Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

knox_harrington posted:

Probably not what you want to hear but I'd get nice boots and rent piste skis until you can do it a bit better, and make a better decision about what you want. If you want to buy straight away can you rent some of those 4FRNTs and see how you get on?

Are you interested in backcountry / touring? Different setup needed.

Also get lessons at this point and avoid being a hacker in future.

Nice boots are 100% the priority - I know just enough about ski boots to know that they're make-or-break as far as enjoying it goes. Same with lessons, they're very much on the agenda. The medium/long term goal is to get into touring, but that'll be next season at the earliest. My hope is that I can get skis that will work everywhere this season and just upgrade boots/bindings next year when we start doing some backcountry.

I can demo the 4FRNTs for $40/day in town here and would probably do that this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Ayyyy so I wound up grabbing a lesson because everything is pretty skied out, so why not get some feedback. Wound up getting a couple of pointers on getting back in the front seat on the steeper stuff, but just as importantly, our instructor took us to a couple of softer spots that I didn’t know about. Maybe 75% tour guide, 25% tech talk.

I know there were a couple of folks in here that were on the fence about getting lessons as competent adult skiers. So if you’re unsure about getting a lesson as a grown-rear end person, ask yourself:

- Do I know the mountain really well?
- Am I Biff Huckneck?

If the answer to either of the two is “no” then it’s almost certainly worth it to grab a lesson every now and then. (Also you get to skip the lines, and if you’re Level 7 or whatever there are usually only one or two people in your group)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

highme posted:

Wait, you wear a lower baselayer on 40+ degree days?

I do usually, just open my pants vents and ride with a t-shirt and open jacket or whatever if it's bluebird.

I went with the 200’s as my pants have decent insulation

So highme, I was getting ready to buy an arbor board but it looks like I have a line on a Burton Pro form. Any idea what the discount is on those these days? Last one I used was like 10 years ago. Also wondering be if Burton still has Anon or any other goggles brands?

Headed to Meadows tomorrow, hoping for good snow coming in tonight

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

MMD3 posted:

I do usually, just open my pants vents and ride with a t-shirt and open jacket or whatever if it's bluebird.

I went with the 200’s as my pants have decent insulation

So highme, I was getting ready to buy an arbor board but it looks like I have a line on a Burton Pro form. Any idea what the discount is on those these days? Last one I used was like 10 years ago. Also wondering be if Burton still has Anon or any other goggles brands?

Headed to Meadows tomorrow, hoping for good snow coming in tonight

The forecast for snow is favorable, but with the winds tomorrow being so strong I would worry the high lifts will close and it will be crowded. Kelsey Memorial race is tomorrow as well, so about 400 racers for that either on Stadium or Shooting Star.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm doing a kids instructor course the week after next and got a lesson this afternoon to go through the things I'll be tested on. It's so hard to look good snowploughing! :-| Do they still start with snowplough in the US / Ca? And I will also be tested on weird step turns I guess to check your balance (as well as normal skiing).

Also I picked up flu from my girlfriend and feel like death, but a mate who lives in Italy wants to meet at the top of Zermatt/Cervinia which would be cool. I am currently a zombie but probably should HTFU. Poor me

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yes the snowplow is still the first thing taught to beginners. And I'm guessing the weird step turns are stem Christies? Basically a half snowplow and then lifting the uphill ski and placing it parallel to the downhill ski. If so, it's a turn that was developed in the early 1900s and was used primarily until the 60s when it lost favor to the parallel turn that is now used. However, it's still a good turn to learn and makes for a good transition between the snowplow and parallel turns.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_christie

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

TMMadman posted:

Yes the snowplow is still the first thing taught to beginners. And I'm guessing the weird step turns are stem Christies? Basically a half snowplow and then lifting the uphill ski and placing it parallel to the downhill ski. If so, it's a turn that was developed in the early 1900s and was used primarily until the 60s when it lost favor to the parallel turn that is now used. However, it's still a good turn to learn and makes for a good transition between the snowplow and parallel turns.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_christie

It's not stem christies (though I remember them from when I was small), apparently they are called "pas-tournants" as shown in this extremely Swiss video that I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2QR-YIKT4s

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hmmm...I guess I've sort of done those before just screwing around, but never really thought about it.

