrible final season/series finale.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Lost had one of the best finales. The series storyline was meandering and convoluted but fun to watch and the ending wrapped things up pretty well.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

wormil posted:

Lost had one of the best finales. The series storyline was meandering and convoluted but fun to watch and the ending wrapped things up pretty well.

My view was pretty much the opposite. I found the adventure way more fun than the destination. But I am definitely not part of the people who think the ending invalidates all the good parts of it. It is still one of my favorite tv shows of the last decade.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 31, 2019

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Ulio posted:

My view was pretty much the opposite. I found the adventure way more fun than the destination. But I am definitely not part of the people who think the ending invalidates all the good parts of it. It is still one of my favorite tv shows of the last decade.

Lost was TV show that clearly had no end in mind despite what anyone later claimed and was a collaborative product with input from thousands of sources from writers, set designers, wardrobe, actors, producers, studio, etc. The show's strengths were compelling characters, non-stereotypical diversity, and their drama, the good guys weren't too good and the bad guys weren't too bad. Ben Linus is among the best TV villains of all time but for some reason is largely forgotten. The mystery was icing on the cake. IMO it's better now that you can binge watch it. When it originally aired I was so over it I almost didn't watch the final season.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ulio posted:

Exactly, and to this day I am not sure how I feel about the finale. Still A+ TV.

I will say that the Game of Thrones finale has somewhat tainted the series overall for me. Hell I thought there was some good episodes even this last season, but to give the audience an unearned ending out of nowhere almost ruins the whole thing. I am not talking about Daenerys' arch either. I am fine with that. It is more about how the whitewalkers ended up being no big deal and how Bran ends up on the throne. loving rush job.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 1, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My Lost problem was how overly manipulative it was with the sad slow Giacchino music with everyone hugging each other and crying. It just didn't feel earned in the finale while it was 100% natural in The Constant. I loved the flying punch by Jack though.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Watched all of the Mandalorian. A powerful example of how low key, basic elements go a long, long way to tell a story well, and that you don't need to flood the screen with CGI and rampaging space wizards to keep the audience entertained. It was fun to watch, and only floundered a little in the last episode because it had to have last episode things, like wrap up storylines and set up new ones. I only hope its creators have a specific storyline worked out, and we don't get endless seasons rehashing this one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

6 episodes into The Witcher and I'm liking it well enough. It doesn't feel too campy to me. Took a little bit to get going but once the main characters' plot lines intersected around episode 3 things really started taking off.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Meatgrinder posted:

Watched all of the Mandalorian. A powerful example of how low key, basic elements go a long, long way to tell a story well, and that you don't need to flood the screen with CGI and rampaging space wizards to keep the audience entertained. It was fun to watch, and only floundered a little in the last episode because it had to have last episode things, like wrap up storylines and set up new ones. I only hope its creators have a specific storyline worked out, and we don't get endless seasons rehashing this one.

I finally bit the Disney+ bullet and as a consequence I watched all of The Mandalorian yesterday. It's good, I like how he's essentially a samurai/ronin.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Was Lost's season finale as bad as Game of Thrones?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jesus Christ not even close.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Lost gets a ton of poo poo and hate from almost everybody I talk to about it in real life and on the internet. I think SA is one of the only few places where it doesn't get too much hate. I get the hate, but it's still one of my favourite shows. At the very least it had characters you actually cared about as opposed to poo poo like Game of Thrones where I don't give a poo poo if they all died in a fire. (which judging from the reactions to the last season, is probably what happened? I didn't bother watching)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If Lost was made today it would be 6x13 episodes and it would be great.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

It was worse

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Lost finale wasn't as bad IMO.

Lost was bad because they had a bunch of things that didn't quite make sense, and they kept saying "it'll make sense one day!" and it never really did. They also teased some much smarter cooler ideas that they didn't end up doing.

But Game of Thrones the whole conflict is built up to a wet fart, the characters all start acting like different, much dumber people, and then the wrong person gets declared king, the end.

The biggest difference is Lost's seasons had many self-contained plot arcs which resolved in satisfying ways, and will continue to hold up as great TV. Game of Thrones always felt like it was building towards something, and then didn't. It was mostly one big arc. I guess you could say that the death of Joffrey was an arc?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Games of thrones plot ends basically how it was always building it was just insanely rushed so it was really unsatisfying.

Lost had no plan and just had to end poo poo randomly

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
LOST's finale also suffered from a few episodes of really lovely buildup, same as Thrones tho. The actual finale is mediocre, but the way the final season has, clearly, no idea what to do with half the cast is pretty miserable. The conclusion to the Sun /Jinn arc is both stupid and, look, I'm gonna call it racist but feel free to disagree, not helped by the everyone goes to Christian heaven thing.

Neither are good. I'm not really into ranking how unemployable things are, but Thrones was more a problem of sheer incompetence, while LOST was merely pedestrian, for the most part.

Neither are anywhere near Wrath Of The Lamb or Family Meeting or Everybody's Waiting.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Lost finale wasn't as bad IMO.

Lost was bad because they had a bunch of things that didn't quite make sense, and they kept saying "it'll make sense one day!" and it never really did. They also teased some much smarter cooler ideas that they didn't end up doing.

But Game of Thrones the whole conflict is built up to a wet fart, the characters all start acting like different, much dumber people, and then the wrong person gets declared king, the end.

The biggest difference is Lost's seasons had many self-contained plot arcs which resolved in satisfying ways, and will continue to hold up as great TV. Game of Thrones always felt like it was building towards something, and then didn't. It was mostly one big arc. I guess you could say that the death of Joffrey was an arc?

Well put on the Lost ending. I put Lost with BSG: they tried and failed but at least they tried and sorta cared. GoT was a zero effort shite done by two guys that could care less about the world they built or the fans. They were done and ready to collect their next paycheque or explain why slavery wasn’t THAT bad actually. It wasn’t a deliberate “gently caress you - got mine” but it felt like that to we, the fans, because they just didn’t give a toss. I don’t blame the actors a bit, none seemed to phone it in. I still think Tru Blood and Dexter had worse endings... though GoT’s did ruin the entire show for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

See what you did?