Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Tremek posted:

You’re high if you think you can wedge two boosters and a front facing car seat into an M3 for any long-term setup.

It is true, but it was fun to dream. Friggin car seats are the worst.

So I drove the white 2006 yesterday. On my first pass at looking at it I just poked around, started it, tested every little thing and made sure it worked. I was in a time crunch so didn't drive it. Second time I went back with my wife they were in process of replacing the windshield that was cracked so I couldn't drive it then. Went yesterday and drove it. Initial impressions - the five speed and VVT engine are so much faster than my old one. It runs really well, but the steering is pretty vague. The rack is probably done for and/or tie rod ends. That would explain the worn inner front tires. It is a little stiff getting in and out of low range on the transfer case - probably because it has literally never been done on this thing.

I am the only person who has looked at it. I know this because the first time I looked at it two weeks ago I left it in the "high" mode on the suspension and it was still that way yesterday. They agreed to let me have a shop do a PPI on it. Literally next door is a place called State Automotive that is the local authority for Land Cruisers - they did my alignment on my 99 so they will do the inspection today (maybe) but more likely Thursday. I told them everything I could see that was wrong with it but I am betting they will find more. It is $140, but it should net me far more than that on a discount from the seller. My plan is I will just approach them with the list of what needs to be done and basically tell them "nobody is looking at this thing but me. No bank is going to finance a car with 230K miles, and I am aware of every single thing that is wrong with it. You took it in on trade. I will buy it from you for (X) or you can just let it sit, or go to the wholesalers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

One thing I noticed with Hagerty was that (and this is for the hiace I had which I sold pretty quickly as people were asking me to sell it left and right) they actually let me set my own replacement cost.

Hagerty, Grundy, etc are agreed value versus stated that normal insurance is. But you're not going to get agreed value on a daily driver without paying a stupid amount for it and probably have limits on how you can actually use it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Somewhat Heroic posted:

It is true, but it was fun to dream. Friggin car seats are the worst.

So I drove the white 2006 yesterday. On my first pass at looking at it I just poked around, started it, tested every little thing and made sure it worked. I was in a time crunch so didn't drive it. Second time I went back with my wife they were in process of replacing the windshield that was cracked so I couldn't drive it then. Went yesterday and drove it. Initial impressions - the five speed and VVT engine are so much faster than my old one. It runs really well, but the steering is pretty vague. The rack is probably done for and/or tie rod ends. That would explain the worn inner front tires. It is a little stiff getting in and out of low range on the transfer case - probably because it has literally never been done on this thing.

I am the only person who has looked at it. I know this because the first time I looked at it two weeks ago I left it in the "high" mode on the suspension and it was still that way yesterday. They agreed to let me have a shop do a PPI on it. Literally next door is a place called State Automotive that is the local authority for Land Cruisers - they did my alignment on my 99 so they will do the inspection today (maybe) but more likely Thursday. I told them everything I could see that was wrong with it but I am betting they will find more. It is $140, but it should net me far more than that on a discount from the seller. My plan is I will just approach them with the list of what needs to be done and basically tell them "nobody is looking at this thing but me. No bank is going to finance a car with 230K miles, and I am aware of every single thing that is wrong with it. You took it in on trade. I will buy it from you for (X) or you can just let it sit, or go to the wholesalers"

Vague steering on the 02 onwards 100’s with that many miles is probably the rack bushings AND rack ends and tie rods. The 06 LX’s also have variable ratio steering that the earlier ones didn’t.

So you going to get a bullbar for it?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Hey Somewhat Heroic, not sure your must haves but a 03 just popped on the Boise Craigslist for 10k. Looks pretty nice from the pictures (minus the wheels). Same color as your old one. I’d consider it if I were going to replace my 80.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/charlotte-white-lexus-gx470-4wd-v8/7040909269.html

Budget friendly 09 gx470?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

The 2006 LX 470 is a bust. That is why you get the PPI people. There appears to be a slight oil leak at the pan. To get to the pan you simply need to remove the engine and transmission book rates being about 20 hours labor. Rear shock is leaking slightly as well. Replace it and the pressure of the AHC will just find a way to fail in the next weakest spot (plus the rear shock is the absolute worst to remove on the LX). The radiator is packed in and needs replacing. They would need to give me the truck for $6K for me to even consider it at this point. The steering rack is leaking and the 2006 is a special bird that for ~reasons~ is $1302 for the new OEM unit :yikes:

savesthedayrocks posted:

Hey Somewhat Heroic, not sure your must haves but a 03 just popped on the Boise Craigslist for 10k. Looks pretty nice from the pictures (minus the wheels). Same color as your old one. I’d consider it if I were going to replace my 80.
https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/caldwell-2003-toyota-landcruiser/7047666428.html
Doesn't look too bad. If I am being honest I want one with less miles or more features based on that many miles. Good start though.

