Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
You know how you toss out a joke that sticks to the back of your mind, clinging on, silently nudging like that friend who doesn't get a hint. Persistent and ever-present. Waiting to be made into more than just a joke.

Then suddenly it's 2am and you've just spent an hour and a half not just doodling, but lovingly crafting a Final Fantasy Eevee: One Winged Angel

Yeah. It's a steel type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Angrymog posted:

You'll want to use them on glossy paper, or at least not super-absorbant paper or the paper will absorb too much ink. I like your Kiwi textures.

Thank you! I will have to get my hands on some glossy paper and try that out.

I found some colored pencils in my pile of old art supplies, and using them to draw Pokémon definitely feels very nostalgic.

Sharpedo has the weirdest proportions of any fictional animal.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Yeah. It's a steel type.

This is great and is giving me ideas for Eevees. I'm thinking a flying one with wings for ears, and a normal one that's just the same thing but fluffier (and named Eeveevee).

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 4, 2020

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
thank you for the critiques

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Skipped a day. Here is sharpedo

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Medenmath posted:

Thank you! I will have to get my hands on some glossy paper and try that out.

I used a bunch of bienfang graphics 360 paper in school for larger marker renderings, but later and in practice now, I just used bond paper or good printer paper. it's more absorbant than the bienfang stuff, but doable.

I also recommend looking up design marker rendering techniques -- it might give you a little better off an idea of how to show volume/curvature a bit more with them!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Of course I should have done a Pokémon as the swimmer. Maybe I'll composite the lemon in?

Keetron, if you're still giving away stuff, I'd love a box of random things if you'll ship to the UK

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Quick and dirty guava. Derwent Graphitints. Still on lovely paper

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Angrymog posted:

Of course I should have done a Pokémon as the swimmer. Maybe I'll composite the lemon in?

Keetron, if you're still giving away stuff, I'd love a box of random things if you'll ship to the UK

Yup, have one box left to send, just PM me your address.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Day 4. Guava.

This paper is really sweet, it is khadi rag paper.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Trying to hold myself accountable, even if the finished product isn't the best....

Practice portrait of comedian Lauren Lapkus, who is very pretty. My portrait is not as flattering as I'd hoped. I purposefully broke the "no teeth" rule of portraits, because they'll always look bad if I don't practice.

This was 90ish minutes? How do people make hair look good without spending hours on it.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Still trying to teach myself digital painting, Here's my Sharpedo.

and I'm pretty disappointed my guava wasn't ripe, but it was till pretty tasty so whatever.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i don't think i've ever actually eaten a gauva

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Happy new year goons! Four days in, still being good about getting stuff done, and not just drawing. I won't post every little sketch, but I'm super happy with the bottom two feet. They're so gnarled and horrible, I love them.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Paging Dr Tarantino

(cos those are some sexy feet)

lofi fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 4, 2020

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Working with dying 7-year-old markers

Bonus work doodles on receipt paper

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I'm so proud of you all and so happy to see so many taking part in drawnuary. I always find it exciting to see several artists' version of the same theme, it's like an Andy Warhol that you actually like looking at and that doesn't suck.

I had to google guavas, so I could give you Guaveon:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Wild Skidoo photo-synthesizing on the cliffs.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

New year boi.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
a january double prompt:

commonly used kitchen item

style redraw of this Pink Panther screencap

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

:vince:

(I also like the original drawing!)

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Keetron posted:

Day 4. Guava.

This paper is really sweet, it is khadi rag paper.

I really love the texture, thanks for mentioning the paper so I didn't need to ask. Adds so much to the colourslides. This is a really succesful fruit.

sigma 6 posted:

New year boi.

Chonky! I love the smudging, really adds to the blobbiness.

Angrymog posted:

Wild Skidoo photo-synthesizing on the cliffs.

Aaaahhh scenery, so relaxing. More people should do scenery with incidental pokemon in it.

