Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

That's some spoiler-rear end spoilers for both this game and the sequel at the bottom of the previous page, please edit that out. I know these games are old and all, but I said multiple times I do not want any spoilers in this thread.

edit: Thank you. :)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Something I can’t stop thinking about- I’ve never actually played this game- can you shoot the racist preacher a-hole, and does this give dark side points? What about encouraging him?

For a while, racism among the empire was a pretty big thing in the Star Wars Expanded Universe. Then we got more non-human antagonist characters such as Darth Maul, Asajj Ventress, and Grand Admiral Thrawn.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

achtungnight posted:

Something I can’t stop thinking about- I’ve never actually played this game- can you shoot the racist preacher a-hole, and does this give dark side points? What about encouraging him?

Nope. He's literally just a fun bit of flavor to mess with.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Rats. Would have loved to get to go Lincoln Clay on that jerk.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
IIRC, much like how some version of Carth shows up in later games, preacher man shows up in ME2. On one of the starter planets (Omega?), there's a racist shouting preacher outside of a quarantine zone. I think you have slightly more interaction with him, because in a stunning twist, he's racist against Humans (whaaaa?) I think he appears in ME3, but I only played that one once, so I don't remember him.

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
He does show up in ME3 if you own the Omega DLC. And he's still as crazy as in ME2. I don't remember being able to interact with him in ME3, though. Seems like he was behind a large window and preaching to a crowd about the end of time due to reapers or something.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Full Renegade Shepard in ME1 is basically someone’s racist douchebag uncle/aunt and it’s great. :allears:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Comrade Koba posted:

Full Renegade Shepard in ME1 is basically someone’s racist douchebag uncle/aunt and it’s great. :allears:

Big

Stupid

Jellyfish

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

*Cue techno remix*

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Part 4: The Mandalorian

Greetings from the far-flung future dystopia of the year 2020. Sadly, I have to inform you that flying cars have not been invented yet. Anyway, last time on KotOR we reached the Lower City of Taris and made our way to Javyar's Cantina, where we met some new friends. Speaking of friends, let's have a chat with... whatever this guy is.

Okay, you're not here to offend we. What do you want, then?

I want to ask you some questions.

Questions? What kind of questions.

What planet are you from?

You couldn't say it, and don't have the ears for it. Two voices create the name, and four ears hear the true sound. But your kind would call our home Sorjus, a small world far off the Perlemian trade route.

What kind of creature are you?

In your one voiced-tongue you would call our kind Paaerduag.

Can you tell me about your home world?

Talking about our home only makes this quarantine more difficult to bear. Forgive us, human, but we do not wish to be reminded of it.

Hm, fair enough.

What do you know about Taris?

Nothing. We were only stopping here to get supplies when the Sith attacked. They imposed a quarantine on all ships that had landed on Taris. Now we are stuck here on a world that hates non-humans... not a good place to be.

I'll be going now.

Good. Leave us alone. We just want quarantine to end so we can go back home.

That's another completely optional conversation that serves no other purpose than providing some extra lore for worldbuilding nerds like me.

The large open room is the bounty office, and that must be Zax.

Are you looking for work? There are many bounties available here; legal and otherwise. But they all pay quite well. Or are you here for information? Everyone knows I'm one of Davik's best agents... I'm the Hutt with all the answers.

Might as well. More credits would come in handy.

I can't see anything wrong with getting rid of people like that - as long as we don't end up on the list of their victims.

But not all the bounties are dangerous. Davik got some special contracts. One's for a girl named Dia - she attacked Holdan, one of Davik's men. Another's for a man named Largo who owes Davik money.

Okay, I don't know about Davik's special contracts. Justice is one thing, but doing a crime lord's dirty work is something else.

And then there's Matrik. He used to work for Davik, then he betrayed the Exchange and now Davik wants him dead. I'll put all this information in your datapad.

Davik's bounties sound more like contract killings.

Davik works for the Exchange. They don't play games. If you don't pay your debts or you betray them or you attack them they get even. People bring Davik's bounty on themselves. Anyway, if you don't like them you don't have to take them. Collect the other bounties - government contracts. Those people are ruthless killers. They need to be stopped.

Okay then. While he did say all the information is in our datapad, we can learn a lot more about the bounties from Zax if we ask him.

Tell me about the assassin Selven.

Selven's a government bounty; she's a very dangerous woman. When she started she was just another killer working for Davik. Then she began freelancing to the highest bidder. One day she killed six citizens in the street... and their bodyguards, too. They were all Ulgos, a powerful merchant family with many enemies. Selven was hired to kill off the whole family. She was very good at her job. Each day, more Ulgos died. Poisoned at home, shot down in the street; guards and droids couldn't protect them. After a month there were no Ulgos left on Taris. Not one.

Ulgos, huh? Any relation to our dearly departed friend Trask?

It was never proven. But after the Ulgos were all dead, the Organa family demanded the government put out a contract on Selven. They said nobody was safe as long as Selven was still free.

Organa? Any relation to the Organa family on Alderaan?

But Taris politics aren't your concern. You're just a bounty hunter. You kill Selven, you get the credits. That's the only important thing, right?

Tell me about Bendak Starkiller.

Bendak's a government contract, but he's a legend on Taris. He started out as duelist in the Upper Cantina. He never lost, but he only fought death matches. He killed hundreds in his day. Then death matches got banned. Duel rings switched to non-lethal combat. But Bendak wasn't ready to retire. He kept dueling on the illegal, underground circuit. He kept killing people. Finally the government had no choice but to put a bounty out on him. But Bendak's a big folk hero, so not too many try to collect. Those who do all wind up dead, anyway.

Tell me about this girl Dia.

