Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

How to make time stop:

On a related note, Telemark Pyrenees is an amazing site. I ordered these skis like 4 days ago, with bindings, which they mounted and sized for my boots and had it dispatched within hours. $43 shipping to Colorado. Ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

On the subject of Descente, this is the fart bag version of the ski team jacket I had in elementary school, spotted today at Alpine Meadows

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
That's an amazing color scheme. I can't figure out whether he's wearing it ironically or not.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

More good skiing today. Super socked in so more as many pics but here are some:

From yesterday:

Sledding through some slide debris, looks like I know what I am doing

https://youtu.be/lP_4rAE3Xt0

Little shifty drop from yesterday

https://youtu.be/Qln8KI7X6P8

"Sending" it. It always looks so much bigger when you are above it and have no idea what it is going to feel like on the landing...

https://youtu.be/Xi1odBP4Atg

Bonus pic that my girlfriend did in colored pencil yesterday

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

spwrozek posted:

"Sending" it. It always looks so much bigger when you are above it and have no idea what it is going to feel like on the landing...

Ok Jerry

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

highme posted:

Ok Jerry

Haha, for sure

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

spwrozek posted:

More good skiing today. Super socked in so more as many pics but here are some:

From yesterday:

Sledding through some slide debris, looks like I know what I am doing

https://youtu.be/lP_4rAE3Xt0

Little shifty drop from yesterday

https://youtu.be/Qln8KI7X6P8

https://youtu.be/Xi1odBP4Atg

Bonus pic that my girlfriend did in colored pencil yesterday

Gorgeous!

Be careful out there. Not sure where in BC you are (I could scroll back I guess but :effort: ) but a system is blowing in and backcountry avalanche risk for the Purcells is heading way way up

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

New ski day!

https://i.imgur.com/rXAfeui.jpg

Excited to take these guys out tomorrow! My first set of skis after a year+ of rentals. Huge props to Telemark Pyrenees. France-based but somehow cheaper than anywhere in the US even including shipping and it was under 5 days from order to delivery, overseas shipping and all. They even mounted and adjusted the bindings for my specific boots. Instantly made me a customer for life.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bilirubin posted:

Gorgeous!

Be careful out there. Not sure where in BC you are (I could scroll back I guess but :effort: ) but a system is blowing in and backcountry avalanche risk for the Purcells is heading way way up

We are in the south Columbia zone near kaslo. We spent about 2 hours last night going in circles about what to do today. It didn't really snow yet in town. We skied a couple 33-37 degree slopes the past few days after seeing good stability. It is our last day up there today do we decided on a zone with mellow trees, there are a few other options depending on how much it snowed up high though. We are going out with one of the avalanche forecaster that works for a gold mine up in Terrace, BC.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Tripped wrapped up nicely. There is going to be some serious avalanches with all the snow. Few pics:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Happy New Year, Ski Thread.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

On the subject of gently caress Vail: I'd heard earlier in the season that Northstar was going to start charging for parking this year, $10 midweek and $20 on weekends. Bummer for Northstar skiers, but what I didn't realize or think about is that they announced that change after tons of people had bought season passes with no refund available.

https://www.theunion.com/news/northstar-regulars-file-lawsuit-against-vail-resorts-over-paid-parking/

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

spwrozek posted:

Tripped wrapped up nicely. There is going to be some serious avalanches with all the snow. Few pics:

eww that last photo

Glad you had a good, fun, and safe trip!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

spwrozek posted:

So much snow. Looks like a great trip. We haven't had any fresh in the past week and it's been a bit warm.

I am in the process of getting a new touring setup, my existing gear is great uphill but is too lightweight to have much fun on the downhill. So far picked up some new boots

https://www.fischersports.com/ranger-free-130-walk-dyn-46?c=157

and I've been trying out some Black Crows Camox Freebirds which seem fantastic - though any opinions on alternative do-it-all touring skis would be welcome. Will probably pair them with some of the Shift bindings.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
We're finally getting snow, just in time for the holiday crowds to disappear. All the people who spent thousands of dollars to enjoy their skiing holiday over Christmas here wasted their money, but at least January isn't looking quite so grim.

We had to cancel multiple days of our Christmas ski camp because the ruts were getting under the base and into the rocks and trees.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Those skis seen all the rage right now. I tired with a guy who was on them Tuesday. Seemed like he really liked them.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Got out skiing for the first time this season at Heavenly and did 4 days. This season I got my own skis (K2 Mindbender) and boots (Salomon S/Max), while my fiancée rented skis and boots for the season. We both took whole-day lessons on basically 4 hours sleep (since we got up at 5am anticipating heavy traffic from Sacramento that ... never materialized). I got a really rad female instructor in her 50's who's one of the top 100 instructors in the US, who took us to ski trees which I had always feared. Basically the rest of the time I just skied trees since the steeper blue runs are all ungroomed and full of bumps and the black diamonds lacked a lot of snow coverage.

