Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Henny Beaumont: a hostile climate for hope – As Australia burns, Arctic ice melts and the climate crisis displaces ever more people, human positions are becoming more deeply entrenched"

Telegraph:

Let's be friends: Boris Johnson's new year message to remainers (:fuckoff:)

Independent:

Times:

Ghosn 'hid in musical instrument case' during escape from Japan

Evening Standard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Stultus Maximus posted:

I consider him to be polling low enough to be irrelevant.

How many votes does he need to pull in a general to let Trump win?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

MelvinBison posted:

I remember hearing a version of that story (maybe even in this thread) where Athena did that so Medusa would be able to protect herself in case she was attacked again.

Jurgan posted:

I love the alternate reading that Athena gave her superpowers so she could protect herself in the future. I don’t know if it’s true, but I read that women in Ancient Greece often read it that way to the point where Medusa heads were used to mark women’s shelters.

Ah yes, I forgot this reading. I love it. I mean, she definitely did go live in a cave with her sisters, but that never stopped men from bothering her, apparently. She just couldn't get them to leave her alone.

There's a million versions of Medusa's story, but they're all very tragic.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

It's always funny to me that Greek gods seem to be incapable of undoing the curses of other gods. One gives you snake hair? Here's stone vision. One strikes you blind? Now you can see the future. I guess the mythology wouldn't be as interesting if they could.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm not sure I buy that reading of Medusa because the classic setup for a classical Greek myth is:
Human: "I have positive quality!"
God, disguised as anything from a stag to just an old person: "Would you say you have...very positive quality?"
Human: "Yup!"
God, revealing themselves "HOW DARE YOU SAY YOU ARE GOOD TO A GOD! NOW YOU ARE AN ANIMAL OR SOMETHING"

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Are panels 3 & 4 being identical part of a joke?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

What's the story behind Trump taking away the NHS? I remember he said something dumb indicating that he wanted to, but how would that even work?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Riatsala posted:

It's always funny to me that Greek gods seem to be incapable of undoing the curses of other gods. One gives you snake hair? Here's stone vision. One strikes you blind? Now you can see the future. I guess the mythology wouldn't be as interesting if they could.

They could if they were more powerful or somehow cleverer than the other god they just typically didn't care. Remember the whole deal with Perseus and Medusa is that various gods gave him magical poo poo to enable him to beat Medusa like the helmet of invisibility.

Hera hosed around with Hercules constantly because she was really mad at Zeus for cheating on her with Herc's mom but she couldn't do anything to him. He could have easily stopped her if he'd known she was doing it but he was an absentee dad who didn't really give a poo poo.

Zeus for example was able to break into Hades and rescue Persephone when no one else could. But Hades had a lot of power there too so they ended up having to compromise on her staying six months out of the year there because she ate some hell-fruit.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

kaschei posted:

Are panels 3 & 4 being identical part of a joke?

No. It's separate panels the nib site so they might have uploaded one of them incorrectly but it's fixed now.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm not sure I buy that reading of Medusa because the classic setup for a classical Greek myth is:
God, disguised as anything from a stag to just an old person: "Would you say you have...very positive quality?"
God, revealing themselves "HOW DARE YOU SAY YOU ARE GOOD TO A GOD! NOW YOU ARE AN ANIMAL OR SOMETHING"

Wasn’t that kind more or less their way of explaining why the gods let terrible things happen to the world? “Yeah, it turns out that they’re all a bunch of egotistical shitheads who just so happened to get all of the power, so try not to piss them off... even if you’ll probably have no idea until it’s too late.”

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Regalingualius posted:

Wasn’t that kind more or less their way of explaining why the gods let terrible things happen to the world? “Yeah, it turns out that they’re all a bunch of egotistical shitheads who just so happened to get all of the power, so try not to piss them off... even if you’ll probably have no idea until it’s too late.”

Know your place or you'll become the origin story for the existence of spiders.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Leak, Son of Leak:

Tex Perkins, as part of ABC's live broadcast New Year's Eve celebrations in Sydney Harbour, dedicated his performance of "The Honeymoon Is Over" to Scott Morrison and flipped the bird in the direction of the PM's house.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Jurgan posted:

Kids. I was there in 2008 when it was the Mallard Fillmore Megathread.

Imagine going back in time to tell them one day Drinky Duck would make a comic offensive enough to get suspended from making new comics. How many people would have guessed anti-Semitism/Islamophobia?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Chamale posted:

Imagine going back in time to tell them one day Drinky Duck would make a comic offensive enough to get suspended from making new comics. How many people would have guessed anti-Semitism/Islamophobia?

I took a break from this thread last year, what happened?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

HootTheOwl posted:

"Death of the Author" is doubly applicable when the author is unknown. If women want to re-imagine the story to be more empowering, good for them.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Riatsala posted:

I took a break from this thread last year, what happened?

He dropped this lovely piece of work:

and it's been nothing but reruns ever since for some reason.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

What's the story behind Trump taking away the NHS? I remember he said something dumb indicating that he wanted to, but how would that even work?

Over the last few decades various services under the NHS have been outsourced to private companies, pretty much always making them worse but making the owners a lot of money because we've pretty much got to use them anyway since the only alternative is other private companies. With Brexit looming and Britain needing to start negotiating its own trade deals again, there's been a persistent fear that the privatisation is going to get a lot worse. The NHS is one of the most effective and popular healthcare systems in the world, so medical companies are greedily eyeing up its for-sale signs. Trump is pretty openly keen to negotiate that, and no one really believes Johnson when he says he'll refuse.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Lagomorphic posted:

He dropped this lovely piece of work:

and it's been nothing but reruns ever since for some reason.

Puzzling that it took this long. Thanks for filling me in.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Let's see how long I last THIS time. Let my needless suffering... BEGIN!

Gaybies nomination: Best Edit/Parody

Gaybies nomination: Worst cartoon about a Man-Made Tragedy
Gaybies nomination: Worst Gaslighter Cartoon

Gaybies nomination: Most Willfully Dense

Gaybies nomination: Worst Gaslighter Cartoon

Gaybies nomination: Best Edit/Parody

Gaybies nomination: Worst Gaslighter Cartoon (context from Jurgan: ""Anti-religion violence." So if I understand it correctly, he's trying to conflate church shootings with anti-Muslim and anti-Jewish violence and claim to be the victim of all of them, even though the perpetrators of the latter are often Christians with the same ideology as McCoy. Gotta have the persecution complex, can't live without it.")

Gaybies nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (LGBT) in a Cartoon

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I find it interesting that we have such interesting takes on these extremely old mythology. It helps that there are very few canonical takes that you can really say are above any others.

But yes every God is a horrible rat bastard and every goddess well they're actually fairly decent except Hera who was kind of really mean. I understand it's probably projecting but yeah.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Axe-man posted:

I find it interesting that we have such interesting takes on these extremely old mythology. It helps that there are very few canonical takes that you can really say are above any others.

But yes every God is a horrible rat bastard and every goddess well they're actually fairly decent except Hera who was kind of really mean. I understand it's probably projecting but yeah.

Nah, everyone of divinity in Greek mythology was a massive piece of poo poo somewhere. It's just Zeus and Hera took it well above and beyond the call of duty.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Axe-man posted:

The goddesses were poo poo too. Athena loses a loom-off and thus spiders. Diana turns her priest into a bear because she's raped. Hera makes Heracles go mad and kill his children for reasons I forget.

E: wait Diana is the Roman. I don't know about the bear woman and am too lazy to look it up

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

HootTheOwl posted:

The goddesses were poo poo too. Athena loses a loom-off and thus spiders. Diana turns her priest into a bear because she's raped. Hera makes Heracles go mad and kill his children for reasons I forget.

E: wait Diana is the Roman. I don't know about the bear woman and am too lazy to look it up

I had forgotten those yeah everyone in Greek myth was a piece of poo poo. Also hera was pissed cause zues banged a gal to get heracles so he would forever be a target of her wrath.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
They clearly understood pretty well about how powerful people act in general.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I wonder how Garrison is gonna justify the current warmongering with Iran, given that the only achievement he could point to last year was "no new wars"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Somfin posted:

I wonder how Garrison is gonna justify the current warmongering with Iran, given that the only achievement he could point to last year was "no new wars"

"Trump defended Are Boys overseas instead of LEAVING THEM TO DIE like HILLARY!!!!"

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Problem of Evil is a lot easier when you can just answer “God is a psychopath.”

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It took nine years, but Lester finally gives us the squeakquel:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Pants Donkey posted:

even in the best case scenario a whole bunch of people get shot because somebody has a gun, agc

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Somfin posted:

My guess is "seamlessly". Just dip right into it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Somfin posted:

"Yes but see Iran is super bad and terrorists so it's good Trump started a war with them!"

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Pants Donkey posted:

The Guy They Were There To Worship posted:

Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

How many votes does he need to pull in a general to let Trump win?

He can't run 3rd party. 46 states won't let him be on the ballot cause or sore loser laws

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

fool of sound posted:

He can't run 3rd party. 46 states won't let him be on the ballot cause or sore loser laws

He missed the deadline in Nevada, maybe he isn’t going to “lose” so he can run third party?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a lol.
https://twitter.com/MZanona/status/1212851941094699010?s=19

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

kaschei posted:

He missed the deadline in Nevada, maybe he isn’t going to “lose” so he can run third party?

Lol true, he can pick up a few extra states he declared to late to get in on, but if his goal is "throw the election" he's doing it in a stupid loving way.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fool of sound posted:

Can't be a sore loser if you never made the ballot

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

HootTheOwl posted:

The Trojan War started because goddesses are vain and catty.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Popeslapped!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012