The GX is seemingly everywhere. I see them all the time, pricing is reasonable and usually better than their T4R counterparts. I just hate the swing out rear door, and I want the space of the LC/LX. They are a really nice size, especially the rear bench.

I don't want to get too excited but I just found this on Autotrader and based on the quality of the photos and seemingly transparency I am super interested in this: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...LC&LNX=VDPCCEML

The juicy part; factory rear diff lock. Only offered on the 98/99. The center diff lock was standard on everything. Nice upgrades, an appropriate size lift. I am feeling it. Messaged the seller, hope to hear back soon.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The 2006 LX 470 is a bust. That is why you get the PPI people. There appears to be a slight oil leak at the pan. To get to the pan you simply need to remove the engine and transmission book rates being about 20 hours labor.

No you dont? You drop the front diff out, which is about... 3hrs work each way!

Not unless the V8 is some special magical unicorn compared to the straight 6 diesels.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ferremit posted:

No you dont? You drop the front diff out, which is about... 3hrs work each way!

Not unless the V8 is some special magical unicorn compared to the straight 6 diesels.

So there's not a nice massive crossmember that goes under the engine like on literally every other full-frame vehicle I've ever seen?
I can't even change the oil pan on my '70 Olds without at least lifting the engine up.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I don't want to get too excited but I just found this on Autotrader and based on the quality of the photos and seemingly transparency I am super interested in this: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...LC&LNX=VDPCCEML

This is a real nice looking 99 and maybe even a decent owner. Seems like a lot of money for a 99, but not outrageous if it is as clean as it looks.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Darchangel posted:

So there's not a nice massive crossmember that goes under the engine like on literally every other full-frame vehicle I've ever seen?
I can't even change the oil pan on my '70 Olds without at least lifting the engine up.

My favorite is the '97-03 F-150 2wd. The 4wd trucks have a removable crossmember, the 2wd ones have it welded in place. gently caress it, that truck didn't leak enough oil for me to mess with the oil pan gasket.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Nope, the crossmember that goes under the front diff and engine is removable (so you can get the diff out)

Basically there’s a welded crossmember under the radiator, and then the next welded in one is the torsion bar mount behind the transfer case. Both the diff and transmission crossmember bolt on

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The 2006 LX 470 is a bust. That is why you get the PPI people. There appears to be a slight oil leak at the pan. To get to the pan you simply need to remove the engine and transmission book rates being about 20 hours labor. Rear shock is leaking slightly as well. Replace it and the pressure of the AHC will just find a way to fail in the next weakest spot (plus the rear shock is the absolute worst to remove on the LX). The radiator is packed in and needs replacing. They would need to give me the truck for $6K for me to even consider it at this point. The steering rack is leaking and the 2006 is a special bird that for ~reasons~ is $1302 for the new OEM unit :yikes:

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/caldwell-2003-toyota-landcruiser/7047666428.html
Doesn't look too bad. If I am being honest I want one with less miles or more features based on that many miles. Good start though.

The GX is seemingly everywhere. I see them all the time, pricing is reasonable and usually better than their T4R counterparts. I just hate the swing out rear door, and I want the space of the LC/LX. They are a really nice size, especially the rear bench.

The juicy part; factory rear diff lock. Only offered on the 98/99. The center diff lock was standard on everything. Nice upgrades, an appropriate size lift. I am feeling it. Messaged the seller, hope to hear back soon.

Remember that there's no stability control or ATRAC on 1998-1999 trucks. Also no LATCH connectors for kids car seats. They're also gutless. ;/

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Finally had the time to get new tires on my gx, went with the falken wildpeaks. Haven't had a chance to try them off-road yet, but they seem fine so far on the road. No major change in road noise, I can kinda feel the larger tread in the steering, but not in a bad way and it seems to ride a bit nicer too.