Both my partner and I had really lovely time with our feet going numb, and we ended up getting her a pair of custom-fitted Nordica boots from the bootfitters in South Lake Tahoe. She ended up going back 3 times for adjustments since each time we thought we had it dialed in, we got to the mountain and she couldn't feel her feet after we got up the first lift. Thankfully if you get boots at the custom boot place, they do free adjustments over the lifetime of the boot. Mine are breaking in, so each day feels a bit better, but still very irritating.

All that aside I had a great time, and going with an instructor gave me the confidence to go in the double-black "Experts only enter only through the gates" of Mott Canyon.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

luminalflux posted:

Both my partner and I had really lovely time with our feet going numb, and we ended up getting her a pair of custom-fitted Nordica boots from the bootfitters in South Lake Tahoe. She ended up going back 3 times for adjustments since each time we thought we had it dialed in, we got to the mountain and she couldn't feel her feet after we got up the first lift. Thankfully if you get boots at the custom boot place, they do free adjustments over the lifetime of the boot. Mine are breaking in, so each day feels a bit better, but still very irritating.

They should get a bit better - but if you weren't already doing this, you may have a better time loosening the boots when you're not actively skiing downhill. Particularly if you have odd-shaped feet. I have some race boots which tend to have thinner liners and my feet go to sleep pretty quickly if I don't remember to undo the second buckle on chairlifts.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ok, just read the OP but didn't see anything about buying skis.

Skiied for a couple years in Ohio (lol), then when I moved to Sac and had access to Tahoe, I switched to snowboarding. Snowboarded for 10 years or so and got pretty good at it. Was doing black diamonds with relative ease in year 2, going up every Sunday. Then I had kids. The first couple years I managed to get up to the mountain 1-2 times a year, and only going that often, I felt like I needed a couple days to get the feel of my board edges again to feel comfortable with my turns. I regressed super quickly and it became frustrating to go up with friends who ski way better than I now boarded. I felt like every time I went up I was in the "get comfortable with my edges and re-learning what I lost from last year" phase.

The past couple years when I can make it up (once, maybe twice a year if I'm lucky), I've exclusively skiied since it was easier to me (I'm a hockey player, so using and turning on skis is pretty easy to me) and it only takes me 1-2 runs to get comfortable on my edges after a year off, but I've been renting every time. I went up to Sugarbowl with my son yesterday and had a blast, but it made me want to buy skis, even though I'm only up once or twice a year now so I don't have to pay the rental fee for subpar equipment every time. Should I find a local shop to get fitted, or just buy online? What should I look to spend for something that I may use 1-2 times a year?

e: bonus pic of Sugarbowl peak yesterday afternoon

TLDR: I only ski 1-2 times a year but am sick of renting. Would it be sufficient to just go to evo.com and grab some all mountain skis 160-163cm (5'9", 175lbs) and some bindings/boots to dick around with my kids? Or should I buy local so I can try it all on first?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

They should get a bit better - but if you weren't already doing this, you may have a better time loosening the boots when you're not actively skiing downhill. Particularly if you have odd-shaped feet. I have some race boots which tend to have thinner liners and my feet go to sleep pretty quickly if I don't remember to undo the second buckle on chairlifts.

Yeah I was doing this on every lift ride. They’re getting better and at the end of day 4 I spent a few cycles of ski-lift-ski forgetting to unbuckle since my feet weren’t reminding me.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Evo will be fine for skis and bindings. You should buy boots in person.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Not much of the goods open at CB yet. Very bony. Still fun.

Thinking about taking a tune-up lesson tomorrow. I have the steep bumps shanks.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Evo will be fine for skis and bindings. You should buy boots in person.

Yeah that makes sense, thanks!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Any word on best conditions in Austria right now? Going to be there in a week and currently have Gastein, Kühtai, and St Anton as our stops but still flexible if there are options w better snow.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Planning to buy some new smartwool long johns and trying to decide if I want 200 or 250 weight? Anybody have any opinions? I mostly will be riding in above 20 degree conditions in the PNW.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

HookShot posted:

We're finally getting snow, just in time for the holiday crowds to disappear. All the people who spent thousands of dollars to enjoy their skiing holiday over Christmas here wasted their money, but at least January isn't looking quite so grim.

We had to cancel multiple days of our Christmas ski camp because the ruts were getting under the base and into the rocks and trees.
We didn't have much open at Christmas but we ran the kid's Christmas race camp which of course pissed off the non-racers since they had to share the slopes with the whole race team. Also we have Super G camp coming up not this weekend but the next. The kids are super stoked about that.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 3, 2020

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

HookShot posted:

LOL it's now supposed to snow 23cm, except the freezing level is basically at the lodges. So it's going to rain the equivalent of 23cm.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

We didn't have much open at Christmas but we ran the kid's Christmas race camp which of course pissed off the non-racers since they had to share the slopes with the whole race team.

