Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

at last the running stops

wow that orc is legitimately terrifying

merry and pippin are told that they're being taken to isengard, and then

NO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

the fellowship of the legs finds pippin's pocketwatch, which by their deduction means he's still alive. they momentarily debate not running, but immediately agree this would not be acceptable. aragorn's off again before they even finish talking, the man's a machine

gimli, less so

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Hey this film is on Dailymotion in 4 parts
Here’s part 1
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4a593o

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i believe, and it gives me no pleasure to report this, that i have reached the part where bakshi ran out of money

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

free hubcaps posted:

gimli’s like 5’8”

Exactly, manlet

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

an army on horseback has come to the aid of the hobbits! the raw footage with the horses must have been shot before the money ran out. the animation, on the other hand...

i actually thought this was a ringwraith because of the creepy dead horse eyes, but no it's a heroic steed of red-blooded men. and what men they are! what men!

i also thought that rock on the left was a dead yoda gazing skyward

the orc army (still running) is also basically just raw film footage with outlines hastily applied

unfortunately, in an aesthetic break from the bizarre jagged orc fashion established earlier, the running orcs are all dressed in long grey flowing robes. why? i don't know, but they are. it gives them a disturbingly non-combatant aura

but in amongst all these technical difficulties, not to mention behind-the-scenes drama i currently know nothing about but will definitely be investigating, bakshi still found a way to express what's important to him

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i choose to believe bakshi is responsible for the foot thing because he's a hairy little hobbit person irl and it would actually be kind of adorable

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

fauna posted:

you loving what

Can someone make Arargorn’s face keep extending away from his head? It looks like he’s primed to win solitaire where the deck is his face about to bounce towards me

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

suddenly i'm in mordor with frodo and sam, and before i can even get my bearings this happens

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

so gollum in this is horrifying and i love it. sam tries to stab him to death, but gollum overpowers him

frodo comes to the rescue, and gollum begs for mercy

sam is merciless

gollum tries to run away but they catch him

it's all extremely troubling

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

gollum has joined the party!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

oh my

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

back to the battlefield. i didn't realise there was even a battle going on but there must be, because there is suddenly an army of horsemen facing off with an army of orcs and... elves? are those elves? they look too much like normal elves to be bakshi elves

by now the orc army has gone full minimalist and they've basically given up on the rotoscoping, with hallucinogenic results. i'm suddenly glad i ran out of weed, and i don't often say things like that

the steadily darkening palette is both for atmosphere, and possibly to hide the rapidly deteriorating animation. please remember i am accessing the luxurious remastered version, so i think i'm getting something closer to bakshi's divine vision than ended up being released. in the original version the low-contrast scenes, like this one, were so murky that on screen they just manifested as amoebic blobs of vaguely human and orcish form swimming in a void of darkness

WHAT

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

a completely unanimated human face popping up on my screen right after gollum was almost the end of me

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Those are Rohan forces, who in this are presented as like, werid viking dudes? Lots of blonde nordic boys in tunics coming up.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Saving so many samwise screen caps for future reference

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
At first I thought this was just a hobbit's disembodied head hovering in the air like the baby from Teletubbies.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

as the human army hoots and hollers, the un-rotoscoped guy gallops his horse down the length of the front line and shoots a single random orc

the humans cheer. so, mysteriously, do the orcs. a few orcish archers unenthusiastically loose some arrows in the vague direction of the human army, but are told to stop. maybe this is a traditional battlefield ritual in middle earth, i don't know

i have some good news, the hobbits are alive

an anonymous orc menaces them and is immediately shot dead by an anonymous human rider, who wanders off and leaves the hobbits to escape. hallelujah!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

fauna posted:

i had to go take a walk outside to calm down after that running sequence, i feel like i've had some sort of religious epiphany

honestly as soon as this thread started the mental description of it in my head was "Something Awful thread about the OP having a religious experience liveblogging Bakshi's Lord of the Rings"

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

the un-rotoscoped guy does a horse trick, draws his sword and charges the orcs alone! i think he has a plan

apparently i was wrong

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Maybe that WAS his plan! He’s got them right where he wants them!