I also had the fun of the alternator going out on me. Luckily the battery light came on when I was about to leave my house, so I caught it before I got stranded from the battery going flat. Would have been downright easy swap if the power steering pulley didn't block the alternator from coming off it's studs. That and the nut on the lower stud seized on it and the whole thing backed out of the block. This is the first car I have owned that I didn't have to jack up since there is enough ground clearance for me to crawl under the front end.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Tremek posted:

Remember that there's no stability control or ATRAC on 1998-1999 trucks. Also no LATCH connectors for kids car seats. They're also gutless. ;/

My LX was a 99 so I am all familiar with the gutlessness and the absence of the LATCH system.

Seriously catching a giant case of ‘The Effits’ as we call it in my house. Find a $20k 200 series like this one; http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/1f0e4cb9

I messaged that dude with a few specific questions and requests for some photos and he wrote back ‘I’m in mission Viejo’ :what: no poo poo dude, it’s right there in the ad. So I replied back again asking for some specifics and he ghosted me. I don’t understand why there are so many half assed sellers. Really beginning to feel like I straight lucked out with my LX big time. They’re impossible to find in decent shape without being $15k+. I just don’t think a 100 series is worth that. Just as soon buy a 200 series for just a little bit more.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Now you’re talkin’. PS there’s a built in roof mounted DVD screen to regale your kids with. Give in to the dark side

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I've driven the 100 and the 120s and while my 100 is finally working out for me after fixing all the stupid neglected poo poo and rust from the PO, if I were to do it over again I'd get a gx460 or a 200 and just eat the price. Since I tow the 5.7 in the 200 is REALLY appealing. Plus the 100 front end is loving dumb and I hate every time I have to go in it.

In other news I grabbed a military trailer from the 50s or 60s for a friend who has an xterra for offroading. He wants to build it out for more room and get his RTT off his truck. Hes got a SO and two big huskies so more room will be appreciated.

Slow is Fast fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 6, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ferremit posted:

Nope, the crossmember that goes under the front diff and engine is removable (so you can get the diff out)

Basically there’s a welded crossmember under the radiator, and then the next welded in one is the torsion bar mount behind the transfer case. Both the diff and transmission crossmember bolt on

Nice!
The front crossmember in my Crown Vic comes out, but it also holds all of the front suspension, and, as I recall, the engine as well.
Still might be easier than pulling the engine...

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
drat it, now I’m entertaining the idea of selling my 2010 F150 with only 66k miles for and older, higher mileage LX470. I know it wouldn’t be the smart move, but it would be the right move.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I finally get to post some content in this thread. I've been looking for a while for a used GX 460 in Luxury trim, with the added driver support package (crawl control, adaptive cruise control), without the rear entertainment package, in white exterior / black interior. A day before I left on a road trip vacation it popped up at a dealer along the way, so I was able to buy it at the beginning of my trip. I was seriously debating a LX 570, but I picked up a 2017 GX 460 with a 6 year unlimited mileage warranty and 2 years of free maintenance (Lexus CPO) for the same price as 2013 LX 570s with 100k+ miles on them. As this is my first SUV, first 4x4, and was intended to be more of a second vehicle / dog hauler, I figured I'd go with the cheaper option and I can always upgrade to a LX 570 / LC if I decide I like it. The GX isn't going to win any awards for style, especially in the rear, but it's been growing on me the more I look at them.

Freshly detailed GX:

After a few days of driving it around in San Diego I took it out to Anza Borrego. My first trip was out to Fish Creek Wash, which is ideal for baby's first off-roading trip. Saw a couple Subarus, a lot of modified Jeeps, and few Toyotas/Lexus. The Subarus were fine as long as they chose the right line, there were a couple of places where I decided to change the "path" I was following and ended up on rougher portions than intended, but the GX handled everything fine.

After 4.5 miles you reach the wind caves:

A view of the general driving conditions:

My plan was to go 12 miles down Fish Creek Wash to reach Sandstone Canyon, a much narrower canyon (down to 10' at times) with more interesting obstacles (include one I probably can't pass), but I was low on time and would have been too rushed. Shortly before exiting the wash, my newly detailed car now had a little dirt:

Along the way out of Anza Borrego I took a quick detour to what's probably the most photographed spot, Font's Point. Officially you need a 4x4 to get there, but people have done most/all of the drive in 2wd cars before.