Dia's one of Davik's private bounties. She used be a waitress in the cantina here until she had a fight with Holdan. She cut him with her vibroblade, almost killed him. That was a mistake. Holdan works for Davik, he's not one to let her get away with that. When he was recovering in the medical bay, he put out a bounty on Dia. She's been hiding ever since.

I get the feeling there's more to this story.

Maybe. Doesn't really matter to me. I get the bounty from Davik's men, I don't ask questions. You can talk to Holdan if you want to know more - he's inside the cantina.

Tell me about this merchant Largo.

He's nothing special, just another of Davik's private bounties. He borrowed money from Davik for his business. But things went bad and he wasn't able to pay Davik back. So he ran. Davik doesn't like it when people who owe him money run. He put out a contract on Largo to send a message to the other merchants who owe him money.

Tell me about Matrik.

Davik is very interested in this bounty. Matrik used to work for Davik. He wasn't important, but he was there a long time. He saw lots of things that it was wise to keep quiet about. Then one day he betrayed Davik. He went to the Taris authorities and testified at trials against the Exchange. Lots of people were arrested and Davik's operations shut down for a while. It cost Davik thousands and thousands of credits to get business back on track, and he lost lots of good people. Of course he's not about to let Matrik get away with that.

But didn't the government protect Matrik after the trials?

They hid Matrik for a while, but when the Sith took over they shut the witness protection program down. It's expensive, and the Sith didn't care if Matrik died.

Whew! That does it for the information dump. Again, not crucial information, but still nice to know.

Before we leave, let's see what's going on in this corner.

Who are you?

Name's Bib Surool, manager for the Starlight Entertainers: the top performing troupe in this sector of the galaxy. I was here scouting new talent when the Sith attacked, and now I can't leave. You'd think the Sith would let me go so I could get back to my troupe, but I guess they just don't appreciate the arts. So, since I'm stuck here, I figured I might as well continue with my auditions. I'm supposed to be auditioning Lyn, but I think I'm wasting my time. Lyn's got all the moves, but I need to know if she can pull them off while sharing a stage with her partner.

Where's her partner?

She doesn't have one. That's the problem. Aren't you listening to me? Dancers don't perform solo, so I need to see if she can work with someone else before I get her up on stage.

Dancing? Sure, Zila is a mighty dancer. She can totally help out.

On the other hand, I'm not going to hire her unless I can see her in action with a partner. Maybe she's desperate enough to give you a chance. You'd have to ask her, I guess.

Only one way to find out.

Why don't you have a partner?

My last partner left me. She was always trying to upstage me, even though it was obvious I had ten times her talent. When I finally told her that, she stormed off. I guess the truth hurts. My partner before that was even worse. If I wasn't tripping over his staggering feet I was ducking under his flailing arms. I ditched him after less than a week.

Well, she's certainly got the attitude down. She's going to go far, and we'll help her do exactly that.

I admit I'm getting desperate: I'd hate to blow this audition. But I don't know if I'm ready to just pair up with a random passer-by. How do I know you're any good?

Famous last words. Obviously, you'll need a bit of Persuade skill for this because Lyn's not going to let just anyone come in and screw up her audition.

Mr. Surool, I've got a partner now. I'd really like to audition for you again.

Okay, Lyn, you've got one more chance. I'll give you a minute to get your partner set up, then let's see what you've got.

But don't get in too close if you can't handle it. I don't need some clumsy oaf tripping me up. Try not to screw this up for me, okay?

No clumsy oafs, got it. Let's get this show on the road.

We should keep it simple to start with, so we'll just dance beside Lyn for now.

Not too exciting, but at least no one's fallen on her face yet.

Look, I know you're trying to be careful about screwing up, but you've got to give me a little more than that. Bib's seen thousands of dancers: we need to do something that will impress him. The next dance is a little different, so watch me for the steps then jump in.

The basic dance moves are the same, just with an added awkward fist pump.

Let's get a little bit closer this time. I think we can handle that just fine.

I don't think dancing was much of a consideration when this game's animations were designed.

Okay, one dance to go. Bib looks happy. As long as we don't screw up I think we've got it! Follow me and please, just keep it simple.

The same two moves from before, but now we add what I can only describe as waving your hand around like you're doing a Jedi mind trick.

If you really want to be an rear end in a top hat, you can gently caress up Lyn's audition at the last second. Obviously, we're not doing that, and just dancing beside Lyn probably won't cut it this time so we're gonna have to go for something flashy to finish things off.

More poorly animated dancing ensues.

Well, what did you think? Do I get the job? Do you want me to dance some more? I can do another one for you if you want.

Relax, Lyn. You made it. You've got the job. Welcome to the Starlight Entertainers.

I made it? I really made it? This is incredible. I... I don't believe it!

And all she needed was just a little bit of help from her friend, or at least some random person. She must be extremely grateful after this.

Oh. Well, that's okay, I suppose.

I don't think we'll have time for that anytime soon, but we'll keep the offer in mind.

Now that we've dazzled everyone in this cantina with our amazing dance moves, we should head on over to the Hidden Bek base and see if Gadon Thek can help us in any way.

The Bek base is right opposite the cantina.

Sadly, she did not see us kill a bunch of Vulkars as soon as we made it down here.

I guess we'll give this a shot.

Between the Sith conquest and the Vulkar gang war Gadon has more enemies than he used to. We're being careful about who we let in now.

This game's script constantly misuses apostrophes. I'll generally fix them when transcribing the text, because it irritates me to no end.

Well, we do need all the help we can get. And you don't look like you're with the Vulkars or the Sith. Besides, it's not like you can do anything to harm Gadon in the heart of his own base. Not with Zaerdra watching his back. Go in and speak to Gadon if you want. Just remember to be on your best behavior... the Hidden Beks are watching you.

