Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

I thought Jenny recently made her Twitter private because of the Star Wars shitstorm.

Yeah, I didn't notice since I was already following her and I haven't been reading closely since I was ducking spoilers. She said she's just taking a little mental health break. So, oops. She just had a few jokes mocking the excuses for Rose not being in the movie and a #ReleasetheAbhamsCut tweet.

Weird that the two actual people I still follow on Twitter are both on break. NyxFears went hidden about a week ago for a break. Just me and cockatiel themed comic strips now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't blame anyone for taking a break from Twitter. It's the real life equivalent of The Room Where All The Robots Scream At You joke from Portal 2. It's a nightmare to deal with.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Dawgstar posted:

Still a bit early for the long-form essays but Jenny's review is pretty spot on about pointing out how the flick is not so good, although it does miss out on things that have come to light recently like the screenwriter claiming it was Carrie Fisher's fault for being in so much unusable footage after she died for Rose being sidelined to a minute of screen time and Abrams letting Dominic Monaghan be in Star Wars for more time than Rose because the Hobbit's soccer team won something.

Wait, I thought that was a joke article?

Edit: AS A TRANS WOMAN! You know what I think the thread needs to talk about? Warhammer 40,000 Lore Dump Videos, courtesy of 40K Theroies!

For starters, lets learn about The Imperium of Man, The Chaos Powers, The Primarchs, And everyone's favorite green boys, The Orks.

Follow it with some sweet rear end chillwave!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByS1Rlk_AL8

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 3, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dUVZozf-i0&t=349s

It's been 11 years. :corsair:

You think he'll actually review it?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 3, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
James already released a teaser saying it's coming this month.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

James already released a teaser saying it's coming this month.

:dance: Yay.

I need to catch up on AVGN episodes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BigRed0427 posted:

Edit: AS A TRANS WOMAN! You know what I think the thread needs to talk about? Warhammer 40,000 Lore Dump Videos, courtesy of 40K Theroies!

For starters, lets learn about The Imperium of Man, The Chaos Powers, The Primarchs, And everyone's favorite green boys, The Orks.

Isn't 40K theories the raptor skeleton priest on the Emperor's Text To Speech series?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Max Wilco posted:

It's been 11 years. :corsair:

You think he'll actually review it?

Lord almighty, I remember when he put out his review of Street Fighter 2010 in 2010. I can't believe that was ten years ago. :corsair:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Isn't 40K theories the raptor skeleton priest on the Emperor's Text To Speech series?

Yeah, but I think he's only been in like 2 episodes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cyberdongs for all

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Only thing I’ll say about Contra is that I still find it distasteful that she kinda monetized her apology? Like she made it a Patreon exclusive at some point, or at least a preview, posted a more in-depth blog thing about it there, and I highly doubt she’s disabled monetization on that video.

Just comes off as trying to capitalize on it instead of engaging with her critics.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccWMC_JbfEI

I rarely post Skallagrim stuff but watching him react to a website's bizarre claims about his net worth and his physical appearance is entertaining.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

Only thing I’ll say about Contra is that I still find it distasteful that she kinda monetized her apology? Like she made it a Patreon exclusive at some point, or at least a preview, posted a more in-depth blog thing about it there, and I highly doubt she’s disabled monetization on that video.

Just comes off as trying to capitalize on it instead of engaging with her critics.

I'm pretty sure that the barely-censored tweets of her critics served two purposes, too: the obvious one is target them for harassment for her cis stans, but the less obvious one is when people heard that she was calling her haters out, a bunch of people obviously checked out the video to see if they were on the list. She baited her critics in driving up her traffic and rake in that YouTube money.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hey Calico Heart, I really enjoyed your Brigsby Bear video, and enjoyed watching Brigsby Bear because of your enthusiasm for it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Adding to the 40K vids, Snipe and Wib put up a video on Codex: Eldar 2nd Edition. It actually went up on Christmas Eve the Eve of Sanguinala, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Incidentally, both Snipe and Wib have done some minor voice work for TTS as well (Snipe as Saint Celestine and Scion Matilda, and Wib as Inquisitor Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau).

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Snipe and Wib are good people. Their talent for making the worst Warhammer creeps poo poo themselves hollow from Snipe... existing, is astounding.

One of the things that reallllllly rubs me loving sore about Contra's recent damp shart was the background collage of the part where she flags targets for her idiot fans shows 'harassing' tweets. All pastel trans flags, anime characters popular with Trans peeps, stripy kneesocks and Picrews.
I remember there was a violently dumb round of the Discourse on Trans Twitter last year where a bunch of self-assigned Trans Twitter all-stars making GBS threads on that exact same thing and trying to stir up a backlash to the Trans people who genuinely do like and represent through icons and avs like that. Basically trying to imply that Trans people who do that kinda "stereotypical" thing are trenders/fakes/whatever and all that lovely gatekeeping/exclusionary bullshit.

