Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
noticed that my local Costco no longer has the Cheeseburger on the menu. Is it dead? It should be, because it was terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Chinatown posted:

noticed that my local Costco no longer has the Cheeseburger on the menu. Is it dead? It should be, because it was terrible.
i think so. i'm not actually sure they even rolled it out to my costco or if they did it was very brief. also the al pastor is gone

the horrendous acai bowl is still available though i think, though id imagine it's days are numbered too. costco's food court handling the past year or two is just loving lol. they're really trying to turn it into some profit-center poo poo and yet it's never going to be. id imagine 2020 is the gunna be the end of the $1.5 dog n drink combo but it'd still be a good deal at $2

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 2, 2020

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
They also got rid of the *plant based protein* salad.

Bring back the god drat Polish Dog you cowards.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Chinatown posted:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Chinatown posted:

I had heard that the salad was seasonal and would come back in Spring?

The burger is pretty decent. It went from a regular to a double cheeseburger and justified the price point, iirc.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FilthyImp posted:

I had heard that the salad was seasonal and would come back in Spring?

The burger is pretty decent. It went from a regular to a double cheeseburger and justified the price point, iirc.
oh right that vaguely sounds familiar. it was dece but i just don't really think about getting a salad when i'm there, im usually buying things to make salad at home instead.

the issue with the burg is that it's really more a sit-down food item, takes more labor and time to prepare and can hold up the line, and is priced more than the 'za or dog. And there are plenty of places to get great cheap burgs but not many where you get good dogs. It's not really something you can grab and walk around or take it and eat as you leave, and so you probably want to sit; yet seating at every costco i've been too is super limited and a huge clusterfuck as it butts up against the exits from the registers right into the line and tables and it's already sort of miserable. it's hard to even think about paying $5 for a burger, and it's extremely heavy and caloric, especially when a $1.5 dog is right there instead.

they'd be better served focusing on slinging portable handheld food items and ones that can be put out quicker like giant pretzels, stromboli, jalapeno poppers, bulgogi bakes, cornish pasties/steak-n-ale/cottage pies, frozen yogurt/smoothies/softserve, bean-n-cheese burritos or whatever poo poo like that. keep it simple, and keep it portable-oriented.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

The burger is pretty decent.

No.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Chinatown posted:

:emptyquote:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My Costco doesn't carry the Jamon Serrano and I'm starting to get unreasonably upset.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Chinatown posted:

I saw it at mine a few days ago.

Also Bitchin Sauce has made its way to Illinois! I bought a tub of Chipotle (only one they had) and put some on toast and it was pretty drat tasty. I did run across a few reviews on Amazon and elsewhere that they changed the recipe: https://www.amazon.com/Bitchin-Sauce-Original/dp/B078HN4XQF

Can anyone confirm/deny? Like that first review stated I definitely feel like it's kind of watery and you could pour it out of the container.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Wanted to to try the double cheeseburger last few times but the 1k calorie count kinda scared me off

Def gonna pig out next time I’m there in case it disappears

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Barry posted:

I saw it at mine a few days ago.

Also Bitchin Sauce has made its way to Illinois! I bought a tub of Chipotle (only one they had) and put some on toast and it was pretty drat tasty. I did run across a few reviews on Amazon and elsewhere that they changed the recipe: https://www.amazon.com/Bitchin-Sauce-Original/dp/B078HN4XQF

Can anyone confirm/deny? Like that first review stated I definitely feel like it's kind of watery and you could pour it out of the container.

My Costco hasn't had it since late Summer, either they're not stocking it or running out, but as far as the recipe-change goes, uh, it shouldn't be pour-able. It's more like.. a ricotta/hummus consistency, maybe even a little more dense but you get the picture.

that said sometimes the oil does separate out and sit at the top, but it should be relatively minor amount compared to the tub.

that'd be a shame if they did gently caress it up though

Xaris fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 2, 2020

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Kansas City Costcos don't have the sauce. I've looked. Often.

It makes me sad.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

No Butt Stuff posted:

Kansas City Costcos don't have the sauce. I've looked. Often.

It makes me sad.

I kinda hope it never shows up at mine, because there is no way it lives up to the goon hype.

Also, apparently I'm a Costco regular now. Last two times I've gone the card checker has waved me past without checking my card because they recognized me.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’ve only had Bitchin Sauce from Whole Foods and it was kinda runny. Maybe the correct way to describe it is that it wasn’t particularly emulsified - there was thin and thick dip in the container but they weren’t joined at all. Maybe that’s why I didn’t like it that much.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Enos Cabell posted:

I kinda hope it never shows up at mine, because there is no way it lives up to the goon hype.

Also, apparently I'm a Costco regular now. Last two times I've gone the card checker has waved me past without checking my card because they recognized me.

Do they actually really check people's cards where you're at? Every Costco I've ever been to people just hold their cards in view while they walk in.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Yeah ours doesn’t care about checking cards of people coming in that much...

I’m gonna want to make a batch of sour kraut and sausage and mine has garlic and jalapeño sausage plus the sour kraut... can’t wait to try it! It’s not true kielbasa but I hardly ever do that anymore

As far as food court goes, dog (with refill) and a churro is the most true order, although people who stray are still accepted with open arms :)

Pizza is for taking out and since we live right next door, it’s the only pizza we ever get now

I’m dying for that adjustable elevated (elevating?) desk to go on sale again... now that I know the sale price it’s tough to justify buying it at regular price :(

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Our vacuum gave up the ghost and the Dyson was on sale at the Co...

Holy moly what a vacuum!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Inspector 34 posted:

Do they actually really check people's cards where you're at? Every Costco I've ever been to people just hold their cards in view while they walk in.