After getting used to how the GX drives, I like it a lot more for day to day driving than I expected (although the rear visibility is horrible due to the dark tint). With the 3rd row folded down so my dogs can take up the rear of the car (Great Dane and a small pit bull mix), the car is surprisingly low on space. I have captains chairs in the middle so I can seat 4 adults and two dogs, with no room for storage. I'll be getting a roof rack as soon as I figure out which one I want, but going off-road was fun so I wouldn't mind giving it a bit more capability. I have tons of reading to do, but I may eventually do a 2" lift and new wheels and tires. I figure for now I can use the car stock and see how many places it can go, then when I have more experience I'll know what I need to change (if anything). The dealer put on new tires which were Cooper Adventurers, I figured they'd be the cheapest, shittiest tire around but they actually performed fine.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Anza and the surrounding desert is one of my favorite places. Looks like a great outing.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Kastivich posted:

Anza and the surrounding desert is one of my favorite places. Looks like a great outing.

As a Seattleite, my short time in Anza was a life changer. So peaceful and quiet. Less diverse plant-life than what I'm used to but still very moon-world. Cooler than Joshua Tree if I had to choose.

Anyways, a 2" lift is enough to stick some larger tires on.

Found some decent TRD pro take off's from a yuppie for a song (need a 5th). 285's fit, but I had to trim a bit of plastic and will run back this weekend and melt it back futher. Gonna stretch it out this weekend.

Another thing. I do not recommend purchasing anything from Relations Race Wheels. I had ordered a baller set of rims from them in July. Constant backordering, poor sourcing, then they forgot about my order and sold out of the wheel I wanted. It is now December. I guess make sure the thing you want is something they make (sliders/recovery gear) or is 100% in stock.

I do recommend ordering stuff from Apache Offroad. Problematic name, to the minute order updates, good prices. Just emailed the dude at 7PM and he shot me an email in 5 minutes. It's been like that for 4 orders now.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mcqueen posted:

As a Seattleite, my short time in Anza was a life changer. So peaceful and quiet. Less diverse plant-life than what I'm used to but still very moon-world. Cooler than Joshua Tree if I had to choose.
I'll agree if you're there purely to off-road - Anza has more open and interesting places to do that. I think JT is way more beautiful, but I may be biased because I grew up going out there.

Mcqueen posted:

Anyways, a 2" lift is enough to stick some larger tires on.

Found some decent TRD pro take off's from a yuppie for a song (need a 5th). 285's fit, but I had to trim a bit of plastic and will run back this weekend and melt it back futher. Gonna stretch it out this weekend.

Another thing. I do not recommend purchasing anything from Relations Race Wheels. I had ordered a baller set of rims from them in July. Constant backordering, poor sourcing, then they forgot about my order and sold out of the wheel I wanted. It is now December. I guess make sure the thing you want is something they make (sliders/recovery gear) or is 100% in stock.

I do recommend ordering stuff from Apache Offroad. Problematic name, to the minute order updates, good prices. Just emailed the dude at 7PM and he shot me an email in 5 minutes. It's been like that for 4 orders now.
That looks pretty much dead on what I want to do with one of these (+rear bumper). Beautiful!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

so just HOW much trimming was needed for the 285's to fit? Mates got a KDJ120 prado here in australia with the 3.0L D4D Diesel in it and hes put a lift on it and was thinking bout bigger tyres, but the consensus is that you cant fit anything bigger than the stock 265/65R17's on them.

Keep in mind that any mention of wheel spacers in Australia firmly directs you into "Unroadworthy and uninsured" territory...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ferremit posted:

so just HOW much trimming was needed for the 285's to fit? Mates got a KDJ120 prado here in australia with the 3.0L D4D Diesel in it and hes put a lift on it and was thinking bout bigger tyres, but the consensus is that you cant fit anything bigger than the stock 265/65R17's on them.

Keep in mind that any mention of wheel spacers in Australia firmly directs you into "Unroadworthy and uninsured" territory...

If it's like my old Cherokee, the bigger tires fit and will work on mostly flat road / low speeds, but once you start hitting high speed bumps or need suspension articulation, it'll rub/bind. Depending on the rear axle arc, that may be okay, but the fronts look way too pinched to be viable for anything other than mall crawls.

Aesthetically, though, they look great on the vehicle.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

This is very sick and a nice way to get it broken in! :swoon: Very nice score.

That is pretty legit! Do you always have that much rake? I don't know if it is the back suspension pumped up or parking on the angled driveway, but that looks like a capable rig.

