Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
I have a question about knocking mules/homo demens out; Does knocking them unconscious last the same amount of time as making them sleep? Also do tying them up with bolas change anything about the time they stay disabled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if you can kick a mule when they're down they're not out. if you can't kick them they're down for good

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

I have a question about knocking mules/homo demens out; Does knocking them unconscious last the same amount of time as making them sleep? Also do tying them up with bolas change anything about the time they stay disabled?

Former is “yes”, with the apparent side benefit that “sleeping” they can’t be roused by friends (KO’d, if someone you missed shows up they can start a party)

If you bola them they get up on their own unless you bola them with a loving skull embrace, which counts as a KO

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Former is “yes”, with the apparent side benefit that “sleeping” they can’t be roused by friends (KO’d, if someone you missed shows up they can start a party)

If you bola them they get up on their own unless you bola them with a loving skull embrace, which counts as a KO
I knew about the bolas but not so much the enemies who are put to sleep can't be woken.

My bad, i think i didn't quite express myself well enough; I meant how long does the camp remain "disabled" if you go do deliveries/rest in a private room.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Seems like it's around two real life hours, unless you rest at a private room in which case they're much more likely to come back OR save/quit/load the game in which case they come back instantly. If you take a mission that requires you go to a camp you've cleared, they'll seemingly also instantly respawn. I've cleared out a camp on my own, immediately taken a mission to retrieve stuff from there, and then got shot at a bunch when they were unexpectedly all awake again.

edit: If you kill everyone in a camp, they apparently stay gone for much longer, but that's not really worth it.

Here's a fun fact by the way, if you see a friendly porter carrying lost cargo, they got it from a MULE camp you've cleared. Sometimes after you clear one you can come back and see them poking around the MULE postboxes and taking stuff from them.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 4, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anyone know if Chiral rubber bullets are better than regular rubber bullets against humans?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

CJacobs posted:

Here's a fun fact by the way, if you see a friendly porter carrying lost cargo, they got it from a MULE camp you've cleared. Sometimes after you clear one you can come back and see them poking around the MULE postboxes and taking stuff from them.
You can actually see that process on the map if you get the "show porters on map" backpack trinket. So cool that all those movements are simulated even if you're not there. I assume dead MULEs causing voidouts work the same way and it's not just a random timer once you're out of range

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you're feeling especially cruel you also can kill some of the MULEs in a camp and leave the corpses around, wait a while, and then watch as the BTs flock to them and chow down. Eventually it'll start raining in the area and the BTs will come and cause voidout after voidout until everyone in the camp is dead. If you're too close obviously the resulting voidout will kill you too.

night slime
May 14, 2014
BT can have a little mule

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Haha holy poo poo. I just jumped off a zip line in the middle of a BT zone and just by coincidence a BT caught me in mid air and Sam just faceplanted right into the tar pool. Be careful out there!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CJacobs posted:

If you're feeling especially cruel you also can kill some of the MULEs in a camp and leave the corpses around, wait a while, and then watch as the BTs flock to them and chow down. Eventually it'll start raining in the area and the BTs will come and cause voidout after voidout until everyone in the camp is dead. If you're too close obviously the resulting voidout will kill you too.

Are you sure about this? I thought corpses necrotizing was an instant game over.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yup, here's a video of it happening over and over to some poor bastards.

edit: You can hear the 'glug glug' of Sam repatriating in that video so if you're present when it happens it doesn't give you a game over. You only get one if you leave until Die Hardman starts chiding you, if he doesn't call you, you're good.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 4, 2020

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
What exactly happens if you are nowhere near when a voidout occurs? Is that even possible

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

CJacobs posted:

edit: If you kill everyone in a camp, they apparently stay gone for much longer, but that's not really worth it.

The optimum (read: only) scenario I’d do this in is if you’re going through a mule camp to pick up an order to go back through. There’s one in chapter 2. But to be honest I don’t think I’d bother if you have a trike available, which is basically every case where it happens.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

CJacobs posted:

Haha holy poo poo. I just jumped off a zip line in the middle of a BT zone and just by coincidence a BT caught me in mid air and Sam just faceplanted right into the tar pool. Be careful out there!

I wasn't paying attention once and they pulled me off the zipline while I was hanging there at a stop. That was a surprise.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

WaltherFeng posted:

What exactly happens if you are nowhere near when a voidout occurs? Is that even possible

That's what's implied to cause the game over if you're far away, but I don't think it'll happen in front of you unless you're close enough for it to kill you. It can also happen to friendly porters wandering through BT areas :ohdear:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is there anything to Episode 15 other than just to let you continue to play?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
A few lore bits only show up then, they provide some context to bits of the story that aren't immediately relevant but inform what happened, like what happened to Sam's wife.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
So I’m 35h into the game, and I just finished chapter 3. Jeez. What’s the pacing of this game like? Am I like halfway through it?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

minya posted:

So I’m 35h into the game, and I just finished chapter 3. Jeez. What’s the pacing of this game like? Am I like halfway through it?

