Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Pick posted:

We call that getting "Animal Crackers"'d

I follow them on Facebook and that story is a loving roller coaster of insanity.

Danny DeVito is a part of it and apparently Byron Allen or at least his company is refusing to release it despite promising they would (maybe they gave/took money or something, I don't know). It's really crazy.

I feel bad for everyone on that crew because I don't think it's coming any time soon and they really want to release the movie. They seem genuinely as upset as you'd think but they're always professional about it all instead of the usual cesspool that Facebook is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

Anastasia isn't a Disney movie, is it?

Doesn't Disney own the rights to it now that they bought Fox?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ThermoPhysical posted:

I follow them on Facebook and that story is a loving roller coaster of insanity.

Danny DeVito is a part of it and apparently Byron Allen or at least his company is refusing to release it despite promising they would (maybe they gave/took money or something, I don't know). It's really crazy.

I feel bad for everyone on that crew because I don't think it's coming any time soon and they really want to release the movie. They seem genuinely as upset as you'd think but they're always professional about it all instead of the usual cesspool that Facebook is.

It even has a trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3kUn1BmBpA

Not that it looks good, it's just so weird that they can't just release the fuckin movie!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
So apparently there's a Peter Rabbit 2 releasing this April? Unlike the first one it's not releasing under the Sony Pictures Animation label (so an inverse of what happened with the Angry Birds films)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pick posted:

It even has a trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3kUn1BmBpA

Not that it looks good, it's just so weird that they can't just release the fuckin movie!

it looks like it got a release everywhere else! it's got music by Bear McCreary! Original songs by Huey Lewis and Michael Buble! How does no distributor want to take a chance on this, or like Netflix or something?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

So apparently there's a Peter Rabbit 2 releasing this April? Unlike the first one it's not releasing under the Sony Pictures Animation label (so an inverse of what happened with the Angry Birds films)

Welp. Added to the OP.

Like Minions, I didn't know this was coming. There's been ZERO talk about it...though there's a trailer at least?

DC Murderverse posted:

it looks like it got a release everywhere else! it's got music by Bear McCreary! Original songs by Huey Lewis and Michael Buble! How does no distributor want to take a chance on this, or like Netflix or something?

Apparently, just in China and at the Annecy Festival in France.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
ok i'll just say this, i've only made it to 8:23 of bakshi lotr and when gandalf was giving the famous "one ring to rule them all" soliloquy he randomly did a dainty pirouette and i lost my poo poo

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

ThermoPhysical posted:

Welp. Added to the OP.

I guess if this is gonna keep happening lemme comb through various studios and see what they're set to release this year that isn't already in the OP:

Warner Animation Group:
Tom and Jerry (December 23, 2020): Live Action/Animation hybrid

Sony Pictures Animation:
Wish Dragon (no release date given other than "2020", originally slated for a July 26, 2019 in China but got delayed, possible that the 2020 date might be China specific): co-production with a newly minted Chinese studio Base Animation (in fact some sources indicate it's another example of "film not produced by Sony released under the label")

Disney:
The One and Only Ivan (August 12th, 2020): Live Action/CGI Hybrid

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I guess if this is gonna keep happening lemme comb through various studios and see what they're set to release this year that isn't already in the OP:

Warner Animation Group:
Tom and Jerry (December 23, 2020): Live Action/Animation hybrid

Sony Pictures Animation:
Wish Dragon (no release date given other than "2020", originally slated for a July 26, 2019 in China but got delayed, possible that the 2020 date might be China specific): co-production with a newly minted Chinese studio Base Animation (in fact some sources indicate it's another example of "film not produced by Sony released under the label")

Disney:
The One and Only Ivan (August 12th, 2020): Live Action/CGI Hybrid

For Wish Dragon, I'll just put it at the bottom of the list as just "2020" or maybe sometime after Minions 2.

Disney has too many movies coming out this year. It's honestly a little scary.

Tom and Jerry seems fun though.

EDIT: Apparently, Tom and Jerry got moved up to 2020 since ComicBook.com claimed 2021 originally back in March 2019.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 2, 2020

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DC Murderverse posted:

after years of animation nerds having to explain to people who don't pay that much attention to who produces things that, no Anastasia is not a Disney film despite looking and sounding exactly like one, the people who don't pay that much attention won in the end. just like everything else in this fuckign country

Same. What's the opposite of vindication? Where you were unequivocally, factually correct about something for years, but then the facts changed to match the misconception?

