Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
how would any of that stuff fit in a thread about good YouTube channels though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

tea tho

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I love The Office and I rewatched a big chunk of it over the holidays, and I think a big part of it still holds up. Really the only parts I thought dragged were most of s6, the latter part of s7, and s8. The bit at the end of Goodbye Michael when Pam talks about how Michael was hopeful, not sad, still manages to get me.

In terms of late-season casting, I thought Kathy Bates was terrible, and James Spader had a lot of promise in his first episode with the interview and then you can tell he just completely lost all interest in the role (and/or the writers just had no idea what to do with him and took the worst possible choices). Ed Helms was also completely incapable of stepping in for Steve Carell and one reason the final season is so good is that Helms was gone for a big chunk of it. I think the later seasons of The Office actually made me hate Helms.

Andy has the worst arc, they start him off insufferable, they send him away, he comes back a little more human, and it seems like they're going to keep it that way with just his obnoxious quirks... but then the later seasons happen and they turn him into just a very bad person you are unhappy to see in a scene. I do think plop and the other intern could've worked in earlier seasons, wasn't a fan of Ryan somehow coming back as office drone eventually. Ryan only works with Michael there, otherwise he's just a horrible jerk. I also loved Spader until the last parts, "I'm the loving lizard king" was his peak and one of the funniest single moments of the show overall-- they goof troop'd him too hard and cutting the lady from American Horror Story as boss of Sabre was a bit too abrupt.

I kind of wish they had settled on Dwight as manager instead of basically chucking him out after a single day. While it was a funny bit and expected for Dwight, I think he could've settled into manager role and end up becoming michael scottier over time. Dwight had a good arc and end though anyway.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Boba Pearl posted:

Is there a TV IV thread for good youtube channels? I've been watching DBZ Abridged, FF7 Abridged, YGO Abridged, Red vs Blue, RWBY, and some other stuff, and wanted to share abou tit.

I want to talk about how Neebs used his Spanish on the PvP server. :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Red vs Blue?

In TYOOL 2020?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Rhyno posted:

Red vs Blue?

In TYOOL 2020?

You don't have to qualify it by year, it was never good.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
They had that one video, I think it was Welcome to the Internet or something that'd make me chuckle but that was it.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
jokes on you these shows you think are bad, are actually quite enjoyable.

e: you will regret your words and deeds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnppTIFL0dM

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 4, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Croatoan posted:

They had that one video, I think it was Welcome to the Internet or something that'd make me chuckle but that was it.

I was a huge Halo idiot and extremely frequent poster on both the Bungie and Rooster Teeth forums 15 years ago. RvB has always been barely passable.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Khanstant posted:

I kind of wish they had settled on Dwight as manager instead of basically chucking him out after a single day. While it was a funny bit and expected for Dwight, I think he could've settled into manager role and end up becoming michael scottier over time. Dwight had a good arc and end though anyway.

I remember hearing at the time how NBC was really pulling for either Ricky Gervais, Will Arnett, or for some reason Catherine Tate to be the replacement for Michael, which is why she comes back in later seasons, but none of the three were available at the time. Also now I'm remembering that Catherine Tate was on the US Office and her character arc was getting to illegally adopt a baby at the end.

I think it is funny that Ed Helms was chosen as the replacement because he was such hot poo poo in 2011, and now I can't even remember the last thing I've seen him in. Maybe the National Lampoon remake from half a decade ago?

Major props to The Office's later seasons for bringing Mark Proksch to national attention, too.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

As much as I liked P&R, nothing in it came even close to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ht_GI2zOxo

Everything about this scene is flawless.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boba Pearl posted:

Is there a TV IV thread for good youtube channels? I've been watching DBZ Abridged, FF7 Abridged, YGO Abridged, Red vs Blue, RWBY, and some other stuff, and wanted to share abou tit.

Youtube threads on other forums turn into a one stop for drama queens.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jean Ralphio is funnier than anything on The Office.

Also Treat Yo' Self.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was gonna say that there's not really much "television" style stuff I watch on YouTube but then I realized that LGR, 8-Bit Guy, William Osmon, etc are more or less public television programming with slightly better sets and cameras.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mu Zeta posted:

Jean Ralphio is funnier than anything on The Office.

Also Treat Yo' Self.

Treat yo self was kinda retroactively ruined by Aziz being a creep in real life.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I always hated any scene where Tom Haverford showed up, he was absolutely the worst part of parks and rec and I will die on this hill.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The accusation didn't seem to amount to much. He was on the paley center panel in 2019 and the entire cast was there supporting him includling Amy Poehler, Rita, Rashida Jones, Aubrey Plaza, and Mike Schurr. The site that reported the abuse doesn't even exist anymore and the journalist that wrote it isn't a journalist anymore either.

e: I admit the Tom Haverford character sucked

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 4, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

The accusation didn't seem to amount to much. He was on the paley center panel in 2019 and the entire cast was there supporting him includling Amy Poehler, Rita, Rashida Jones, Aubrey Plaza, and Mike Schurr. The site that reported the abuse doesn't even exist anymore and the journalist that wrote it isn't a journalist anymore either.

Oh well if the entire cast was supporting him :rolleyes:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Luckily Aziz already sucked before it was revealed he's an incredibly pushy date.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
The whole oh he didn't bother these women so it's all cool defense will continue to work forever.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

P&R is better on pretty much every level than the Office. That Office clip that was posted was funny, but it mostly reminded me how much I hate the Michael Scott character 99% of the time.