No, although the chapters eventually start speeding up. You can beeline the main plot deliveries but that defeats the cool and chill nature of the game imo

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

No, although the chapters eventually start speeding up. You can beeline the main plot deliveries but that defeats the cool and chill nature of the game imo

Ok yeah I figured. I’m definitely taking my time, doing lots of standard deliveries in between the story ones.

On that note, what’s the best strategy for farming resources? Is it raiding mule camps? I have 3 or 4 chunks of road left until South Knot City and they take crazy amounts of materials.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
If you can’t fabricate a car yet I’d beeline for that, after that point you have options:

- Raiding mule camps and running off with more cargo than god, or
- Claiming all the materials you can from everyone

when you claim materials you’ll usually end up with followup standard orders to restock the place you ransacked

also make sure if you get a, say, “deliver metals” order, claim all the metals from the place you’re delivering to and dump it all in your private locker so you don’t overcap their metal storage, etc

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

minya posted:

Ok yeah I figured. I’m definitely taking my time, doing lots of standard deliveries in between the story ones.

On that note, what’s the best strategy for farming resources? Is it raiding mule camps? I have 3 or 4 chunks of road left until South Knot City and they take crazy amounts of materials.

ha ha ha, i used to think that, and now my next stretch of road costs 6,000 ceramics :I

yeah mule camps are the best for farming resources. you build up a decent amount at your supply centers and prepper caches and once you have a zipline network up and running you can ferry stuff around relatively easily but mule camps regenerate a lot faster than materials you can claim do.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

minya posted:

3 is still very early. But definitely take your time, the first playthrough is the best.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

WaltherFeng posted:

3 is still very early. But definitely take your time, the first playthrough is the best.

Some chapters are much longer than others. 3 and 4 are two of the longest, from my memory. They're also the easiest to get distracted doing side stuff in.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

minya posted:

The chapter numbers are not very indicative of gameplay progression. There are technically 15 chapters but you will likely spend 80% of your playtime getting to chapter 8

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So is (End spoilers)Amelie's beach on the moon? Or is seeing the Earth from it just a metaphor?

EDIT: I'm beginning to think the Mads flaskbacks were written by someone else since they are so much better than the rest of the game's writing.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 5, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RatHat posted:

So is (End spoilers)Amelie's beach on the moon? Or is seeing the Earth from it just a metaphor?

EDIT: I'm beginning to think the Mads flaskbacks were written by someone else since they are so much better than the rest of the game's writing.

It's just a metaphor, but it could represent a number of things like her control and observation over the fate of humanity or just how far away and difficult to reach her Beach is.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Can you not get CHVRCHES song on the music player ingame?

EDIT: I wonder if it's possible to beat the whole game barefoot.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 5, 2020

night slime
May 14, 2014
I don't think chvrches is available. I'd probably listen to nothing but it so maybe a good thing.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

RatHat posted:

Can you not get CHVRCHES song on the music player ingame?

That song is way too upbeat to actually be in the game. Good montage music though.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

minya posted:

I would say go ahead and beeline it until you get to Heartman or at least the mountain. That unlocks all the locations that get you good stuff and the useful buildings and things like that. If you have zip lines, warp back to Port Knot and get everyone there to 5 stars, it's super loving easy with a decent zip network.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DropsySufferer posted:

That song is way too upbeat to actually be in the game. Good montage music though.

It does play in the game at one point though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

while i was truckin down the road looking for where i put my bridge to drive up to the weather station something caught my attention out of the corner of my eye, and it was some kind of black ball floating in the air shooting lighting so uh. what uh. what's that about.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

rabidsquid posted:

while i was truckin down the road looking for where i put my bridge to drive up to the weather station something caught my attention out of the corner of my eye, and it was some kind of black ball floating in the air shooting lighting so uh. what uh. what's that about.

You’re gonna need to provide a screenshot because I have no idea what you’re talking about. Like where was it? How high into the air?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

rabidsquid posted:

Sometimes items teleport in from other players' games right in front of you, it was probably someone else's lost cargo becoming eligible for delivery.

night slime
May 14, 2014

RatHat posted:

It does play in the game at one point though.

I think it's more like all the songs you can play are kind of somber and meant to communicate a mood, hence why they blocked spotify.

I put a motorcycle near a zipline and when I went back to it the hologram was standing on top of the motorcycle...get off dude.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Believe it or not, the Chvrches song and the rest that are on your music player by default are in-universe pieces. They have their own official album called "Death Stranding: Timefall (Original Music from the World of Death Stranding)". That's why they all have a different tone than the non-diagetic music that plays during story missions.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 6, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

rabidsquid posted:

At the borders of the playable area there are like floating rocks that look like barrage balloons with all the poo poo dripping from them, is that it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

skooma512 posted:

At the borders of the playable area there are like floating rocks that look like barrage balloons with all the poo poo dripping from them, is that it?

It's this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMDT8VqU6TM