Seems sort of like a stem christie except that instead of just sliding the ski into a stem, you pick it up and put it there.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Nice boots are 100% the priority - I know just enough about ski boots to know that they're make-or-break as far as enjoying it goes. Same with lessons, they're very much on the agenda. The medium/long term goal is to get into touring, but that'll be next season at the earliest. My hope is that I can get skis that will work everywhere this season and just upgrade boots/bindings next year when we start doing some backcountry.

I can demo the 4FRNTs for $40/day in town here and would probably do that this weekend.

Yeah get the boots fit (I have no recommendations in Canmore sadly). Sunshine has a great demo program IIRC so for this season try out what the guys there pull off the rack after you describe your skiing preferences and see what you like.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Definitely get boots now and skis later. You can get boots now that will work for touring later, and that’d be ideal. Try different skis this season and get a better feel for what works. Maybe grab something cheap off craigslist until you narrow the gap between ski and board ability. Because at that point you’re going to form stronger preferences about what you want out of a ski and whatever you buy now won’t fit those needs.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I hate to Kramer in here, but I agree with the boots. Specifically due to some boot companies (gently caress you Dabello) fitting so much smaller than every other boot on the market, it can change around your binding setting which could be a pain. Definitely get the good boots first. Or if you cant, and are a picky cheap rear end in a top hat like me who keeps buying 75 dollar boots from ebay, well then, get skis with slide bindings.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Nothing ruins skiing like bad boots. I'll happily ski haggard, dog-poo poo skis if it means I have happy feet.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

MMD3 posted:

Burton’s Pro form is kinda meh, but a discounts a discount I suppose. I bought a Custom camber which is normally about $600, and after paying for shipping and whatnot it cost me ~$430 through the pro form. They are still with Anon and if I didn’t have Smith I/Os already I’d immediately get M2s or M4s with that fancy magnetic face mask.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Also, the best boot is the boot that fits your foot.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Finally found a use for all the lovely locks you get with new guns.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Depends on if it’s sunny out. Which usually is the difference between skiing out west and east.
The sun has been messing with me on cooler days. It gets warm enough while riding to not need much, but overall temp might still be somewhat chilly enough that I still want to dress to be warm while idle.

So far I’ve been able to ride with a compression shirt, tshirt (both dry fit/moisture wicking type), and shell for everything. Definitely gets warm on the warmer days but not unbearable, and just warm enough on the colder days. Course the worst I’ve had is like high teens low 20s with high wind, so I’m not sure if that even counts as all that cold or not relative to what you guys have experienced.

Macnult posted:

They are still with Anon and if I didn’t have Smith I/Os already I’d immediately get M2s or M4s with that fancy magnetic face mask.
Not sure it’s really worth it, but I love my magnetic mask...could’ve saved a bunch on another brand (outlet nearby had others for way less a few weeks after I bought mine), but I’m invested now. Posted this trick earlier, but you don’t have to get their masks btw. They sell replacement magnetic bars by themselves, which you can fish through whatever other mask if there’s space along the edge. Worked for my Blackstrap balaclava, but didn’t seem like it’d work on my friend's mask cause it'd be blocked by padding on his.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anyone got any info on transfer/shuttles to/from Cranbrook airport to Nelson BC? I can rent a car, but i really dont need to (my friend im staying with has two) and theres a shuttle from nelson to whitewater that Id rather be using anyway.

he says greyhound buses dont run anymore, so looking at any option that isnt spending a grand on a car I dont really need for 10 days.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Definitely get boots now and skis later. You can get boots now that will work for touring later, and that’d be ideal.

What kind of boot sole binding standard are we looking for here? I don't think most ski places with demo skis have tech bindings installed, for example.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Suicide Watch posted:

What kind of boot sole binding standard are we looking for here? I don't think most ski places with demo skis have tech bindings installed, for example.

There are lots of "crossover" boots that work with both alpine and tech bindings.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Laserface posted:

Anyone got any info on transfer/shuttles to/from Cranbrook airport to Nelson BC? I can rent a car, but i really dont need to (my friend im staying with has two) and theres a shuttle from nelson to whitewater that Id rather be using anyway.

he says greyhound buses dont run anymore, so looking at any option that isnt spending a grand on a car I dont really need for 10 days.

