Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Elentor posted:

Jesus christ that Lifestream police is gonna be bad isn't it

It already makes no sense with Advent Children in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

It doesn’t make sense with the fact that there are reactors already sucking out the Lifestream for power.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The beauty of the Lifestream and the whole Gaia theory is that the planet as an organism did not reflect humans or human intentions. Buggenhagen explicitly shows a human becoming a tree. Aeris' gambit is believing that much as Sephiroth is strong-willed enough to control Jenova, she too could preserve her human mind in the lifestream. Hell, there's a book about it.

The Weapons were perfect Langoliers because they were stupid and lacked human intelligence and were just antibodies.

The only way I can see these uh new characters working is if they are akin to the Cetra ghosts that never rejoined the Lifestream but even they were fairly powerless and useless in general.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The leaked dialogue is giving me hope for the characterization, but the story details are making me apprehensive. I'm both hype as hell and expecting a massive disappointment.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Kith posted:

I'm both hype as hell and expecting a massive disappointment.

final_fantasy.txt

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Elentor posted:

The beauty of the Lifestream and the whole Gaia theory is that the planet as an organism did not reflect humans or human intentions. Buggenhagen explicitly shows a human becoming a tree. Aeris' gambit is believing that much as Sephiroth is strong-willed enough to control Jenova, she too could preserve her human mind in the lifestream. Hell, there's a book about it.

The Weapons were perfect Langoliers because they were stupid and lacked human intelligence and were just antibodies.

The only way I can see these uh new characters working is if they are akin to the Cetra ghosts that never rejoined the Lifestream but even they were fairly powerless and useless in general.

it would be funny as hell if they didn't do poo poo and by the end of the game the party is just done because they won't go away.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A lot of things so far seem positive, and even the things I don't like are very minor, but the new major plot element is so dumb that unless it has like, some superb execution, all I want to do is to mod the poo poo out of it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Apparently there's some new dialogue where Hojo talks to Aerith about how he killed her mother, then cut her up and cataloged all of the pieces for study.

:stonk:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Apparently there's some new dialogue where Hojo talks to Aerith about how he killed her mother, then cut her up and cataloged all of the pieces for study.

:stonk:

Sounds about right for Hojo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Sounds about right for Hojo.

"One time I stayed up a little too late and put all the specimens in the coffee cabinet. That sure woke everyone up the next morning! Ha ha! Ahh, we like to have fun here."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah that sounds 100% like Hojo

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

HD DAD posted:

There’s some script leak stuff that suggests somewhat major story changes. Or additions, at least.

HERE BE SPOILERS:

Hojo wanted to breed Aerith with G-Type SOLIDERs, referencing CC. Sephiroth seems to be quite chatty with Cloud in his head. The “Watchers of Fate” are way more integrated into the story it seems, with Aerith and Red straight up explaining what they are - they even appear and interrupt Hojo as he tells Cloud he was never in SOLDIER. Apparently they act as a sort of “destiny police” for the Lifestream, and appear to those who are trying to deviate from the will of the Planet.

huh, I wonder how they're going to introduce Nanaki now. At least I hope he's still an absolute dork when you meet him.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

"One time I stayed up a little too late and put all the specimens in the coffee cabinet. That sure woke everyone up the next morning! Ha ha! Ahh, we like to have fun here."

Scroll down to the Fanart...

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Elentor posted:

A lot of things so far seem positive, and even the things I don't like are very minor, but the new major plot element is so dumb that unless it has like, some superb execution, all I want to do is to mod the poo poo out of it.

Like, they say it was one of the ideas originally planned for OG VII but was scrapped due to constraints, but it’s such a Nomura-circa-2007 concept that I find it hard to accept.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

HD DAD posted:

There’s some script leak stuff that suggests somewhat major story changes. Or additions, at least.

HERE BE SPOILERS:

Hojo wanted to breed Aerith with G-Type SOLIDERs, referencing CC. Sephiroth seems to be quite chatty with Cloud in his head. The “Watchers of Fate” are way more integrated into the story it seems, with Aerith and Red straight up explaining what they are - they even appear and interrupt Hojo as he tells Cloud he was never in SOLDIER. Apparently they act as a sort of “destiny police” for the Lifestream, and appear to those who are trying to deviate from the will of the Planet.

