Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Rarity posted:

This was going to be happening anyway tbh

Looking to become the number 1 horniest poster, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

pmchem posted:

Great thread. Anyone have the whole list to paste?

10. BABA IS YOU (ARVI TEIKARI)
160 points, listed 25 times, #1 spot 3 times

9. BLOODSTAINED: RITUAL OF THE NIGHT (ARTPLAY)
187 points, listed 31 times, #1 spot 1 time

8. FINAL FANTASY XIV: SHADOWBRINGERS (SQUAREENIX)
213 points, listed 24 times, #1 spot 11 times

:toot: BEST MMO :toot:

7. DEATH STRANDING (KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS)
245 points, listed 34 times, #1 spot 8 times

6. CONTROL (REMEDY)
256 points, listed 38 times, #1 spot 6 times

:toot: BEST METROIDVANIA :toot:

5. FIRE EMBLEM: THREE HOUSES (INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS)
267 points, listed 42 times, #1 spot 7 times

:toot: BEST TACTICS GAME :toot:

4. RESIDENT EVIL 2 (CAPCOM)
269 points, listed 40 times, #1 spot 5 times

:toot: BEST SURVIVAL HORROR :toot:

3. OUTER WILDS (MOBIUS)
278 points, listed 36 times, #1 spot 8 times

:toot: BEST PUZZLE GAME :toot:

2. SEKIRO: SHADOWS DIE TWICE (FROMSOFTWARE)
341 points, listed 51 times, #1 spot 7 times

:toot: BEST AAA GAME :toot:
:toot: BEST ACTION GAME :toot:

1. DISCO ELYSIUM (ZA/UM)
532 points, listed 59 times, #1 spot 30 times

:toot: BEST INDIE GAME :toot:
:toot: BEST RPG :toot:
:toot: HIGHEST AVERAGE :toot:
:toot: MOST LISTED :toot:
:toot: MOST #1 SPOTS :toot:

Post rant out of toots but you get the idea

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Sorry communist cops report in.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Accordion Man posted:

Sorry communist cops report in.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rarity posted:

Well gently caress :negative:

Congrats I guess to the new Best Game Not Released in 2019, Red Dead Redemption 2 :confuoot:

Well uh if you're doing that, RDR2 was just released on PC two months ago :shobon:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In recognition of Baba Is You making the Top 10 this year I went back to my save a couple hours in and solved a tough secret area I'd gotten stuck on. Then I found the SECOND secret area and decided this game was too hard.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I died immediately in Disco Elysium after turning on a light gave me a heart attack. I’ll get back to it someday

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well uh if you're doing that, RDR2 was just released on PC two months ago :shobon:

the list simply cannot be trusted - congratulations to judgement on winning #1

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

This was a good thread thank you Rarity

Also holy poo poo I knew DE was gonna win but the scale of that victory is surely going to itself be a record that doesn't get touched for several threads to come. Then again, who knows, it's not like anyone expected Disco Elysium would be coming out and stomping over everything else.

Apocalypse Cops report in.

DalaranJ posted:

Looking to become the number 1 horniest poster, eh?

She knows full well she doesn't stand a chance against me.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I must be the only person who played Disco Elysium and didn't put it on my list.

I'm not usually one for mob justice but let me grab my pitchfork.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm just glad Sekiro did so well. It was a beautiful, wonderful game, and I was worried it had come out early enough in the year that it would be forgotten.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Just wanna echo this was a lot of fun to follow along with! I got a big ol' backlog now.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

Well gently caress :negative:

Congrats I guess to the new Best Game Not Released in 2019, Red Dead Redemption 2 :confuoot:

*Coughs meaningfully* PC release was in November. *Coughs* WHO SAID THAT?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

thank you so much for the fun thread and countdown, rarity!! seeing all these picks was really cool, and it was also very nice that i got quoted three times :dance:

i'm glad that majin tensei is as good as re4 now :v:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Naito's gonna win at Wrestle Kingdom :colbert:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but this is the most wrong one.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Corte posted:

I'm not usually one for mob justice but let me grab my pitchfork.

Here's my review in case you are curious.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Some very affordable games in the top 10 - Outer Wilds and Baba are $15, Bloodstained is on Game Pass

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Baby Proof posted:

Some very affordable games in the top 10 - Outer Wilds and Baba are $15, Bloodstained is on Game Pass

I believe Outer Wilds is on Xbox-only Game Pass too!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jerusalem posted:

I'm just glad Sekiro did so well. It was a beautiful, wonderful game, and I was worried it had come out early enough in the year that it would be forgotten.

I legitimately think that gifs helped keep it in the consciousness throughout the year

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1115728981758742530

Edit: rope kid just retweeted that one but the one below is my favorite gamegif of 2019

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1113943818519437312

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Here's my review in case you are curious.

Seems like you gave it careful consideration and thank you for taking the time to put together a well thoughtout review. Still, up against the wall you go.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I legitimately think that gifs helped keep it in the consciousness throughout the year

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1115728981758742530

Edit: rope kid just retweeted that one but the one below is my favorite gamegif of 2019

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1113943818519437312

Sekiro has astounding animation and hitboxes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Having just finished it a moment ago I would like to edit my list to put Jedi: Fallen Order on it thanks for completely redoing the countdown as a consequence Rarity :)

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
sorry I'm still reeling over this loving quote:

welcome posted:

Prototype except good!

I feel personally attacked and I demand compensation

thanks rarity this was a pretty sweet countdown and it probably took a lot of work!

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 4, 2020

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Great thread, so much more backlog for the backlog god :shobon:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ms Adequate posted:

She knows full well she doesn't stand a chance against me.

You have not even seen my final form! :ssj:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
as the official horniest gamer, do not provoke my ire

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

What a great list fellow goons, I'm definitely picking up at least three new games based on recommendations here. Thanks for thread Rarity it was a joy to read through. I had a lot of fun slow-scrolling and trying to guess which game it was before I got to the end of the quotes.

Yay for Shadowbringers! Yay for Disco! Yay!

mistaya fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 4, 2020

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Booky posted:

thank you so much for the fun thread and countdown, rarity!! seeing all these picks was really cool, and it was also very nice that i got quoted three times :dance:

i'm glad that majin tensei is as good as re4 now :v:

four times now :v:

Thanks again, Rarity! This was so much fun!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rarity posted:

So as noted earlier I'm always going to win the Biggest Hipster award cause of my weird gaming habits so if I was out of contention the next person in line for the prize would have been Captain Invictus who's highest ranked pick was Indivisible at #51.
Yep that's me, that's what they call me!

And I don't think indivisible was a hit at all, there's basically no fanart which is usually a decent gauge of a game's popularity, especially one tailor-made for fanart like indivisible is. Like, there's not even that much fanart of Razmi, the best new character of 2019. It's such a shame, it's a wonderful game. But maybe in Cassandra-like fashion, lab zero is cursed to make wonderful games that nobody plays

Maybe after they add all the playable guest characters (shovel knight of course, shantae, a bunch of other indie darlings, I think hollow knight too) as well as the backer characters, and it comes out on switch, hopefully more people will give it a go. At least I hope folks in this thread wishlist it for pickup later, it's a wonderful game with wonderful characters, writing, voice acting, music, and megaman x-styled platforming.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I did my crappy 5am shift at work and it flew by in record time because I was so hyped to read this thread, great work Rarity :3:

My Lost Lenore for this thread is definitely Hypnospace Outlaw, even though it did well it needs an Obra Dinn style lovefest this year because it's criminally overlooked for how beautifully it handles its subject matter

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Thanks Rarity!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m really happy that I haven’t played a single one of the top 3 yet. It just means this year was really good and I have lots of games to look forward to :)

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Khanstant posted:

I played that game like a madman when it first came out, got through everything, collected all the secrets thingies and did the optional stuff and... just stalled at the very final boss. I can even get him to the final phase, but the night I played best I just couldn't do it and had to go to bed. I only ever gave it a couple stabs weeks later and was too rusty to do any better, but was still surprised how much was still committed to muscle memory. I just got further than anyone at work or my friend group, so I never had real competition to fire me up for the final hurdle. 2020 is my time to finally beat the final boss.