The interior of the Bek base doesn't have a whole lot to it. Most doors are locked, the ones that aren't don't lead to anything interesting, and the only one you can really talk to is Gadon. So, let's make our way to him and introduce ourselves.

This must be Zaerdra.

You're too trusting, Gadon. Brejik and his Vulkars want you dead. Anyone we don't know is a potential threat, and it's my job to make sure you're safe!

Do you want us to start attacking strangers on sight, Zaerdra - like the Vulkars do? I will never let it come to that! Now step aside and let them pass.

As you wish. You can speak to Gadon if you want, but I've got my eye on you! You try anything and you'll be vaporized before you can say "Vulkar spy"!

I don't know, I can say "Vulkar spy" quite fast. I'm sure we won't have any problems, we'll be on our best behavior.

The problems with the Sith haven't helped things. Zaerdra seems to forget that I know how to look after myself! Now, how can I help you?

We should go straight to business. Gadon and the Beks seem decent enough, but we don't want to waste their time too much.

They might be spies, Gadon! They might be working for the Sith!

Calm down, Zaerdra. If the Sith thought we knew anything useful they'd have a battalion of troops kicking down our door. No, I think this offworlder has her own agenda.

Pictured: Convincing arguments we're not with the Sith.

The Vulkars stripped those pods clean within hours after they landed. It's too bad we didn't get there first, considering what my spies reported the Vulkars found. A female Republic officer named Bastila survived the crash. We Beks don't believe in intergalactic slavery, but the Vulkars aren't so picky. They took her prisoner.

This just keeps getting better, doesn't it? Sounds like Bastila is alive at least, so that's something.

Normally the Vulkars would take a captured slave and sell them for a nice profit to Davik or an off-world slaver. But a Republic officer is no ordinary catch.

Hey, that'd mean we wouldn't have to do anything. It does make sense, though. Bastila's a powerful Jedi, what chance would a bunch of idiot thugs have against her? How did they manage to take her prisoner in the first place? Maybe she got knocked out in the crash like we did.

We still haven't seen any swoop bikes down here.

By putting up such a valuable prize Brejik hopes to win the loyalty of some of the smaller gangs. Their numbers will allow him to finally destroy me and my followers.

So how do you propose we go about rescuing Bastila, then? We can't fight all the gangs.

The only hope you have of rescuing Bastila is to somehow win the big season opener of the swoop race.

I was afraid he'd say that.

Before we enter any races, hear us out here, Gadon. If Bastila is going to be the winning prize for the swoop race, presumably she'd be present at the race venue. If that's the case, why can't we just go to wherever the race is held, blast our way through any Vulkars dumb enough to get in our way, free Bastila, and get the hell out? The real reason is of course that BioWare really wants us to try out their racing minigame, but it would've been nice to have an alternate option for those who suck at racing or just don't like the minigame.

What are you proposing?

The swoop race is for the Lower City gangs only. I could sponsor you as a rider for the Hidden Beks this year. If you win the race, you'll win your friend's freedom. But first you have to do something for me. My mechanics have developed an accelerator for a swoop engine. A bike with the accelerator installed can beat any other swoop out there! But the Vulkars stole the prototype from us. They plan to use it to guarantee a victory in this year's swoop race. I need you to break into their base and steal it back.

The cheating bastards stole the engine tech we were supposed to cheat with!

We can walk right up to the doors and even kill the guards, but that won't help us get inside because the doors are sealed.

Oh, that's convenient.

Mission's explored every step of every back alley in the Lower City. Plus she knows the Undercity sewers better than anyone. If anyone can get inside the Vulkar base, it's her.

I wish we'd known this fifteen minutes ago.

She and her Wookiee friend Zaalbar are always looking to stir up a little excitement. They like to go exploring in the Undercity, despite the dangers. Your best bet is to look for her in the Undercity. But you'll need some way past the Sith guard post at the elevator.

I've got some Sith uniforms to disguise myself.

Even if you go to the Undercity elevator before talking to Gadon and confirm that the uniforms do not help you get past the guard, this dialogue doesn't change at all to reflect that.

Luckily my gang ambushed one of the Sith patrols headed down to the Undercity. They never made it, and their security papers fell into my hands. Since we're working together now I suppose I could give them to you in exchange for your uniforms. With the security papers you won't need a disguise anyway.

Okay - I'll trade the uniforms for the papers.

Good choice. Thanks for the uniforms. You won't need them with these security papers anyway. Now, is there anything else I can do for you?

Well, I suppose we could ask Gadon here a few questions while we're here.

You said you were having problems with the Sith?

A foreign army invades Taris, declares martial law and locks down all travel to and from the planet? You drat well bet I have a problem with that! If the Sith ever moved in down here all the swoop gangs would unite against them. We'd use hit and run guerrilla tactics to pick them off... their casualties would be enormous!

Don't fool yourself. The Sith would never commit to that kind of operation. They'd... they'd probably do something much more grand and deadly.

But so far the Sith have stayed out of the Lower City and our strength is wasted on this stupid gang war! I tried to explain this to Brejik, but he and his Vulkars won't listen.

Is there any way off this planet?

Not while the Sith quarantine is in place. Even the fastest smugglers' ships can't break the blockade of the fleet surrounding the planet without the proper launch codes. Any ship leaving the Taris atmosphere without the proper codes would be instantly disintegrated by blaster cannons fired by the Sith fleet's automated targeting systems.

That does sound like something we'd like to avoid. It definitely complicates things, because even if we find a ship to get us off this planet, we'd need some way past the auto-targeting systems.

But with my occular implants I can still see well enough to lead this gang, and I knew Brejik wasn't ready to take over yet. Unfortunately, Brejik didn't agree with me. In a rage he left to join our arch rivals, the Black Vulkars. A lot of the younger gang members followed him, and soon he and his followers had taken control of the Vulkar gang.