As for Aziz, Tom Haverford is easily the worst part of P&R, but his stand-up was pretty good and Master of None was great.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't see how any of those details about the site or writer have anything to do with the truth/substance of the allegations against Aziz.

If someone changes their job category does that invalidate all work they did under previous employment?

Of all the broke brained attempts to defend Aziz this might actually be the worst and that's including trying to point out that Thebabe.net was some free wheeling gossip site where the staff had frequent open bar nights and male execs were routinely harassing the female staff.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Canceling only works if the person being Cancelled gives a poo poo about appealing to the people who are trying to Cancel them.

See also: Contrapoints managing to get a million+ views a day on her new videos while also making living off of patreon and generally being a shining light in these bitter cynical times.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Aziz ansari's best work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRwxNgUnjxs&t=162s

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Boba Pearl posted:

If you want a good FF7 abridge to watch I recommend this one

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Ya know which series I really miss that I've been revisiting? Raising Hope and My Name Is Earl. The former especially.... it was just so sweetly funny and Garret Dillahunt, who is always great, looked like he was having the time of his life with Martha Plimpton and Cloris Leachman. Jimmy and Sabrina were really good together and there were a lot of good funny tearjerker moments between everybody.

Earl was just goofy good innocent fun with a lesson. Jaime Pressly was perfect casting and Ethan Suplee was great too. Hey Crabman!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

pahuyuth posted:

Ya know which series I really miss that I've been revisiting? Raising Hope and My Name Is Earl. The former especially.... it was just so sweetly funny and Garret Dillahunt, who is always great, looked like he was having the time of his life with Martha Plimpton and Cloris Leachman. Jimmy and Sabrina were really good together and there were a lot of good funny tearjerker moments between everybody.

Earl was just goofy good innocent fun with a lesson. Jaime Pressly was perfect casting and Ethan Suplee was great too. Hey Crabman!

Hey pahuyuth!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Parks and Rec was a weird show because while they retooled it all after the first season, the characters established were still the main cast. They managed to take some, like Ron, Andy, and April and get them to work. Obviously they just redid Leslie, but she was the main character so she had to work. Then you had characters like Mark (who just went away because he was unnecessary), Tom (who you basically had to suspend your disbelief to imagine any of his coworkers ever tolerating him), and Ann (I love Rashida Jones and she's honestly fantastic as Ann, but they never had any idea what to do with her), all of whom don't really need to be there. They all had their moments, because for the most part the show was good, but it's interesting comparing them to characters like Ben and Chris, who fit perfectly because they were written to be part of a different kind of show.

I also think this is why it made a lot of sense to give Donna a bigger role as the show went on - having characters without all that early-season baggage made them easy to write into the later seasons.

It has pretty inconsistent characterization in general, I've always thought. Especially Leslie in season 6.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

There's a drawn out scene in episode 1 of Messiah where nothing is in focus. How did this make it to the final cut. :psyduck:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Parks and Rec was a weird show because while they retooled it all after the first season, the characters established were still the main cast. They managed to take some, like Ron, Andy, and April and get them to work. Obviously they just redid Leslie, but she was the main character so she had to work. Then you had characters like Mark (who just went away because he was unnecessary), Tom (who you basically had to suspend your disbelief to imagine any of his coworkers ever tolerating him), and Ann (I love Rashida Jones and she's honestly fantastic as Ann, but they never had any idea what to do with her), all of whom don't really need to be there. They all had their moments, because for the most part the show was good, but it's interesting comparing them to characters like Ben and Chris, who fit perfectly because they were written to be part of a different kind of show.

I also think this is why it made a lot of sense to give Donna a bigger role as the show went on - having characters without all that early-season baggage made them easy to write into the later seasons.

It has pretty inconsistent characterization in general, I've always thought. Especially Leslie in season 6.

Andy is the weirdest change. He's kind of a gas lighting jerk arsehole who's in a long term relationship with Anne of all people. Do they mention that ever again? I feel like they probably do not.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alhazred posted:

I gave up on that show after the scene were Lucifer has a huge rant about rap music, because what the gently caress?

He's a narcissist posh idiot, you're not supposed to agree with his opinions.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Imagine being angry at a fictional version of the fiction devil because he doesn't enjoy Tupac

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Imagine being angry at a fictional version of the fiction devil because he doesn't enjoy Tupac

I am outraged

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Any Netflix Dracula impressions? I'm seriously wondering if I've reached my Steven Moffat breaking point.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Tupac is in heaven

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Tupac is in heaven

he's actually still alive but whatever

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

There's a drawn out scene in episode 1 of Messiah where nothing is in focus. How did this make it to the final cut. :psyduck:

I noticed that and wasn’t sure if I was going mad

Hakkesshu posted:

Any Netflix Dracula impressions? I'm seriously wondering if I've reached my Steven Moffat breaking point.

From what people in the UK thread are saying it sounds dumb as hell

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's Moffat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

pahuyuth posted:

Raising Hope was good outside of that final season where it felt like the show had completely lost its way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

It's Moffat.

I watched the first episode and gave it side eyes most of the time it was on. Didn't know it was that eejit, and now it makes sense.