Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Thanks friends, I think I'll check out mob psycho 100 this weekend!

egg tats posted:

[*]Like everything in my list is action... I watch a lot of action anime and literally none of this might appeal to you! what are your favorite western shows? there's probably anime like that!

Animated? Because Batman the Animated Series, but I was told Big O might be similar?

But I also liked Death Note, something about the mystery aspect that I really enjoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stormgale posted:

https://twitter.com/FreyjaErlings/status/1213114933203873792

Also this is what's crawling out of the woodwork in response to this video so, that's a yikes from me.
lmao, this person is getting harassment in their replies literally just for saying 'im not gonna watch the video and im gonna ignore the discourse about it'

love to Protect Trans People by harassing the trans people who dare vaguely imply they have a distaste for contrapoints

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For animechat, just wanted to mention that Mushi-shi is a very good time. It's almost a mellow sort of series, it's about a wanderer investigating various Japanese spirit-critters and each episode is somewhere between a ghost story and a BBC nature documentary. Funimation has the whole first season on YouTube.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
At this point if people tell me "oh, you can't really judge X if you haven't watched their whole hour+ long video" then I assume X is really not worth my time.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Endorph posted:

lmao, this person is getting harassment in their replies literally just for saying 'im not gonna watch the video and im gonna ignore the discourse about it'

love to Protect Trans People by harassing the trans people who dare vaguely imply they have a distaste for contrapoints

Yep, this has been her for the past like 18 hours?

It's why I'm not exactly happy about anyone trying to defend contra right now when her video has caused harm.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

PenguinKnight posted:

the alt-right seems to really like touhou. It’s absolutely frustrating!

touhou creator ZUN literally wrote a book making fun of far-right xenophobic news media, named it after a white house press conference that got endlessly mocked, and attributed a trump speech to a character to make them look like an absolute buffoon, how can you be a nazi and touhou fan and not realise the franchise endlessly mocks you lmao

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Animated? Because Batman the Animated Series, but I was told Big O might be similar?

But I also liked Death Note, something about the mystery aspect that I really enjoyed.

Big O is very good and one of my favorite mecha series! I am, however, biased because some of the staff (notably the writer/director) that worked on it also worked on some of my other favorites, including the previously recommended Gatchaman crowds and one of my all time favorite series, Mononoke - a series of really beautifully animated vignettes that more often than not tend to tackle some pretty dark/heavy themes and subjects. I'd highly recommend checking out its pilot, which came out in the series "Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales" as episodes 9, 10 and 11 if that kind of thing at all interests you.

But in a more batman-ey vibe; "Ergo Proxy" is a sci-fi series involving a murder mystery starring androids, and "The Skull Man" is a mystery plot following a journalist trying to get to the root of a story involving a mysterious pharmaceutical company, weird monsters, and a dangerous vigilante suddenly showing up in his home town.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

touhou creator ZUN literally wrote a book making fun of far-right xenophobic news media, named it after a white house press conference that got endlessly mocked, and attributed a trump speech to a character to make them look like an absolute buffoon, how can you be a nazi and touhou fan and not realise the franchise endlessly mocks you lmao
people miss the point of stuff all the time tbh. obviously fiction (and youtube videos, or w/e) can change people's viewpoints but you have to go in with that viewpoint actually being able to be challenged. if you're super alt-righty and see that stuff in touhou you just subconsciously ignore it because you're Right and it's a thing you like

ofc the bigger reality is a lot of these people aren't actually into touhou enough to see that stuff, but still

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Nuebot posted:

Big O is very good and one of my favorite mecha series! I am, however, biased because some of the staff (notably the writer/director) that worked on it also worked on some of my other favorites, including the previously recommended Gatchaman crowds and one of my all time favorite series, Mononoke - a series of really beautifully animated vignettes that more often than not tend to tackle some pretty dark/heavy themes and subjects. I'd highly recommend checking out its pilot, which came out in the series "Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales" as episodes 9, 10 and 11 if that kind of thing at all interests you.

But in a more batman-ey vibe; "Ergo Proxy" is a sci-fi series involving a murder mystery starring androids, and "The Skull Man" is a mystery plot following a journalist trying to get to the root of a story involving a mysterious pharmaceutical company, weird monsters, and a dangerous vigilante suddenly showing up in his home town.

Will second Mononoke, it’s probably my second favorite anime. I can also second Mushishi.

Gintama is very very long but it’s also a parody of... everything that can reach some surprising depths with its character drama later on.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

The same way people will take images from starship troopers (the they are afraid one), removing it from satirical context and unironically using it on Fascist message boards. People will be incredibly willfully ignorant.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

i thought ergo proxy had a really strong start but then it went into what felt like nothing but filler and then had a wet fart of an ending

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

the gundam fandom is very mysterious

i don't think you can actually make the bad guys obviously evil/dumb enough to where neo-nazi types won't go "cool i'm ALL about this"

Stormgale posted:

https://twitter.com/FreyjaErlings/status/1213114933203873792

Also this is what's crawling out of the woodwork in response to this video so, that's a yikes from me.

yow @ all the people furiously telling her to watch the video b/c the thing she's describing didn't happen (it did happen)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

But in a more batman-ey vibe; "Ergo Proxy" is a sci-fi series involving a murder mystery starring androids,

Ergo Proxy goes some really wild places (in mostly a good way) but I absolutely love the female protagonist. Real is pretty much the complete opposite of the popular stereotype of an anime heroine. She's confident, a complete badass, not terribly sexualized and flawed in such a human way.

