Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Judgement posted:

Admittedly, I only saw the movie the one time, so I might be completely misremembering, but wasn't it shown at the very end that several of them already had made it to other locations? Like there were cuts to the SSDs exploding over other planets just to really hammer in the "No really this time it's ALL OVER when the emperor dies"? So were those other ships just kind of..hanging out there and not destroying their assigned planet? Because with the entire Lando fleet at Exegol there wouldn't really have been anything stopping them. Trying to remember any details hurts.

I think it was that the resistance pilots had killed the Destroyers by shooting the big Death Star cannons on their underside, and then once they leave the battle they get the word out to the rest of the galaxy that they have to target the cannons? Am I way off on that? I remember Lando or Poe saying a line that indicated that towards the end, similar to the ending of Independence day where they're like "we know how to takeem down, get the word out...."

Or not, the whole thing really is a blur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ewoks watching victorious libs suicide bombing fascists for some reason: This kicks rear end

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Basebf555 posted:

I think it was that the resistance pilots had killed the Destroyers by shooting the big Death Star cannons on their underside, and then once they leave the battle they get the word out to the rest of the galaxy that they have to target the cannons? Am I way off on that? I remember Lando or Poe saying a line that indicated that towards the end, similar to the ending of Independence day where they're like "we know how to takeem down, get the word out...."

You're thinking of Independence Day

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

I believe those were First Order star destroyers. Remember that the First Order had enough ships to control the entire galaxy, even though all we see is one shipful of admirals bouncing around.

I really hated the hyperskip thing.

"Flying through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops back home, boy. It's EASIER WHEEEEEEEEEE"

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I guess a strategy of shooting the giant hanging dongs on the undersides of the destroyers wouldn't be too much different from the previously established method of easily destroying capital ships by flying up really close and blasting the tiny little command bridge a few times.

As a Huge Old Nerd, back when TFA first came out I can remember getting into a petty nerd huff over how that film seemed to play so fast and loose with travel time and the mechanics of hyperspace. All my Star Wars RPG material, now completely contradicted! So then in this one they introduce light speed skipping, as a direct and personal attack to me, specifically.

VoidTek fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 3, 2020

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

pospysyl posted:

I figured those were regular star destroyers just patrolling because "the First Order reigns." No idea why they blew up at the end, though.

The rebels said something about "people are rising up all over the galaxy" iirc

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

kidkissinger posted:

The First Order are the aliens and the Resistance are Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum, but instead of infecting the aliens their virus is hope and it infects the galaxy

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

The people always had the ability to destroy the fascist super power that was blowing up their planets, but it took Lando Calrissian's winning smile for them to finally believe it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

kidkissinger posted:

Yea I know that's what happened in Independence Day but I remember having that exact thought in the theater, I was like "huh, this is just like Independence Day".

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Space Fish posted:

Apologies if this has come up before, but how many takebacks are there in TROS? Specifically, within the confines of TROS itself, and not taking back from Last Jedi or elsewhere. Not even in a "subversive" way, but just stepping back what could have been an interesting or at least influential consequence for the sake of maintaining TROS's theme-park meaninglessness. For instance:

-Chewie dies on a transport - nevermind, different transport! Even if other characters watched him get on that transport and we never saw another one.
-C-3PO has his memory erased - nevermind, R2 kept a backup! And nobody else thought to make one?
-Leia uses her remaining life energy to help Rey fight Kylo - nevermind, she doesn't fade into Jedi Valhalla until much later so that Maz can smile down at her.
-There's only one Wayfinder and Kylo destroys it to force Rey closer - nevermind, there was a second one.
-The Holdo Manever's effectiveness is too rare to risk as a regular military tactic - nevermind, it works above Endor.
-Nü Sheev will use the Final Order fleet to take out the remaining three planets that could stand against him... but he doesn't want any of them to leave the driveway without GPS activated, even though they could just agree to meet up at Tattooine or whatever afterward. (less of a takeback, but still feels contradictory)

Separately, I can't help but laugh at how smugly TROS whines about TLJ. "Guess I'll just exile myself to an island and never help anyone again because good intentions are bullshit, that was Luke's parting lesson and nothing else, gently caress you Rian, heroes should beat up bad guys and smile more."
Chris Terrio, off to the side: "Oh, I listened the first time."

