Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
want to add a small caveat that me, an unknown dipshit on a dead forum, have had a ppl pm, steam or discord message me going "bro u seen this???" when someone on the forums namedrops me and i can imagine someone with a large fanbase will get that 100x more so i imagine its not all namesearching. its still not kosher to then expose them like that lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

ArfJason posted:

want to add a small caveat that me, an unknown dipshit on a dead forum, have had a ppl pm, steam or discord message me going "bro u seen this???" when someone on the forums namedrops me and i can imagine someone with a large fanbase will get that 100x more so i imagine its not all namesearching. its still not kosher to then expose them like that lol

Arf you loving see this poo poo?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just don't get why the tweets she posted were just so utterly tame.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ArfJason posted:

In the video she literally says she namesearches herself and goes to 4chan/kiwifarm hate threads about her as a form of self-harm, so while I'm sure some of that stuff was linked to her somehow its not unreasonable to assume that a majority of it is stuff she came across while doing that.

Roth posted:

I just don't get why the tweets she posted were just so utterly tame.
maybe she thought if they were mild people wouldn't go after the people who made them? or she didn't feel like looking at the more extreme stuff. either way it sure didnt pan out like that

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Endorph posted:

In the video she literally says she namesearches herself and goes to 4chan/kiwifarm hate threads about her as a form of self-harm, so while I'm sure some of that stuff was linked to her somehow its not unreasonable to assume that a majority of it is stuff she came across while doing that.

ah, apologies, ive not watched the video lol

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

And also shouldn't the blame for that be on people linking her that stuff in the first place?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I can't imagine watching a two hour long breadtube video. I didn't even finish Shaun's!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

littleorv posted:

I can't imagine watching a two hour long breadtube video. I didn't even finish Shaun's!

man i used to watch his stuff constantly but the bell curve one is still sitting at the halfway mark lol too much content!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Not that I doubt it's happening but is there any evidence that Contra stans are going after the people poorly anonymized in the video?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There's no real way of actually anonymizing stuff since anyone who cares enough (ie the sort to harass) can just search the text and find it no matter how much blocking you do.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Someone talking about you without @ing, subtweeting you, or otherwise directing people to interact with you isn't harassment. Like it just isn't harassment for people to say mean things about you without interacting with you in anyway. Whereas Contra is harassing them by directing people at them.

She didn't call it harassment. She didn't call out individuals. The context of the long series of twitter screenshots is her arguing that the twitter format (as opposed to video essays, e.g.) promotes 'canceling' rather than criticism. Twitter screenshots are essential to her argument that twitter is a toxic platform.

This is how she introduces the screenshots:

quote:

I really do believe in conversation, which means hearing out multiple perspectives. I don't want my audience getting all their information about trans people from me, and I think it's important to listen to criticism. So I encourage my audience to go watch some nonbinary youtubers who have criticized me and who have criticized Buck Angel. For example, go check out nonbinary youtuber Luxander's video about me, and nonbinary youtuber corviday's video about Buck Angel.

I think Youtube, as a platform, is better at producing criticism, rather than canceling. And I think that's because, at least in the vlog format, making a video forces you to confront the fact that you're a human being with a face and a name who can be held accountable for the things that you say. But people on twitter — it's a different story. And I think it's time we take a look at what canceling really is.

Note that Natalie prominently NAMES and LINKS two youtubers on the other side of this argument. Is she inciting harassment by doing that? Obviously not. But somehow she's inciting harassment by quoting dozens of anonymous twitter users in rapidfire series set to goofy music?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

She didn't call it harassment. She didn't call out individuals. The context of the long series of twitter screenshots is her arguing that the twitter format (as opposed to video essays, e.g.) promotes 'canceling' rather than criticism. Twitter screenshots are essential to her argument that twitter is a toxic platform.

If the content in those tweets is enough to be toxic then literally every platform is toxic

(twitter is pretty toxic)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

By quoting them in rapidfire succession with goofy music while presenting a shared trait that is easy to dismiss them for she is presenting them in a way that makes them seem like a nameless enemy that must be defeated and whose opinions aren't valid, yes. And you can't compare the two youtubers she names and links because she uses them as positive examples of criticism. She's saying they're worthwhile. Unlike the random twitter users.

Like the way she introduces them is literally 'these are the bad people who did the bad thing.'

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I am legit curious if this video is just a bad rehashing of exiting the vampire's castle but not curious enough to watch a two hour long video.

I could watch a star wars movie in that time!

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Endorph posted:

Like the way she introduces them is literally 'these are the bad people who did the bad thing.'

I must have missed this bit

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

littleorv posted:

I am legit curious if this video is just a bad rehashing of exiting the vampire's castle but not curious enough to watch a two hour long video.

I could watch a star wars movie in that time!

Well there is a "little white cuck orv" in there so i bet youll love it :troll:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and also if shes gonna have them cameo in her video she should really pay them all an appearance fee

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I must have missed this bit

quote:

I think Youtube, as a platform, is better at producing criticism, rather than canceling. And I think that's because, at least in the vlog format, making a video forces you to confront the fact that you're a human being with a face and a name who can be held accountable for the things that you say. But people on twitter — it's a different story. And I think it's time we take a look at what canceling really is.

'These are people who don't see me as a human being' or 'are hiding behind anonymity to say awful things.'

Like again, I'm not saying she isn't allowed to feel hurt by these things, or that you can't disagree with the things those people said. I'm saying the entire segment is poorly thought out and had an entirely predictable, negative outcome on the lives of trans people with less power and money than her, who were just expressing some moderate frustration with a public figure, in a space where she'd never see it if she didn't go out of her way to see it. Even ignoring harassment, I don't think her point is valid because these people aren't doing anything that actually *harms* her. They're just expressing legitimate frustrations in the space that is designed for them to share their thoughts, not trying to use that frustration as an excuse to harm contrapoints.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 3, 2020

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The frustrating thing about all this cancel culture poo poo is that it's always in defense of people that really aren't in any danger. I still remember when Contra first deleted her twitter and Lindsay was like "Oh yeah, she's fine"

The people that Contra posts in her video are far more vulnerable than her and don't have a big fanbase to defend them from everything.

That's why we think it was a bad thing for her to do regardless of any actual point she was attempting to make.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

As a TRAN and someone who isn't very active in either trans twitter or many trans spaces given I transitioned nearly a decade ago, I thought her apology video was poo poo. If it was an apology video maybe she should've dropped her shtick and spoke honestly. As a video on 'cancelling' it's too focused on her to be objective. I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone whose friends all defended her and who makes as much money as she does. Oh no random people on the net think she sucks poo poo. So horrible. I think twitter people maybe went too far? But I also didn't see death threats or any of the usual horrible poo poo, so it just seems like taking someone way too seriously. Like frankly I'm just done with her.

I liked her political videos but when she started to transition her videos became about her transition and her trying to figure out her feelings wrt to that. Which is cool, but I think her problem comes form being a former political channel so what is her musing poo poo is taken as her serious feeling. Or her serious feeling changes as it does because puberty 2.0 is a thing. I almost feel that she'd have avoided the issue if she didn't want to talk about transition in the way she did basically. The video is not worth watching for how bloody long it is.

Also for anime, I don't believe anyone has recommended it yet but watch Cromartie High School, it's hilarious and a show where the English dub probably exceeds the original for it's comedy.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

lmao that dude's first post in the thread is defending forums super star Bravest of the Lamps, the guy who got perma'd for stalking and harrassing a dude across forums and even websites for the crime of posting photos of action figures

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I also don't think it's pearl clutching to find it distasteful that she was using a background made up of trans or trans-popular characters (and a few from an actual trans artist) as a sign of mockery.

Especially with the latter. Pas has already gotten tons of poo poo from lovely wokescolds for their characters not being "trans enough" and to see Natalie just open up another avenue of mockery sucks major rear end.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It really comes across as "This is the bad kind of trans" to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And yeah it's also worth noting that some of the icons/art she uses as examples in there is stuff by trans artists who also have less of a platform than her.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

a cartoon duck posted:

lmao that dude's first post in the thread is defending forums super star Bravest of the Lamps, the guy who got perma'd for stalking and harrassing a dude across forums and even websites for the crime of posting photos of action figures

I don't know anything about that friendo, the perma reason was for annoying people in book barn or cd or something

e: (1) This is the perma reason

quote:

Every single post you make is a dumb one-liner about how a thing is bad. You haven't contributed anything of substance in years. You are the most boring kind of person to have any discussion with, and I don't think you have any positive effect on the forums. I don't care if you're right or wrong about the subjects. So many people are sick of dealing with your poo poo. Go away.

(2) My post was long before he was permabanned

gj getting personal and lying about some easily checked stuff to score points in what had been a pretty civil argument tho

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 3, 2020

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Eimi posted:

Also for anime, I don't believe anyone has recommended it yet but watch Cromartie High School, it's hilarious and a show where the English dub probably exceeds the original for it's comedy.
Did you ever read what the protag did to get sent to cromartie? Its incredible

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ArfJason posted:

Cromartie FTW.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

that get's a big lol from me fam

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

ArfJason posted:

Yes and I love that it's a gag in the anime that they never say it and just tell you to read the manga. :v:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I also don't think it's pearl clutching to find it distasteful that she was using a background made up of trans or trans-popular characters (and a few from an actual trans artist) as a sign of mockery.

Especially with the latter. Pas has already gotten tons of poo poo from lovely wokescolds for their characters not being "trans enough" and to see Natalie just open up another avenue of mockery sucks major rear end.

I didn't watch the video super closely so gently caress her even more for doing that. Pas is good people.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Eimi posted:

Cromartie is noteworthy for being the only comedy anime that is actually, genuinely funny.

Everything else tries way to hard to be zany and ~random~ or it's just garbagely paced like it's meant to have a laugh track but they forgot to include it.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I just keep getting yelled at for saying that who gives a poo poo if Contra gets yelled at in the Chapo thread by jackasses since it's clearly a flaw of leftism to get mad at someone who repeatedly fucks up on simple things.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Dragonatrix posted:

Cromartie is noteworthy for being the only comedy anime that is actually, genuinely funny.

Counterpoint:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Senerio posted:

Counterpoint:

Thank you

WhiteGenocideNow
Mar 16, 2019

I feel like men are not sending us their best people.

Farm Frenzy posted:

did you grab this off twitter? please stop

This looks like Twitter to you? Its Youtube...

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

ArfJason posted:

Thank you

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Endorph posted:

And yeah it's also worth noting that some of the icons/art she uses as examples in there is stuff by trans artists who also have less of a platform than her.

A bunch of the twitter folks' avatars weren't cartoons at all, there was that sad squid thing for example. does anyone know the marginalized status of the photographer of the sad squid? also, natalie obviously never considered the feelings of the sad squid who is now caught in the crossfire. not a good look. ouch

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like Ore Monogatari

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

A bunch of the twitter folks' avatars weren't cartoons at all, there was that sad squid thing for example. does anyone know the marginalized status of the photographer of the sad squid? also, natalie obviously never considered the feelings of the sad squid who is now caught in the crossfire. not a good look. ouch

You suck rear end dude.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Is Princess Jellyfish good? Girl who's really into jellyfish sounds like my jam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The only thing I know about Touhou is that Americans loving love Clownpiece and Zun makes good music.