Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Palpatines can jump to hyperspace, it's another thing they invented just for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Everyone posted:

The teleporting was kind of silly, but, honestly, the idea of this Force that runs through all living beings can be used to heal makes perfect sense to me. One of my thoughts after Kung Fu Panda3 with the giving/taking Chi was "Why the gently caress can't the Force in Star Wars do that?"

I remember reading a Kevin J Anderson book in the 90s that totally agrees with you. The Courtship of Princess Leia, I think. So that's the calibur of idea we're talking about, here.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Unoriginal Name posted:

I'm re-watching everything chronologically and, in RotJ, how the gently caress does Sheev get off the Death Star 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjetFjU-ll4

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

gohmak posted:

Those who think the ST was complete garbage from start to finish.

Hello!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I just think it's telling that SuperMechaGodzilla can't come up with an interesting interpretation by treating TROS as the end of the trilogy.

I go into any film believing it could be my favourite. I’m nothing if not fair.

-It’s worth pointing out that ROS does have the best gunfight scene in Star Wars, when they run through the hallways after rescuing Chewb. It’s brief, but solid.

-The montage of people pressing buttons and stuff while Poe gives the final moronic speech is hilarious. I know that people are mad about Rose, but there’s a crash-zoom on her slamming a giant comedy toggle during this bit, and it’s the best shot in the movie. This instantly made Rose my favorite character.

-When Luke Ghost raises the X-Wing, the movie finally slows down and lingers on the fact that this is obviously just a prop being hung off a crane. After all the frantic CGI balderdash, “here it is! The most important thing!” I entered a state of zen at this point.

-It’s actually amazing and ballsy that the entire Star War is won offscreen, as a deus ex machina, and the Rebellion had nothing to do with it. It reminds me of how, in the recent Joker, the protagonist is just some loser, while the titular Joker is actually an amorphous crowd occasionally glimpsed at the margins of the film.

-Plus, Rey kills force-vampiric Palpatine by making the sign of the cross, and it’s fuckin’ great. I also appreciated the shot, later, showing a giant crater where the throne used to be, Rey crawling through the rubble in front of it.

-Jenny Nicholson considers it a continuity error that Kylo still worships Vader even after learning that Palpatine was using Vader’s voice to manipulate him, but this is actually the most authentic stance. Kylo still believes, in spite of everything. And I believe that this is transfered to Rey - hence the redemptive interpretation that she is honouring Owen and Beru at the end, as if begging forgiveness for their shabby treatment.

The truth is that ROS only works, to the extent that it works at all, when hammered into being a psychedelic quasi-epilogue to Lucas’ films (in the way I’ve outlined). When read as part of a trilogy, the other two films harm it. So, they can be safely discarded.

If you do want to read this ST as a trilogy, then: oh man. That’s a whole other kettle of fish.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 4, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If you do want to read this ST as a trilogy, then: oh man. That’s a whole other kettle of fish.

Would love for you to open that kettle of fish.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I really loathe these films as a standalone trilogy because a ton of it is confusing as hell without the previous films but even taken as a contextual extension of those films they are meta-enamored with the past.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Because the Dark Side is unnatural and healing is organic.

And yet steroids are considered cheating. What a world.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

I honestly dont get why they didnt spend 10 seconds confirming Palpatine died in RotJ and re-entered his corpse or something as an evil force ghost, at least that way it wouldnt cheapen Vader killing him because he technically succeeded but as always Palpy had a trick up his sleeve.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm afraid you'll have to buy the Skywalker Saga Box Set (MSRP $149.99 available with an exclusive Funko Pop at Target) to see the cut scene where that happens.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

I remember reading a Kevin J Anderson book in the 90s that totally agrees with you. The Courtship of Princess Leia, I think. So that's the calibur of idea we're talking about, here.

That book was written by Dave Wolverton, you dumb gently caress!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Angry Salami posted:

Why are you people going back to see it again?

I have Regal Unlimited and there wasnt a movie i wanted to see this weekend as im waiting for 1917.

