Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ruddiger posted:

lol if you don’t think Disney’s going to announce at least a half dozen Star Wars related projects throughout the year.

Also, way to complain and continue the conversation in the same breath. That’s not hypocritical at all, no siree.
Disney+ shows maybe. But I think they'll be quiet about new movies for at least a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FilthyImp posted:

I completely forgot about that and Evil BB8.

But I meant more the "oh yeah, we sell arms to both sides. Who do you think builds Xwings and TIE Fighters" thing.

That subplot owns

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

IUG posted:

For New Year's Eve my wife and I were watching the Indiana Jones trilogy. It's her favorite movie series and yada yada yada. I told her that my movie order changed on this rewatch to be 1,3,2, as I kindof forgot how bad Temple was.

However, she surprised me to say her list was 3,2,1. She said she can no longer get past that relationship with Marion as she was too young and taken advantage of.
:same: except maybe 2, 3, 1
I mean, Temple was always my favorite anyway, but the racism in Indiana Jones is something i definitely remembered from my childhood.
The pedophile poo poo like 20 minutes into the first one totally blindsided me and made me stop watching. "You knew what you were doing" jesus christ.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

got any sevens posted:

That subplot owns

I kinda thought it was dumb at the time, but it's the rare thing from TLJ that JJ actually doubled-down on rather than rejecting in RotS, so, yeah, I've come around on it.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Can't wait for the Baby Admiral Ackbar show!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Monglo posted:

I want to see the show where his son is on the run from bounty hunters

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Each time a new trailer for Dr. Doolittle surfaces it makes the movie look worse and worse. Now there's even a dragon.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Alhazred posted:

Each time a new trailer for Dr. Doolittle surfaces it makes the movie look worse and worse. Now there's even a dragon.

He’s gonna talk to it

Be the dragon whisperer

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
He can talk to animals because he has half of a dragon's heart in him

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
its a metaphor for heroin and dolittles addiction

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

got any sevens posted:

He can talk to animals because he has half of a dragon's heart in him

well poo poo now I just realized we need to (re)make (a) Dragonheart (sequel)

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

sean10mm posted:

Midway (2019) was an attempt to make a modern version of the Pacific war epic Midway (1976) and wound up being extremely :effort: to the point where most people seem unaware it happened at all.

DOMESTIC (48.8%)
$56,193,820
INTERNATIONAL (51.2%)
$58,896,793
WORLDWIDE
$115,090,613

Budget
$100,000,000

:flaccid:

After I made my list I looked over a few internet lists to see if I was missing anything important (that's where Rambo came from) but none of them even bothered to mention this one, a purely forgettable picture! Stuber and Fighting with my Family were on some lists, the latter I had only heard good stuff about which confused me so I left it off.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

stuber was so middling

speaking of bautista, the almost as middling but tried to be inspiring Hotel Artemis. That was certainly a movie

I wish Gotti was more spectacularly campy but ultimately was like E from Entourage directing his first book report movie

all thanks to Moviepass for letting me watch trash for pennies on the dollar

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

After I made my list I looked over a few internet lists to see if I was missing anything important (that's where Rambo came from) but none of them even bothered to mention this one, a purely forgettable picture! Stuber and Fighting with my Family were on some lists, the latter I had only heard good stuff about which confused me so I left it off.

What about Alita: Battle Angel? How did that end up doing?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Who is even giving Emmerich big budgets for movies anymore? This bombed, the ID4 sequel bombed, and I am probably forgetting some others recently

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Who is even giving Emmerich big budgets for movies anymore? This bombed, the ID4 sequel bombed, and I am probably forgetting some others recently

I know one but they wish to remain Anonymous

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

China?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FlamingLiberal posted:

He hosted the parties that Bryan Singer molested teenage boys at yet has been surprisingly lucky in not having any of the fallout related to that stick to him, so whoever is responsible for that probably.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Lets not forget that Roland Emmerich wants to do a sequel to the original Stargate film, and completely ignore the existence of the highly popular tv show that is the only reason people even remember that movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MH Knights posted:

It did meh. Not an outright failure, not a massive success either.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It did meh. Not an outright failure, not a massive success either.

The Chernobyl reactor 4 of movies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tars Tarkas posted:

Stuber and Fighting with my Family were on some lists, the latter I had only heard good stuff about which confused me so I left it off.

I saw Fighting with my Family on vacation and while it's basically a WWE puff piece I can't say anything really bad about it. Wholesome family movie that avoids easy, cliched villainy and really makes her story about her own personal struggle.

Also it was kind of funny remembering the other day why the actress who played Amy in the new Little Women seemed so familiar. She's Paige in this movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alan Smithee posted:

all thanks to Moviepass for letting me watch trash for pennies on the dollar
A thing I left behind in the last decade: MoviePass

I've had AMC Stubs A-List for a year and a few months now and I have nothing but great things to say about it. I'd recommend it to everyone who got burned by MoviePass and even those who didn't but like seeing movies in theaters.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Alita was shockingly good and I regret doubting it because of the big eyes even though the big eyes are still weird to me. The film is good enough it surpasses having comically big eyes on a main character to be a great action film with great characters and Alita outright rejecting the replacement daughter trope. It made $404 million worldwide but the budget was around $170 so that's not enough in Hollywood math.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

I've had AMC Stubs A-List for a year and a few months now and I have nothing but great things to say about it. I'd recommend it to everyone who got burned by MoviePass and even those who didn't but like seeing movies in theaters.

