Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

It turns out I am pretty terrible with Banjo! But I am kinda drunk when I play him so it's all ok!

I'm also terrible with him sober but it helps ease the pain :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Parrotine posted:

It turns out I am pretty terrible with Banjo! But I am kinda drunk when I play him so it's all ok!

I'm also terrible with him sober but it helps ease the pain :v:

Just poop more grenades

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Fojar38 posted:

Yeah people shouldn't be valuing Elite Smash to this extent but being in at all is a significant psychological boost that people are reluctant to give up, and a scenario where people are anxious about playing their favorite characters because one or two bad matches will cause them to drop out is less than ideal.

Yup. I feel this hard. I don't play Smash online at all unless its with someone I know despite enjoying it because I don't need the visual of a number plummeting every time my Ridley gets wombo comboed into the shitter

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Just don't care about your rank

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

In Training posted:

I don't. But number going down just feels lovely inherently. If there was an option to turn off the display of it, I'd be thrilled.

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 3, 2020

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/smashreddit_txt/status/1213246562098405382

MATT is ready.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I just fought a Marth player who no joke played like a Jigglypuff player. I had no idea how to deal with him

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Today I learned that if you connect with Banjo's Fair followed immediately by a Wonderwing you will 100% break a shield guaranteed

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Parrotine posted:

Today I learned that if you connect with Banjo's Fair followed immediately by a Wonderwing you will 100% break a shield guaranteed

Today I learned that about half of Ridley's attacks and about half of Wolf's harmlessly bounce off each other leading to perfectly symmetrical violence until someone gives up and jumps and punches the other

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
*Trent Reznor voice* TERRIBLE LAG

Macaluso posted:

I just fought a Marth player who no joke played like a Jigglypuff player. I had no idea how to deal with him

I'd be confused if a Marth used rest on me too

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Macaluso posted:

You mean he jumped a lot and only used aerial drift to move? You would just fight that like a worse Jigglypuff in that case. Bait and punish or use OoS options. Marth/Lucina air attacks are good and swift but they have long end lag and landing lag, more so than Jigglypuff, so there's gaps in their attacks. You'll have a harder time if you don't have a disjoint or projectile, so if you do, rely on those.

One of the big things I notice is that if people only employ the same strategy, there's no reason not to just use the same strategy to counter for it over and over if they don't adapt. If something works and they don't adjust and change, why should you?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Because it's fun to whip out crazy combos and then share those crazy combos on youtube.

I mean I've never gotten anything good, but still.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm playing a new drinking game where I take a shot every time I play as Banjo

Here are the rules:

Step 1) Take a shot every time I miss an Fair

Step 2) Call an ambulance

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

In Training posted:

I care about rank because there is no more noble mission than to spread the fame and glorious truth of worldwide Mega Man supremacy. :colbert:

... which I would totally be doing right now if only my GSP with Mega Man wasn’t so dismally bad (I use him the most online) :negative:

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Finally playing Pokemon Shield. I officially hope a Gen 8 Pokemon gets in just so we can get the gym battle music in Smash. It's very good!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Finally playing Pokemon Shield. I officially hope a Gen 8 Pokemon gets in just so we can get the gym battle music in Smash. It's very good!

It'd be probably be one of the lovely starters, but it should really be Toxtricity

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don't know if anyone has been watching Let's Make Big Moves the tourney that's going on right now, but like half the top 16 has been reverse 3-0s, and it's been genuinely tense as hell

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Put Guzma's theme in smash you cowards

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Guy A. Person posted:

I don't know if anyone has been watching Let's Make Big Moves the tourney that's going on right now, but like half the top 16 has been reverse 3-0s, and it's been genuinely tense as hell

Yeah it's pretty great. Tea getting the upset over Marss was pretty hype.

edit: goddamn Dabuz vs Kameme was crazy

Sam Faust fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 6, 2020

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

No Irish Need Imply posted:

byleth (as a mii swordfighter (so they can put like half the Three Houses soundtrack in the game))

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean the real reason to have a three houses character is for sakurai to go "I needed a reason to put the entire FE libriary soundtrack, please give me this"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sam Faust posted:

Yeah it's pretty great. Tea getting the upset over Marss was pretty hype.

edit: goddamn Dabuz vs Kameme was crazy

Tea vs Nairo right now is pretty nuts. The thing he does where he recovers by using the hydrant to get a small extra jump is crazy to me

Also every confirm he gets off the bell is amazing

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I like the current trend of fighter's pass DLC characters being from different 3rd party companies and generally completely new to Smash. I'd be kind of sad if DLC character No.5 was someone from a series already represented, especially another Mario, FE or Pokémon rep.

After that is fair game though. Add Geno, Edelgard/Byleth and Toxtricity/Obstagoon/Rillaboom then.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

No more Fire Emblem characters please

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Macaluso posted:

It'd be probably be one of the lovely starters, but it should really be Toxtricity
it's but a dream at the moment, it can be anything you want it to be :)

but my boy Cinderace did nothing to deserve this scorn :angry:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
not only are all of the starters good, but rillaboom is outright great

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Rillaboom more like Rillabad

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I'd prefer to another iconic legendary like Mewtwo for the new gen than yet another starter for a gen. Such as that one boss from Dark Souls that's in the new Pokemon for some reason.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
ring fit adventurer for smash

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ungulateman posted:

ring fit adventurer for smash

But the character can only be played with the ring

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

As much as many people are tired of Fire Emblem characters, one of the extra DLC characters is 100% going to be a Three Houses character. The fact that the game never got any Spirit Board events when things like Daemon X Machina, Tetris 99, and Resident Evil (?!?) did is very telling. It's just a matter of who it's going to be, and it's basically a toss-up between Byleth and Edelgard.

put god shattering star in smash, sakurai. and apex of the world. and chasing daybreak. and

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Parrotine posted:

more Fire Emblem characters please

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

As long as they don't have a sword and can't counter

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m actually thinking about playing a Fire Emblem for the first time and wondering where’s a good place to start

This but the opposite

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
They're absolutely coming with a counter since that's a big part of the FE series, and Sakurai said that's how he wanted to represent that. Weapon? Who knows, but it's probably a sword.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Parrotine posted:

more Mega Man characters please

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Araxxor posted:

They're absolutely coming with a counter since that's a big part of the FE series, and Sakurai said that's how he wanted to represent that.

What the hell in FE has counter

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

What the hell in FE has counter

everybody, when attacked from an appropriate range

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Araxxor posted:

They're absolutely coming with a counter since that's a big part of the FE series, and Sakurai said that's how he wanted to represent that. Weapon? Who knows, but it's probably a sword.

You can fist people in Three Houses. A fister would be a neat change of pace for a Three Houses rep if they decide to go along with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Theta Zero posted:

You can fist people in Three Houses. A fister would be a neat change of pace for a Three Houses rep if they decide to go along with it.

Like 90% of the cast already punches though while no one uses an axe or lance.