C. E. Croix posted:

Working with dying 7-year-old markers

The graininess works well with the subject, curiously. It's like an extra edge on a design that's already basically nothing but edges.

Gnossiennes posted:

i don't think i've ever actually eaten a guava

I would eat these guavas so hard. I love your use of textural brushes.

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

and I'm pretty disappointed my guava wasn't ripe, but it was till pretty tasty so whatever.

Soft and gentle fairy-fruit. Like fruit in a dream. Would also eat these.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Happy new year goons! Four days in, still being good about getting stuff done, and not just drawing. I won't post every little sketch, but I'm super happy with the bottom two feet. They're so gnarled and horrible, I love them.

Feet are so difficult, you're doing a good job! Can you tell me the ref you used for the bottom left foot? There's something about it that tickles the back of my brain, screaming "classical arts" like a statue or one of those super blumpy classic paintings where every tiny muscle is a lil bulge, but I can't quite put my finger on why.

Franchescanado posted:

This was 90ish minutes? How do people make hair look good without spending hours on it.

Deals with the devil. It's kinda like fur, it's all about the notes you don't play. You're actually not far from target here, hair's easiest to depict as a big mass that you then separate a couple of individual strands from. You've got the mass down, you just need to draw on a couple of swooshy strands where some clumps settle.

Fish Noise posted:

a january double prompt:

commonly used kitchen item

Niiiiice. At first look I was like "why tf is someone posting their thermos in this thread".

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Deals with the devil. It's kinda like fur, it's all about the notes you don't play. You're actually not far from target here, hair's easiest to depict as a big mass that you then separate a couple of individual strands from. You've got the mass down, you just need to draw on a couple of swooshy strands where some clumps settle.

Thank you for this specific advice. Will experiment with it.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I really love the texture, thanks for mentioning the paper so I didn't need to ask. Adds so much to the colourslides. This is a really succesful fruit.

All this months drawing are in: https://khadi.com/shop/hard-back-books-hb5-wr/
Looking at the price it seems steep but with how much I enjoy using it, which is way more than anticipated, it is rather affordable.

Now to get me some Skiddo on that paper, it is already late afternoon!
And a papaya, I have no time to draw tomorrow!

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Hi hello I survived another art rut and got caught up again!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Feet are so difficult, you're doing a good job! Can you tell me the ref you used for the bottom left foot? There's something about it that tickles the back of my brain, screaming "classical arts" like a statue or one of those super blumpy classic paintings where every tiny muscle is a lil bulge, but I can't quite put my finger on why.

Nah, it's just Line Of Action, set it to male feet and you should find that one in no time. I like 'blumpy' as a descriptor; I'm terrible at shading, so the fact that there's a lot of landmarks to work off and shape form with simple lines makes feet a lot of fun to noodle over.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

WHAAAAAT?

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

There's a local artist in my area that makes greeting cards with this exact style and palette. If you wrote "You gotta be skiddin' me!" you could slap that up in her shop and nobody'd be the wiser.

Posting Drawnuary seems like a good way to hold myself accountable for drawing practice. I haven't drawn anything in about 10 years, but I had an existential crisis around my 29th birthday and don't want to die without making a comic or else all I've done with my life is sell license plates. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing anymore, but any progress is better than not drawing at all! Here are three days' worth of belated posts:

How do you guys find free time to draw during the work week without real life getting in the way? Even doing what little I just did took far longer than I thought.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

The Halogens posted:

There's a local artist in my area that makes greeting cards with this exact style and palette. If you wrote "You gotta be skiddin' me!" you could slap that up in her shop and nobody'd be the wiser.
She is making legit money of this?? Tourists I bet, they buy anything.