The other bus shuttle service closed down as well. The latest I saw was Mountain Man Mike's. The problem is it only goes from Cranbrook to Nelson on Tuesday and back on Monday.

https://mountainmanmikes.ca/

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

First day out on my new Line Sick Day 94s. Previously this year and last (my first season skiing) I was on basic rentals and 12 year old hand me downs. I'd consider myself a fast learning low-intermediate -- I've skied a total of 6 times before today and am comfortable on blues.

Someone on another forum said that people from 10-20 years ago would regard modern skis as black magic and I get what they mean now. I was worried I wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference from what I had been using but it was night and day. I could carve turns! The control I had was astonishing compared to the rentals and those 2007 skis, which in comparison feel like planks I could kind of guide towards my general ideas but not in a really accurate or responsive way.

Not sure how much to credit the skis themselves and how much is fresh wax and nice, new edges but it was easily my best and most enjoyable day skiing I've had. Really excited to go again Thursday and just generally see how much progress I can make this season. Gonna go for another couple lessons at some point and see if I can progress to blacks by late Feb.

Skiing is fun af!

E: also these bindings are about a million billion times better than anything else I'd used. Look Pivot 14s. Way easier to engage and undo and just great overall connection to the ski, really good feedback.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 7, 2020

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Macnult posted:

Burton’s Pro form is kinda meh, but a discounts a discount I suppose. I bought a Custom camber which is normally about $600, and after paying for shipping and whatnot it cost me ~$430 through the pro form. They are still with Anon and if I didn’t have Smith I/Os already I’d immediately get M2s or M4s with that fancy magnetic face mask.

do you remember what the discount percent was then? like 30-40%?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The forecast for snow is favorable, but with the winds tomorrow being so strong I would worry the high lifts will close and it will be crowded. Kelsey Memorial race is tomorrow as well, so about 400 racers for that either on Stadium or Shooting Star.

stood in the shuttle line for half an hour because HRM lift apparently ran out of diesel before saying "gently caress this" and going to get boozy coffee drinks and eat frickles at Skyway.

Also it didn't help that I forgot my shell so I would have had to purchase one or ride with just a down puffy that would almost certainly get wet through... Really didn't feel like buying a temporary shell in addition to the lift ticket, will try again another day.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

spwrozek posted:

The other bus shuttle service closed down as well. The latest I saw was Mountain Man Mike's. The problem is it only goes from Cranbrook to Nelson on Tuesday and back on Monday.

https://mountainmanmikes.ca/

Thanks for this. You've been incredibly helpful with all my requests. If you're around Whitewater between 18/1 29/1 I'll buy you a beer or three

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MMD3 posted:

stood in the shuttle line for half an hour because HRM lift apparently ran out of diesel before saying "gently caress this" and going to get boozy coffee drinks and eat frickles at Skyway.

In case you're not aware, the mac & cheese at the Skyway is ridiculously good too.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Just got back from 3 days at Mammoth. Snow coverage was good even if nothing was fresh; I'm a heathen who likes groomed stuff, so I was happy. It was sunny every day and wind was only an issue at the end of the first day when they closed part of the mountain due to wind, but it was already like 2:30 by then. Crowds were significant but reasonable, especially from the singles line. Yesterday was glorious, no clouds, no wind, no crowds, just 5 hours of non-stop skiing

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

highme posted:

In case you're not aware, the mac & cheese at the Skyway is ridiculously good too.

oh I know Skyway's menu very well at this point... have had most permutations of their mac I think. Love that place so much. I was so shocked when they reopened it and I realized it was an amazing bbq place.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Zermatt was nice even if I felt lovely. Great lunch in Italy as well.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Looks like we’re doing two trips out west this year. First one’s to Vail, second one is to crested butte. I’ve never been to crested butte. What should I expect? Cool town? Good place to ski? Any tips?

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

MMD3 posted:

do you remember what the discount percent was then? like 30-40%?

Somewhere in between, I believe. IIRC my board cost me $380 flat, but the catch was tax + shipping.

That said, I absolutely love my Custom Camber. I’m currently at Mount Snow, VT for the week. Yesterday was our first day out and we were fortunate enough to have fresh snow early on. For me, it was my first day riding in 4 years due to shoulder bullshit, so I couldn’t be happier. I’m from Maryland so riding up here is incredible in comparison, to say the least, and for some reason I’m leagues better than I was when I last went out - I’m guessing because I’m in better shape.

