Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The ridiculousness of FF7 revealing that everyone who is hyper-capable is mostly that way because of absurd delusions is only surpassed by the depressing truth that in real life it’s the exact same way.

I never figured Tifa was brain tricking the hot girl named Cloud but I’m also not surprised. Everyone fucks with his tiny, malleable brain any chance they get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

And she never really tries to actually talk to him about the absurd inconsistencies in his stories and actions even as it becomes increasingly clear that there is something really worrying going on with him. She’s just happy to have him around and doesn’t want him to disappear by confronting him about how he’s pretty clearly hosed up.

Tifa and Cloud’s relationship is one of the best parts of FF7 imo. They’re both messed up about it and it’s great.

Keep in mind she also thinks she's gone crazy. Since Cloud starts perfectly recalling things like Nibelheim when Tifa was there and as far as she knew he wasn't

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah it rules.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Chillgamesh posted:

Except it's Jenova and not Sephiroth that did that stabbing so the sword is actually part of Jenova's biomass, which they all get absorbed into, so you'd have to fight a screaming mutated amalgam of your four friends who endlessly screech WHY COULDN'T YOU SAVE US CLOUD in discordant chorus

Okay, but who's Black Getter in this scenario?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkc6E47KBNI

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

jokes posted:

Why didn’t Cloud ever like like Tifa? Is it because she didn’t pull brain tricks on him like Aeristh?

They bang before going into the Northern Crater. "There are ways other than words to show someone you like them."

NikkolasKing posted:

And of course this stuff wasn't as exaggerated in older FF games or Xenosaga or other JRPG's I played.

Xenosaga instead had everyone saying "Besides" every other word.

Chillgamesh posted:

Except it's Jenova and not Sephiroth that did that stabbing so the sword is actually part of Jenova's biomass, which they all get absorbed into, so you'd have to fight a screaming mutated amalgam of your four friends who endlessly screech WHY COULDN'T YOU SAVE US CLOUD in discordant chorus

So we're going for the Persona 2 Great Father boss fight.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cloud and Tifa is a better love story than any in FF8 and and 9 with the possible exception of Steiner and Beatrix

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

jokes posted:

Why didn’t Cloud ever like like Tifa? Is it because she didn’t pull brain tricks on him like Aeristh?

he ALWAYS liked Tifa. it's a whole arc of unrequited love where he couldn't live up to what he thought she wanted, and then later on (post Nibelheim) he was a little too cool for it and/or too messed up from his own experiences; like, there's no tacit rejection but his whole involvement with Aeris could be construed that he's trying to move on from his past experiences even though he still has feelings for Tifa, he didn't think he was good enough for her (I think.) like, he friendzoned Tifa but I don't think he really wanted to, he felt like he had to because he felt that she had rejected him earlier (maybe that was all in his mind.) this game is psychologically complex!

The Breakfast Sampler fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 3, 2020

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

MonsieurChoc posted:

They bang before going into the Northern Crater. "There are ways other than words to show someone you like them."

And the rest of the party watches them bang from the Highwind.

There's really few games like FF7, simply because few games are so eager to be that hosed up. The FF7 cast has some serious issues, and Cloud and Tifa in particular had such hosed-up lives that it's a miracle they're as put-together as they are.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Onmi posted:

Keep in mind she also thinks she's gone crazy. Since Cloud starts perfectly recalling things like Nibelheim when Tifa was there and as far as she knew he wasn't

there's also the fact that Tifa did, in fact, see him there briefly, but after she had gotten stabbed and in a context that makes no sense to her based on what she actually knows, so she might be left with this weird feeling of "maybe he was there" without any concrete memories attached to it

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Mega64 posted:

And the rest of the party watches them bang from the Highwind.

There's really few games like FF7, simply because few games are so eager to be that hosed up. The FF7 cast has some serious issues, and Cloud and Tifa in particular had such hosed-up lives that it's a miracle they're as put-together as they are.

And this is why FF7 is one of the best in the series. It commits to how hosed up its leads are.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FF7 is the Disco Elysium of JRPGs.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Squatting to Disco music.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Terper posted:

Cloud and Tifa is a better love story than any in FF8 and and 9 with the possible exception of Steiner and Beatrix

What about the true love story though, Cloud/Aerith?

I think the most notable change in my FFVII fandom is how when I first played FFVII back in 2002 I was a hardcore Tifa fanboy. I never saw Aerith's death coming because she's so clearly the female lead of the game and obviously gonna be the one Cloud ends up with. Everything in the game pushes her as second only to Cloud in importance and their love story gets a ton of focus.

Then she dies. And I was like yay! because Tifa was gonna get Cloud now.

But here in 2020, and for the last several years honestly, I have really come to prefer Aerith. I think she's not only a much more intriguing character, her and Cloud just feel right together.
The Compilation has tried really hard to make Zack a character people care about and to shape him as Aerith's One True Love but she said in the game that he was whatever and I stand by that. Dude got owned by Sephiroth in five seconds off-screen and then killed by two Shinra mooks. You can bet they're changing that in the remake.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well you see Cloud is not a necrophiliac, I don't think.

Cloud and Aerith as a love story is perfectly fine, but like, she dies. That's a whole thing. I'm perfectly fine with Zack and Aerith and Cloud and Aerith and Cloud and Tifa and the lovely thing is that they can all exist and be canon because two of them hit the dirt harder than a meteor and moving on is a whole thing in the story. That's why I think the Golden Saucer date with Aerith and the Shagohod scene with Tifa are both good and can exist simultaneously.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
aeris never actually cared about cloud, that was the problem. she was using him as a stand-in for her old flame, and she knew it, which is why she's clearly uncomfortable if you take her to gongaga and if you bring her on the gondola ride she tries to tell cloud "look, i messed up, i've been playing you from the beginning, is it possible to start over and get to know each other for who we really are?" but she can't spit it out, and cloud is still too damaged to even understand what she's trying to say, so neither of them receive closure before cloud drives her off and she gets killed

both aeris and tifa treat cloud like the person they want him to be, at the expense of who is actually is. but tifa makes up for that mistake by reunifying his persona after the mideel earthquake (though she's still got serious codependency issues that are never resolved), while aeris doesn't take that chance in time

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

I think the most notable change in my FFVII fandom is how when I first played FFVII back in 2002 I was a hardcore Tifa fanboy. I never saw Aerith's death coming because she's so clearly the female lead of the game and obviously gonna be the one Cloud ends up with. Everything in the game pushes her as second only to Cloud in importance and their love story gets a ton of focus.

But here in 2020, and for the last several years honestly, I have really come to prefer Aerith. I think she's not only a much more intriguing character, her and Cloud just feel right together.
The Compilation has tried really hard to make Zack a character people care about and to shape him as Aerith's One True Love but she said in the game that he was whatever and I stand by that. Dude got owned by Sephiroth in five seconds off-screen and then killed by two Shinra mooks. You can bet they're changing that in the remake.

Zack owns

Crisis Core is one of the better spinoffs and the change in Zack's final battle is good.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sefal posted:

Zack owns

Crisis Core is one of the better spinoffs and the change in Zack's final battle is good.

zack getting unceremoniously shot by a couple of shinra grunts who were probably thinking more about their asses falling asleep on the car ride over was a way better fit for the original game's tone, though i was never a fan of crisis core's ending to start with

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

The point of the original story though is that Aeris is in love with the idea of Zack, not Cloud. From the first moment they meet she flirts and talks about how he reminds her of Zack. By the time of the date scene she talks about how, for once, she'd like to meet him, not Zack. The real Cloud. Then after that she assumes a sisterly/motherly figure as she realizes she's both the only one who gets what's going on and the only one who can do something. She dated him and gave him every chance to come out, but he didn't.

After the Gold Saucer date the love story between Aeris and Cloud was essentially over. Ironically, what seals the deal is that she can't reach him, and Tifa is playing along with the delusion.