Poe’s girlfriend gives up her only shot to get off the planet, the planet explodes, and it turns out she got off

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

No Mods No Masters posted:

Miniscule brain: palpatine was finally destroyed by rey

Medium brain: palpatine possessed rey

Large brain: palpatine was always already rey

1000 generations of Sith inhabited Palpatine's body and Rey highlander'd him

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

No Mods No Masters posted:

Ewoks watching victorious libs suicide bombing fascists for some reason: This kicks rear end

And then the SDSD drop onto the surface of the planet, killing all life on it

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

AdmiralViscen posted:

Poe’s girlfriend gives up her only shot to get off the planet, the planet explodes, and it turns out she got off

And she escaped the planet too.

Heyo!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Basebf555 posted:

I know it's nerdy as hell but that hyperspace skipping thing was extremely galling and felt to me like a slap in the face of basically the entirety of Star Wars up to that point.

I took that entire sequence as a slap at the plot of Last Jedi being about how much gas they have left

"Oh no tie fighters! Lets jump to hyperspace a bunch and then fly back home with no mention at all of fuel in a space adventure movie! Look how much we dont care how much fuel the millennium falcon has left!"

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Apologies if this has come up before, but how many takebacks are there in TROS? Specifically, within the confines of TROS itself, and not taking back from Last Jedi or elsewhere. Not even in a "subversive" way, but just stepping back what could have been an interesting or at least influential consequence for the sake of maintaining TROS's theme-park meaninglessness. For instance:

-Chewie dies on a transport - nevermind, different transport! Even if other characters watched him get on that transport and we never saw another one.
-C-3PO has his memory erased - nevermind, R2 kept a backup! And nobody else thought to make one?
-Leia uses her remaining life energy to help Rey fight Kylo - nevermind, she doesn't fade into Jedi Valhalla until much later so that Maz can smile down at her.
-There's only one Wayfinder and Kylo destroys it to force Rey closer - nevermind, there was a second one.
-The Holdo Manever's effectiveness is too rare to risk as a regular military tactic - nevermind, it works above Endor.
-Nü Sheev will use the Final Order fleet to take out the remaining three planets that could stand against him... but he doesn't want any of them to leave the driveway without GPS activated, even though they could just agree to meet up at Tattooine or whatever afterward. (less of a takeback, but still feels contradictory)

Separately, I can't help but laugh at how smugly TROS whines about TLJ. "Guess I'll just exile myself to an island and never help anyone again because good intentions are bullshit, that was Luke's parting lesson and nothing else, gently caress you Rian, heroes should beat up bad guys and smile more."
Chris Terrio, off to the side: "Oh, I listened the first time."

Kylo fake dies like 4 or 5 times.

- spaceship crash after Rey slices it (seriously what was the point of this scene other than a trailer shot)
- Rey stab
- thrown down a hole
- comes back up, dies again
- revived, but then immediately dies after healing rey in one of the dumbest scenes I’ve ever watched in a theatre

I probably hosed this list up but still

Edit: also to your last point I thought Kylo putting the helmet back together was an extremely salty swipe at Rian Johnson. Like JJ knew the movie was poo poo and was already making excuses for it.

Starks fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 3, 2020

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Hobo Clown posted:

The people always had the ability to destroy the fascist super power that was blowing up their planets, but it took Lando Calrissian's winning smile for them to finally believe it

To be honest this part was fairly believeable

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Starks posted:

I thought Kylo putting the helmet back together was an extremely salty swipe at Rian Johnson. Like JJ knew the movie was poo poo and was already making excuses for it.
This would have made sense if he was rejoining the Knights of Ren, if that meant anything at all, but it never did.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Judgement posted:

I guess a strategy of shooting the giant hanging dongs on the undersides of the destroyers wouldn't be too much different from the previously established method of easily destroying capital ships by flying up really close and blasting the tiny little command bridge a few times.

Yeah but before you could blow up the bridge that way you had to destroy the pair of balls on the top of it to bring down the shields.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Basebf555 posted:

https://twitter.com/IsRexInsane/status/1208105311925686272

I saw that vid earlier today and it pretty much sums up the last fight of TROS to me

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halloween Jack posted:

To that you must add the plot points that were implied to be meaningful and then just go nowhere, like the Knights of Ren being nothing. Solo was full of that sort of thing.

