Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

everdave posted:

I don't want to say any names bc I don't know if they are from here or who they are but someone who has a car coming from JCD to Norfolk has a $5k late fine they are facing and the port is not going to release it, and it is all because of JCD

gently caress, at that point they can just keep the damned car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

everdave posted:

Mira and Soarer look great!

Currently playing the game of “what’s on the boat?”. I have 2-4 cars on a boat that left port the 29th. My broker has nothing from Mat and Mat Is just like Japan is closed for holidays I’ll send it to your broker when I get back. People file late ISFs all the time you need a new broker. Nah it’s not a new broker I need. And my broker (who I love) says he is dealing with another customer from JCD right now same exact situation and they do not use Mat so I assume Yoshi. Believe me my broker knows Mat by name very well.

EDIT: well apparently he messed up so bad but in a good way for me NONE of mine that were supposed to be on the boat leaving the 28th are on the boat. But my close friends Prado 3.0 IS and nothing has been filed for it.

I don't want to say any names bc I don't know if they are from here or who they are but someone who has a car coming from JCD to Norfolk has a $5k late fine they are facing and the port is not going to release it, and it is all because of JCD

Norfolk isn't a weird way to refer to the Port of Baltimore is it? Because if so fuuuuck.

Also what boat is it on? Mine's on Hoegh Africa, which allegedly disembarked the 29th lol. But Mandee assured me the ISF was filed.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

French Canadian posted:

Norfolk isn't a weird way to refer to the Port of Baltimore is it? Because if so fuuuuck.

Also what boat is it on? Mine's on Hoegh Africa, which allegedly disembarked the 29th lol. But Mandee assured me the ISF was filed.

Not you, you aren't using my broker. You should be fine. You can see when it left, https://www.hoeghautoliners.com/my-cargo

EDIT: I have your VIN from a PM. Your boat actually left the 28th, scheduled arrival Feb 1 (this can change)

everdave fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 3, 2020

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

everdave posted:

Not you, you aren't using my broker. You should be fine. You can see when it left, https://www.hoeghautoliners.com/my-cargo

EDIT: I have your VIN from a PM. Your boat actually left the 28th, scheduled arrival Feb 1 (this can change)

Ah okay. Thanks for that link!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I switched from Mat to Yoshi right as my van shipped and yeah, it was over a week after it shipped and the ISF hadn't been filed. It was exactly the same situation as French Canadian, but after calling Mandee she got with Yoshi and got the ISF filed. I definitely got the same vibe from jcd though, they were kinda 'it's OK, late isf doesn't matter' but I was like oh yes it does, I am not about to lose all this money because they forgot to file one or send me the bill of lading so I could.

It all ended up OK in the end but that's honestly the biggest thing that's in the back of my head for next time. The van shipped right as a japanese holiday started so they were telling me they couldn't get the BOL until the holiday was over but I was like I don't think US customs cares, they need that ISF asap and it's made very clear on the customs website. Glad it all got worked out on my vehicle, can't imagine being the guy who is getting screwed.

Also on a totally different note, it's crazy how much longer the east coast waits (I realize the ship has to hit Panama, etc). Mine was like two weeks port to port but east coast waits like 2-3x as long.

Just out of curiosity, anybody here use any other Japanese brokers? Just wondering how the other options might compare.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 3, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Just out of curiosity, anybody here use any other Japanese brokers? Just wondering how the other options might compare.

My broker wants me to call a guy who he says never has any problems with paperwork, but he does not know how he works or what it costs or anything like that.

I would not use PCA for sure, not only do they not offer inspections just go watch one of their latest videos WHERE THEY BOUGHT A TRUCK FOR THEMSELVES THAT IS A GIANT POS AND THEY CAN'T EVEN REGISTER TO USE. Why they would post that video I have no idea.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Honest to god i can't imagine anyone being better than Yoshi.

It's so incredibly valuable to have someone who understands the importance of overnight responses. I spend my job dealing with companies in China and Taiwan and the amount of angst and time it saves to have someone who realizes "hmm if I don't respond now that is automatically 24 hours wasted because of 13 hours time difference" is incredible. That poo poo adds up.

God bless yoshi-kun.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah agreed. Yoshi is super responsive and chill. He often answers emails or IMs super late at night or early am, Japan time.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

astropika posted:

CARB absolutely exists for a reason, and I doubt there are all that many people in CA who would want a world without it, but it does rather rub people up the wrong way when you can register an incredibly polluting 70s domestic truck without any problems but if you try to import a 90s 600cc kei-truck from Japan you're going to be out thousands for testing and modifications.

Known quantities versus unknowable. The latter can be fixed by doing the testing certification, which is expensive and time consuming but still can be done.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I would imagine anyone could do what Yoshi does in practice, exchange money, answer questions, all that. Japan Car Direct does allow for inspections, and those inspectors work for anyone that hires them, not just Japan Car Direct. I can't imagine that's unique to them, but places like Pacific Coast Auto intentionally leave the third party inspections out. Like everdave pointed out too, they are complete dumb asses on top of that what with that blown out tow truck they bought that's both a POS and unable to be registered.