If this is true, then this all sucks. Literally of this is bad.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Elentor posted:

My interest in the new plot element is that, well.... the basic description here sounds like these guys are here to keep the ff7 plot on track with things like keeping Hojo from dropping disc 3 info, which leads to things like is there going to be someone or thing trying to derail it? Are you going to have to fight them in a secret boss battle to resurrect Aerith or help them keep the specter of GACKT from becoming relevant?

It's weird.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I couldn't help myself and went to go look for more leaks to be mad about, and I found some battle animations. Boy, Elentor is going to start foaming out the mouth and blood is going to go spurting from his eyes in anger when he sees what they've done to Aeris' attack animations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This thing is gonna make the internet explode isn't it lol

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

precision posted:

It's already made the internet explode, then it exploded again when they posted images of Tifa.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

precision posted:

At first I thought the worst part would be Barrett's awful VA, but then I saw the leaks and they changed My Bloody Valentine to My Funny Valentine.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I thought at one point they said Remake was going to be disregarding the previous Compilation but I can't find it anymore.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TheIndividual posted:

At first I thought the worst part would be Barrett's awful VA, but then I saw the leaks and they changed My Bloody Valentine to My Funny Valentine.

gently caress THAT poo poo :mad:

That negates the goodwill from them keeping the Loveless poster in

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Trying to mine contextless spoilers from demo data and then extrapolating them into things to get mad about seems like the worst thing anyone could spend their time doing, honestly

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there a summary of the extended universe stuff anywhere? I never played anything except the original game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RatHat posted:

Is there a summary of the extended universe stuff anywhere? I never played anything except the original game.

You'd really be better off not knowing because it's all dumb.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Everything that's given an explanation and backstory is really dumb and bad and cheapens the overall story.

FF7's EU is like a prototype for what Kingdom Hearts' web of convoluted bullshit would become.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TheIndividual posted:

Jojo!?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

RatHat posted:

- Before Crisis: There was an older version of Avalanche that was even more extreme terrorist than the main cast and they tried to kill President Shinra. Also, apparently there was a Jade Weapon that got killed around this time.

- Crisis Core: Zack goes on an adventure that has pretty much nothing to do with him and everything to do with an evil prototype Sephiroth who looks like Gackt. Also J-Pop.

- Advent Children: Sephiroth's lame brothers show up and get killed. Cloud becomes a Super Saiyan.

- Dirge of Cerberus: Hojo uploads himself to the internet and also there are a bunch of dumb characters who fight Vincent. Vincent becomes a Super Saiyan. Also Gackt returns.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In the middle of all of that, Barret becomes an oil baron.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

- Advent Children: Sephiroth's lame brothers show up and get killed. Dave, a gloomy sadsack with an uncanny resemblance to Cloud, becomes a Super Saiyan.

fluffyDeathbringer fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 4, 2020

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Advent Children: Sephiroth manipulate the Force midichlorians to create the three stooges.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Terper posted:

I drink your @$!#/& materia

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

- Before Crisis: There was an older version of Avalanche that was even more extreme terrorist than the main cast and they tried to kill President Shinra. Also, apparently there was a Jade Weapon that got killed around this time.

- Crisis Core: Zack goes on an adventure that has pretty much nothing to do with him and everything to do with an evil prototype Sephiroth who looks like Gackt. Also J-Pop.

- Advent Children: Sephiroth's lame brothers show up and get killed. Cloud becomes a Super Saiyan.

- Dirge of Cerberus: Hojo uploads himself to the internet and also there are a bunch of dumb characters who fight Vincent. Vincent becomes a Super Saiyan. Also Gackt returns.

Found Crisis Core to be a very entertaining game. Sucks that Square never released that badboy for Vita (or PS4 like they did with tha FF Type 0). Would have loved to play through that again, stupid anime and J-pop and all...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Terper posted:

The Planet’s dyin’, Cloud.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I know it’s because it’s an unfinished render, but can we talk about President Shinra being attended to by hairless twinks?

It’s like Baron Harkonnen without the boils. Hubba hubba.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
New mini-game at the honey bee

https://gfycat.com/acidicheftycorydorascatfish

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Truly the best iteration of Cloud

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

what's a Gackt?

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

TommyGun85 posted:

what's a Gackt?

A jpop star or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

TommyGun85 posted: