Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liUSeI_5LUw

WELL YEEHAW "Y'ALL" IT'S TIME FOR NASCAR, THE SOUTH'S GREATEST EXPORT AFTER COCA COLA AND THE REBEL FLAG

2020 Schedule had a few changes
Now instead of Daytona>Atlanta>West Coast Swing it goes straight from Florida to Vegas with The Atlanta 500 moving to after Phoenix (Spring) leading into
HOMESTEAD now no longer the finale gets a who gives a poo poo race in mid march right during the middle of march madness lmao
Martinsville is moving to Mother's Day Weekend with a new night race
Kansas, which was Mother's Day gets kicked down to May 31, the week after Memorial Day
Pocono is losing its second date and instead will run both races on the same weekend of June 27/28 :bigwhat:. Instead of 2 500 mile affairs it'll be 1 325 and 1 350 race respectively. They're also hosting a GN race and a Truck race that weekend so it's gonna be a total clusterfuck especially if it rains
The Firecracker 400 is punted out of the Fourth of July slot it's held since 19 loving 59 so they can give it to the Brickyard, a loving shithole track in a shithole town
Firecracker instead will be held as the last race before the playoffs :laffo: on August 29th
Lotta deck chair moving within the playoffs blah blah
Phoenix 2 is now the championship race, hey it made homestead a popular track (lie) so I'm sure it'll do wonders for the worst track in the series
Only other change is a 2 week break after Loudon in July for the Olympics because NBC knows where the real money is and it ain't fuckin Michigan Speedway

Driver changes:
Rookies:
#00 Quin Houff (StarCom)
#8 Tyler Reddick (Childress)
#15 Brennan Poole (Premium)
#38 JH Nemechek (Front Row)
#41 Cole Custer (Stewart-Haas)
#95 Christopher Bell (Leavine Family)

Retirees:
David Ragan
Paul Menard
Matt Tifft

Transfers:
Daniel Suarez (Stewart-Haas > Trashcan or down a level maybe :rip: )
Barstool Sports' Matt DiBenedetto (Leavine Family > Wood Bros)
Ricky Stenhouse Jr (Roush > JTG)
Daniel Hemric (Childress > back to baby cars)
Chris Buescher (JTG > Roush)

Other stuff:
Wiki only lists 14 full time truck teams :popeye:
Indycar driver James Davison is running the Daytona 500 with an Indycar and USAC teams teamup
The Cup Series will not have a sponsor "on purpose" for the first time in decades
NASCAR has banned CBD sponsorships because of "media partners"
HOWEVER!! NASCAR has lifted bans on sponsors that compete with "official nascar partners" so time to bring back the cingular wireless car baby

Alright that's all! Raise Hell Praise Dale, congrats to ROWDY for winning another cup, RIP Jimmie Johnson and his son Junior Johnson, off in that SODA Truck Heaven :angel:

here's a pic of terry labonte

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

nascar sucks :siren:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Much like your posting

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Norns posted:

Much like your posting

thanks for the personal attack bernie bro

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Peanut President posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liUSeI_5LUw

WELL YEEHAW "Y'ALL" IT'S TIME FOR NASCAR, THE SOUTH'S GREATEST EXPORT AFTER COCA COLA AND THE REBEL FLAG

2020 Schedule had a few changes
Now instead of Daytona>Atlanta>West Coast Swing it goes straight from Florida to Vegas with The Atlanta 500 moving to after Phoenix (Spring) leading into
HOMESTEAD now no longer the finale gets a who gives a poo poo race in mid march right during the middle of march madness lmao
Martinsville is moving to Mother's Day Weekend with a new night race
Kansas, which was Mother's Day gets kicked down to May 31, the week after Memorial Day
1) Pocono is losing its second date and instead will run both races on the same weekend of June 27/28 :bigwhat:. Instead of 2 500 mile affairs it'll be 1 325 and 1 350 race respectively.
2) They're also hosting a GN race and a Truck race that weekend so it's gonna be a total clusterfuck especially if it rains
3) The Firecracker 400 is punted out of the Fourth of July slot it's held since 19 loving 59 so they can give it to the Brickyard, a loving shithole track in a shithole town
4) Firecracker instead will be held as the last race before the playoffs :laffo: on August 29th
Lotta deck chair moving within the playoffs blah blah
Phoenix 2 is now the championship race, hey it made homestead a popular track (lie) so I'm sure it'll do wonders for the worst track in the series
5) Only other change is a 2 week break after Loudon in July for the Olympics because NBC knows where the real money is and it ain't fuckin Michigan Speedway

Driver changes:
Rookies:
6) #00 Quin Houff (StarCom)
7) #8 Tyler Reddick (Childress)
#15 Brennan Poole (Premium)
#38 JH Nemechek (Front Row)
#41 Cole Custer (Stewart-Haas)
#95 Christopher Bell (Leavine Family)

Retirees:
David Ragan
Paul Menard
Matt Tifft

Transfers:
Daniel Suarez (Stewart-Haas > Trashcan or down a level maybe :rip: )
8) Barstool Sports' Matt DiBenedetto (Leavine Family > Wood Bros)
Ricky Stenhouse Jr (Roush > JTG)
9) Daniel Hemric (Childress > back to baby cars)
Chris Buescher (JTG > Roush)

Other stuff:
Wiki only lists 14 full time truck teams :popeye:
10) Indycar driver James Davison is running the Daytona 500 with an Indycar and USAC teams teamup
The Cup Series will not have a sponsor "on purpose" for the first time in decades
NASCAR has banned CBD sponsorships because of "media partners"
HOWEVER!! NASCAR has lifted bans on sponsors that compete with "official nascar partners" so time to bring back the cingular wireless car baby

Alright that's all! Raise Hell Praise Dale, congrats to ROWDY for winning another cup, RIP Jimmie Johnson and his son Junior Johnson, off in that SODA Truck Heaven :angel:

11) here's a pic of terry labonte

5/5 OP, would read again.

Observations:
1) This is a fairly obvious experiment to see if it'll be feasible for the bigger schedule change in 2021, but :lol:
2) Isn't there an ARCA race thrown in there somewhere? They used to run Pocono twice.
3) gently caress this noise so hard, I've gone to that race since 2003 and the race being the playoff cutoff at the expense of losing the :911: date doesn't make me want to go to it more (and only makes it a harder sell to tie into a vacation at work). Unfortuately, it'll probably be 2022 before they fix it because they're going to want to see how it works before changing and the schedule comes out in April. Also, :laffo: that the excuse for poor attendance was heat, so they moved it to September and, now, back to July.
4) I can't wait to see which tropical system postpones this race and/or neutral-site CFB game which will inevitably be played at Jerry World will be more of a viewership draw than this.
5) :lol:, well said. Unfortunately, this means no Leigh Diffey doing Cup.
6) The most no-name to have ever no-named gets a full-time ride.
7) gently caress #8, the one true Second RCR Car Number is 31. :ramsay:
8) I hope Matt DiBenedetto Presented by Barstool Sports makes for a fun pairing with the Woods like Ryan Blaney was.
9) Huh. Having never won a race only gets you so far, apparently.
10) Wait, what?
11) Terry Labonte is good people and his Dale Jr. Download was a good listen.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Yeah I was surprised about the Davison thing too. Running a car prepared by Johnathan Byrd's Indycar team and The Haywards' sprint car team, as part of a deal that'll see him run the Indy 500 and some sprint car races.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Nice OP

Brickyard in July is dumb as hell (it's dumb as hell having stock cars race there at all but whatever).
Cutoff race at a "plate" track should be pretty funny.

Kevin Harvick will win at Phoenix to be the champ.

Burn down the Applebees.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Quin Houff

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Do you think NASCAR racing sucks? You'd only be partially correct! While the racing at the national level is hilariously inconsistent and bad, let us remind ourselves that NASCAR isn't just that. NASCAR is also your local short track and various regional championships. This stuff is actually really loving good and you should go to your local track and/or watch more of it on TV.

NASCAR is still NASCAR and it is trying it darnedest to gently caress it up, however. You may have heard that NASCAR bought out ARCA recently, and this year we're seeing the result of that. ARCA is still gonna ARCA with its mix of superspeedways, intermediates, short tracks, old cars, young racers, old racers, and questionable brakes. But on top of that NASCAR has rebranded the K&N East and K&N West series as the ARCA East and ARCA West series. Separately, ARCA Prime, East and West will all carry on as they have been in the recent past, so what you've been using to seeing there should continue.

Here's where things get interesting and/or needlessly complicated. Ten races of the 20-race ARCA series will be designated as ARCA Showdown races, where the regular ARCA cars, East cars, and West cars are all eligible to run. :siren: These are all short tracks and road courses :siren: and could potentially have high car counts, so they will not suck. It's a championship-in-a-championship thing going on, which is probably better than T H E P L A Y O F F S.

The TV coverage will be a mixed bag since ARCA was on FS1 and MAVTV, and K&N was is on NBCSN. But! NASCAR did A Good Thing and is offering streaming coverage of everything ARCA, Pinty's, Whelen Modifieds (now confirmed!), and other grassroots local track races via NBC Sports Gold. It's only $20 a year for the NASCAR Trackpass ($45 for the bundle with IMSA and AFT) which actually sounds like a very good deal now that I'm typing it out like this and I will probably get it!!!

One last note, you'll probably hear of this Hallie Deegan lady-person switching from Toyota to Ford and moving up from K&N West to ARCA proper.

https://twitter.com/BlackFlagMatter/status/1137567751554228224

That's racin'!

ARCA Series Schedule (with ARCA Showdown schedule)
K&N ARCA East Schedule
K&N ARCA West Schedule

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 6, 2020

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hoping my local track brings more stock car races back . Track changes owners related more to drag races and they only had a few events last year. Their Facebook says theyr trying to bring ovals back.

Local track racing is the Best. My 2 memorable moments.

1. Two guys fighting next to their destroyed cars because someone walled someone else.

2. The lights were having issues because the transformer was having issues. They stopped the race. A guy crawls out of his car and up the power pole to fix it.

3. Awesome fun racing.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Well now that Danny is retired to working on Beetles full time I have to put all my fan hopes with Hallie Deegan

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:dale:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

gently caress moving the firecracker. It is heresy.

Although it's slightly less likely to rain in August I guess, wouldn't be a problem if they just did it in the morning like God and Dale intended.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/SpinDoctor500/status/1213188291064778752

Naming rights to racetracks felt like too much of a "Trying to be the NFL" thing anyway, but that's not good.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Was anyone worried that the name change would make this bad track any badder?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

gently caress moving the firecracker. It is heresy.

Although it's slightly less likely to rain in August I guess, wouldn't be a problem if they just did it in the morning like God and Dale intended.

Afternoon storms you can set your watch to, the primary culprit they blamed, can still happen in August, albeit they're a bit less likely.

The bigger problem is it's in the prime of hurricane season and Hurricane Dorian hit the week after the 400's new date last year.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Afternoon storms you can set your watch to, the primary culprit they blamed, can still happen in August, albeit they're a bit less likely.

The bigger problem is it's in the prime of hurricane season and Hurricane Dorian hit the week after the 400's new date last year.
Ask me about the time I worked a 30 hour shift because NASCAR tried to have a race at 4:30 in July.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Norns posted:

Much like your posting

I don't know man, that was a pretty good OP.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I'm not going to watch a single god drat race this season and still bother you assclowns in IRC

...Discord or whatever that dumb poo poo is.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

mischief posted:

I'm not going to watch a single god drat race this season and still bother you assclowns in IRC

...Discord or whatever that dumb poo poo is.

I miss Whatbot. :(

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

mischief posted:

I'm not going to watch a single god drat race this season

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

You idiots should watch all the races and also discuss them in discord.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Only if I get to post HAIL SATAN every time someone crashes.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

iospace posted:

Only if I get to post HAIL SATAN every time someone crashes.

You know that's always welcome

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Norns posted:

I'm going to be at the Daytona 500 and I can't even guarantee I'm going to watch that one.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Look I didn't say you had to pay attention to the races I just said you should watch them

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Is Hailee Deegan’s dad still a giant shithead?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Who cares? She's a fun driver to watch and has the potential to be quite successful.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Ask me about the time I worked a 30 hour shift because NASCAR tried to have a race at 4:30 in July.

When was this? I can't remember a 4:30 start since I've been watching (1997)/attending (2003).

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

When was this? I can't remember a 4:30 start since I've been watching (1997)/attending (2003).
Firecracker maybe 5 years ago? They moved the start time later for TV and then didn't actually get the race started until like midnight.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Firecracker maybe 5 years ago? They moved the start time later for TV and then didn't actually get the race started until like midnight.

I know the race was moved to Sunday in 2015 in part because it was NBC's first race back but they wanted to show the NYC July 4th fireworks on Saturday. Had the race run Saturday night, it would've started on time and run to completion without delay.

Going off memory (since I've been going), backed up by checking YT:
-2003: started on time
-2004-05: extended rain delays
-2006-09: on time (2007 NXS race PPD to Saturday morning)
-2010: short rain delay
-2011-13: on time
-2014: postponed to Sunday, rain-shortened
-2015: extended rain delay (moved to Sunday night by NBC, Saturday night race would've been on time)
-2016-18: on time (2017 NXS race started Friday, completed Saturday afternoon (e- after a rain delay Sat), followed almost immediately by Cup; that might be the one you're thinking of)
-2019: postponed to Sunday, rain-shortened

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 5, 2020

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Not sure it was mentioned on the Discord but the best NASCAR content of this offseason has to come from the Dinner With Racers podcast (and Amazon Prime show!) about Tim Richmond and The Poster. Part 1 features former press and PR people talking about Tim and The Poster, and Part 2 features Kyle Petty, Terry Labonte, Bobby Allison and Geoff Bodine, with some spectacular stories.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

I know the race was moved to Sunday in 2015 in part because it was NBC's first race back but they wanted to show the NYC July 4th fireworks on Saturday. Had the race run Saturday night, it would've started on time and run to completion without delay.

Going off memory (since I've been going), backed up by checking YT:
-2003: started on time
-2004-05: extended rain delays
-2006-09: on time (2007 NXS race PPD to Saturday morning)
-2010: short rain delay
-2011-13: on time
-2014: postponed to Sunday, rain-shortened
-2015: extended rain delay (moved to Sunday night by NBC, Saturday night race would've been on time)
-2016-18: on time (2017 NXS race started Friday, completed Saturday afternoon (e- after a rain delay Sat), followed almost immediately by Cup; that might be the one you're thinking of)
-2019: postponed to Sunday, rain-shortened
It's the 2015 one I was thinking of, just forgot the details. I showed up to work at 04:30 and didn't leave until like noon the next day.

ISC is not a great employer lol.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

harperdc posted:

Not sure it was mentioned on the Discord but the best NASCAR content of this offseason has to come from the Dinner With Racers podcast (and Amazon Prime show!) about Tim Richmond and The Poster. Part 1 features former press and PR people talking about Tim and The Poster, and Part 2 features Kyle Petty, Terry Labonte, Bobby Allison and Geoff Bodine, with some spectacular stories.

wait, they have an amazon show now? for some reason my podcast feed stopped updating them so i missed this

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Penske jumbled its crew chiefs for this year:
https://twitter.com/Jordan_Bianchi/status/1214291755245457410

NASCAR is experimenting with a new pit stop procedure in select NXS and Truck races:
https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1214638051718135808

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It's the 2015 one I was thinking of, just forgot the details. I showed up to work at 04:30 and didn't leave until like noon the next day.

ISC is not a great employer lol.

Gotcha, I just wondered if I'd gone braindead and forgotten something. I remember listening to MRN on my scanner during breaks and the broadcast team having a flight at 6am, causing them to strategize going back to get their stuff and almost immediately go to the airport.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

NASCAR is experimenting with a new pit stop procedure in select NXS and Truck races:
https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1214638051718135808

Sigh.. lets shake things up by making races longer, now everyone will make 2 pit stops.. F to pay my respects to nascar.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

CBJSprague24 posted:

Things worked very well the last time NASCAR tried loving with pit stops!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW5K1Ba21n8

and

http://www.trucktrend.com/news/163-news090225-nascar-truck-series-fueling-rule/

quote:

Before the 2009 season, NASCAR imposed a new pit stop rule which allows only five crewman over the wall on a pit stop, and also says teams can no longer change tires and fuel the truck on the same stop.

(Actually no, it didn't work very well at all)

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 7, 2020

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

I don't understand how this allows for more strategy calls and more interesting races. It just means Goodyear is most likely going to give them a left side tire that is hard as poo poo and probably only has to be changed once in 500 miles anyway. I don't really see how this mixes up strategy either. If the left side tire is hard as poo poo the teams typically adopt a 2 tire pit strategy anyway. We see it all the time on newly paved tracks. Hard tire, because Goodyear was too dumb to change the compound after the repave, plus the new pavement, equals 2 tire stops. I say it takes strategy away if anything because there won't be the guys like Paul Wolfe who see there are 75 laps left and my car has been stuck in 17th place all day, we can't pass, gently caress it we're taking 2 when everyone else takes 4 to shake poo poo up a little bit.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

This is probably the only place on SA to talk about it, so whatever.

The Chilli Bowl is NEXT WEEK. Have any of ya'll been? My job requires I care about this and NASCAR, so I'm trying to educate myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

ThePopeOfFun posted:

This is probably the only place on SA to talk about it, so whatever.

The Chilli Bowl is NEXT WEEK. Have any of ya'll been? My job requires I care about this and NASCAR, so I'm trying to educate myself.

I have not been, but, you are going to see a lot of top tier racers who really want to win that thing. Even top NASCAR guys like Kyle Larson show up to try to win the thing. It is a fairly prestigious event in the racing world as a whole, not necessarily just NASCAR. I'm guessing by your post you're not necessarily a race fan but you're probably going to see some really good racing with some real good talent at the front of each race.