Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sherlock turned to poo poo by season 3, there was never any hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I tried rewatching the Irene Adler episode from the beginning of season 2 a couple weeks ago as I remembered really liking it when it aired and I haven't seen it since. I don't think even the "good" Sherlock has aged very well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Remember when everyone was really excited for him to take over as showrunner for Doctor Who because he had written some really good episodes?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, Moffat is so frustrating because he's got a lot of talent but his instincts are so poor.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Well, his first season was legit awesome and well thought out. But I feel like he had that one story planned out for years then afterwards realized he had used up his best idea. The other seasons had a number of clever ideas and a few awesome episodes but they never cohered quite as well as the cracks in time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Chairman Capone posted:

I tried rewatching the Irene Adler episode from the beginning of season 2 a couple weeks ago as I remembered really liking it when it aired and I haven't seen it since. I don't think even the "good" Sherlock has aged very well.

I thought it was a lousy detective show but a pretty decent superhero show. At the same time, I have no interest in ever rewatching it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this! posted:

Raising Hope was good outside of that final season where it felt like the show had completely lost its way.

100% agree. I loved the show, and between it, Deadwood and The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Garret Dillahunt quickly became the actor of the decade for me. Well, two decades.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Milo and POTUS posted:

I thought it was a lousy detective show but a pretty decent superhero show. At the same time, I have no interest in ever rewatching it

I had a customer once get absolutely enraged when I said I didn't care for the show. I didn't even say I hated it, just that it didn't work for me anymore. Dude flipped his poo poo and I thought he would actually attack me.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

pahuyuth posted:

Ya know which series I really miss that I've been revisiting? Raising Hope and My Name Is Earl. The former especially.... it was just so sweetly funny and Garret Dillahunt, who is always great, looked like he was having the time of his life with Martha Plimpton and Cloris Leachman. Jimmy and Sabrina were really good together and there were a lot of good funny tearjerker moments between everybody.

Earl was just goofy good innocent fun with a lesson. Jaime Pressly was perfect casting and Ethan Suplee was great too. Hey Crabman!

I think My Name is Earl ended when it should, it had 3 great seasons and we saw what happened when they tried to mix up the formula.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Hakkesshu posted:

Any Netflix Dracula impressions? I'm seriously wondering if I've reached my Steven Moffat breaking point.

Watch ep 1 and 2, skip ep 3 and forget about the last 2 minutes of the second ep

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Rhyno posted:

I had a customer once get absolutely enraged when I said I didn't care for the show. I didn't even say I hated it, just that it didn't work for me anymore. Dude flipped his poo poo and I thought he would actually attack me.

So basically just an extremely typical comic book store interaction? I don't miss that poo poo. loving weird rear end nerds. Normal nerds are fine but come on dude. I never worked at one but my sis ran one so I hung out way too much.

I was one of the folks excited for him to take over Dr Who and was faced with every single episode being a maze theme and they all loving sucked.
As for Sherlock, season 1 holds up and everything after episode 1 of season 2 is complete poo poo. It just gets worse and worse like a loving cancer.

Lastly, the reviews I read about Dracula are all saying it's really good and even "fun". I had considered checking it out but y'all are giving me pause. So no one in here watched it and are making GBS threads on it? Or is it actual poo poo.

Edit: didn't see ZZZorcerer's post

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Don't watch Steven Moffat shows, and please keep the rest of British literature locked away so Steven Moffat cannot get to it and ruin it. It doesn't bear to think what he'd do to Charles Dickens.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Croatoan posted:

As for Sherlock, season 1 holds up and everything after episode 1 of season 2 is complete poo poo. It just gets worse and worse like a loving cancer.

Everything to do with Moriarty is great, I would almost say that season 2 is better than 1.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oasx posted:

Everything to do with Moriarty is great, I would almost say that season 2 is better than 1.

For me to poop on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Moffat's doing Moby Dick next in which Ahab is trying to gently caress the whale.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Sherlock has always been poo poo :ssh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Sherlock has always been poo poo :ssh:

Eh, it was actually kind of solid until his came back to life with NO explanation. And Cumberbatch and Freeman have amazing chemistry.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Speaking of bad TV I'm gonna do a Torchwood rewatch today. It's just Torchwood: Children of Earth so it's not actually bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Croatoan posted:

Speaking of bad TV I'm gonna do a Torchwood rewatch today. It's just Torchwood: Children of Earth so it's not actually bad.

why do you hate yourself

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hey it's not the sex energy alien or the sexy cyberwoman episodes at least. Moffat's bad but RTD is the worst.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Eve Myles is usually entertaining.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Wasn’t Miracle Day pretty decent?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oasx posted:

It was loving terrible.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Why did I sit on Lodge 49 so long.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Okay almost done with Lucifer S2. It's not quite as much of an improvement over S1 as agents of shield improved between S1 and S2 (well, after the Turn Turn Turn ep in S1 to be specific), but I unironically enjoyed parts of the show in S2 for stuff other than Tom Ellis. They seemed to lean much more into the cases being completely ridiculous and superfluous.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Oasx posted:

It tried hard but sucked rear end

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Croatoan posted:

Hey it's not the sex energy alien or the sexy cyberwoman episodes at least. Moffat's bad but RTD is the worst.

Wasn't the Cyberwoman episode done by the current showrunner?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Chairman Capone posted:

Wasn't the Cyberwoman episode done by the current showrunner?

I don't know but considering the shows current quality I would absolutely blame the cyber woman episode on Russell T Davies. He had a super weird hard on to make a kids show weirdly sexual.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If I’m completely honest, I wish Chibnall would dip back into whatever weirdness inspired him to make Cyberwoman because the show is still a little too reserved right now (with maybe two exceptions).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Speaking of Sherlock shows, I haven't seen Elementary since that season where his dad showed up. Did it stay good?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah and it had a really nice ending

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bruceski posted:

Speaking of Sherlock shows, I haven't seen Elementary since that season where his dad showed up. Did it stay good?

Yes. It also managed to nail not one, but two finales! The season finale in s6 was originally planned their series finale, but then the show got renewed for a shortened s7.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Neat. I keep meaning to pick it back up, but that's the story of everyone's TV backlog.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really wish that was on netflix.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Im watching The Witcher now and its actually pretty good! Only finishing up episode 2 so far but I hope something nice happens to the teleporting girl:ohdear:

Henry Cavill really is great as Witcher, every time hes on screen you are really drawn to him

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 4, 2020

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I liked Moffett's version of Jekyll actually.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

same tbh

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It was great until the last episode and then lol if you enjoyed that turd of an ending.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Croatoan posted:

It was great until the last episode and then lol if you enjoyed that turd of an ending.

I honestly can't remember how it ended, and apparently I should keep it that way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

esperterra posted:

I honestly can't remember how it ended, and apparently I should keep it that way!

It is hilariously bad and I will also second that it's good until that last hour.