So naturally I'm so glad that Contra's basically resurrected it and her fans have taken to it like poo poo to a pig based on their Twitter screaming.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Casey Finnigan posted:

Okay so I'll qualify that my only exposure to the Fate series is Fate/Zero.

But yes, seriously. Fate/Zero is a loving insanely bad anime written by someone who has majorly weird issues with women. I watched the whole thing and I honestly couldn't tell you why I did. The ending is completely predictable from a mile away after just the first episode, even if you don't know that the grail is possessed by some sort of evil God or something?

They talk up summoning King Arthur, make a big deal about how King Arthur is the most powerful summon, blah blah, they summon the king and oh nooo it's a woman. The main character is pissed about this for some reason. Artoria - the most powerful fighter you can summon - then gets nicked very slightly in a battle by Cu Chulainn (a man) and is out of combat action for practically the entire series. Half the loving show is scenes of different, male kings summoned from history sitting down and telling Artoria that she sucks and that she's the worst king ever and that she's a loser. It's honestly kind of shocking

It was so bad that I have no interest in ever seeing anything in the Fate series or anything written by that guy (Gen Urobuchi) again. The fact that it was recommended to me as the best piece of Fate media is disconcerting to me.

i'm dragging this back from pages ago because i'm catching up on the thread and this made me loving spit my drink out it's such a bad take. F/Z is inarguably a huge sausage fest and inarguably has some weird issues with the female characters but you're partly missing context you were supposed to have, and you're partly just comically misinterpreting things

firstly: Artoria is not out of action for most of the series and you're super misremembering if that's how you remember it. the thing with her arm gets resolved within a couple episodes, and only comes back as a deliberate crutch she puts on herself so she can fight Diarmuid more fairly (since the duel where he did it got interrupted, and they desperately wanted to gently caress each other have an Honorable Knightly Duel)

secondly: it's explicitly said why Kiritsugu was a grump during the summoning, and it's because 1) he hates everyone else in that room with him other than Iri and Saber with every fiber of his being, and 2) he basically got the picture of what her deal is, with her being basically a scared teenage girl who had an entire country's hopes and wishes forced onto her, right off the bat and it pissed him the gently caress off, because getting huge mad at injustices that happen to other people is kind of a hereditary trait for the Emiya family. he doesn't care that she's a woman at all beyond that, and when Artoria assumes that's his beef, Iri shuts her down and explains what's actually up.

thirdly: yeah, the other kings poo poo on Artoria, but... this is partly the bit where you're missing context, and partly you assuming characters are supposed to be correct when the narrative doesn't necessarily want you to think that. on the former end, a lot of what Fate/zero has to do is set up Fate/stay night, which was written before it and where Artoria's arc is pretty much "depressed about being a lovely king, learns she was actually kinda great;" F/Z is kinda boxed into a corner on this one, because it has to put Artoria in that spot for FSN to still work. on the latter end, Gilgamesh is a complete garbage rear end in a top hat and Iskandar is... a decent dude but not necessarily the brightest. they also both have very weird and specific (and ancient) ideas about being a king. they're right about precisely one thing, and it's the thing Artoria totally fails to internalize until FSN: she needs to be confident in herself to be good at it. that's the real tragic irony of that conversation; she internalizes all the bullshit nonsense they throw at her, and doesn't grok the one piece of good advice in the entire conversation. meanwhile, Kiritsugu shits on her ideals too, but a lot of the active point of the series is that he's kind of a bad person with dumb idiot ideas; you're not supposed to watch it and think he's right about literally anything except how to defeat magic with the power of Big Gun. he is very good at killing people, and very bad at braining good.

Fate/zero isn't the best piece of Fate media, I would currently say that's like very very easily the Heaven's Feel movies, but it's solid as all hell and this is just a super weird and bad take that tells me you weren't paying attention to the show

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

egg tats posted:

hi I don't know why anyone's subjecting themselves to two hours of contrapoints wining about how she's the real victim for doing everything wrong over the course of an entire year. love yourself, it's ok to not.

infranauts video on the phrase "you couldn't make blazing saddles today" has been re-released after it got trapped in copyright jail and its very good! they go into the Hayes code a bit and the much less well known TV code, there's a bit where they just say how many cowboy shows there were. no one is opened up to entirely predictable retaliatory harrasment.

it's a good watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzMFoNZeZm0

This is a really good video.