Anyway, just kinda thinking with my thumbs right now. I belong in the mountains.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Looks like we’re doing two trips out west this year. First one’s to Vail, second one is to crested butte. I’ve never been to crested butte. What should I expect? Cool town? Good place to ski? Any tips?

It’s awful.

In all seriousness, CB is a really cool town. Are you staying on the mountain, or in town? All of the good restaurants are in town. There is also a really good bagel shop to grab some breakfast before you ski. Secret stash is good pizza. Coal Creek Grille is good for dinner. But there are a bunch of places that are all very good, The Last Steep, etc. Django’s is good but the service is slow as all hell.

The mountain: it’s basically divided into three parts. There is a bunch of beginner/intermediate terrain in the middle. All of the steep stuff is off of either highlift, or the north face. You can see it all on the trail map. Most of that is closed right now, but if you go later in the season it should all be open.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dangerllama posted:

It’s awful.

In all seriousness, CB is a really cool town. Are you staying on the mountain, or in town? All of the good restaurants are in town. There is also a really good bagel shop to grab some breakfast before you ski. Secret stash is good pizza. Coal Creek Grille is good for dinner. But there are a bunch of places that are all very good, The Last Steep, etc. Django’s is good but the service is slow as all hell.

The mountain: it’s basically divided into three parts. There is a bunch of beginner/intermediate terrain in the middle. All of the steep stuff is off of either highlift, or the north face. You can see it all on the trail map. Most of that is closed right now, but if you go later in the season it should all be open.

Not sure, my wife's friends rented a big place that's supposed to be pretty nice. How's the skiing? We're going in March so hopefully should see some better snow.

highme
May 25, 2001

I've never been, but Crested Butte has some of the steepest in bounds terrain in the continental US.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yeah, steeps are basically half the mountain. Apparently, Rambo is the steepest sustained run in NA at 55° from top to bottom. There are spots off Paradise where you can go from EZ traverse to puckeringly steep just by turning right.

It’s a pretty normal year (fingers crossed), so things are bony right now. Patrol was bombing stuff off Silver Queen, and packing snow off Hard Slab (ish?) when I was there last week. By March, everything should be open and covered. Hopefully.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 7, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

Not sure, my wife's friends rented a big place that's supposed to be pretty nice. How's the skiing? We're going in March so hopefully should see some better snow.

March will be perfect. The steeps will be open and you will most likely have powder or great weather and corn snow. Possibly both.

CB is super awesome.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CB owns.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Macnult posted:

Somewhere in between, I believe. IIRC my board cost me $380 flat, but the catch was tax + shipping.

That said, I absolutely love my Custom Camber. I’m currently at Mount Snow, VT for the week. Yesterday was our first day out and we were fortunate enough to have fresh snow early on. For me, it was my first day riding in 4 years due to shoulder bullshit, so I couldn’t be happier. I’m from Maryland so riding up here is incredible in comparison, to say the least, and for some reason I’m leagues better than I was when I last went out - I’m guessing because I’m in better shape.

Anyway, just kinda thinking with my thumbs right now. I belong in the mountains.

what size did you get? Custom Camber is definitely what I'm leaning towards, not sure that I know enough about what differentiates the Flight Attendant but it seems like Custom is the way to go for all mountain.

I'm like 5'11 190 w/ size 11 boot. I think it's between 158 and 158W as my foot size is kind of right on the border.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Something that I noticed while I was skiing was that it felt like my heel was coming up from the bottom of my boot when I was really digging in on turns. I had my boots buckled as tightly as I could without my legs cramping or being horribly uncomfortable. Should this be happened or is this a sign that I might have worn out my current boots? I've also probably lost 40 pounds since I bought these boots so my maybe my feet are just less fat?

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

MMD3 posted:

what size did you get? Custom Camber is definitely what I'm leaning towards, not sure that I know enough about what differentiates the Flight Attendant but it seems like Custom is the way to go for all mountain.

I'm like 5'11 190 w/ size 11 boot. I think it's between 158 and 158W as my foot size is kind of right on the border.

Definitely should get a wide as Burton waist widths, especially on the custom, are pretty narrow. Also, depending on what you mean by "all mountain" the FA is definitely in that wheelhouse. It's a pretty fun board, I would have purchased one a few years ago if the waist widths weren't tiny.