Yeah, a bunch of people were mad that we got half of a run to stick like 15 stubbies in over Christmas.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HookShot posted:

LOL it's now supposed to snow 23cm, except the freezing level is basically at the lodges. So it's going to rain the equivalent of 23cm.

You need to move to interior BC. There is nothing really keeping you in Whistler if I recall.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say...
I left Whistler yesterday and it was like 8 degrees and raining in Creekside. What a dumpsterfire of a year

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I feel as this is my fault as I decided to go to Whistler this year. Hopefully things will be better in 3 weeks?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I feel as this is my fault as I decided to go to Whistler this year. Hopefully things will be better in 3 weeks?

There's no base, mang

If it starts nuking today, it'll be okay. Or like, two good storms

But snowshowing in Callaghan Valley was nice

Or this

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

You need to move to interior BC. There is nothing really keeping you in Whistler if I recall.

I actually really like Whistler as a town, and in good years the skiing is awesome. I whine about Vail and a lot of other things, but the reality is I'm happier here than anywhere else I've lived, and I haven't yet visited somewhere that makes me think I'd be as happy as I am here.

We've considered moving elsewhere, and Rossland came kind of close to happening, but in the end Whistler ticks literally every box we have (apart from the affordable housing box lol, but hopefully in the next year or so we'll be buying a small place). After this year, when I'm not racing anymore, we're going to do random trips to the interior when they're getting powder dumps, too.

This is just a total trainwreck of a year, weather-wise, which happens. There were worse years according to people who have lived here longer than me. Apparently 2005 (or something along those lines) was even worse than this.

ante posted:

But snowshowing in Callaghan Valley was nice

I hope you had fun, you may have seen my mom around there, she came over for a few days and went cross-country skiing, apparently it's super nice up there right now.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

MMD3 posted:

Planning to buy some new smartwool long johns and trying to decide if I want 200 or 250 weight? Anybody have any opinions? I mostly will be riding in above 20 degree conditions in the PNW.

I’d say 200 if your pants are insulated. 250 if they’re not, especially if your pants have ventilation zippers so you can still wear them on 40-45 degree days and not overheat.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Wait, you wear a lower baselayer on 40+ degree days?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I don't even wear a jacket if it is 40+

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I'm looking at buying my first set of skis, could use a sanity check/suggestions. I'm an advanced/expert boarder but this will be my first season on skis more than a couple days a year. Yes I'm buying skis at peak season and yes I am an idiot. I can sort of manage my way down blues at current skill level but it isn't always pretty.

I'm 6' tall and weigh ~180lbs, and I ride Sunshine/Norquay/Lake Louise probably 40-50 days a season. I think the standard advice is just get a set of cheapos off of craigslist or whatever but I'm very much afraid I'll be wanting to replace them halfway through the season and pickings seem slim.

4FRNT has some display leftover MSP107s in size 175 that I can pick up for $530 CAD, and I can get a set of Marker Griffon 13 IDs for another $220 which gets me out the door at $750. Seems like a lot for a beginner setup but also seems like I wouldn't outgrow it any time soon and from what I've read those skis should be great for where I spend my time. Is that insane and I should just be patient or buy some $100 crappers from a consignment store?

On a related note does anyone have a boot fitter they recommend in Canmore? I've heard good things about Brad at Outside Ski & Bike and they have a 1 year fit guarantee.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 3, 2020

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
In the 30s and 40s, I'm skiing in a t-shirt and my jacket.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Depends on if it’s sunny out. Which usually is the difference between skiing out west and east.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

I'm looking at buying my first set of skis, could use a sanity check/suggestions. I'm an advanced/expert boarder but this will be my first season on skis more than a couple days a year. Yes I'm buying skis at peak season and yes I am an idiot. I can sort of manage my way down blues at current skill level but it isn't always pretty.

I'm 6' tall and weigh ~180lbs, and I ride Sunshine/Norquay/Lake Louise probably 40-50 days a season. I think the standard advice is just get a set of cheapos off of craigslist or whatever but I'm very much afraid I'll be wanting to replace them halfway through the season and pickings seem slim.

4FRNT has some display leftover MSP107s in size 175 that I can pick up for $530 CAD, and I can get a set of Marker Griffon 13 IDs for another $220 which gets me out the door at $750. Seems like a lot for a beginner setup but also seems like I wouldn't outgrow it any time soon and from what I've read those skis should be great for where I spend my time. Is that insane and I should just be patient or buy some $100 crappers from a consignment store?

On a related note does anyone have a boot fitter they recommend in Canmore? I've heard good things about Brad at Outside Ski & Bike and they have a 1 year fit guarantee.

Probably not what you want to hear but I'd get nice boots and rent piste skis until you can do it a bit better, and make a better decision about what you want. If you want to buy straight away can you rent some of those 4FRNTs and see how you get on?

Are you interested in backcountry / touring? Different setup needed.

Also get lessons at this point and avoid being a hacker in future.