Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

There was an abridged version on Youtube, long ago, that made everyone do funny noises. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It was probably complete pants, but the guy making Gandalf hum purposefully while charging the camera is burnt into my memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I dunno about that video but this is my fave bakshi lotr fan work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXvXlBUOyAo

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Lol it goes from wow this artwork is trippy and cool then right into the toilet

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So why wasn't there a sequel? Apparently the movie took in 30 mil at the box office and cost 4 to make which sounds pretty good for the late 70s.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol even Ralph motherfucking Bakshi read the Tom Bombadil section and was like what is this trippy nonsense

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The orcs in this are scary as gently caress

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Mordja posted:

So why wasn't there a sequel? Apparently the movie took in 30 mil at the box office and cost 4 to make which sounds pretty good for the late 70s.

Bakshi has said it was because of a lack of funding. He struggled to secure the cash to make movies basically his entire life. Partially cause animation for adults wasn't really A Thing in the way it is now, with only a handful of studios believing it worthwhile, and the scene dominated by Disney, partially because it kinda seems like Bakshi is an "interesting" person to work with. The Rankin Bass people made a sort-of-sequel in 1980 that roughly picked up where he left off

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Rankin Bass Return of the King has the baller Orc marching song and the Witch King of Angmar is played by Skeletor.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

*makes 26 mill in profits* gosh how do I fund this

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Glenn Quebec posted:

*makes 26 mill in profits* gosh how do I fund this

the studio made 26 million, not Bakshi. which just tells the studio that jerking him around and rushing him to release an unfinished movie on a tighter budget than promised is a winning formula, which is not a precedent that appealed to Bakshi.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Studios screw creators p often and bakshi famously got absolutely ruined by almost every studio he worked for, one of the reason he quit doing stuff till Kickstarter let him self-fund there

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Well that sucks balls

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

https://vimeo.com/222200199#t=1051s

Found it.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Bakshi has said it was because of a lack of funding. He struggled to secure the cash to make movies basically his entire life. Partially cause animation for adults wasn't really A Thing in the way it is now, with only a handful of studios believing it worthwhile, and the scene dominated by Disney, partially because it kinda seems like Bakshi is an "interesting" person to work with. The Rankin Bass people made a sort-of-sequel in 1980 that roughly picked up where he left off

IIRC Bakshi worked for Disney a long time ago and honed a lot of his skill there before he got sick of it (kinda like Don Bluth and others). He certainly was an unusual guy from the little things you hear about him. In the Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat he apparently went around NYC with a tape recorder and a bottle of scotch and just had randos he met read for the dialogue.

I also read something a while ago where he was talking about all the new technology coming out (this was in the mid-aughts) and him marveling that he could now animate things on his own PC that would have taken many people and many days before. His words: "Fuckin' incredible!"
:3:

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?
Thank you for this thread. I miss the old animation styles. As a kid, I remember enjoying how they could be both beautiful and unsettling (e.g. The Last Unicorn).

Also, Aragorn fucks

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqJVNashnYQ

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

OP do Fire and Ice next

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

OP do Fire and Ice next

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Do Rock and Rule

It's not Bakshi, but it fuckin owns

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

a kitten posted:

Do Rock and Rule

I remember it fondly, if vaguely.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They've killed Fritz! Those lousy stinking yellow fairies! Those horrible atrocity-filled vermin! Those despicable animal warmongers!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
When my kid and I went to see the first installment of Jackson’s The Hobbit, we started singing the songs from the Rankin-Bass version at the appropriate times. We got a lot of middle-agers to sing along, but a bunch of crabby old farts complained to the manager, and he said he’d kick us out if we didn’t stop. New Hampshire’s a total buzzkill, but that’s another thread for another time.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
With rotoscoping do they film all of the scenes with real actors and then trace over it? That’s what Wikipedia tells me but that seems like a crazy way to make everything just cost twice as much (real life actors and then animators).

Does it produce a different effect than just animating it from the outset?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I remember watching this movie when my brain was melting from a 104 degree fever and boy howdy that was not a good time for a young child's brain memories.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Captain Beans posted:

With rotoscoping do they film all of the scenes with real actors and then trace over it? That’s what Wikipedia tells me but that seems like a crazy way to make everything just cost twice as much (real life actors and then animators).

Does it produce a different effect than just animating it from the outset?

Animation is loving expensive, to the point that it's usually cheaper to hire actors and then trace over the live footage than it is to pay animators to draw everything from scratch (which takes longer than tracing.)

It does also produce a very distinct effect, but that's usually thought of as a disadvantage because it can look very weird and off-putting if it's not done well.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

a kitten posted:

Do Rock and Rule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knENwlh0FFA

It's officially hosted on YouTube for free so you have no excuse for not watching it, there's a lot of boring padding and dumb comedy but the musical numbers performed by 80s musicians are all sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJa0Zv5gHSU

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
:stare:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
from my limited experience (i've done rotoscoping! it's hell!) i estimate the budget for this film was 50% animation, 35% horses, 10% actors' wages, and 5% drugs

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

forward-facing horses are weird

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

fauna posted:

from my limited experience (i've done rotoscoping! it's hell!) i estimate the budget for this film was 50% animation, 35% horses, 10% actors' wages, and 5% drugs

spend more on drugs

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

You only hate him because he's brown.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

You only hate him because he's brown.

I say I say that's just damned unfair

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mfw Gandalf's creaky decrepit little hard on keeps grinding and gyrating into the small of my back

Shadowfax: "I dont get no respect! No respect at all!"

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Sleeveless posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knENwlh0FFA

It's officially hosted on YouTube for free so you have no excuse for not watching it, there's a lot of boring padding and dumb comedy but the musical numbers performed by 80s musicians are all sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJa0Zv5gHSU

Hell yeah.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

well i know what i want as an avatar.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

To whoever posted the link to the overdubbed version - thanks! It's quite the mood lifter.

And they did the entire movie, which shows a lot of dedication.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

hell yea dude

This was awesome! Thanks OP :glomp:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

for gently caress's sake man, put some drat pants on

there are children watching!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That's the bottom of his well defined glute u sack-o-poo poo!!!