But why start a gang war?

Brejik is a proud man. My decision was a public humiliation for him. Maybe if I had stepped down this gang war could have been avoided.

Seems doubtful. Brejik sounds like the kind of guy who was going to start this gang war of his no matter whose colors he was flying.

Zaerdra is inclined to agree.

I'll be going now.

Feel free to come back anytime. We're not like those Vulkar savages - strangers are welcome in the Bek base.

As I said before we had our chat with Gadon, there's nothing of interest at the Bek base so we should move on.

But first off, let's take another quick glance at our journal.

Naturally, we have to deal with more Vulkars as we make our way down the Lower City corridor. Based on the restored content mod, there were supposed to be Bek gang members walking around and helping us fight the Vulkars, but they were cut for reasons unknown. Presumably, the Xbox had performance issues with all the guys running around and blasting each other, so the Beks got cut. That kind of sucks, because their help would've been very welcome.

What's going on here?

The Vulkars seem to think they shouldn't have to pay Davik his protection money or whatever this racket is about, so Davik's sent one of his goons to collect. He seems hopelessly outmatched, though.

That is a very large gun.

It's been five years since the end of the Mandalorian Wars, which saw the Mandalorians at the height of their power as they brought the Republic to its knees until the Jedi Revan and Malak turned the tide of the war. Since the end of the war, the surviving Mandalorians have been scattered around the galaxy, with many of their warriors now working as mercenaries for various crime syndicates and mob bosses as we see here.

As you might expect, most common thugs aren't too enamored by the idea of throwing down with a Mandalorian warrior such as Canderous here.

I think that typo was fixed on the PC release.

Davik's agent walks off, and Canderous turns his attention to us.

Thankfully, he isn't looking for a fight.

Sounds like Brejik isn't satisfied just running things in the Lower City.

Canderous is voiced by the late John Cygan. You may remember him as the voice of Solidus Snake in Metal Gear Solid 2, but more importantly he voiced Dash Rendar in Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire.

Canderous doesn't have time (or interest) for chatting with random idiots. I should point out he was the one who decided to talk to us in the first place, though.

Naturally, there are more Vulkars for us to fight. This right here is a Vulkar Enforcer, a stronger version of the basic Vulkar enemies who hits harder and takes more punishment. I threw a sonic grenade at him here.

Before we proceed, we still have a couple of apartment buildings to check in the Lower City. There's one near each end of the Lower City, and we'll start by exploring this one because it's the closest to us. I'm cutting the update here because the full thing was going to go over the character limit and this was the best cutoff point I could think of (about halfway through, which is okay but all the action is in the back half), so expect the next installment very shortly.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 1, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Part 5: Wanted Dead or Alive

This is really just the second half of update 4, but I'm naming it Part 5 because otherwise the LP Archive won't like it.

Oh, hey. Looks like we're interrupting something again.

Calo Nord's character model is actually a lot shorter than most characters in the game. His official height is listed as 4'11".

We saw what happened to the last group of guys who tried to harass Calo Nord. This doesn't seem like it's about to end any better for these Rodians.

That's the plan.

Hi, Calo. Bye, Calo.

The Lower City Apartments look the same as the Upper City ones, but are populated by hostile Vulkars and other lowlives instead of NPCs cowering in fear of the crazy person who broke into their apartment. There are also groups of Vulkars just walking around and occasionally spawning in out of nowhere, so the Apartments can be a pretty hostile place when you're not specced for combat, especially at such a low level as ours.

Speaking of levels, we kill enough Vulkars to reach level 4.

I ended up putting the one extra attribute point to STR. An odd number doesn't increase our attribute modifier, so this might look like I'm wasting the point, but it very much does get us closer to that +2 modifier and the fact is we are going to be doing a lot of melee combat in this game so you'd generally want your STR to be at least somewhat decent, since unlike in KotOR II there is no ability to let you use DEX instead of STR for your melee attack modifier. It'd probably be more optimal to keep pumping our points into DEX as that'd help us get hit less often, but whatever.

Some more points in Computer Use, Persuade and Security. Now, I realize that technically you don't even need to put any points to Security because most if not all locks can be bashed with no penalty. However, smashing through every door like a caveman just seems so... uncivilized, and from a role-playing perspective it makes more sense for a rogue-type character to invest in lockpicking.

A common strategy for KotOR 1 players is to avoid leveling up until they reach a certain point in the game and unlock what could be described as a prestige class, letting them spend their unused points on abilities that only become available for those classes. I'll mostly be leveling up as normal, because I want more Sneak Attack and Scoundrel's Luck bonuses.

Oh good, this again.

You're probably one of the most skilled women I've ever met. You've saved my butt more than once and I'm lucky you're here to help me, no question. But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop watching you or being wary. I'm just not built that way. Period.

At least he's not hitting on us this time, I guess.

Look... I'm not trying to insult you. This is just the way I am, no need to take it personally.

I'm beginning to wonder if you're even capable of trusting anyone.

Well, you can stop wondering. I'm not.

I don't need someone around me who doesn't trust me.

And I don't need all these questions. What I do need is to try and save the galaxy, if that's even possible.

We don't have time for this, so can we please just... drop it. For now? Can we pick it up later if you really must, I... want to get underway.

Well, that was pointless.

We picked up an energy shield from one of the Vulkars we killed. Might as well equip it, we'll need all damage protection we can get. To use an energy shield, you activate it using the combat interface just like you'd use any item.

We also seem to have located the assassin Selven. In case you can't tell from the fact we're glowing and have those arrows on our character portrait, I activated the energy shield and took a bunch of drugs before talking to Selven.

I'm here to collect the bounty on your head, Selven!

This fight can be really tough if you're not prepared for it. Thankfully, Selven will let you leave without a fight if you're polite enough, so you can go pump yourself full of drugs or what have you before you attempt to fight her. Of course, we already took care of the preparations, so let's throw down.

We found a poison grenade at some point, so we'll use that to weaken Selven.

Thanks to our drug cocktail and energy shield, we're more than capable of holding our own. That takes care of Selven's bounty.

Selven has a scope we'll fit on Carth's blaster later, along with an Adrenaline Amplifier belt and a Neural Band head accessory. Let's take a look at what those do.

Our Fortitude saves are really the ones that need a boost, but improving Reflex saves is fine as well.

Our Will saves were also pretty bad, so this'll help a little bit.

The problem with KotOR headgear is that it's always completely hideous. In the past, I've actively avoided wearing headgear in this game because it makes you look like a dumbass, and later on I might end up doing that in the LP as well for fashion purposes. If you're on PC, you can install the Invisible Headgear mod, which does what it says on the tin. No such option for us on Xbox, of course.

Vulkar Gang Bosses are the most fearsome Vulkar enemies you'll run into down here. I may also have slightly blown us up with a grenade. That doesn't help. At least I think that was my grenade, I don't think the Vulkars use grenades in combat. Some enemies certainly do, and it's always a fun time.

These two groups of Vulkars spawn in right after we kill the gang boss. I don't know if that's a scripted event or if they just spawn in randomly, but it's still not great for us. Carth also gained a level in all of that, so let's see what we can do with him.

Carth's skillset is pretty useless, so I usually just give him what the game recommends. In this case, that means some more points in Treat Injury.

Sure, why not.

Here's Carth after his levelup. We also found another Combat Suit for Carth, so he got a defense boost at the cost of his default outfit being replaced with the generic combat uniform. Again, I might keep some party members in their default gear for fashion purposes later on.

Hm, this looks interesting. That force field around the foot locker indicates the locker has been rigged with a mine trap, which is triggered if you walk into the force field radius.

We've got enough Demolitions skill to disable this mine. If you're skilled enough, you can also recover mines, which is a decent way to make money early on because mines sell for a nice amount of credits. I'll make use of this whenever I have a Demolitions expert in the party.

Now that we got rid of the mine, we can take a look at the terminal and check out the message, which reads as follows:

Message posted:

Hey, Elam! How's life on Taris? I heard your brother left for Tatooine to become a miner. Did he at least leave Hyperdrive behind to keep you company? I hope you're still practicing with that blaster I gave you. Remember what I taught you, because you might need it. Taris isn't like Alderaan: it can be dangerous there. Stay away from those swoop gangs, and keep everything locked up in that old strongbox. Nobody's going to be busting into that thing! Hope to hear from you soon.
Uncle Louie

[Because this box is an older, off-planet model there is no interface for you to try and slice the system. You'll have to figure out the password if you want to get inside.]

Well, I think it's safe to say that Elam either joined a swoop gang or got involved in some other way, so we shouldn't feel too bad for breaking into his strongbox.

Hyperdrive was mentioned in the message, so we'll choose that.

The message was from an Uncle Louie, who mentioned giving Elam a blaster. (What kind of Star Wars name is Louie, anyway?)

The message said Taris was not like Alderaan, and while that doesn't confirm the family came from there it'll be as good a guess as any.

Why, thank you.

The Republic Mod Armor is an improvement over our basic combat suit. It has a Defense bonus of 5, with a max DEX bonus of +4, and can be upgraded. That'd be more useful if we weren't going to find an even better replacement soon.

That's all we can do in these particular apartments, so let's head back out.

The bouncer from Javyar's cantina will actually help you in a fight if you lure enemies close enough to him. This was actually one of the Vulkars guarding the hideout, we got in a fight too close to them and ended up having to retreat because Carth got knocked out. Carth eventually got up, but the Vulkar was still following us.

Since we had to return to our apartment anyway for a heal, let's check out the place next door.

I'm sorry. I was just investigating the area.

That's no excuse. You can't just go around barging into people's apartments because you're curious! But at least you're more polite than that pig, Holdan.

This, of course, is Dia.

We know who Holdan is. He put the bounty on Dia.

What do you mean?

l... I don't want to talk about it. I'm in enough trouble already. Besides, I don't know if I can trust you.

Holdan's a spiteful little Hutt-slug. He went and put out a bounty on my head for what I did! That's why I'm hiding out here.

We know all this, of course, not that any of our dialogue options reflect that.

Maybe I could speak to Holdan for you.

You could try, I guess. He usually hangs out at the cantina in the Lower City. It probably won't do any good. Holdan's used to getting his own way. That's one of the fringe benefits of being a goon for Davik. Working for the local crime lord lets you get away with things. Still, I appreciate the offer. Goodbye, and good luck. I hope you can talk some sense into Holdan.

Well, we heard Dia's side of the story. Time to head back down to the cantina.

Here - 300 credits. That's the price for all bounties.

First off, inform Zax we took out Selven. 300 credits is okay, but we can do better.

You do good work, human. There's lots of bounty hunters on Taris, but most are lazy. Maybe if you keep cashing in bounties they'll work harder.

Zax is a lot more receptive to bargaining than Ajuur, so you can get 400 credits for every bounty you turn in. Now that we got that out of the way, let's see if we can find Holdan.

Don't worry, honey - alien girls aren't really my thing. I'm much more interested in an attractive female of my own species.

Here's our boy. A real charmer, he is. We'll tell him we want to talk about Dia's bounty.

I can't let her get away with what she did - that wench tried to cut me with her vibroblade!

Why would she do that?

Because she's crazy! She started screaming that I was making advances, and the next thing I know she's coming at me with a knife.

Even Carth realizes that this guy is a jackass.

Sounds like maybe you got what you deserved.

Hey - you weren't there. She totally over-reacted!

I'll bet.

Okay, enough screwing around.

Although I do feel a little guilty about all this. Dia's a good looking gal - it'd be a shame to kill her. Tell you what - I'll take 200 credits in exchange for lifting the bounty.

No, that's not good enough.

I was a bit hesitant to choose this option because it kinda reads like we're encouraging him to kill Dia himself, but he did say he doesn't actually want her dead.

Don't worry - I'll stick to my end of the bargain. I'll go tell Zax right now that the bounty is off the table.

That's that. We earned some light side points for our efforts, and now we just need to tell Dia the good news.

Wait a minute... I know! I don't have many credits, but there is something I can give you. It's a family heirloom. It's not much, but it's something.

We could refuse the reward for maximum light side points, but that's dumb.

Err, thanks. It'd help if the game told us what the item we got actually is.

Okay then. That's not too bad, let's visit the workbench and upgrade our stuff.

That takes care of the upgrades. Next stop, the other apartment building in the Lower City.

Same deal as last time - a small army of Vulkars itching for a fight. Thankfully, we can repair this sentry droid to even the odds a little.

After murdering some more Vulkars, we gain another level and find a heavy blaster, which'll be a nice upgrade over our basic blaster pistol.

We'll invest the points as we've been doing thus far. I tend to alternate between Computer Use and Repair to keep them roughly equal. They'll eventually become class skills, so it'll only take one point per rank.

A bigger sneak attack bonus is always appreciated, even though we haven't really been stunning enemies all that much so far.

That should make dual-wielding actually worth using.

We're also well on our way towards the light side of the Force.

Yep, dual-wielding is actually a viable option now because we're actually able to hit things other than our own leg. We'll stick with double blasters for now.

That looks interesting, let's see what it's about.

The desk in the corner has a datapad containing the following message:

The Twisted Rancor Trio posted:

Guts and Glory: A Chronicle of The Amazing Story of The Twisted Rancor Trio
By Gilthos Uksaris
(A work in progress)

The origins of what would eventually become the most famous band in the galaxy are surprisingly humble. The brains behind the group, manager Gilthos Uksaris, founded the Trio to earn a date with a young singer named Elinda.

The ploy worked, and Elinda became the first member of the band. Gilthos scrambled to find musicians to back her, and signed a Bith named Ujaa to be the lead musician. Soon after that he signed Ujaa's brother Ujii to complete the trio.

The band struggled at first. Elinda was a fantastic singer, but Ujaa wasn't much of a musician. When Elinda threatened to quit, Gilthos fired Ujaa and signed another Bith named Loopa.
Of course this didn't go over well with Ujaa's brother, and Ujii quit. Fortunately, Loopa knew another musician named Fodo, who joined to replace Ujii.

Led by Elinda's singing, the second incarnation of The Twisted Rancor Trio became quite popular on their home world of Taris, eventually attracting the attention of local legitimate businessman Davik Kang.

Davik asked Gilthos to bring his group in for a command performance. Gilthos agreed, realizing this could be the band's big break. Unfortunately, Elinda had heard certain unsubstantiated rumors about Davik Kang and his connections to the Exchange. Fearing for her life, she refused to go to his estate to perform.

Many felt that without Elinda's singing the band would crumble. But Gilthos came up with a brilliant plan to save the group by hiring Elinda's sister, Ashana, as the new lead singer on the eve of their scheduled appearance at Davik's estate.

Gilthos knew he was taking a risk. If Ashana couldn't perform at Elinda's level, Davik's infamous temper could have dire consequences for the entire band. However, if Ashana could match her sister's performance then Davik was likely to sign the band to a big time touring contract.

It was a risk, but The Twisted Rancor Trio was founded on "Guts and Glory".

[There are no further entries.]

Doesn't seem like Guts and Glory was quite enough in the end, sadly.

The strongbox in the center of the room will open if you activate the holograms in a certain order. The names on the holograms match the band members in the story, so all you need to do is activate each hologram in the order the corresponding band members are mentioned. If you activate them in the wrong order once, nothing will happen, but if you screw up again the entire room will blow up and take you with it.

The correct order is of course Elinda, Ujaa, Ujii, Loopa, Fodo, Ashana.

For solving the Twisted Rancor Trio puzzle, we earn a few credits and the Echani Fiber Armor.

The Echani Fiber Armor has a defense bonus of 5 and max DEX bonus of +5 and can be upgraded, making it the best armor we can get for free for quite some time.

Behind a locked door, we encounter this Twi'lek who is understandably not happy about us breaking into his apartment.

None of your business. Just turn around and go back the way you came, if you know what's good for you.

[Persuade] Are you in some sort of trouble? Do you want to talk about it?

[Success] I... I guess I could tell you. You'll probably find out on your own eventually, anyway. Zax is giving his bounties away like candy, or so I hear.

My testimony helped put some of the biggest criminals on Taris away for life. But Davik didn't like seeing his friends go down, so now he's got a bounty on my head.

So yeah, this is Matrik, one of the bounty targets. We know his story and don't have any plans to haul him in, so let's see what else we can do.

Maybe you could fake your own death?

I've already thought of that. I even came up with a plan of how to do it. But I can't pull it off while I'm holed up in here.

Tell me your plan and I might help you out.

The trick is getting Davik to buy it when there's no body found at the scene. If it looks like I died in a massive explosion, he won't be suspicious when my corpse never turns up. If I had an accomplice go back and tell Davik that they were the one who set off the explosion to eliminate me, I think I'd be home free. I have some demolitions experience from my own days in the Exchange so I could set it all up. But I'd need to get my hands on a permacrete detonator.