I’m not sure they’re actually “checking the cards” as much as counting members entering. They always seem to be holding one of those counters.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Yeah on the way in they only care that you appear to be holding a Costco membership card. For several years I had a card with no photo, and at some point the cashiers began demanding my driver's license in order to complete the transaction at my local warehouse. The other nearby ones didn't care as much and they have better produce, but are a minimum of an extra 20 minutes of driving each way.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

david_a posted:

I’m not sure they’re actually “checking the cards” as much as counting members entering. They always seem to be holding one of those counters.
Ive been to some that just click people in and some that need a card before you're waived in.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Some Costcos are doing $40 off their Filet Mignon packs the next two weeks. Others reporting $20 off

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

LadyPictureShow posted:

Our vacuum gave up the ghost and the Dyson was on sale at the Co...

Holy moly what a vacuum!

Yeah, we just got a Dyson v11, the highest end one at Costco, for $450. It's pulling dust out of our carpet that our corded vacuum wasn't. Also with all the attachments off, it kind of looks like some scifi blaster.

The mattress tool was perfect for vacuuming my boardgame table.

https://twitter.com/Ravendas16/status/1211736537693609984/photo/1

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah they don't actually inspect the cards but rather make sure you have one in hand. Last few times I was in the process of pulling it out of my wallet when the lady waved me on in and said she remembered me.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah they don't actually inspect the cards but rather make sure you have one in hand. Last few times I was in the process of pulling it out of my wallet when the lady waved me on in and said she remembered me.

I've always assumed checking cards at the entrance is mostly to get headcounts so they can properly man the registers and filter out the odd person who doesn't realize they need a membership to buy (most) stuff.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I once had a CostCo employee run up to me while eating a dog and demand that I show my card

It was really confusing

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fallom posted:

I once had a CostCo employee run up to me while eating a dog and demand that I show my card

It was really confusing

The Costco Cheka

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

One I go to there is one dude who will ask you to stop and show your card. Anybody else I've seen at the entrance doesn't care and just clicks.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

4505 chicharron is on sale this month!!! Grab some and float with me among the pork clouds!!!

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
They're supposed to check for cards at the door because they use the clicker in their hand to count the memberships walking in, not the people. So if you walk in with your husband or wife and your two kids you're only going to add one to the count. The idea is that since it's one membership, it should only be one transaction at the register. Obviously people often do separate transactions for reasons such as personal and business, but it's the best they can do to most accurately predict how busy or slow they're going to be. Then they can open up more registers or maybe send an employee home early to save on payroll. If you're ever near an employee with walkie and want to eavesdrop on radio chatter, a common thing asked is "what's the current door count?".

I think they're less strict about it now than they used to be. You still need your membership card at the register anyway, the register won't even let the cashier do anything before scanning your card. Most likely the ones who demand to see your card at the door are employees who have been there for like 20 years and that's just the way they were trained.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Chinatown posted:

this fuckin thing was so amazingly gross

i hate-ate my way through one because i just didnt have any better options for lunch at work but it's really hard to accurately convey how much i hated it

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

namlosh posted:

I’m dying for that adjustable elevated (elevating?) desk to go on sale again... now that I know the sale price it’s tough to justify buying it at regular price :(

Do you know how much you saw that for? Those things are a hot commodity in my office.

Like, coworkers have had falling outs over who called dibs first when someone quits. A few people even used part of their christmas bonus even to buy one for themselves.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jingleheimer posted:

I think they're less strict about it now than they used to be. You still need your membership card at the register anyway, the register won't even let the cashier do anything before scanning your card. Most likely the ones who demand to see your card at the door are employees who have been there for like 20 years and that's just the way they were trained.
nah we've been going to price club/costco since like 1992 and they never actually checked the card, just walk in and flash it or carry it. you could just carry a safeway card in bc they look similar for all it matters. but yeah you can't checkout so it's mostly moot.

Unless that's what you meant and now they let you just walk in without showing anything, although ive seen it happen sometimes they usually still ask if someone walks in without carrying a card in their hand

weird as gently caress that that one goon had an employee accost them while eating a dog tho, ive never ever seen or heard of that happening.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Our food courts are outside and don't need a membership.

At lunch time there's a huge line of workers from the Amazon warehouse workers next door that feast on cheap eats.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

BraveUlysses posted:

this fuckin thing was so amazingly gross

i hate-ate my way through one because i just didnt have any better options for lunch at work but it's really hard to accurately convey how much i hated it

The vegan salad is awesome and rocks my socks.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Our food courts are outside and don't need a membership.

At lunch time there's a huge line of workers from the Amazon warehouse workers next door that feast on cheap eats.

I thought even the indoor food courts you don't actually need a membership to order at. Like anyone is supposed to be able to buy there, they just happen to be inside a Costco.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Even if the Bitchin Sauce is watered down now, I am happy to have it in Michigan. Picked up some kimchi fried rice because I haven't seen it before. We finally got the frozen ramen in November and it has been my go-to lazy lunch so maybe the fried rice can dethrone it.

PBUC

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

phosdex posted:

I thought even the indoor food courts you don't actually need a membership to order at. Like anyone is supposed to be able to buy there, they just happen to be inside a Costco.

this is correct, also pharmacy, and liquor. i feel like the whole get in and get out is a little murky re: cards and being asked for papers

Valth001
Jul 20, 2014

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

this is correct, also pharmacy, and liquor. i feel like the whole get in and get out is a little murky re: cards and being asked for papers

Liquor is on a state by state basis, WA warehouses do not allow you to purchase liquor without a membership for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

phosdex posted:

Supposed to. At the one by my work that is an indoor foodcourt, we used to go in the exit until the receipt checkers started cracking down and told us to do through the entrance. I think if you tell them you're just using the food court they'll let you in just fine.