Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fauna posted:

if anybody is in the mood for this sort of thing, i have finished my live watch of bakshi's magnum opus

This is delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

i think this is my favourite out-of-context screenshot

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

come for the bare shapely legs, stay for the genuinely harrowing eastern european hellscapes

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That surprisingly looks like the movies.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Invalid Validation posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Invalid Validation posted:

Peter Jackson was open about being inspired by these films, iirc.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I can't believe people told me to watch this movie :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38BiNsFFzcs

Also I like this reviewer. I don't watch very many but she seems to understand more than any other reviewer out there that the most important thing about a film is the theme. Stories have no reason to exist without a theme. A raison d'etre.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

This guy sounds like an incredible creep and probably close to being put on a list.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i definitely thought the idea of guerrilla filmmaking at disney world was really cool and interesting when that movie was first announced but i never got around to seeing it and now i am very glad that i didn't because it sounds awful.

honestly i think The Florida Project is a much more fascinating movie that deals with the ideals of Disney World vs the reality of Disney and capitalism as a whole (and even shot a scene guerrilla style in the parks so nyaaah) so this movie is even more unnecessary now than it was when it came out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Now do this for that animated hobbit movie

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

This one made me bust into a giggling fit and I'm not sure why

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Peter Jackson was open about being inspired by these films, iirc.

They also both were inspired by the illustrations of the Hildebrandt brothers IIRC, though I'm not sure about that shot specifically.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Let's not forget the majesty of the Balrog.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Pick posted:

Also I like this reviewer. I don't watch very many but she seems to understand more than any other reviewer out there that the most important thing about a film is the theme. Stories have no reason to exist without a theme. A raison d'etre.

Jenny Nicholson is one of those people who takes over an hour to recite a script instead of just publishing the same info as an article you could read in five minutes, but at the same time rarely takes advantage of working in a visual medium and just sits on her bed staring into the camera doing vlogs that awkwardly cut every three seconds. I get that there's a demographic of people for whom having someone non-threatening to waste away the hours watching talk is appealing but aside from her literal fanfiction everything I've seen her talk about like the Buzzy animatronic being stolen is something I've seen written elsewhere much more concisely.

DC Murderverse posted:

i definitely thought the idea of guerrilla filmmaking at disney world was really cool and interesting when that movie was first announced but i never got around to seeing it and now i am very glad that i didn't because it sounds awful.

The exact moment I knew the movie wasn't going to be what I wanted was when they have the main character riding on Its A Small World and they use CGI to give all the puppets ~spooky~ faces and do dramatic zooms and jump cuts just to show how creepy and twisted it is. Also completely invalidating the film's own gimmick by using green screens and sets a bunch of times.

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

Jenny's cutesy ironic shill gimmick gets old fast.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Jenny Nicholson is... good

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
On the other hand, Porg.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ralepozozaxe posted:

that design is at least more interesting than the live action one and the background is pretty

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

I mean the film has a theme (I'm pretty sure every film has themes, they're an emergent property of storytelling), but it's a very shallow one, just about how this happy place is really not happy.

Best satire of Disney is probably still I Think We're All Bozos on This Bus.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sleeveless posted:

Jenny Nicholson is one of those people who takes over an hour to recite a script instead of just publishing the same info as an article you could read in five minutes, but at the same time rarely takes advantage of working in a visual medium and just sits on her bed staring into the camera doing vlogs that awkwardly cut every three seconds. I get that there's a demographic of people for whom having someone non-threatening to waste away the hours watching talk is appealing but aside from her literal fanfiction everything I've seen her talk about like the Buzzy animatronic being stolen is something I've seen written elsewhere much more concisely.

Video reviews aren't for sitting and watching, they're for having on when you have tasks when you're sort-of working, like doing laundry.

And I'm not out to get listicles, I want to know a breakdown of a property and what works and doesn't, ideally in a funny way.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Pick posted:

Video reviews aren't for sitting and watching, they're for having on when you have tasks when you're sort-of working, like doing laundry.

I mean, the good ones are for watching. By their very definition they're meant to be a visual experience, what you're describing is a podcast.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I refuse to listen to podcasts because I think they are like audiobooks and I hate audiobooks on principle.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
they're more like Let's Plays without the visuals.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why is Mulan animated

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pick posted:

I refuse to listen to podcasts because I think they are like audiobooks and I hate audiobooks on principle.

This is stupid as hell.