It warms my cold dark heart to see these posts so I thought I would move on from the last adventure and :protarget:

Hold on to your :butt:s

In the middle of 2019 my parents did what any sensible retired couple would. Sell their house and move to where it is warmer because winter kind of sucks. They moved to the south end of St George Utah. In between their various trips around the world (because retired) we finally had a weekend line up that we could visit. The drive is about ~270 miles or so and pretty easy. When given the chance between the Flex and the Lexus my kids were immediately wanting the LX. I removed the tent because of the 80 MPH zones on the highway seemed like an unnecessary thing to put the truck through. One day we loaded up all 7 of us and headed to a spot to the south east of St George proper. I had a chance to finally try out my new ARB deflator and WOW that makes a massive difference! I picked it up before the trip as well as a little portable compressor. Not the fancy under hood unit but one that could reinflate my 33" tires without making a fuss. The drive off road meant some incredible vistas of sheer red rock cliffs and red sand. The road was graded, but had a few run off ditches for water diversion. The LX just blasted across the desert ground, AC cranking and keeping us cool as an ice chest in total comfort. We were looking for DINOSAUR (tracks). We found them.

A reconnoissance team was sent out to investigate

About this time the paleontologist that was with us noticed their water bottle shaking in the cup holder (convenient)

things were learned! :science: The kids all had an awesome time running around and looking at the dinosaur tracks. It was pretty frickin sweet.

Unfortunately Nedry didn't make it. Press F for respects

[click for H U G E panoramic with a smol truk]

I haven't pulled any videos still from my AF canyon run, and I haven't pulled any videos from this little venture yet mostly because :effort: but I am going to do it! I still miss this stupid truck and I am now 1+ month since the crash and I have not yet found the replacement. I do have some updates there but will do a second post to not clutter this one up too much.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Ways in which I ruin myself:
By driving this 2013 Land Cruiser. In case the ad expires or whatever the details:
1 owner vehicle
No accident history
California car, 132K miles
~$33750

This car was clearly owned by childless boomers and the driver must have weighed 100 pounds because I don't understand how seats can look as good as they did after 132K miles. I have been reading up on 200's to see their downfalls and it seems the common things are the radiators cracking/blowing up and the water pumps dying every 100K miles. The other thing is the KDSS (dynamic suspension deally that works with the anti sway bars) valves can get seized up; a problem when it comes time to install a lift or if the vehicle suffers from leaning to one side. The system is under some crazy PSI load and requires a specially trained dealer tech to do the work and some machines that not everyone has. $$$ if you bork it up.

Short story. I want it. I want it. Holy balls the thing was nice. As I started it up and looked under the hood before driving it I could see the radiator was cracked in the common spot so it would need immediate replacement. The road manners were lovely. The V8 sounded awesome. Heated seats, cooled seats, heated steering wheel. Not a scratch, the underside has clearly only ever seen pavement. You would have thought it was a lease trade in 3 years and 30K miles old. This is the zenith of moving a gaggle of people. What sucks is that four years ago this is nearly what the Flex cost to buy.

It is probablydefinitely too nice for what I want to do with it. It does kind of reinforce my desire for a cheaper one though. They appear to be found in the low 20's with ~180K miles. At this point miles don't scare me. I just wish so badly one would pop up locally. It is astonishing how few LC's there are for sale locally. If I was willing to go LX this time around I could probably find one I would be happy with in a few weeks, but the AHC is apparently impossible to remove and retrofit a traditional suspension like the previous 100. How much do I need to be scared of rust like this. Iowa/MN car, but seems...not horrible?
Link to 2010 171K miles <$25K

Link to album

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Don’t buy anything with even a hit of rust exposure. Our 2013 LC, built at the end of 2011 (they skipped 2012 MY) and bought as a loving CPO truck in 2016, came to me with seized KDSS valves. It spent over a month at the local Toyota dealer which had to have specialized equipment sent to them on borrow to re-pressurize the system.