Theres discussion of the AMC A list in the green light thread and I gotta say Regals is awesome too. I got it in anticipation of seeing Star Wars multiple times. Shame I will only get the 1 extra viewing out of it. I almost walked out tbh.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Gargamel Gibson posted:

That book was written by Dave Wolverton, you dumb gently caress!
Biggest Wolverton fan or biggest Anderson fan ITT?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wow some fan I am. And I even had the audacity to call it my favorite book when I was 9!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The galaxy loving the First Order but hating Palpatine is a scathing commentary on the general public's tendency to value personality over policy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Alright, I just pulled up the Amazon preview to see how bad it was and, surprise! The answer is "very."

I also hit up Google Books to find the passage I was thinking of. For some awful reason I will never understand, my brain decided to retain this information in for more than 20 years:

This is the caliber of writing in RoS.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
the force is actually just a real big dose of some good mushrooms, turns out

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

the force is actually just a real big dose of some good mushrooms, turns out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsaKaRGjnxE

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Hello!

I go into any film believing it could be my favourite. I’m nothing if not fair.

-It’s worth pointing out that ROS does have the best gunfight scene in Star Wars, when they run through the hallways after rescuing Chewb. It’s brief, but solid.

-The montage of people pressing buttons and stuff while Poe gives the final moronic speech is hilarious. I know that people are mad about Rose, but there’s a crash-zoom on her slamming a giant comedy toggle during this bit, and it’s the best shot in the movie. This instantly made Rose my favorite character.

-When Luke Ghost raises the X-Wing, the movie finally slows down and lingers on the fact that this is obviously just a prop being hung off a crane. After all the frantic CGI balderdash, “here it is! The most important thing!” I entered a state of zen at this point.

-It’s actually amazing and ballsy that the entire Star War is won offscreen, as a deus ex machina, and the Rebellion had nothing to do with it. It reminds me of how, in the recent Joker, the protagonist is just some loser, while the titular Joker is actually an amorphous crowd occasionally glimpsed at the margins of the film.

-Plus, Rey kills force-vampiric Palpatine by making the sign of the cross, and it’s fuckin’ great. I also appreciated the shot, later, showing a giant crater where the throne used to be, Rey crawling through the rubble in front of it.

-Jenny Nicholson considers it a continuity error that Kylo still worships Vader even after learning that Palpatine was using Vader’s voice to manipulate him, but this is actually the most authentic stance. Kylo still believes, in spite of everything. And I believe that this is transfered to Rey - hence the redemptive interpretation that she is honouring Owen and Beru at the end, as if begging forgiveness for their shabby treatment.

The truth is that ROS only works, to the extent that it works at all, when hammered into being a psychedelic quasi-epilogue to Lucas’ films (in the way I’ve outlined). When read as part of a trilogy, the other two films harm it. So, they can be safely discarded.

Another plot hole she noticed that I disagree with is why Ben thought Palpatine didn't know about the Force Dyad, but I think that ties into what you're talking about here. Kylo Ren simply doesn't believe that Palpatine has the powers he claims. After all, just because Palpatine can do a good Vader impression or clone Snoke, it doesn't mean he is Snoke or Vader. There might be something to the idea that, while Rey believes everything she's told, Ben is an inherent skeptic.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
man, its really some kinda coincidence that Palpatine's granddaughter stole Han Solo's ship after meeting a droid with a map for Leia

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

I think this is the one where Han kidnaps Leia with a gun that shoots mind control slave rays, right?

The titular "Courtship" is actually Leia being courted by a prince from another planet that is described as basically being He-man, and he has a belt buckle that is actually deploys an energy based blaster shield (just like the ones in Dune. He uses the shield like a weapon to fight some bad guys as well. The book ends with Luke shaking his hand and telling He-man how awesome he is and that while he's not force sensitive he's still as bad-rear end as any Jedi.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

pospysyl posted:

Another plot hole she noticed that I disagree with is why Ben thought Palpatine didn't know about the Force Dyad, but I think that ties into what you're talking about here. Kylo Ren simply doesn't believe that Palpatine has the powers he claims. After all, just because Palpatine can do a good Vader impression or clone Snoke, it doesn't mean he is Snoke or Vader. There might be something to the idea that, while Rey believes everything she's told, Ben is an inherent skeptic.