Yeah the last boss fight is a brick wall, really. The game kicked my rear end up and down the road but I persevered through everything it threw at me but the last boss felt so insurmountable after several playsessions of attempts I just found a trainer to slow the game speed down and cheated through it to see the ending. I really don't feel too bad about it - I get the concept but I just lacked the finesse and the punishment for not executing the fight perfectly is so severe that if I had the option to do so quickly, I'd want to restart after every mistake.

I found myself doing it for Blasphemous lately so I think my patience for punishing bosses has finally reached its peak. Hollow Knight seems like a good compromise where mechanically the bosses have a varied moveset, but they don't throw many curveballs at you when you've learned it.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Thanks Rarity for putting this thing together!

Thoughts:

-Got Sekiro last week (along with Shadow of the Tomb Raider, DMCV, and Judgment) and have been playing through it at a solid clip. Was SORELY tempted to replace my #1 (REmake 2) with it, but decided to stick to my guns :colbert: It's already a strong contender for my #1 next year, though.
-Can't wait for Disco Elysium to make it to consoles; I probably won't like it as much as other goons, but I am extremely curious about it.
-Y'all need to play Samurai Shodown.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Captain Invictus posted:

Yep that's me, that's what they call me!

And I don't think indivisible was a hit at all, there's basically no fanart which is usually a decent gauge of a game's popularity, especially one tailor-made for fanart like indivisible is. Like, there's not even that much fanart of Razmi, the best new character of 2019. It's such a shame, it's a wonderful game. But maybe in Cassandra-like fashion, lab zero is cursed to make wonderful games that nobody plays

Maybe after they add all the playable guest characters (shovel knight of course, shantae, a bunch of other indie darlings, I think hollow knight too) as well as the backer characters, and it comes out on switch, hopefully more people will give it a go. At least I hope folks in this thread wishlist it for pickup later, it's a wonderful game with wonderful characters, writing, voice acting, music, and megaman x-styled platforming.

For what it's worth your post made me put Indivisible on my soon-to-play list whereas before it wasn't even on my radar. The protagonist sounds dope and the art style is just amazing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

lordfrikk posted:

For what it's worth your post made me put Indivisible on my soon-to-play list whereas before it wasn't even on my radar. The protagonist sounds dope and the art style is just amazing.
thanks, hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Ajna is a hot mess of a person and I kinda like that about her. She's a tomboyish, impulsive meathead, and a huge fuckup, wanting to do the right thing but also constantly ruining carefully laid plans or walking into traps because she's right and nobody can tell her otherwise. The game has problems, I won't lie, but I endured them because I loved everything else about it.

It's hard to find gifs so I made one. This video has audio of the first gif and it's super good to see his reaction to the moves, but close it after he exits the training fight
https://giant.gfycat.com/OddBlaringCanadagoose.webm

also, check this music, it's the theme of Naga Rider, and is absurdly heroic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Ai-2sVh1A

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Indivisible was on my list too. Haven’t finished it yet, but great little game. Once the world map opens up how many hours would you say are left?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

wuggles posted:

Indivisible was on my list too. Haven’t finished it yet, but great little game. Once the world map opens up how many hours would you say are left?
You are about a third of the way through the game. Maybe a quarter. The character sidequests(loyalty mission style) near the end of the game, which I found mostly good even if they use existing assets, are generally great story and character building stuff and can add an extra few hours to the end of the game, so if you do those too, you're about a quarter through.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Such a fantastic thread, thanks Rarity for making it possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So what exactly IS Outer Wilds? Is there puzzles or is more just generally a walking sim? (I love walking sims). Is there a good story? Are there survival elements? (I hate survival stuff). Is it pretty linear? I prefer linear but I heard you can travel to any planet in any order. Is it long or short?

The trailer does a bad job of selling what the game actually is, but it seems to be getting rave reviews.