Audiobooks are their own presentation and different from the book. They allow for interesting productions and unique takes on the books they are based on. (The full cast reading of Dune, for example, is an excellent experience.) That is in addition to the fact that they are extremely good for car travel, working out or other situations where reading isn't an option. That is *aside* from the fact that they are good for people with visual troubles who, you know, like to enjoy books even if they can't read. Audiobooks were the only way my grandmother (a voracious reader) could enjoy stories in her later years because her vision was almost entirely gone.

"I hate audiobooks on principle" is loving awful as a thing to say and is insanely self-centered and selfish about the fact that you can read without issues.

Calaveron posted:

Why is Mulan animated

I think it's here because it's a remake of an animated film so the comparisons are going to get brought up.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 4, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

"I hate audiobooks on principle" is loving awful as a thing to say and is insanely self-centered and selfish about the fact that you can read without issues.

No, this is stupid as hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pick posted:

No, this is stupid as hell.

No, I'm pretty sure the thing you said was far stupider. In what loving way is it justified to degrade an entire form of media, one which some people absolutely require to be able to enjoy books, because... what? What possible reason do you have to hate them on principle that isn't the immensely stupid "well they make people too lazy to read" argument?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

No, I'm pretty sure the thing you said was far stupider. In what loving way is it justified to degrade an entire form of media, one which some people absolutely require to be able to enjoy books, because... what? What possible reason do you have to hate them on principle that isn't the immensely stupid "well they make people too lazy to read" argument?

Oh my god not everything's about accessibility and even saying you hate something unobjectionable "on principle" is like the oldest joke in the book*.

*which should ONLY be read because I HATE people for whom books instantly burst into flames, such as the Human Torch

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Audiobooks, podcasts, radio dramas, etc. don't fit into my life. Any time I'd be listening to one, I'd also be capable of reading, and I can read faster than people can talk. Trying to force myself to listen, I end up distracted and not absorbing what is said. I find it annoying how much interesting-looking content is only accessible in spoken form.

The very concept of an audiobook isn't something I can like, therefore. Are you just objecting to the use of the word "hate" in this instance?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Podcasts rule sorry Pick

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Audiobooks, podcasts, radio dramas, etc. don't fit into my life. Any time I'd be listening to one, I'd also be capable of reading, and I can read faster than people can talk. Trying to force myself to listen, I end up distracted and not absorbing what is said. I find it annoying how much interesting-looking content is only accessible in spoken form.

The very concept of an audiobook isn't something I can like, therefore. Are you just objecting to the use of the word "hate" in this instance?

No, it's the weird selfishness of what you just said. "The very concept of an audiobook isn't something I like can like" is bizarre to me because you are obviously aware that other people prefer or need audiobooks for a variety of reasons. Does something have to appeal to you, specifically, before you can be glad it exists?

I don't particularly like seeing movies of any kind dubbed because it feels awkward as hell to me. However I know people prefer to hear something in their native language instead of French or German or whatever. I'm not going to say "I can't like the concept of dubbed movies" because... y'know, it doesn't hurt me for them to exist and helps other people enjoy it more.

Like yeah, it sucks when interesting content is only available in certain ways. (Hello Youtube Videos that take 20 minutes to instruct on something that I can read in 2) But the hope there is that multiple methods of enjoying something are made available. A lot of podcasts for example offer transcripts for hard-of-hearing fans and obviously books have the physical version.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It seemed obvious to me that the person was talking strictly about how they can relate to the things.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

wizards is on its way :3:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i don't think anyone is saying they wish audiobooks didn't exist

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

This is stupid as hell.
welcome to the thread.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I only listen to animated audiobooks

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

So this thread and its GBS followup got me to order the Bakshi LotR DVD. I haven't watched this film in 20 years; my fiance has never seen it. It arrives tomorrow. PARTY HARD

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I want to live in a world where Bakshi didn’t run out of money to finish this movie.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

fauna posted:

wizards is on its way :3:

Trying to watch Wizards was the first time I tried to consume a Bakshi film in its entirety rather than seeing clips on YouTube or screenshots and I couldn't do it. I can watch clunky and uneven old adult-targeted animated movies like Heavy Metal no problem but Wizards was just too boring and too awkward in how it kept smashing together cartoony slapstick (with terrible comic timing thanks to the quality of the animation and voice acting) and serious action in between big lore dumps.

The ending is great though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I feel kind of weird to admit I just find Bakshi's animation very unpleasant to look at.