I mean, that's possible, but also maybe don't write the loving Star War in such a confusing way?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I spent my Friday night photoshopping what "Punished Solo" might look like because I'm a turbonerd. That "wandering ronin" type a goon mentioned influenced the concept.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I think this is the one where Han kidnaps Leia with a gun that shoots mind control slave rays, right?

The titular "Courtship" is actually Leia being courted by a prince from another planet that is described as basically being He-man, and he has a belt buckle that is actually deploys an energy based blaster shield (just like the ones in Dune. He uses the shield like a weapon to fight some bad guys as well. The book ends with Luke shaking his hand and telling He-man how awesome he is and that while he's not force sensitive he's still as bad-rear end as any Jedi.

It's telling just how bad it is that even an extended Masters of the Universe homage, a natural extension of Star Wars' sensibilities about pastiche, can't save it.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

2house2fly posted:

The "explosion" you see when he falls down the shaft was probably his evil dark side ghost escaping his body. I think it was a similar shade of blue they used for Obi-Wan's ghost, so there you go

That explosion was always gonna be a sequel hook, IMO. Space wizards dying with no body and a dark, hazy cloud going out and away from the point of death is something most people would call shenanigans on and I'm shocked people didn't there as it was obviously teleportation or death defying witchcraft. As poorly done as it was, him being back actually didn't surprise me. What's shocking is how bad it was.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

teagone posted:

I spent my Friday night photoshopping what "Punished Solo" might look like because I'm a turbonerd. That "wandering ronin" type a goon mentioned influenced the concept.

pretty cool, dude.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Unoriginal Name posted:

man, its really some kinda coincidence that Palpatine's granddaughter stole Han Solo's ship after meeting a droid with a map for Leia

I’m willing to forgive this, because it’s pretty equally convenient that the son of Vader ends up with the Death Star plans from his sister in ANH on some backwater. That I can write up to the force works in mysterious ways.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Dalaram posted:

I’m willing to forgive this, because it’s pretty equally convenient that the son of Vader ends up with the Death Star plans from his sister in ANH on some backwater. That I can write up to the force works in mysterious ways.
And it worked for JJ in Star Trek too when Kirk and Old Spock and Scotty all happened to be within a mile of each other on some random ice planet! Man, the Force can explain any bullshit contrivance - wait.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Dalaram posted:

Much like Rise of Skywalker, familial relations were not decided in the first movie.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Dalaram posted:

Leia's mission was to make contact with the old general who had gone into hiding on that backwater specifically to keep an eye on her brother. That's not a random contrivance.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Really the only contrivance was that it was her who ended up with the plans, but there's only so many rebels in the galaxy I guess!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Everyone posted:

The point is that hyperdrive doesn't work in a gravity well. The Empire used Interdictor Cruiser to generate artifical gravity mass shadow to yank ships out of hyperspace to search, board or destroy. The problem here is that the Falcon is doing something established as impossible.

It's like if during the "The can fly now?" bit Finn had replied, "So can I!" flapped his arms like an epileptic chicken and taken off after the jet-pack stormtroopers.

And it works because gently caress physics, it's coooooooooooool.

Thank you for the mental image. It's fantastic :iia:

I saw the movie yesterday and have been letting it percolate a whole day.

It's a fine movie, hamstrung by previous bad decisions, forced tributes and marketing. I enjoyed my time with it well enough though.