As luck would have it, we just happen to be carrying a permacrete detonator with us. The Force truly works in mysterious ways.

Okay, the timer's set! Now let's get out of here before it blows!

That explosion was disappointing.

Okay, that's better, even if we can barely see it as the screen is fading to black.

There was a footlocker with random contents in the apartment that we could've looted before giving Matrik the detonator, but I doubt it had anything particularly useful.

So good luck, and goodbye. Now that I'm 'dead' I can't be seen wandering the streets.

What are the odds he'll run smack into one of Davik's bounty hunters the instant he exits the apartments?

That apartment is going to need a bit of work. Not our problem, though.

Oh, wonderful.

Ha! Can't say I've met a woman quite like you before. You're really something. I just don't trust easily, and for good reasons... which are my own.

Ahhh, drat it. I suppose I won't get any rest until I talk, will I? You want to know why I don't trust anyone? Fine, here goes. Five years ago the Jedi had just finished the war with the Mandalorians. Revan and Malak were heroes. I was drat proud to have served in their fleet. It was completely unexpected when they turned on us, invading the Republic while we were still weak. Nobody knew what to think, least of all me. Our heroes had become brutal, conquering Sith... and we were all but helpless before them. Think about it... if you can't even trust the best of the Jedi, who can you trust?

What do I have to do with Malak and Revan?

It... it's not that. It's... That's not what I mean. There were... there were others. Good, solid, trusted men who joined them. Malak and Revan and the Sith deserve to die for what they've done... but the ones who fled the Republic and joined them are even worse. The dark side has nothing to do with why they joined with the Sith. They deserve no mercy!

I haven't joined the Sith, Carth.

It's just... never mind. Let's just continue with what we were doing. I'd rather not talk about it.

Well, we've finally learned something about Carth's past and ongoing trust issues. I can see that being very rough on him, his friends and comrades from the Republic joining up with Revan and Malak and the Sith.

Anyway, we're done with the east apartments, so let's go tell Zax that Matrik is dead.

It's good Matrik's dead but maybe you went overboard, human. Next time use a blaster, not a bomb! Bombs are messy. But at least the job is done.

Erm, sure. That was easier than expected.

We're almost done in the Lower City, so let's upgrade our armor with some parts we found in the apartments.

After that, we're finally ready to head down to the deepest and darkest parts of Taris.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 1, 2020

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
That headgear makes us look like Lando's number two guy from Empire Strikes Back. I always thought that guy was pretty cool.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

achtungnight posted:

That headgear makes us look like Lando's number two guy from Empire Strikes Back. I always thought that guy was pretty cool.
Yeah, Lobot. I think his headgear was actually supposed to be cybernetic part of some sort.

Also, I just realized that I hosed up the majority of the images in these updates when I was cropping and resizing them. Originally, I was cropping them to 1440x1080 and then resizing to 900px wide, but that left a vertical line a couple of pixels wide at each side of the image so I tried to get rid of that. Because I'm an idiot, I accidentally set the new crop settings at 1396x1080 as my brain was thinking the original crop was 1400 instead of 1440 horizontal pixels. The end result is that the images are cropped slightly too much now. The good news is that you don't actually lose any important information and the aspect ratio doesn't get stretched, so I'll leave the images as they are now and will fix the error in the next update!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 1, 2020

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
It okay to talk about alternate ways to go about things in some of the missions completed so far in non spoiler ways?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

wedgekree posted:

It okay to talk about alternate ways to go about things in some of the missions completed so far in non spoiler ways?
Sure, go ahead.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Lobot's headgear was part of his cybernetic brain upgrade.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

When I played this many years ago, I knew about the prestige class thing, and saved my levels for that. I don't think I leveled past 3, even though I had enough XP to go right to 7. It made some of this stuff kind of hard, as you can imagine.

It's also kind of a fucker because there are certain expectations that come with the prestige classes, so if you build to be the best smooth-talking gunslinger you can be, and it turns out that whoops your stat layout is garbage for all the prestige classes, sucks to be you, do Taris again or just deal with it.

Also, of no real relevance to the subject immediately at hand, but I hope that you bench Carth as soon as you have enough people that you can, and then let that choady motherfucker ride the pine for the rest of the game.

I assume that Pazaak is being skipped for reasons of dullness, but as I recall, you can make some pretty good money with it once you get the good cards. Getting the good cards takes a while, though, and by the time you have those and don't need to rely on savescumming, the money that Pazaak hustling brings in is kind of a pittance.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

In case anyone is wondering why cart has a reputation for constantly interrupting you looking like he wants to talk, here's why.

The way companion dialogue works is that every time you level up you unlock the next tier of dialogue with your party members. Carth recruits himself right at the start when levels are everywhere and he's your ONLY party member for hours, so theres nothing to break up the deluge of new conversations with him.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Oof, I remember trying to save all of my levels on Taris for one run of this, but wound up having to give in a few dungeons from now when it turned out that having my party effectively down a person wasn’t particularly viable for some spots.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I did it once. It involved a staggering number of grenades.

Not worth it, really.

Also just for fun count how many times Gadon reassures you that with the papers you don’t need the uniforms. I get it already, Gadon!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Saving all levels (XL2 is mandatory) isn't _too_ bad except for the arena, but it's still not really worth it. I usually went to 4-5 in the basic, sometimes 7 for Scoundrel.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I use a save editor to hack the prestige classes away because I ain't no wuss that needs these fancy classes to save the galaxy like you kids these days. Back in my day we walked to coruscant. Uphill both ways. In a meteor storm.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Actually, mechanics question: can you potentially lose out on an attribute point if you unlock your prestige class at a weird level? I know D&D 5th usually doles them out every 4 levels in a class, but I don’t know off-hand how frequently you get your points in this system.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Regalingualius posted:

Actually, mechanics question: can you potentially lose out on an attribute point if you unlock your prestige class at a weird level? I know D&D 5th usually doles them out every 4 levels in a class, but I don’t know off-hand how frequently you get your points in this system.