The Halogens posted:

Posting Drawnuary seems like a good way to hold myself accountable for drawing practice. I haven't drawn anything in about 10 years, but I had an existential crisis around my 29th birthday and don't want to die without making a comic or else all I've done with my life is sell license plates. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing anymore, but any progress is better than not drawing at all! Here are three days' worth of belated posts:

How do you guys find free time to draw during the work week without real life getting in the way? Even doing what little I just did took far longer than I thought.
If this is what you draw after a decade of not drawing, I am looking forward to what you do when you get back into it, that is some serious groovy inking.
And I blame the randomizer for any goatee wearing pokemon, two in a row no less!

I have time after the kids are in bed, the work I do needs to dry a lot in between as the gradients need a ton of water. So I do a layer, wait 20 minutes (play vidya games), do another layer, etc, till done when it is 21:30 and time for my bed. It is my me-time and I found zen in it.

Tomorrows fruit, I have other obligations (a colleague farewell party)

Keetron fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 5, 2020

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i love all those little highlights!!!!

persimmons today, which i have actually eaten and love

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I'm so proud of you all and so happy to see so many taking part in drawnuary. I always find it exciting to see several artists' version of the same theme, it's like an Andy Warhol that you actually like looking at and that doesn't suck.

I had to google guavas, so I could give you Guaveon:

Wow, that's awesome looking, it looks so juicy.

Here's my skiddo!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

The Halogens posted:

Welcome to the "drawing so you're not just know for your work because your actual work is not creative in the least" club!
I managed by setting aside a drawtime on purpose. After work, exercise and dinner, around half past midnight. It's not much, half an hour to an hour a day. Having a set time helps keep you drawing even when you're not feeling it, because there's always gonna be times when you're not feeling it and for me, personally, just waiting for the urge to pop up naturally means I'll suddenly need to paint until it's 5 am and then I'll die at work. Or I'll be at work and get an inconvenient art boner and there's nothing I can do about it. Mind, real life will still get in the way, sometimes you're just too tired or achy or busy, but making the effort to keep a consistent schedule helps.

I kinda like the mega sharpedo design as an example of ott piling more and more on until you've got knives: the sharkening.

Oh right and I made a Skideon:

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 6, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I've been on leave the past few days, but usually during the week I take advantage of having an hour long lunchbreak rather than the usual half hour. Also I'll be swopping back to less time consuming media for my weekday pictures.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I got mad at my watercolour palette box and impluse bought 3 different ones from eBay. Hopefully I'll actually paint more if I get one I like.

Followup question:

What's the best way to move watercolour paint from a pan to a well on the new palette? Can I just dissolve it in water and pour it in the well or will it not re-solidify properly? I only ask because Daniel Smith ain't cheap.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 6, 2020

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Everyone's advice all sounds like what I did for NaNoWriMo. Make blocks of time no matter what, sneak in small bits when possible. By hook or by crook, I will paint fruits!

Keetron posted:

She is making legit money of this?? Tourists I bet, they buy anything.

Maybe not legit money, but enough to rent out a little shop for her art. Oddly enough, it is a tourist town.

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Grass goat.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Love them goats.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

I got mad at my watercolour palette box and impluse bought 3 different ones from eBay. Hopefully I'll actually paint more if I get one I like.

Followup question:

What's the best way to move watercolour paint from a pan to a well on the new palette? Can I just dissolve it in water and pour it in the well or will it not re-solidify properly? I only ask because Daniel Smith ain't cheap.

You fill wells in palettes with tubes, not using pans. You can use a tube a lot more than a pan, like 5 times more. Calculate your value but realize it really dedicates you to watercolor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Keetron posted:

You fill wells in palettes with tubes, not using pans. You can use a tube a lot more than a pan, like 5 times more. Calculate your value but realize it really dedicates you to watercolor.

Yeah I guess I didn't explain myself properly. I put my David Smith paint from tubes into the pans of my palette box. They then dried and I use it normally. I was asking about transferring that from the pans to the wells. I could put what's left of the tubes into the wells, but it seems a shame (and expensive) to just let the stuff in the pans to just go unused. Hence my question about moving it into the wells.