Some things:
- Poor Leia. They did the best they could and they did an amazing job. But there's no warmth in her scenes because she can't act with the others.
- Poe has been completely redeemed for me. I hated him in TFA, grew to appreciate him in TLJ for being a fuckup. But his relationship with Fin was fantastic in this movie and redeemed him for me.
- I like Fin. Rey also became a lot better for me thismovie. Even if she's still a nearly perfect angel.
- a lot of contrived coincidences really stretched my belief to breaking point. Stuff like The dagger pointing to a broken off piece of death star which just happened to contain the thingy and still has power to automatically open a door.
- Knights of Ren were hilarious. Here comes the shadowy men wielding wifflebats and Gimli's axe. In space! They also accomplished nothing at all.
- I liked the Skype calls, but physically transporting the saber and the beads was too much for me. It sort of broke the force even if it's just for Rey and Ben. Actually why did it still exist? Didn't the last movie say Snoke made the connection.
- Rey didn't need that lightsaber at the end and it would've been better without it, but marketing!
- So many shout outs. Some are fun, some are incredibly forced but ultimately there are a bit too many.
- C3POs big sacrifice being undone. At least the programmer was fantastic. Literal scene stealer that little guy.
- Kylo's helmet was back. Yes it's cool looking, but I loved him smashing it in TLJ. It was a character defining moment.
- Spy Hux was funny
- final battle in space was pretty good imo. I loved the insanity of storming a star destroyer by horse. Conversely Rey and Ben vs Palpatine was dull. The conclusion also annoyingly caused laughter in the theater. (Can't really blame them though, but I prefer it quiet)
Also Let me just slurp your energy, I live so you can easily kill me better!
Why are they both powered by previous generations? Am I watching Avatar in space?
- Snoke being made by Palpatine was great and seems to have broken his wookiepedia page.
- All this and still we don't see Luke's Green Saber! Why does Disney hate it so! (I know it was in a flashback for a brief second)
- Dio was fun, but clearly a marketing addition. His role could've easily been filled by literally anyone and everyone else and it would've been better.
- Rey, Finn and Poe were great together. I loved their banter.
- Helmet girl somehow made a good impression on me. Good character apparently.

There's a good movie hidden in there, but the bad trilogy and overdose of marketing has basically buried it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

2house2fly posted:

Really the only contrivance was that it was her who ended up with the plans, but there's only so many rebels in the galaxy I guess!

And even that got explained easily enough - the plans were given to the leader of the alliance, who gave them to get because, as her daughter, he trusts her a lot.

Also, she was his adoptive daughter because he was a close friend of her birth mother, and they were friends because they were both in politics, and being in politics is why he became a rebel early on, and why he knew where the general was in hiding.

There aren't really that many coincidences in the good movies.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Onmi posted:

All three movies are bad. TLJ isn't interesting or subversive it's a remixed Empire with a scene from RotJ. They're all boring, either mindlessly or rear end dragingly. They are terrible science fiction AND science fantasy.

They are movies produced by a slurry machine and a billion dollar Wookieepedia edit war minus the hilarious nerd insults.

Welcome to the 3rd group.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Barudak posted:

Using the force to teleport objects or healing people were too much for me.

No, dying from using too much force was loving stupid. And to reuse it for 3 consecutive Skywalkers is unimaginative.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ammanas posted:

pretty cool, dude.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

gohmak posted:

No, dying from using too much force was loving stupid. And to reuse it for 3 consecutive Skywalkers is unimaginative.

Lol didn't think of that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dishwasher posted:

That explosion was always gonna be a sequel hook, IMO. Space wizards dying with no body and a dark, hazy cloud going out and away from the point of death is something most people would call shenanigans on and I'm shocked people didn't there as it was obviously teleportation or death defying witchcraft. As poorly done as it was, him being back actually didn't surprise me. What's shocking is how bad it was.

Palpatine's spirit surviving RotJ with his army of clone bodies is straight from the EU Books

not a big surprise

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Palpatine's spirit surviving in Dark Empire was dumb then and it's dumb now

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm still dumbfounded that so many people liked this piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Payndz posted:

And it worked for JJ in Star Trek too when Kirk and Old Spock and Scotty all happened to be within a mile of each other on some random ice planet! Man, the Force can explain any bullshit contrivance - wait.

I loving HATED that.