Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I should play Sekiro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m not a masochist so I will never play this game but I’m glad so many people enjoy it!!!

CONGRATS DISCO ELYSIUM SAGOTY2K19

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Rarity posted:

I hope you've learnt your lesson, always listen to your #1 scoopsgal :hai:

I always believe the #1 scoopsgal :hai:

Tonight (and tomorrow night) is gonna be so much fun.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:f5:

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Playing Sekiro right now and can't wait for it to place 61 in the 2020 thread because me and the two other goons who haven't picked it up on launch are giving it 8 points each after Cyberpunk and Monster Hunter

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Entenzahn posted:

Playing Sekiro right now and can't wait for it to place 61 in the 2020 thread because me and the two other goons who haven't picked it up on launch are giving it 8 points each after Cyberpunk and Monster Hunter

some rear end in a top hat monkey kept killing me so I put the game down for a bit expecting to come back to it but I never did, I'll probably start it over early this year!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sekiro owns but Disco Elysium was the live birth video of a new tier of videogame.

Thank you for this thread Rarity, I thought the OP was already above and beyond and was happy to wait for a single compiled list. Dramatic specific posts for each entry and winner is double above and beyond. Rarity POTY2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kaboobi posted:

some rear end in a top hat monkey kept killing me so I put the game down for a bit expecting to come back to it but I never did, I'll probably start it over early this year!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Each and every one of you deserves a big round of applause for making it this far. We’re just about to dive into your #1 game of 2019 but before we do we must award a few extra prizes. First up is the developer prize for Most Games Listed which goes to Nintendo for the second year in a row with 17 separate entries! Next up is the title of Best Developer which goes to the developer that scored the most points across all of its games. And this award goes to ZA/UM who got all of their points from… well, we’ll get to that in a mo.

There are also a couple of vital goon awards that we must give out. The first title is 2019’s Best Clairvoyant which we award to the goon who came closest to selecting your final top 10. And this award goes to dreamless who correctly named 8 of the top 10! Astonishing! And as always we also award 2019’s Biggest Hipster which is given to the goon who ignored the most of this year’s beloved offerings. This year the award for the 2nd straight year in a row goes to Rarity. Again? All right, some of y’all seriously need to join me in playing older games.

But that’s quite enough about that. All we have to left to do is to celebrate Something Awful’s Game of the Year for 2019. Although in some sense maybe the real Game of the Year was the friends we made along the way. In some sense, maybe but in another much more real sense it was this.

Settle in for these quotes, folks. We got a lot of them.

MMF Freeway posted:

The complete package.

Star posted:

So engrossing.

jusion posted:

Beyond everything else out there.

Accordion Man posted:

The new gold standard.

lordfrikk posted:

This game took the cake this year.

Synthbuttrange posted:

The best thing I've played all year.

Fentry posted:

Game of the Year, Game of the Decade, Game of the Century.

Roobanguy posted:

I still can't stop thinking about it.

BabyRyoga posted:

This is a game with the power to fill voids.

ConfusedPig posted:

Half of this dead gay comedy forum won't shut up about this game.

Jerusalem posted:

The game has been talked up to death in this thread, in the forum as a whole, and probably across most of SomethingAwful.

ChrisBTY posted:

A triumph of interweaving storytelling and gameplay.

Real hurthling! posted:

A new level of interactive storytelling.

Palpek posted:

A new milestone in game writing.

Entenzahn posted:

The writing rules so goddamn hard.

Xarbala posted:

An absolute powerhouse of fantastic writing.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Best, most reactive game writing ever. Like straight up.

KissOfTheSpiderMan posted:

Hopefully this inspires a wave of similar innovative story heavy games.

PunkBoy posted:

Brilliant writing, memorable characters and a fascinating world come together to form one of the best games I’ve ever played, indie or otherwise.

Zaphod42 posted:

Mature in the adult sense, not in the "tits and blood" sense.

xeria posted:

A style that immediately immerses you in the world and its characters from the moment you awaken.

Microcline posted:

What if Planescape: Torment had mechanics that supported its gameplay instead of hand-me-downs from a 1980s tabletop wargame?

Songbearer posted:

Even if it's not okay and you're not okay and everyone is hosed, you'll want to know everything anyway. Play it.

Kay Kessler posted:

You ever find a game that's something that you've always wanted?

Ferrosol posted:

It was the game I've always wanted that I never would have asked for.

wuggles posted:

A video game for me and just me, but you can play it too.

Extortionist posted:

I hope it ends up being as revolutionary as it feels.

dreamless posted:

If you were a cop, just how much of a sorry, boring pinko would you be?

DMCrimson posted:

I’m six hours in and haven’t progressed much (except become infatuated with communist thoughts).

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Shout out to Marx and Engels.

Corte posted:

This game broke me.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

If I could make gently caress with a video game it'd probably be this one.