A list owns. It may not be as cheap but it's not a bait and switch and pays for itself after like 2 movies a month

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I wonder if the theater chains will phase out their 'movie pass' type programs now that the actual MoviePass is dead

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Rageaholic posted:

Gunna second the A-List reccomendation. Ive easily seen around $500 dollars worth of movies with it so far and Ive had it for 3 months so its only cost me around $90 bucks.

Single handedly got my rear end back in a theater on a regular basis.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

AccountSupervisor posted:

Gunna second the A-List reccomendation. Ive easily seen around $500 dollars worth of movies with it so far and Ive had it for 3 months so its only cost me around $90 bucks.

Single handedly got my rear end back in a theater on a regular basis.

YOU THIRD IT

there are weeks I don't even go

I'm honestly just throwing movies away

also there's a points system and I got nachos waiting for me

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wonder if the theater chains will phase out their 'movie pass' type programs now that the actual MoviePass is dead

I swore up and down A list wouldn't last since it had to be a loss leader for them. Alamo Drafthouse started their own program and it's waitlist now. I haven't heard anything from cinemia or whatever and couldn't tell if it's even still alive

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They need the numbers to juice figures, I bet. Can't have a year when they lose seats in butts after all.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Tars Tarkas posted:

Alita was shockingly good and I regret doubting it because of the big eyes even though the big eyes are still weird to me. The film is good enough it surpasses having comically big eyes on a main character to be a great action film with great characters and Alita outright rejecting the replacement daughter trope. It made $404 million worldwide but the budget was around $170 so that's not enough in Hollywood math.

If it were a financial “success” what lesson would they learn from it?

Not the right one I would wager. Still seems like dodgy math from a gambling addict’s mind though.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I'm on Alamo Drafthouse's movie pass and it's pretty sweet. Shame it doesn't have other benefits like a list yet.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

A list makes sense since AMC still uses your standard multiplex model where they make all their profits on the concessions anyway, and not having to drop $10 on a ticket per head means people are more willing to spend money on popcorn and soda and hotdogs, which all cost AMC fractions of a penny on the dollar.

E: like I'd bet that AMC's profits have gone up since A List was introduced, because most people only watch two or three movies a month anyway, so AMC isn't missing that much ticket revenue, and three people that come are more likely to buy concessions, as A List includes access to the fast lane.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 4, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Lobok posted:

I saw Fighting with my Family on vacation and while it's basically a WWE puff piece I can't say anything really bad about it. Wholesome family movie that avoids easy, cliched villainy and really makes her story about her own personal struggle.

Also it was kind of funny remembering the other day why the actress who played Amy in the new Little Women seemed so familiar. She's Paige in this movie.

Also the lead in Midsommar, so Florence Pugh had a good year.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Alan Smithee posted:

I swore up and down A list wouldn't last since it had to be a loss leader for them. Alamo Drafthouse started their own program and it's waitlist now. I haven't heard anything from cinemia or whatever and couldn't tell if it's even still alive

Sinemia literally just closed up shop one day and ran away with everyone's money. That was maybe a month after they started to require all users to send a copy of US government issued ID to them to confirm their identity. As they were some random company in Turkey that's where I stopped using them.

I really miss having MoviePass. I was going to 4-6 movies a month and didn't have to decide whether they were worth the money or not. There is no AMC theater close enough to me to join A-List. I miss all the lovely movies. :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There aren't any AMC near where I live so I signed up for Cinemark's plan. Its not a super great plan but it does pay for itself if you see more than one movie a month.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Monglo posted:

How about the official Disney animated show where everyone had a rolling beachball body like BB-8, because kids love BB-8! Yay! BB-8-style storm troopers! BB-8-style Chewbacca! BB-8-style Maz Kanata!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo-KpFMwgV8

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Yeah it's a solid sports underdog drama with some comedic bits. I don't really have any complaints against it, but it ranked pretty low on my end of the year list because, outside of the performances, it's not very strong outside of it's specific genre.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Ready or Not was pretty fun last year

FlamingLiberal posted:

Regal's didnt start til after moviepass was dead. And supposedly they worked out deals with studios to pay less for films so its not a loss-leader

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

muscles like this! posted:

There aren't any AMC near where I live so I signed up for Cinemark's plan. Its not a super great plan but it does pay for itself if you see more than one movie a month.

Does yours not have cheap showings on Tuesday/first of the day? Because those prices are all cheaper than with the Cinemark plan. Even if you factor in the online purchasing fee

Alhazred posted:

I'm the opposite, I didn't want to see it until there was a dragon

MH Knights posted:

Not sure if it's final income but it was a garbage movie with no redeeming qualities because of her eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Apparently the plot of Dr. Dolittle is that he has to get a magic potion from the dragon in order to cure Queen Victoria from some mystery illness. Also Victoria is played by an Irish actress, haha.