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

eventually the other humans charge too. maybe they were meant to charge at the same time as the first guy? oh well, better late than never

they assail an orc army that has deteriorated into a coven of beanbags. by now the rotoscoping has almost vanished, and when things are outlined it only makes them more confusing. it is unclear where the human army has come from, why they're suddenly fighting the orcs, or really what is going on at all. details are left up to the viewers' imagination. all i see are eyeless horses, swords swinging, legs everywhere, and suddenly, just like that, i truly understand that war is hell

it's not all bad though. in the chaos, merry and pippin escape!

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

fleeing from the battleground, merry and pippin enter a forest, they say it's fangorn forest and i'm inclined to believe them. here, they meet a friend

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I love everything about this

Thank you for sharing these timeless moments with us

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

merry and pippin's new friend is trrrrreebeard (the r-rolling in this movie gets ferocious at times). he is a "tree herder" by nation or trade, hates orcs and is shaped like a gigantic radish

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Treebeard all with some Gossamer-from-Looney-Tunes-rear end proportions there

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

aragorn, legolas and gimli are inspecting a hole in the ground when they are approached by a ghostly robed figure wearing a pillowcase over his head. for some reason they assume the stranger to be aruman and prepare to murder him, but he sets their weapons on fire and begins to dance

oh poo poo

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

that's right! gandalf has risen from the dead and he's more unique than ever

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
do coonskin next. I started watching it on youtube and its loving weird yall

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Jackson you hack fraud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrzrOyeo5o8&t=40s

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

perfectly nailing the happy medium between "dangerous man who lives under the bridge" and "beloved neighbourhood rabbi in the early stages of alzheimers", gandalf tells the story of how he and the balrog plunged flaming into the depths of the earth to battle for his mortal soul in hell, before he blew the lid off the underworld and made the long hard trek back to the sunny realm of sobriety. the animation at this point is mostly a cost-effective series of pans over static concept art that is, thankfully, kickass

obviously this is all a metaphor; somebody else can go into that

immediately after gandalf finishes his inspiring story, they're off again! this time they're going to edoras - i am unsure of the spelling, and will not google it - the "city of the riders". trained horses are incredibly expensive, i'm starting to wonder if that was where all poor bakshi's money went (that and the rotoscope labour)

i'm so happy. gandalf is back. he's back with us. bless us all

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If you wanted to see what the concept art for the characters looked like, there's the poster for the movie by Mike Ploog, who I think also did the designs some other goon posted upthread

this kind of art is exactly my poo poo, I want all my fantasy to look like it's being sold in a headshop in the late 70s. I think the original tunic & no pants design for Link in the first Zelda game probably was pretty heavily inspired by Aragorn there

and this is unrelated to Art but I am glad to see someone else also hated Gimli in the jackson movies. I love dwarves and that was some straight bullshit. I'm frankly fine with Samwise getting poo poo on in this one, he always kind of sucked

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

gandalf is very concerned about the relationship between theoden, king of the city of riders, and his friend grima wormtongue

i understand his concerns

gandalf explains that theoden's son was one of the less-rotoscoped men on horseback who attacked the orcs carrying merry and pippin. as he explains this we are reminded of the battle with some oddly familiar vignettes

bakshi please you've already shown me this

BAKSHI

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

we see saruman at isengard with his army, and forgive me but i just don't think he chose the best orcs from those available

the king's creepy friend wormtongue is with saruman, but even that can't cramp his style

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

some prime memeability in some of these

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

gandalf does diplomacy with king theoden, his friend grima, and his intense, silent "sister daughter" eowyn

he wants riders to defend against saruman's orcs at helm's deep, and it goes without saying gandalf always gets what he wants

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

in middle earth they know a king by the beauty of his legs

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin

purple death ray posted:

If you wanted to see what the concept art for the characters looked like, there's the poster for the movie by Mike Ploog, who I think also did the designs some other goon posted upthread

this kind of art is exactly my poo poo, I want all my fantasy to look like it's being sold in a headshop in the late 70s. I think the original tunic & no pants design for Link in the first Zelda game probably was pretty heavily inspired by Aragorn there

and this is unrelated to Art but I am glad to see someone else also hated Gimli in the jackson movies. I love dwarves and that was some straight bullshit. I'm frankly fine with Samwise getting poo poo on in this one, he always kind of sucked

As someone that isn't very familiar with LOTR outside of the Jackson movie. What is wrong with his version of Ghimli?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

PoPcornTG posted:

As someone that isn't very familiar with LOTR outside of the Jackson movie. What is wrong with his version of Ghimli?

He's relegated to comic relief.