I have rapport with Yoshi and do very much appreciate him. He is a gearhead too, ask him about the Datsun in pieces in his garage. Mat I don't think I would get along with in the slightest. We're just incompatible I feel.

The thought about working with another export broker, goddam. Would not look forward to that.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

The thought about working with another export broker, goddam. Would not look forward to that.

Same, I hate change at all and I hope I don’t have to

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah I mean I'm not trying to change, just curious as to if any other options exist. It seems like jcd's interface is homegrown, so it would be interesting to see if anyone else has the 'search every auction, bid on anything, we will ship it to you if you win' thing going on.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

This will ultimately lead to a goon export import business that implodes spectacularly

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

French Canadian posted:

This will ultimately lead to a goon export import business that implodes spectacularly

Imagine four Ruggers on the edge of a cliff.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Imagine four Ruggers on the edge of a cliff.

lmao :golfclap:

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Doobie's Delica House

Grover's Haus of Imports

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

You know, I bet there's a huge market in Japan for 25-year-old LHD Chevrolets and Chryslers. Hang on, let me get some paper and work this out.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

It seems like jcd's interface is homegrown

That’s being generous too, it’s a huge pain in the rear end but most Japanese sites are like that ime.

I have no doubt they’re the best but I think Radium must have worked for them at some point.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Absolutely nothing homegrown about their auction site, in fact my buddy in town found the source and you can get access yourself for like $150 a month to do with as you please. Also access to higher resolution photos

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Yeah like, the data that they show is the same data that something like Pacific Coast auto has. Same poo poo, different front ends. Everyone has access to the same auctions, the same data, the same inventory.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

You know, I bet there's a huge market in Japan for 25-year-old LHD Chevrolets and Chryslers. Hang on, let me get some paper and work this out.

In following a lot of Japanese camper-centric Instagram accounts I have discovered that old Ford Econoline RVs of various sizes are a thing over there. Dunno how they get them or keep them registered tho.

Edit: oh..one account replied to my question about it. I guess Road Trek had/has a presence over there.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 4, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

French Canadian posted:

Grover's Haus of Imports

Structural replacements made of Great Stuff.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

25yo Chevy suburbans would be a great impractical vehicle for japan

taqueso fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 4, 2020

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
There is probably someone importing them already.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I always see lots of GMC Astros when I'm there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I always see lots of GMC Astros when I'm there.

That would be a GMC Safari :spergin:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

There is probably someone importing them already.

GM actually had a marketing agreement in the 90s to sell Chevy Cavaliers made in Ohio as the Toyota Cavalier. Special Japanese model, RHD and different lights and slight body mods to fit Japanese regulations.

The Japanese are a clever lot and did not believe for a second that those lovely Toyota Cavaliers were made by Toyota.

It would be hilarious to find a few of the very few that were sold, and bring them back to the US as exotic imports.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

French Canadian posted:

Dunno how they get them or keep them registered tho.

I've gotten the idea that you can pretty much register whatever you can get your hands on over there, as long as you've got the money to back it up.

taqueso posted:

25yo Chevy suburbans would be a great impractical vehicle for japan

lol, funny you say that, I saw this in the UDX garage when I was there earlier this year

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 4, 2020

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

lol, funny you say that, I saw this in the UDX garage when I was there earlier this year

Sweet Baby Jesus :kimchi:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

CannonFodder posted:

Spotted on a parking lot at the Love's truck stop in Minden Louisiana.

Somebody is getting a Toyota Prado EX with the 3 liter turbo engine.

Okinawa plates, wonder if it's someone in the military getting their car brought over.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sapporo has a bit of US import/lowrider group, who appear to happily hang out with other import punks.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

BlackMK4 posted:

I've gotten the idea that you can pretty much register whatever you can get your hands on over there, as long as you've got the money to back it up.

goddamn.

Living in Australia, I'd love to have one of these and a Beat as my DD options :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Sapporo has a bit of US import/lowrider group, who appear to happily hang out with other import punks.

Dang, now I really want to go to Sapporo. I know that I've heard that there is a club in the Sendai region that loves USDM-styled Hondas, but I never made it up there. I did, however, see some kanjozoku on the Osaka loop line :3:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dang, now I really want to go to Sapporo.
Well, I don't know who these guys are or where they go, but they were clearly some kind of club/group.