Edit:

0 rows returned posted:

i thought ergo proxy had a really strong start but then it went into what felt like nothing but filler and then had a wet fart of an ending

This is also quite true. The show is more about character studies than the bigger plot. To be fair, much of Big O's first season is the same.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks friends, I think I'll check out mob psycho 100 this weekend!

JoJo is a good bet for 'campy, ridiculously heightened battles of wits' (don't let that episode count intimidate you, it's actually a series of somewhat interlinked stories rather than one single narrative), and if the idea of Death Note as a rom-com tickles your fancy, Kaguya Wants To Be Confessed To is good silly fun. If you want a weird, dark police procedural, Psycho-Pass is a good shout (go for the 'special edition' with double-length episodes and improved animation and ignore the sequels).

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

At this point if people tell me "oh, you can't really judge X if you haven't watched their whole hour+ long video" then I assume X is really not worth my time.
Yesterday my sister (still a big contra fan) tried to provide me timestamps for the "important parts" / responses to some of the tweets I shared with her that I found in this thread. I still refuse to look because that's cherrypicking information and theoretically I should be watching the whole video for context (which I won't do because contra's not worth a full length movie of my time), and if those were the important bits anyway, then why did the video need to be 107 minutes long in the first place? I was told "I thought you were better than that" and she hasn't spoken to me since.

That's my contra story. It's not great.

E. Anime chat: Fist of the North Star is still a fun watch if you play it at 1.5-2x speed.

MelvinBison fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 3, 2020

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

MelvinBison posted:

Yesterday my sister (still a big contra fan) tried to provide me timestamps for the "important parts" / responses to some of the tweets I shared with her that I found in this thread. I still refuse to look because that's cherrypicking information and theoretically I should be watching the whole video for context (because she's not worth a full length movie of my time), and if those were the important bits anyway, then why did the video need to be 107 minutes long in the first place? I was told "I thought were better than that" and she hasn't spoken to me since.

That's my contra story. It's not great.

Parasocial relationships seem real bad, maybe. Sorry you're going through that.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

To shitpost maybe a tiny bit less, i just wanna say I also really enjoyed Calico Heart's video on Blazing Saddles. Putting it into the greater context of American tv/movie culture regarding cowboys was especially helpful for me as a non-American.

The wobbly distortion footage started to get a bit hard on my eyes though when it just kept going for several minutes. The algorithm being an uncaring hellbeast I'm not sure if there's better solutions when you already edited your video and you only get told after the fact that your footage ain't okay.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

There's people demanding that Kat Blaque and Mia Mulder denounce ContraPoints, despite them not being involved. It's a real bad look for those doing it.

I've only watched the first half-hour of the new video, and a lot of what's been said about essentialism, exageration, and associativeness seems to be spot on. The news story of that Instagram guy seemed really strange to me when it happened.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Keep in mind, none of this actually matters, not giving a poo poo is always possible.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

0 rows returned posted:

This is like the opposite of true. It starts of being really boring and pretentious, and then very abruptly becomes an actually good show at exactly the halfway mark. Like just suddenly the main cast starts actually acting like people who actually been around each other non-stop for weeks on end, and the show starts being about the themes it had previously been telling you it was about without actually exploring.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Did Adult Swim air Big O in a weird way? Because I remember liking it, but I also felt like every time I watched an episode I was in the middle of a story arc that had like 7 episodes of set up (and I watched frequently enough to know that couldn’t always be the case).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bug Squash posted:

I think it's fine to associate with a character in anime, and it's fine to have a twitter picture that isn't your real face.

Having an anime avatar in 2020 is drinking from a poisoned well, though. I wouldn't recommend it.

The problem is that people include picrew avatars from that one really popular generator in that and there's a reason the thing is popular

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dirksteadfast posted:

Did Adult Swim air Big O in a weird way? Because I remember liking it, but I also felt like every time I watched an episode I was in the middle of a story arc that had like 7 episodes of set up (and I watched frequently enough to know that couldn’t always be the case).
No that's just kind of how the show is written. There's a lot of backstory and established relationships that don't really get explained explicitly.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

dirksteadfast posted:

i think the show's writers just sought to confuse the audience

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bug Squash posted:

There's people demanding that Kat Blaque and Mia Mulder denounce ContraPoints, despite them not being involved. It's a real bad look for those doing it.

I've only watched the first half-hour of the new video, and a lot of what's been said about essentialism, exageration, and associativeness seems to be spot on. The news story of that Instagram guy seemed really strange to me when it happened.