1. DISCO ELYSIUM (ZA/UM)
532 points, listed 59 times, #1 spot 30 times

:toot: BEST INDIE GAME :toot:
:toot: BEST RPG :toot:
:toot: HIGHEST AVERAGE :toot:
:toot: MOST LISTED :toot:
:toot: MOST #1 SPOTS
:toot:

It wasn’t even close. In fact, I don’t think I can overstate how not close it was. Disco Elysium topped the rankings after the first handful of posts and from that point on it was never in any danger of losing its lead. Even though it was by far the most common game to be in people’s lists it still had the highest average score of any game in our ranking and was the only game with an average score above 9. If you were to ignore all the times that Disco Elysium wasn’t listed in first place and just count those points it would have still come second. This was a behemoth of a game and in one of the stiffest fields of games we’ve seen this generation it still demolished the competition.

Well, that’s it, friends. We’re all done here. Disco Elysium is a very well deserved pick as your #1 game of 2019 and all that’s left for me to do is leave you with one final thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnaL8PuYWyk

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

Kaboobi posted:

I had the same thing happen to me but if you go with the Heavy Bowg oh you're talking about Sekiro nvm

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

no...no........

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can’t wait to play this loving game

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Entenzahn posted:

I played that game like a madman when it first came out, got through everything, collected all the secrets thingies and did the optional stuff and... just stalled at the very final boss. I can even get him to the final phase, but the night I played best I just couldn't do it and had to go to bed. I only ever gave it a couple stabs weeks later and was too rusty to do any better, but was still surprised how much was still committed to muscle memory. I just got further than anyone at work or my friend group, so I never had real competition to fire me up for the final hurdle. 2020 is my time to finally beat the final boss.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Sorry communist cops report in.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Rarity posted:

Can't wait to quote this post in 10 minutes

holy poo poo lol

Accordion Man posted:

Sorry communist cops report in.

hello

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

those goggles offer
+1 Visual Calculus
-1 Authority

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

I stand by my words and would still make gently caress with this video game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I can only assume that those who didn’t have Disco somewhere on their list simply hadn’t played it yet

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

DETECTIVE
ARRIVING
ON THE SCENE

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wow dat's a lotta points.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Superstar communist cop, hi

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I'm so incredibly amazed at what Disco Elysium delivered.

And I'm incredibly amazed at the quality thread Rarity delivered. The countdown hit on a day that I truly needed it, so thank you.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

God i wish my ancient piece of poo poo computer could run this stupid game!!!!!!! OH WELL!!! Can't wait till it comes to consoles and I can finally find out how it's better than Outer wilds and Sekiro somehow????

Jay Rust posted:

I can only assume that those who didn’t have Disco somewhere on their list simply hadn’t played it yet

Yup :negative:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Thank you so much Rarity! This thread was a lot of fun today.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
H... hobocop!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

h o b o c o p

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Regy Rusty posted:

God i wish my ancient piece of poo poo computer could run this stupid game!!!!!!! OH WELL!!! Can't wait till it comes to consoles and I can finally find out how it's better than Outer wilds and Sekiro somehow????

Yup :negative:

"Gonna play Disco in 2020 with gamepad support" crew checking in

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Disco Elysium is so good and with the right pitch you can get outsiders interested. I pitched the game to a friend of mine that teaches AP government, took a bit to find the right angle to sell her the game on, but between how thoughts are internalized for benefits/penalties/changes and it being a kind of aggressive political theory CYOA she decided to buy it. I really need to figure out a more concise way to explain why this game is special even if you don't gaf about videeojame.

edit: What the heck are the min requirements for DE? Seems like even a grandpas computer chould be able to play it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So as noted earlier I'm always going to win the Biggest Hipster award cause of my weird gaming habits so if I was out of contention the next person in line for the prize would have been Captain Invictus who's highest ranked pick was Indivisible at #51.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I am literally just waiting for a console release to play Disco. I will probs get it day 1 when it’s out for PS4

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Rarity posted:

:toot: BEST INDIE GAME :toot:
:toot: BEST RPG :toot:
:toot: HIGHEST AVERAGE :toot:
:toot: MOST LISTED :toot:
:toot: MOST #1 SPOTS
:toot:

In my head I pictured and heard these popping in like some kind of combo multiplier.

A huge congrats to Disco Elysium for being #1! I will admit I'm kind of heartbroken that FFXIV wasn't higher, but it still did really well.

Thank you so much Rarity for putting together such a wonderful awards show (better than the Geoffies, IMO)! I had a lot of fun following this, and I'm already looking forward to seeing what happens for the 2020 awards!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That's it for the thread then, thanks for the good time, Rarity and all voters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvHsnZzdM0Y

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Thanks Rarity for the thread again, may the Chowderman be with you.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I'm so excited for another wave of people to play Disco Elysium.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Accordion Man posted:

Thanks Rarity for the thread again, may the Chowderman be with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY8S6mF6evQ

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

This is me. See you in 2020!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I'm so excited for another wave of people to play Disco Elysium.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Thank you for the thread Rarity and thank you to all the goons whose votes have given me the one thing I needed for 2020, more games to spend my free time on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'll be honest every game on the list deserves to be and every one of them deserves to be checked out and the top ten are some real bangers

Thanks for putting all this together Rarity! I now understand why every vote needed to be accompanied by some text, otherwise how else were you gonna get blurbs