The Knights Of Ren are, collectively, the leadership of the First Order. They don’t have any action scenes because their role in the film is to piss off Hux with their shithead attitudes (goofy costumes, rolling coal, etc.) - leading him to become THE SPY.

RE: other points raised:

-Chewbacca does die, metaphorically, and the characters must rescue him from the afterlife. That’s why we‘re clearly shown that he’s dead. The image of Rey blasting the ship in an effort to grab it also hints towards the truth that she killed her parents.

-C3PO also dies, permanently, and is replaced with a third version. This is seemingly related to how Palpatine survives: the cult planet recovered the body and then uploaded a copy of his brain into it. It’s also related to how Leia‘s dying act is to brainwash Kylo Ren into becoming Ben Solo.

-As noted above, Leia’s body persists because her mind is still alive inside Kylo, evidently puppeteering him.

-The stuff with the Death Ship GPSes was convoluted, but the basic idea (as I understood it) is that the baddies required the signal in order to navigate their way in and out of Hell World. Destroying the antenna would therefore trap the enemies in Hell.

-Hyperjumping is actually a fun idea to show how things have changed since Episode 6, and it’s also an obvious solution to the “hyperspace tracking” thing (if you want to recognize the previous films). The thing to keep in mind is that Poe is deliberately leading the fighters on a pre-planned route through the most dangerous areas he knows.

Judgement posted:

Admittedly, I only saw the movie the one time, so I might be completely misremembering, but wasn't it shown at the very end that several of them already had made it to other locations

As someone else noted earlier, the people of the Galaxy absolutely love The First Order and hate Palpatine. After it’s revealed that the Knights Of Ren have allied with an undead Palpatine, the entire population immediately turns against the First Order leadership and crushes them. That’s the montage at the end of the film.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Starks posted:

also to your last point I thought Kylo putting the helmet back together was an extremely salty swipe at Rian Johnson. Like JJ knew the movie was poo poo and was already making excuses for it.
more likely they dont have rights to Adam Driver's face for the merchandise. I dont remember seeing his face on any merch, just the helmet.

Also, different looking helmet = more merch with the new helmet

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

The Shame Boy posted:

I took that entire sequence as a slap at the plot of Last Jedi being about how much gas they have left

"Oh no tie fighters! Lets jump to hyperspace a bunch and then fly back home with no mention at all of fuel in a space adventure movie! Look how much we dont care how much fuel the millennium falcon has left!"

Or, as I saw someone suggest in one of the numerous Star Wars threads, TLJ's "tracking through hyperspace" plot point.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As someone else noted earlier, the people of the Galaxy absolutely love The First Order and hate Palpatine. After it’s revealed that the Knights Of Ren have allied with an undead Palpatine, the entire population immediately turns against the First Order leadership and crushes them. That’s the montage at the end of the film.

There's also the question of the "Lando Factor". Leia has spent thirty years failing to get anyone to even give her the time of day and all she has ever accomplished since RotJ is getting most of her private militia killed in embarrassing defeats. Now here comes Lando fresh out of decades living off the grid in anonymous quasi-exile. In a few hours he has gained control over the largest armed force in galactic history based on nothing more than his name. An entire galaxy has engaged in a massive armed undertaking and overthrown the reigning government for no other reason than "Lando asked me to". Evidently Lando was part of some populist wing of the Rebellion that was sidelined after the war, and after being absent (and thus avoiding any blame) for the utter failure of the New Republic he now effortlessly slides back into public life.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Starting the petition to let Rian re-film Episode 9 and make it good like Episode 8

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd be shocked if there weren't already a petition like that with 20,000 signatures so far.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I hope ben solos soul did go into Rey and thats why he wasnt there at the end and then in the next sequel trilogy Rey immaculately conceives a baby ben swolo.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

galagazombie posted:

In a few hours he has gained control over the largest armed force in galactic history based on nothing more than his name. An entire galaxy has engaged in a massive armed undertaking and overthrown the reigning government for no other reason than "Lando asked me to".