On a very personal level, my interpretation is that Cloud never really felt any genuine interest for either of them. The endless jokes about Tifa being friendzoned are nothing new, but Cloud takes every chance in every iteration of FF7 (and so far, it seems the same for the remake) to push her away as a love interest. He sells himself as single and available and I get the feeling that he's just imitating what he imagines Zack, the cool free-spirited guy would do when Aeris asks him out. And even the ending where Cloud and Tifa are officially together is conditional.

It always felt to me like Cloud ended up with Tifa the same way the characters in Battlestar Galactica end up as couples: "We're only together because there's no one else".

Also one of my favorite parallels, and I'm not sure how intentional or not it is, is the fact that Johnny stuck close to Tifa, and he was to Tifa like she is to Cloud. But Johnny eventually moved on, and after a rough patch he finds himself a nice place and a nice person. Aeris in a way did the same. Like Mega says, the game fully sells the fact that these are severely hosed up people, so it's a good contrast that Johnny found his happiness as soon as he got rid of the people living in fantasy/delusions/codependency.

If he hadn't done that, friendly reminder, he would be dead.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

aeris never actually cared about cloud, that was the problem. she was using him as a stand-in for her old flame, and she knew it, which is why she's clearly uncomfortable if you take her to gongaga and if you bring her on the gondola ride she tries to tell cloud "look, i messed up, i've been playing you from the beginning, is it possible to start over and get to know each other for who we really are?" but she can't spit it out, and cloud is still too damaged to even understand what she's trying to say, so neither of them receive closure before cloud drives her off and she gets killed

both aeris and tifa treat cloud like the person they want him to be, at the expense of who is actually is. but tifa makes up for that mistake by reunifying his persona after the mideel earthquake (though she's still got serious codependency issues that are never resolved), while aeris doesn't take that chance in time

I feel this is an excessively negative reading of Aerith and what she says on the date. Aerith tells Cloud she's searching for him and wants to meet the real him. If she was ever at any point using Cloud as a substitute for Zack it wasn't a conscious thing and if anything their similarity seems to make her uncomfortable. When she did become aware of all this craziness she turned around and started doing what she could to help Cloud rediscover his true self.

I remember the date better than the Gunaga sequence but I don't think the Gungaga dialogue really helps the case she was overly attached to Zack:
Cloud: Aeris...
Aeris: What a shock... I didn't know Zack was from this town.
Cloud: You know him?
Aeris: Didn't I tell you? He was my first love.
Cloud: ............
Aeris: Zack... SOLDIER First Class. Same as Cloud.
Cloud: Strange, there aren't that many who make First Class, but I've never heard of him.
Aeris: That's all right. It's all in the past now. I was just worried because I heard he's been missing.
Cloud: Missing?
Aeris: I think it was 5 years ago. He went out on a job, and never came back. He loved women, a real lady's man. He probably found someone else... Hey? What's wrong?

Cloud
- Poor guy
- (...jealous... envious...)

Poor guy

Aeris: I don't really mind that I haven't heard from him. But I feel for his parents.

(...jealous... envious...)

Aeris: Are you... jealous? Hmm? Hmmm? Are you, Cloud?

He turns away.

Aeris: I'm kidding. I'm sorry.

Aeris: Let's go, Clou

Man now I wanna replay FFVII.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 3, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I feel this is an excessively negative reading of Aerith

it isn't. she makes the comparison to zack right off and is using cloud both as a stand-in for him and a quick way to escape from the turks. she finds out very quickly that the situation is more serious than she initially treated it, but their relationship is built on a false foundation and while she feels like poo poo about it she can't bring herself to address that initial deception

cloud in turn is still obsessed with her even after she dies, which is even worse. fuckin cid and shera probably have a healthier relationship at the end of FF7 than anyone in the cloud/tifa/aeris hell-triangle

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Elentor posted:

On a very personal level, my interpretation is that Cloud never really felt any genuine interest for either of them.
My interpretation is that the game would never have happened if Cloud didn't like Tifa (when they were children) because the biggest secret reason he has for wanting to become a SOLDIER is to impress her. You say he "friendzones" her because he's imitating Zack, the lady's man, I say he's subconsciously avoiding her because he's still afraid she would find out he's a fraud. Then Tifa mends both their pain through her Bizarre Adventure into his brain and they marry and have a million billion children together.