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

Same. What's the opposite of vindication? Where you were unequivocally, factually correct about something for years, but then the facts changed to match the misconception?
Getting screwed? Having the rug pulled out from under you?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Saying that Trolls are better than Zootopia, Moana, Red Turtle and Your Name is certainly an...opinion.

a correct opinion

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
why is boss baby's hair swirling in the opposite direction on the logo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Looper posted:

a correct opinion

I haven't seen the latter two, but I'd put Trolls over Moana and Zootopia, and I loved both of those.

I'd put Tangled over all of them though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sir Lemming posted:

Can just say 'Wasn't actually made by Disney'. And you can save face and be more like a human being by appending 'But they sure as hell tried to make it look like it was.'

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Macaluso posted:

Again, I just wanna shout out to the improbably good Tangled TV show.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Tangled is a movie that never aspires to be more than "not bad".

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alhazred posted:

The opening song is one of the best. I'd put it along revival era poo poo like Belle's "I hate this hick town" opener.

More to the point, it finally nailed the "like a rock/pop song, but catchy and Disney" poo poo they'd been aiming for.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

The opening song is one of the best. I'd put it along revival era poo poo like Belle's "I hate this hick town" opener.

More to the point, it finally nailed the "like a rock/pop song, but catchy and Disney" poo poo they'd been aiming for.

I didn't even remember that there was an opening song.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Naw, Tangled is great

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Alhazred posted:

I didn't even remember that there was an opening song.

"When Will My Life Begin?"

My favorite part of the song is that it starts at 7 am, she does all this stuff and then has this WTF intonation when she sings "7:15?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_AyUovLL7Q

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Naw, Tangled is great

Ok, you do you. Tangled is not a hill I care enough about to die on.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I will always die on the Tangled hill

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The deleted intro to the Tangled opening song (on the Blu-ray special features) makes it even better. Maybe it's just another case of deleted-scene-itis, but I sense it was another casualty of their fear of doing an actual princess musical at the time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I wonder if they’re quietly burying due to the fact that James Cordon has basically zero good will to his name any more? You know, on account of being a massive arsehole.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder if they’re quietly burying due to the fact that James Cordon has basically zero good will to his name any more? You know, on account of being a massive arsehole.

Is there more to this? What'd he do?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I actually saw a trailer for it, and frankly it looked pretty awful.

Granted the first movie was better than I thought it'd be but still not very great.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
CATS rocked, plebs

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Pick posted:

CATS rocked, plebs

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/nintendolife/status/1212911463733637120?s=19

While I'm not too fond of the movie's twist, I still really wanna see it. I hope it comes out soon.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://twitter.com/nintendolife/status/1212911463733637120?s=19

While I'm not too fond of the movie's twist, I still really wanna see it. I hope it comes out soon.

Is this a movie about grinding up levels by killing Slimes?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's an adaptation of Dragon Quest V. The best choice to turn into a movie.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I heard Japan wasn't so hot about it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The twist is that it's someone playing a futuristic version of DQV in VR and eventually the game gets all glitched with a virus and it plays out differently.

It's pretty disappointing that they finally do a DQ movie and didn't play it straight. Especially since being super traditional has been the series's strengths. But whatever, I'll watch it when available.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Detective No. 27 posted:

The twist is that it's someone playing a futuristic version of DQV in VR and eventually the game gets all glitched with a virus and it plays out differently.

It's pretty disappointing that they finally do a DQ movie and didn't play it straight. Especially since being super traditional has been the series's strengths. But whatever, I'll watch it when available.

:smith:

Oh well, at least they didn't do it to VIII.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Bogus Adventure posted:

:smith:

Oh well, at least they didn't do it to VIII.

or XI, but honestly they should've stuck to tradition - the classic kind of story DQ plays out doesn't get much use in the animation scene too much any more.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

if anybody is in the mood for this sort of thing, i have finished my live watch of bakshi's magnum opus

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gondor has no pants.

Gondor needs no pants.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Wait a second...I own that movie, I have seen it at least 2 or 3 times but gently caress if I can remember anything after Moria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Aces High posted:

Wait a second...I own that movie, I have seen it at least 2 or 3 times but gently caress if I can remember anything after Moria