Right, so the movie's not totally unrealistic

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Roman posted:

more likely they dont have rights to Adam Driver's face for the merchandise. I dont remember seeing his face on any merch, just the helmet.

This is likely false since I bought my ex wife a Kylo Ren coloring book from Five Below for Christmas. His face is on it.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Roman posted:

I think it's both. The helmet smashing was sort of Rian playing with the universe and calling JJ's set-up dumb. Kylo is not a consistent character, because Rian tried to actually give him a character arc instead of what JJ was doing. I mean, if you think about what Kylo was saying in TFA, he was essentially a Darth Vader cosplayer, the equivalent of becoming an Anime Nazi because your grandfather was Goebbels. Rian having him smash the helmet was supposed to be a realization of how childish and stupid he had been, a stupid affectation that had no purpose because he wasn't scarred or crippled like Anakin was. But nope, gotta put it back together cause it's so bad rear end.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You can't put a face that weird on just any merch, it would traumatize the children

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I've always felt like Kylo Ren in TFA was a focus-grouped villain meant to appeal to Disney's target families... he's an over-privileged suburban white kid who's throwing a temper tantrum because he didn't get the toy or video game that he wanted. (How do I know? I used to be just that kind of kid!) Much more relatable, and much less intimidating (and potentially nightmare-inducing) than imposing figures like Darth Vader or Darth Maul.

I enjoyed Driver's performance much more in Rise of Skywalker than I had in either of the prior two movies, but I can also recognize it as a regression to stereotypical gender roles. All of a sudden, Ren/Ben is so stoic, keeping a lid on his emotions! Rey's the one with all the passionate emotions now! Shoehorning in her relation to Palpatine is a lovely attempt to patch over that. Kylo Ren was doomed to be an inconsistent character from the start.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Plus Disney got cold feet about making the alt-right mad.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

galagazombie posted:

There's also the question of the "Lando Factor". Leia has spent thirty years failing to get anyone to even give her the time of day and all she has ever accomplished since RotJ is getting most of her private militia killed in embarrassing defeats. Now here comes Lando fresh out of decades living off the grid in anonymous quasi-exile. In a few hours he has gained control over the largest armed force in galactic history based on nothing more than his name. An entire galaxy has engaged in a massive armed undertaking and overthrown the reigning government for no other reason than "Lando asked me to". Evidently Lando was part of some populist wing of the Rebellion that was sidelined after the war, and after being absent (and thus avoiding any blame) for the utter failure of the New Republic he now effortlessly slides back into public life.

i can't believe lando is Jeb!

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

feedmyleg posted:

I'd be shocked if there weren't already a petition like that with 20,000 signatures so far.

I'll start it if it's not already there. Rian did so well inheriting garbage from JJ's TFA, to see it pissed on by TROS makes me weep.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Hot take: All 3 of the sequels are bad

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

istewart posted:

I've always felt like Kylo Ren in TFA was a focus-grouped villain meant to appeal to Disney's target families... he's an over-privileged suburban white kid who's throwing a temper tantrum because he didn't get the toy or video game that he wanted. (How do I know? I used to be just that kind of kid!) Much more relatable, and much less intimidating (and potentially nightmare-inducing) than imposing figures like Darth Vader or Darth Maul.

well, thanks for being upfront in letting us know this post is just projection on your part instead of leaving it to us to suss it out

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Just Chamber posted:

Hot take: All 3 of the sequels are bad

in different ways and in varying degrees

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

General Dog posted:

I was going to say they could've been past coordinates that were already stored, but they wouldn't have had previously entered coordinates that landed them in-atmosphere.

The point is that hyperdrive doesn't work in a gravity well. The Empire used Interdictor Cruiser to generate artifical gravity mass shadow to yank ships out of hyperspace to search, board or destroy. The problem here is that the Falcon is doing something established as impossible.

It's like if during the "The can fly now?" bit Finn had replied, "So can I!" flapped his arms like an epileptic chicken and taken off after the jet-pack stormtroopers.

And it works because gently caress physics, it's coooooooooooool.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
That's stupid. Everywhere in is the gravity well of something. I declare hyperdrive NOT CANON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Everyone posted:

And it works because gently caress physics, it's coooooooooooool.

except it isn't even, really. it's completely pointless.