Thankfully, FF7 is a good video game and has many personal interpretations for everyone that are all cool and valid

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I never posted that on my LP because it's a very personal and fairly cynical interpretation. But I agree that the fact that such extremely complicated relationships between really stressed out people being hard to read and open to interpretation is a good thing.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Wow are we gonna scratch our heads when Cloud professes his undying and eternal love for Yuffie in an unavoidable scene at the end of FF7R.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Terper posted:

Wow are we gonna scratch our heads when Cloud professes his undying and eternal love for Barrett in an unavoidable scene at the end of FF7R.

FTFY

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think this is all just a testament of how an unusually well written game FFVII is. Like yeah, it’s silly and weird and suffers from some translation issues, but its core is really something special.

It makes me wonder where Sakaguchi and Kitase’s heads were at when writing it. Probably lots of The Thing, Akira, and Twin Peaks.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

HD DAD posted:

I think this is all just a testament of how an unusually well written game FFVII is. Like yeah, it’s silly and weird and suffers from some translation issues, but its core is really something special.

It makes me wonder where Sakaguchi and Kitase’s heads were at when writing it. Probably lots of The Thing, Akira, and Twin Peaks.

Remember that Parasite Eve split from VII in development

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

HD DAD posted:

Xenogears was originally gonna be FFVII.

It explains a lot, including why Cloud is pretty unique for the FF franchise. He's more like Fei than Cecil or whoever.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

HD DAD posted:

Lack of sleep and coffee.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOiPU7cmLn0&t=2282s

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Xenogears was originally gonna be FFVII.

It explains a lot, including why Cloud is pretty unique for the FF franchise. He's more like Fei than Cecil or whoever.

Square had a thing with aliens crashing into planets and loving people up ala Chrono Trigger, FFVII and Xenogears.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That was also the plot of FFs before.

It was a very common theme in Japanese media in the 80's.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The worst thing about FF7 is that people liked it so much. It’s like all the depictions of Cloud since FF7 are based on a really long game of telephone about the character.

Anyways, hype for FF7R is making me think about replaying FF7. Especially so I can remember how the characters originally were.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m just happy that they seem to be mostly nailing the original characterizations in FFVIIR, rather than what they became during the compilation nonsense.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

MonsieurChoc posted:

They bang before going into the Northern Crater.

Had to enter the Southern Crater before the Northern Crater :quagmire:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Elentor posted:

Also one of my favorite parallels, and I'm not sure how intentional or not it is, is the fact that Johnny stuck close to Tifa, and he was to Tifa like she is to Cloud. But Johnny eventually moved on, and after a rough patch he finds himself a nice place and a nice person. Aeris in a way did the same. Like Mega says, the game fully sells the fact that these are severely hosed up people, so it's a good contrast that Johnny found his happiness as soon as he got rid of the people living in fantasy/delusions/codependency.

If he hadn't done that, friendly reminder, he would be dead.

Is it bad I don't remember Johnny?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elentor posted:

FF7 is the Disco Elysium of JRPGs.

I wouldn't doubt that FF7 had a lot of influence on the developers of DE.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also I just now noticed that Tifa's new design has thigh-high socks that she didn't have in the original, and this bothers me for reasons I can't quite explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A thought occurs to me:

We talk a lot about unrealistic ages in JRPGs. Celes being a general and everything while she's eighteen or some crazy poo poo to give one quick example. FFVII tends to get some praise for featuring a main cast of people in their early 20s. Cloud for instance is 21.

And that's when it dawned on me. I was thinking about Cloud's lame reaction to Yuffie kissing him and I likened it to how I would have reacted when I was a teenager. Cloud is not technically a teenager but he has spent the last five years of his life in a tube. Even if his mind wasn't held together by flimsy tape, he is still only sixteen emotionally/psychologically speaking.