With that said last after they replaced the KDSS valve block I was able to have my local mechanic install an Icon coilover lift on it. However without the CPO program footing the bill I think it was over $2500 in parts & labor. Get the nicer truck!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Listen I’m the weirdo with 100 grand of weird Japanese imports but 10-15k is one range and 22-33 is another. I’d say get a nice down south Lexus for 14-15 maybe down in fort or something

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

everdave posted:

Listen I’m the weirdo with 100 grand of weird Japanese imports but 10-15k is one range and 22-33 is another. I’d say get a nice down south Lexus for 14-15 maybe down in fort or something

$10-$15k for a way better experience is a couple grand a year over the time he could expect to own it... Not my money and everyone has a budget but the 200 is Way Better at just about everything versus a 10-15 year older 100.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Ferremit posted:

The running board plastic (what you would leave after poo poo-canning the boards so the interior remains watertight) that goes into the wheel well, probably 3 inches of that. That and the plastic bit that sits behind that. Plenty of folks run this setup on ih8mud, and I've run it into some hills to verify that it would run around town ok. I'll borrow a forklift and test it out on that...should give a good idea of what pinch weld/plastic needs beating on. After install I totally get the body mount chop kits you see sometimes, if the tires were an inch bigger it would hit the body/frame mount.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That is pretty legit! Do you always have that much rake? I don't know if it is the back suspension pumped up or parking on the angled driveway, but that looks like a capable rig.

Driveway hosed, but also typical rake. Have some 1/4" spacers which should level it out a bit. Thanks

That rust doesn't even look that bad /\....well, famous last words.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm surprised the AHC on the LX 570s is impossible to remove, are they just too new and expensive for people to have made a solution yet?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm surprised the AHC on the LX 570s is impossible to remove, are they just too new and expensive for people to have made a solution yet?

New? The LX570 has been on the market for 13 years.

Expensive is relative; there are a lot of people beating the hell out of 200 LCs now but far fewer LX570s, in part due to AHC. There are also some AHC diehards on IH8Mud who swear by it but the potential target market is so small anyway I doubt it’s worth figuring out how to divorce the intrinsic computers from the system.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Gotta say after working on the utter ball ache that was the front shock replacement on my parents 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan today (Nothing should take 2hrs a side to replace a loving shock absorber) I cant find a single reason to complain about the 100 series front end.

Hell, I replaced a pair of (non remote res) shocks on mine in under 20 mins without even lifting the tyres off the ground!

It must be because you guys only got the V8 petrol engines in the 100 and 200 (And LX's) but over here there is a definite trend of people doing serious offroad touring moving out of their 200's back into the 100's, but a fair few of them are the diesels. The V8 turbo diesel is a stonking motor, but I wouldnt own one out of warranty- Things like water in the fuel getting past your filters is suddenly a $20K repair bill because the common rail pump that you destroyed is $6K, the injectors (all 8 of em) are $1500 each, plus lines, plus labour...

The people selling their V8 200's and jumping back into turbo diesel 100's are generally because when fuel is $1.70 a litre and your drinking 25+ litres per 100 towing your caravan around, dropping back into a diesel that uses 18/100 towing with $1.40 a litre fuel is a lot easier on the wallet.

I wouldnt trade my 100 for a 200 unless I had a serious knee or hip injury that forced me to drive an auto, I love the fact my 100 is a manual.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I would suggest avoiding an iowa/MN car if at all possible. Rust is the big killer on these and even if you cant see it, if they drove it in the snow the damage has been done. Ask me about how every one of my cars growing up (I'm from minneapolis) rusted from the inside of the panels out. If it was garaged, it's actually even worse, as the repeated melt/freeze really helps the corrosion along.

Have you ever noticed how most early 2000's subarus here in Utah don't have any wheel well rust on the back quarter panels, but then every once in a while you see one with gaping holes there?

Those are the iowa/MN cars. I have one. You should avoid an upper Midwest car if at all possible, especially a land cruiser.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 11, 2020

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Ferremit posted:

Gotta say after working on the utter ball ache that was the front shock replacement on my parents 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan today (Nothing should take 2hrs a side to replace a loving shock absorber) I cant find a single reason to complain about the 100 series front end.

I dont like the drive flange/bearing/axle setup. This is the only vehicle where I've needed a fish scale in my toolkit apparently? Setting the bearing preload seems to more magic than scientific. It's fine and durable, but there are a lot of moving parts when I'm used to only dealing with this poo poo on a trailer or an old dump truck. Yes I can field service it, but not quickly. Everything after that is a treat in comparison, unit bearings, single axle nuts, etc. I'm complaining to complain. The T bars I actually don't mind and the shocks are easy and right there. Grabbed aftermarket uppers that are really nice.