The internet or celebrity culture or whatever turns people into objects of scorn or adoration in a way that dehumanizes them to their “fans” and renders them objects that become the site for working out strong emotions better left to a psychiatrist or a social worker. It seems horrible and would honestly make me insane after five minutes.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The problem is that people include picrew avatars from that one really popular generator in that and there's a reason the thing is popular

I mean there’s a reason for many bad things being popular

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The internet or celebrity culture or whatever turns people into objects of scorn or adoration in a way that dehumanizes them to their fans and renders them objects that become the site for working out strong emotions better left to a psychiatrist or a social worker. It seems horrible and would honestly make me insane after five minutes.

Parasocial relationships, especially on Twitter, are hosed both ways. I'm kinda soured on Contra but it's basically rule of thumb that if (when) you slip up, you're gonna both have people making unreasonable demands of you AND people giving you complete and total reassurance that you could do no wrong.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

GulagDolls posted:

jenny's been suffused with abuse from people calling her racist for saying she was disappointed with john boyega for making what she perceived to be a misogynist joke. she made a post about it on her tumblr and then deleted it. regardless of your view on what boyega said, that reading is prett yfucking wild

Yeah to save people the time of looking up wtf happened, Jenny retweeted someone critical of Boyega’s statement (“it’s not about who she kisses but who eventually lays the pipe”), and people popped off about her being racist for a couple tenuous reasons:

1. “‘Laying pipe’ is AAVE and Jenny’s a white girl clutching pearls at non-white language” (is it AAVE? I thought it was just a generic frat bro term).

2. “Jenny’s a Reylo that’s being critical of an inter-racial relationship”. Their evidence of this is that she did a video on the Reylo romance novel (ignoring that she skipped over all the smutty parts and was clearly discomforted by them) or that she made Reylo her bingo sheet’s free space (obviously a joke).

3. She talks about killing Poe in one of her videos or something and Oscar Isaac is Guatemalan.

Nobody really mentions how Boyega’s statements aren’t misogynistic, either. They either downplay it or just ignore it, even though it’s the entire reason this happened.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 3, 2020

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
At this point contra has too many cis asskissing stans to ever reconsider her stance, they'll support her even as she throws members of her own community under a bus just to try to win acceptance from deeply fickle people

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Being a popular Youtuber is basically starting a cult where you somehow are the one being lovebombed.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

dirksteadfast posted:

That might just be Big O. IIRC, it was originally supposed to be 26 episodes long, but then it got slashed to 13. Then AS funded season 2, with a plan for 26 more episodes...which then got cut down to 13. Again.

The short of it is that season 1 is more episodic, monster of the week with brief swerves into lore episodes and feels a bit abbreviated. Then season 2 is this strange mix of ideas probably originally meant for season 1 that were cut and an inverted ratio of standalone episodes to lore episodes. So if you walked in as season 2 was airing again, that could be the culprit right there.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Dias posted:

Being a popular Youtuber is basically starting a cult where you somehow are the one being lovebombed.

It is genuinely cultish; mention any sort of criticism, no matter how minor or mild and her sycophantic melts throw themselves at you in a desperate attempt to you

No humanity in they eyes

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Don't worry, Trump just declared war with Iran. Soon none of this will matter.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Also there was some level of calculation on timing that video right when Magfest was about to start, and thus there being way, way less online programing so there would be a guarantee of way more eyes on that video.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Don't worry, Trump just declared war with Iran. Soon none of this will matter.

It's a hosed up indictment of the world we live in, where I hope this is a joke but genuinely cannot tell if it is or not.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just wish anime would stop having 80% of all scenes include grunts or internal monologues. That's my main bugbear with the way anime is presented, in broad terms. Doesn't matter if it's a dub or a sub people making excessive grunting noises annoys the hell out of me. You're not Link from Zelda you can be quiet for a moment, please.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Which leads me into my question - i didn't really care much for that FLCL revival, I thought it was going to be so good, and was disappointed, and haven't really watched any anime in a while, except for an episode of "Pop Team Epic" (which was "fine") and "Cells at Work" (it was also "fine"), I don't know if you have any recommendations for shows with a proper beginning, middle and end - and I think it's too late for me to get into JoJo.

I've avoided the FLCL revival because I liked the original and it had a beginning, middle and end, and don't want that ruined. I like endings.

In a similar vein, I'd recommend the original Madoka Magika for having a 12 episode arc that stands as its own arc and you don't need to watch anything else. Go in unspoiled if you can, but it's a good, if kinda depressing watch. Just pretend the rest didn't happen and you're fine.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

any member of a privileged group defending one of the most successful trans activists of the last decade gives me some 'white knight' vibes too op

I didn't realize we were talking about Chelsea, I thought this was contra chat

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I actually really like rebellion.
It's debatable if what happens is a bad thing or not. People who watch the original should at least form their own opinions on it.

I've heard outlines of magia record stories though and it sounds edgy in a way the material had a reputation for being but kind of wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Vinland Saga is the best concurrent anime. I mean it's got vikings and really what does one need more than that. Extremely similar to the tv-show Last Kingdom if anyone liked that.