On Contra, I could have accepted an apology for her platforming a person who doesn't think me being nonbinary is real but she a) monetized the apology and b) sent her followers towards people who didn't even @ her. It's real cool to see people say she was attacked on twitter and that I should feel sorry for her when she's doing the same thing to much smaller random people.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I just don't like the anime poo poo in the trans community because the anime fandom is weird as poo poo and I don't want to associate with it as a trans person myself. The amount of loving series I've had to stop watching because some pervert on the staff started inserting weird sex poo poo into it (Fate/Zero with the rape worms, Coffin Princess Chaika because the main character's sister wants to suck his dick, and so on) and the general contempt for women in a lot of it has soured me on a lot of it. I get that there has been a few positive representations of trans people in anime (Zombie Land Saga was apparently very good about it but I did not watch it, Double Decker did feature a subplot about how the lesbian cop lady took her trans friend to prom even though it got her a lot of hate for doing it), but also what bugs me is that there have been so many times that characters basically *are* trans but the writer is either too dumb to ask about it, is confused about what it's supposed to be, or can't explicitly say they're trans because it would piss someone off; Ferris from Re:Zero apparently looks in the mirror and chants positive feminine affirmation every loving morning in the light novel but in the series says "I'm a guy" to the protagonist, Luka from Stein;s Gate literally wants to get a gender change but the author muddies it up with all this poo poo about how it's because Luka thinks the main character would only be romantically involved with them if that were the case, and so on. It's just so loving annoying and tedious.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Young Freud posted:

I'm pretty sure that the barely-censored tweets of her critics served two purposes, too: the obvious one is target them for harassment for her cis stans, but the less obvious one is when people heard that she was calling her haters out, a bunch of people obviously checked out the video to see if they were on the list. She baited her critics in driving up her traffic and rake in that YouTube money.

You are making her into some kind of genius cackling behind the scenes as their plan to rake in a few more dollars from Youtube advertising falls into place and you probably shouldn’t do that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The rape worm thing ends up building up to unironically one of the most empathetic and respectful depictions of how sexual abuse affects a person I have ever seen in a thing period let alone anime

Like, Heaven's Feel is loving amazing, y'all

e: That plot point almost kind of feels like Fate in a nutshell, because it has a real habit of introducing things that are super massive red flags on paper, and then either making them a non-issue or handling them 10000x better than it has any right to

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 3, 2020

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Also gotta say, the amount of people asking trans women to prove Natalie's reckless tweet showing causing them harassment is Hella not cool.

https://twitter.com/FreyjaErlings/status/1212912409188454401?s=19

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

JordanKai posted:

Lord almighty, I remember when he put out his review of Street Fighter 2010 in 2010. I can't believe that was ten years ago. :corsair:

i first ran across his stuff in late 2004. i've been watching this dude for 15 fuckin years.

christ.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Dias posted:

Man, y'all been goons for decades in some cases and you never learned Not to Touch The Poop? That's how you use Twitter. You don't touch the poop.

Anyway...anyone made a decent Rise of Skywalker video essay yet? I frankly just want to see people get mad at the movie, I'm sorry, I'm weak.

Cosmonaut Variety Hour just released the final part of his Star Wars retrospective, which includes a review of RoS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QP5XTFl4hw

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i first ran across his stuff in late 2004. i've been watching this dude for 15 fuckin years.

christ.

There was a period where I couldn't watch his videos way back in the day because my PC did not like the video player he had on Cinemassacre and YouTube wasn't a thing yet.

We're getting old, all.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Y'know I was going to post a dumb hot take by the Cosmonaut guy that I saw about a week ago.

But then I saw this:
https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1212929322006261760
:allbuttons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcNO9VtjqUI

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

lol so between Bob, anime and contra this thread is basically gonna be unreadable for the next 15 pages, huh

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

McCloud posted:

lol so between Bob, anime and contra this thread is basically gonna be unreadable for the next 15 pages, huh

Don't forget Iran!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

YaketySass posted:

Don't forget Iran!

https://twitter.com/donoteat1/status/1212946120294502400?s=19

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Max Wilco posted:

Y'know I was going to post a dumb hot take by the Cosmonaut guy that I saw about a week ago.

But then I saw this:
https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1212929322006261760
:allbuttons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcNO9VtjqUI

What.

By the way, is it really canon that Palpatine is Anakin's father

rudecyrus fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 3, 2020

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

YaketySass posted:

Don't forget Iran!

I kinda assumed it wouldn't come up a lot since it has nothing to do with internet personalities, and you're right, that was very foolish of me :v:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

rudecyrus posted:

It's an interpretation I guess?

In RotS Palpatine says that Darth Plagueis could create life from the midichlorians (and that he taught his apprentice everything he knew), and in a recent comic Anakin has a vision that suggests Palpatine used the Force to create Anakin.

The first bit is Palpatine blatantly lying to try and recruit Anakin, and the second one is Anakin hopped up on the dark side and the creators have explicitly said that it's a reflection of his beliefs and not the truth.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Good thread:

https://twitter.com/plentyofalcoves/status/1212975503348514816?s=20

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

rudecyrus posted:

What.