But Hokkaido is a cool place, it's also where MCM have done a lot of their stuff in Japan.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

everdave posted:

Absolutely nothing homegrown about their auction site, in fact my buddy in town found the source and you can get access yourself for like $150 a month to do with as you please. Also access to higher resolution photos

KakerMix posted:

Yeah like, the data that they show is the same data that something like Pacific Coast auto has. Same poo poo, different front ends. Everyone has access to the same auctions, the same data, the same inventory.
I just want an easy way to search the entire database at once, even if it limits it to ten results or something. I want to see all the cool old stuff, searching just 1950 for example would be great.

Wife wants a :krad: sidekick/xc90/rugger with full graphics and preferably purple. Might be a perfect excuse to import something.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There is this site that seems to have a ghetto looking API
http://avto.jp/

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

GM actually had a marketing agreement in the 90s to sell Chevy Cavaliers made in Ohio as the Toyota Cavalier. Special Japanese model, RHD and different lights and slight body mods to fit Japanese regulations.

The Japanese are a clever lot and did not believe for a second that those lovely Toyota Cavaliers were made by Toyota.

It would be hilarious to find a few of the very few that were sold, and bring them back to the US as exotic imports.

It gets better; The Toyota Matrix was pmuch exclusively a US car but the mods GM did to it to make the Pontiac Vibe happened to also make it compliant to Japanese regs so a bunch of those got RHD-ified, shipped to JDM-land and sold as the Toyota Voltz.

Nobody bought those either despite being significantly less poo poo than a Cavalier

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Dang, now I really want to go to Sapporo.

InitialDave posted:

Well, I don't know who these guys are or where they go, but they were clearly some kind of club/group.

But Hokkaido is a cool place, it's also where MCM have done a lot of their stuff in Japan.

Hokkaido is great - it's obviously a snow/ski destination in winter, in summertime it's known for being a good place to do a roadtrip as it's a bit less hot/humid/miserable than the rest of the country. When I was finishing up my contract in 2014 I could opt to extend my time for a month afterwards and they'd still cover my return ticket - a German mate of mine flew in and we did a trip on motorbikes up to Hokkaido and around. Beautiful scenery, great food, lots of bike friendly infrastructure. 10/10 would recommend. I can try and dig up pics on my old Flickr if anyone is interested.

We used the ferries to our advantage - he bought his GS from another mate of mine who was leaving at the same time I was, we stuck it on the ferry from Fukuoka unaccompanied and picked it up at the port in Tokyo (riding through Tokyo traffic on my 250 with a big German on the back was an experience). We rode up to Oma in Aomori over a few days and caught that ferry across to Hokkaido, but then on the way back caught the Niigata ferry... gave us a chance to do laundry, process pics, and do some napping.

Apexmoto in Yamanashi are the ones to talk to if you want to buy/rego a bike to tour on in Japan - they are Australian owned and very good. You can tell them what you want and they'll find it on Yahoo Auctions and can register it in their name (you can't own a vehicle in Japan without being a resident). I don't know if they can help with export stuff themselves, but could probably buy it, sort it mechanically, and forward it on to someone who could, worst case.

*Japan in general is an absolutely brilliant place to do roadtrips - in most people's minds it's known for the public transport infrastructure, but in truth a lot of the cool stuff is only accessible with a private vehicle. The JR Rail Pass is a fantastic deal and I'd recommend it to anyone for their first trip, but if you've done the main cities on Honshu and are thinking of another trip, hiring a car/bike is absolutely the way to go.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 5, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

I just want an easy way to search the entire database at once, even if it limits it to ten results or something. I want to see all the cool old stuff, searching just 1950 for example would be great.

Wife wants a :krad: sidekick/xc90/rugger with full graphics and preferably purple. Might be a perfect excuse to import something.

You can fine tune your search results through the JCD front end no problem, even if you just want to see a certain color car but those are often listed wrong (often something customer painted is listed as bronze for some reason). But you can sort by make model year range etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

NitroSpazzz posted:

everdave posted:

You can fine tune your search results through the JCD front end no problem, even if you just want to see a certain color car but those are often listed wrong (often something customer painted is listed as bronze for some reason). But you can sort by make model year range etc...

Yeah so you can search just for 1950s stuff, you can search for everything via whatever auction houses are running on whatever day, you can specify 4WD, 2WD, color, transmission, all that stuff. But like everdave says, poo poo is listed wrong and because of that manually looking is the only way to make sure you get as much of an idea of whatever inventory is there. The Mira RV4 we have? It was listed as 'Mira Other' because the person who initially entered it into the database didn't know what the gently caress an RV4 is. You can do a search online and really only find that they are a thing, but not much on what sort of thing they are.

There is no replacement for just slowly grinding through the inventory every day to sift out whatever is there. Some options aren't even mentioned, like diff lock on Land Cruisers, or if an MR2 is a revision 3 or not. You have to go through each listing, take the sheet, the VIN/Chassis ID, and pictures into account to see what you actually have in front of you. You can't trust whatever was entered into the database exclusively otherwise you'll miss things. Doesn't matter what front end you use either, they all pull from the same data.