Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

He's reduced from a character to comic relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mentally challenged Sam is an acceptable exchange for reasonable Gimli.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

WHY THEY ALWAYS GOTTA CUT OUT BOMBADIL AND GOLDBERRY HUH HUH TELL ME HUH

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

back in the marshes of mordor with the hobbits, loving sam has fallen asleep on duty and let gollum slip away. he becomes extremely agitated (during the following sequence of images he is talking only to himself)

as he's breaking the news to frodo, sam becomes so distraught he begins to eat his own cloak

but then, thank the lord, gollum returns of his own accord... with a gift!

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

things go from bad to worse; the wraiths in mordor ride pterodactyls

frodo and gollum continue to bond

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

gollum contemplates frodo and is seized with anguish

sam awakes at the exact wrong moment and things get awkward

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

our heroes stand watch on the walls of helm's deep. the tunics are short, the thighs are bulging, the rotoscoping at this point is deployed strategically to high-priority zones

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

this hot mess comes streaming down the hill toward the castle. the orcs send their wolves ahead of them, but the shots of the wolves appear to be taking place somewhere completely different

a lot of this goes on, then the orcs climb the walls. the majority of them are wearing grey dressing gowns; i'm assuming this is traditional orcish battle gear and the outfits we saw in moria were just their casual wear

by now the only rotoscoping going on is the gentle falling of the animators' tears upon the raw film footage

fauna fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 3, 2020

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I always thought some of the film used for rotoscoping in this movie was stock footage, not sure if that’s the case though

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

as the carnage continues, the background goes full lava lamp

aragorn just slaughtered a whole squad of orcs while cackling maniacally (!)

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

oh gently caress what now

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

holy hot drat it's fire out of isengard

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

the walls are breached and everybody runs around some more

this goes on for a surprisingly long time

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
This movie explains the Warhammer night goblin outfit.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

back in the depths of mordor, gollum ruins yet another moment

frodo is clearly dying, and i'm worried about him because by my clock he's only got like eight minutes to get the ring into mount doom before the movie ends. sam on the other hand is not behaving in a particularly supportive manner

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

I love my non-rotoscoped son

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

with a mosquito-esque bleat of really annoying trumpets, pantsless king theoden and aragorn and some other guys go out on a final kamikaze charge against the orcs

they are cornered, and wait stoic and proud-legged for their deaths

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

but then!

yes

YES

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

fauna posted:

they are cornered, and wait stoic and proud-legged for their deaths

proudFEET!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You can really tell they started from the left and slowly stopped giving a poo poo by the time they hit the right side of the image

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

gandalf's only got like five people with him but the whole orc army instantly scatters lmao

GO YOU GOOD THING

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
bakshi sam looks like a babushka hag

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

as gandalf twirls his horse and throws his sword triumphantly up in the air (???) a bored englishman informs us that "the forces of darkness were driven forever from the face of middle earth by the valiant friends of frodo. as their gallant battle ended, so too ends the first great tale of... the lord of the rings"

wait what

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What the gently caress is that horse's face

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

wait!

wait

but

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

BAKSHI!!!

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

thus concludes our magical journey. thank you everybody for sharing it with me. i have just as many questions as you do

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Do you plan on going through Return of the King by someone who is pretty obviously not Ralph Bakshi?

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
A masterpiece. Bravo. I still hum the orc marching song sometimes when I treadmill.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
now do Soviet Hobbit

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
treebeard is the druid from Asterix

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

free hubcaps posted:

I always thought some of the film used for rotoscoping in this movie was stock footage, not sure if that’s the case though

I have some pictures somewhere, maybe in that gallery I posted, of a bunch of dorks all dressed up "attacking" a castle to get footage for the helms deep battle, they def. filmed a lot of it, if not all.

Here's a shot of helms deep as Gandalf describes it. It's a shame we didn't get this weird underworld magic tower stuff and just got the Basic Castle shots.

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!

me, irl

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

purple death ray posted:

this kind of art is exactly my poo poo, I want all my fantasy to look like it's being sold in a headshop in the late 70s. I think the original tunic & no pants design for Link in the first Zelda game probably was pretty heavily inspired by Aragorn there

honestly a lot of 80s fantasy art from Japan make a lot more sense to me now

also, I missed a lot of the thread the first time around but I gotta join in on the love for Aragorn's design here. Viggo was fine but he just looks like a movie star. Bakshi's Aragorn is a beautiful brutal hard living barbarian motherfucker.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
my favorite was when he popped sam in the mouth for calling him strider

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

There's a line in this movie where Frodo threatens to put the ring on and order Gollum to jump off a cliff. It's a small but important thing that was missing from Jackson's films because it shows the ring does give normal people power to dominate others.