Technically, Anakin was created by the Force as a reaction to a Dark Ritual conducted by Darth Palgueis and Palpatine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo&t=510s

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's an interpretation I guess?

In RotS Palpatine says that Darth Plagueis could create life from the midichlorians (and that he taught his apprentice everything he knew), and in a recent comic Anakin has a vision that suggests Palpatine used the Force to create Anakin.

The first bit is Palpatine blatantly lying to try and recruit Anakin, and the second one is Anakin hopped up on the dark side and the creators have explicitly said that it's a reflection of his beliefs and not the truth.

I choose to believe that latter as Anakin seeing it as Palpatine using sorcery to get his mum pregnant because he doesn't want to think about how it really happened.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like the idea that Plagueis and Palpatine tried to create the Force Antichrist and got Anakin by mistake, as I feel it's a very Jodorowsky plot point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like the idea that Plagueis and Palpatine tried to create the Force Antichrist and got Anakin by msitake, as I feel it's a very Jodorowsky plot point.

I'd like to think they fumbled a ritual and a blast of force energy just fired off into the sky that they wrote off as no big deal. Then they got bored, looked at where it flew off towards and oooohhh crap; it hit a planet. Right in the middle of a city. gently caress.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yeah, I didn't notice since I was already following her and I haven't been reading closely since I was ducking spoilers. She said she's just taking a little mental health break. So, oops. She just had a few jokes mocking the excuses for Rose not being in the movie and a #ReleasetheAbhamsCut tweet.

Weird that the two actual people I still follow on Twitter are both on break. NyxFears went hidden about a week ago for a break. Just me and cockatiel themed comic strips now.

jenny's been suffused with abuse from people calling her racist for saying she was disappointed with john boyega for making what she perceived to be a misogynist joke. she made a post about it on her tumblr and then deleted it. regardless of your view on what boyega said, that reading is prett yfucking wild

yeah I was trying to think of a way to say this earlier but I kinda wish contra had made like. an apology video, and then the second video where she names twitter people could go unmade, and then another person could make the cancel culture video so it could be A. not two hours long B. not come from someone who kinda deserved the criticism they were getting. related to the above jenny stuff but I think it could be an interesting vid b/c these twitter humans who assign the most uncharitable reads possible and demand you disavow if you're even tangentially related to subject of drama x, well, generally behave in a way that is a net negative as is discussed in this twitter thread. it would also be worth discussing how like, um, this doesn't seem to work except on people with some moral values & a small audience to lose. pewdiepie completely unscathed after encouraging mass shooting, projared survives with sub count intact after running several underage nude trading rings, etc.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

plagueis created anakin and then palpatine took credit for and also pretended to know everything plagueis knows so that no one would ever look too deeply into him and find out that he was trained in the ways of the sith by a guy with an easter island head.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

but I think it could be an interesting vid b/c these twitter humans who assign the most uncharitable reads possible and demand you disavow if you're even tangentially related to subject of drama x, well, generally behave in a way that is a net negative as is discussed in this twitter thread.

Generally twitter users need to start getting more comfortable with blocking outright poo poo-stirring. Twitter as a platform is toxic by design and if you fundamentally disagree with someone you need to mute and/or block them if they keep hounding your mentions. It won't just ward off them temporarily, it'll ward of their followers in the long-term. Quote retweet is the source of almost all dog-piling and harassment that happens on the platform and blocking is the only way to stop it.

It doesn't really matter if the person picking a fight with you has a legitimate cause or not. If they didn't change your mind the first time around you need to gate them off. If it seems like bad faith, it probably is. Even if you've really hosed up, you are under no obligation to just sit and read as intended abuse gets hurled your way. It's not helping anyone.

Also don't go looking for criticism outside of your mentions if you don't want to hear it, you'd think that much be obvious but evidently as we see in the video it's not :wtc:

EDIT: Twitter by design gives overexposure to bullies and abusers. It's not a culture thing that can be fixed, it's a genuine function of the platform.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I don't use Twitter, so I could be way off here, but it strikes me mostly as a self-promotion platform for everyone. For brands, for celebrities, for a weird pruned and cultured version of one's self. To use Twitter at all is to chase an eternal high of either seeking approval, donning a pet personality that seeks approval for you, or joining in a flame war to tear down someone else and revel in really lovely emotions. Walling yourself off from toxicity at all works in exact opposition to how things work on Twitter, and it's probably psychologically very difficult to do so, like only snorting every third grain of cocaine or something. And at any rate, every other interaction, even ones you enjoy, are part of the same feedback loop that keeps you using the platform. It's all chasing a dumb addictive high. Controlling your Twitter isn't the answer, getting off of it completely is.