Nah, in 3rd Ed you get them every 4 character levels, no matter what classes you have.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

FoolyCharged posted:

In case anyone is wondering why cart has a reputation for constantly interrupting you looking like he wants to talk, here's why.

The way companion dialogue works is that every time you level up you unlock the next tier of dialogue with your party members. Carth recruits himself right at the start when levels are everywhere and he's your ONLY party member for hours, so theres nothing to break up the deluge of new conversations with him.

The game really is very blunt about it- HEY SHITHEAD, YOUR OBNOXIOUS FRIEND NEEDS THERAPY AGAIN! I think the devs expected this would be a lot of of players' first RPG, so they went out of their way to make things accessible. Same with the simplified skills/feats/combat system, the generally-forgiving difficulty, and the straightforward writing. Seriously, everyone comes across as very direct in their conversations. It feels kinda stilted, but at least it's clear!

Got a few chuckles out of some of the dialogue options, too: a.) [Persuade] Maybe I can help! or b.) Tell me what I want to know or I'll end your problems- permanently! It would have been perfectly at home in a Bethesda game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

...you know, maybe that really would explain some things. I remember not doing much of anything but spamming Critical Strike my first time playing through as a kid who had no clue what all of the feats and skills did, and I still managed to more or less breeze my way through. Ironically, Taris was probably the only point where I faced any actually significant difficulty.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

MechaCrash posted:

Also, of no real relevance to the subject immediately at hand, but I hope that you bench Carth as soon as you have enough people that you can, and then let that choady motherfucker ride the pine for the rest of the game.

I assume that Pazaak is being skipped for reasons of dullness, but as I recall, you can make some pretty good money with it once you get the good cards. Getting the good cards takes a while, though, and by the time you have those and don't need to rely on savescumming, the money that Pazaak hustling brings in is kind of a pittance.
Carth is getting benched at the earliest opportunity, yes. I'll complete his personal sidequest, but he will absolutely not be a mainstay in the party.

As far as pazaak goes, I'm indeed skipping it because I don't care for it. Generally, I don't like any gambling minigames in RPGs and always ignore them as hard as I can. Pazaak, dice poker, gwent, Caravan, I never play any of that stuff unless I need to show it off for an LP.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

His dialogue is so ham-fisted about the dialogue-unlocking system too. Just like, mid-sentence, "I have suddenly remembered that I am TRAUMATIZED and UNWILLING TO SPEAK ABOUT MY PAST. Oh! How painful it is to reveal my dark secrets to others!" He turns to stare directly into the camera. "Note that AFTER A BRIEF INTERVAL I will SUDDENLY BE WILLING TO SPEAK ABOUT MY PAST for another thirty seconds."

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
This LP makes me want to replay KotOR 2

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The funny thing is that I feel the writing here really doesn't hold up. I didn't notice when I played it myself, and I think it's because it was a new system for me and the story kept getting broken up by gameplay. So I kept getting distracted.

Seeing the writing sort of just clustered like this... I dislike Carth far more now than I did when I played. Partial thing is that I played a dude, so I didn't see him be a spectacular creep. But, I'm also finding the way they separated his backstory to be utterly obnoxious now.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
One reason KOTOR was fun was that you could play and win without doing too deep a dive into the numbers. Or you could completely shatter it if you looked closely.

Unfortunately the game ramps up the difficulty simply by increasing enemy numbers. So the final fights are just wave after wave of enemies with no time to heal. The endgame of KOTOR is by far the weakest part.

I don't think that's a spoiler!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

So there are endlessly spawning enemies and you get XP for killing them - can you just hang around and level yourself up to infinity here?

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Tiggum posted:

So there are endlessly spawning enemies and you get XP for killing them - can you just hang around and level yourself up to infinity here?

The level cap is 20, iirc.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tiggum posted:

The enemies are finite even if they seem they aren't, theres level scaling, and you ram the level cap before end game anyways so that's not really a thing.

Plus if it were, with how companion dialogue advances on player level up, it would probably lock you out of side missions to do that.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the Vulkars spawn endlessly, there's just a couple of points in the Lower City where the game spawns a group or two of reinforcements and they'll stop coming once you kill them all.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Xarn posted:

This LP makes me want to replay KotOR 2

God I forgot how much certain force powers were broken.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

SoundwaveAU posted:

The level cap is 20, iirc.
Yeah, level cap is 20 and it's fairly well positioned. There's maybe 22 levels worth of XP in the game at a guess, and by a "normal" playthrough you get roughly enough to cap on the last map or so, not far from the final confrontation.

Xarn posted:

God I forgot how much certain force powers were broken.
KOTOR2 really did a solid to force powers, given how disadvantaged they were to lightsabers in 1. Force lightning literally instakilling everything with the correct and fairy intuitive builds? Yes please.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Force powers did get more broken in the comics and movies. Lightning taking down entire star ships? Move a moon with telekinesis? Did you play The Force Unleashed?

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Depending on how deep you were willing to dig into EU novels you could find all sorts of stupid power creep or other assorted dumbness (lightwhips lmao). The Force Unleashed was just silly fun tho, it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I remember when lightsaber fights were mostly just movie swordfights with a few cool magic powers and Jedi were just lucky, perceptive, and had some telekinesis and tricks.

Vader didn't need to be exploding Star Destroyers with his mind to seem like the scariest dude in the galaxy.