The rest is we only got gas v8s and autos only on both 100 and 200, so why not pay extra for an extra 100hp/tq for the same MPGs. If you can deal with 120 and 150 poo poo, the GX (prado) twins are a good deal.

RE rust talk, the 200 posted pics of isn't bad but it isn't good. Tremek hit it on the head. While you can probably break all the bolts loose and service it, get ahead on the frame rust coating/sealing, etc. The KDSS valves seizing up will gently caress you. I wouldn't bother if the dealer wont loosen the KDSS valves or if I can't break them free myself in the parking lot while the sales dickhead watches. It is gently caress you dollars to replace and re pressurize the things as he stated. The rest of the frame poo poo is they're thin and rot from the inside out, but its probably new enough to not be an issue. My friends 04 GX looks similar and I only have complaints near the rear crossmember and he needs to pull the rear bumper cover to wirewheel and clean up more. Poking with a screwdriver and sticking your fingers in the holes will tell you more than pictures.

Also there is a thread on mud but I cant find it but people are starting to rip the AHC poo poo out of 200s and shut the lights off. With more time they'll be the same as 100 AHC retrofits I'm sure, just more bullshit to unplug.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Tremek posted:

New? The LX570 has been on the market for 13 years.

Expensive is relative; there are a lot of people beating the hell out of 200 LCs now but far fewer LX570s, in part due to AHC. There are also some AHC diehards on IH8Mud who swear by it but the potential target market is so small anyway I doubt it’s worth figuring out how to divorce the intrinsic computers from the system.

I haven't done much reading on it, but seems like people with GXs easily remove the AHC and convert to coils, is the problem with the LXs that you get warning lights? One guy on the GX forum moved the AHC height sensor and was able to raise it 2" while keeping AHC.

I made my first change to my GX today, swapping out the driving support switch control for the Canadian version in order to get muti-terrain select support. Pretty easy task, just take off a bunch of trim, the passenger knee airbag, and the glove box and you can swap the module out.

Old on the left, new on the right:

The module is located directly above the glove box, you can see the loose connector hanging there (it just looks like the glove box is hanging from the light wiring, it's not):

Once the new module is plugged in, the main ECU automatically recognizes it and adds MTS support. Pressing the mode button on the steering wheel now adds this option:

And now you can select the appropriate terrain, which changes the amount of intervention it uses to limit wheelspin:

The 2020 models in the US will now have it as an option, but this was easy enough and the part was ~$200.

Here's a video from Toyota that shows it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szIm_J9VrrE

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ooooh, what’s “mogul”?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

MomJeans420 posted:

All the gx stuff is cool, but I need to buy one of those tool sets. That looks super handy!

I had my first "off-roading" adventure in my gx yesterday. They are calling for snow in Seattle this week, so I figured I should go into the mountains and figure out how the new tires handle snow. Sadly it was snowing hard enough that both mountain passes ended up getting closed, so we couldn't get to the spot we had planned, but we did manage to find a little forestry road to play on. Nothing too crazy, but the gx had no issue with foot deep snow. I was really impressed with how well the wildpeak tires did and now I am just trying to find more time to get back up there, but work and a toddler at home make that tough. Luckily my buddy has a Tacoma and has been doing this sort of thing for a while, so he has a decent recovery kit and is usually down to head up to the mountains.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Seriously considering a fly-and-drive for a 100-series in the San Francisco area this June. We’re gonna be there to see my new niece and there’s a dearth of good ones available in central Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

I haven't done much reading on it, but seems like people with GXs easily remove the AHC and convert to coils, is the problem with the LXs that you get warning lights? One guy on the GX forum moved the AHC height sensor and was able to raise it 2" while keeping AHC.

I made my first change to my GX today, swapping out the driving support switch control for the Canadian version in order to get muti-terrain select support. Pretty easy task, just take off a bunch of trim, the passenger knee airbag, and the glove box and you can swap the module out.

The module is located directly above the glove box, you can see the loose connector hanging there (it just looks like the glove box is hanging from the light wiring, it's not):

Once the new module is plugged in, the main ECU automatically recognizes it and adds MTS support. Pressing the mode button on the steering wheel now adds this option:

And now you can select the appropriate terrain, which changes the amount of intervention it uses to limit wheelspin:

The 2020 models in the US will now have it as an option, but this was easy enough and the part was ~$200.

Here's a video from Toyota that shows it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szIm_J9VrrE

I love it when community enthusiasts discover stuff like that, that's awesome.