Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Welcome to 2020 USAF Vets and Members. Fill out your EPR/OPR and make sure you scrabble up the words with your thesaurus. Make sure you schedule your leave before deploying to Ira.....q

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Make sure you complete your AF Form 4392 if you are under age 26 before deploying to Ira.....q

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Just leave the last letter off. It can be filled in later.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Make sure fill out your pre-travel travel voucher.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
So all of the officers above me just deployed, leaving me as the ranking officer until everyone gets back this summer. How did my first drill “in command” start off today? Sitting an airman down and informing them they are being discharged for pissing hot for weed.

This same airman also got in trouble earlier for posting a video of him dancing to baby shark while on SF augmentee duty at the main gate with his M9 unholstered.

This will be a fun year.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I hope you guys ran the paperwork through JAG to get their blessing before springing that on him.

When I hopped into a new shop they were starting to try to boot a worthless A1C who had a stack of paperwork already. JAG or ADC (can't remember who we talked to) went over it, said it wasn't going to fly but here's how to do it right for the next few times and we'll see you in six months. Their prediction was spot on, and the dude got promoted to civilian.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Your augies get M9’s! When I did it I got a loving musket M-16.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

djfooboo posted:

Your augies get M9’s! When I did it I got a loving musket M-16.

They just gave us a second chance vest, no gun whatsoever, and told us to yell loudly enough for a Security Forces guy to hear if we needed help.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Never aug'ed, but when I was in Afghanistan they issued M-16s, only got an M9 when running Crypto to places.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Never aug'ed, but when I was in Afghanistan they issued M-16s

AF muzzle discipline is a hell of a thing. I got flagged hourly.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Godholio posted:

I hope you guys ran the paperwork through JAG to get their blessing before springing that on him.

Oh yeah, my CC did all of the work over the last month or two, and I was just the one to sit him down and make it official.

I guess I tempted fate by sarcastically saying this will be a fun year, because only a few hours after that post, I got a call with even more bad news. A guy in my unit who was surprised by a stage 4 cancer diagnosis earlier in the year but had been in a stable condition took a sudden turn for the worse. He's in his 30's with a wife and kids, and was just placed in hospice care.

gently caress cancer, and remember to get your regular checkups at your doctor's office.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

djfooboo posted:

AF muzzle discipline is a hell of a thing. I got flagged hourly.

Yes it is, and I got spooked a couple times during quals, and somehow the range Security Forces guys didn't even notice until I pointed it out and they finally called the 2-3 guys out.

Had a guy, during the 'lean against the wood barrier' portion who stepped back, with his gun at the ready, and sweep the entire left hand side of the range with a half loaded clip still in and safety off.

pkells posted:

I guess I tempted fate by sarcastically saying this will be a fun year, because only a few hours after that post, I got a call with even more bad news. A guy in my unit who was surprised by a stage 4 cancer diagnosis earlier in the year but had been in a stable condition took a sudden turn for the worse. He's in his 30's with a wife and kids, and was just placed in hospice care.

gently caress cancer, and remember to get your regular checkups at your doctor's office.

Jeezus, that is loving awful.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

pkells posted:

Oh yeah, my CC did all of the work over the last month or two, and I was just the one to sit him down and make it official.

Cancer in your 30s is the worst. It's rare, aggressive, and there's no good screening until you're in your 40s or 50s. If you have a family history, sure, but otherwise you're supposed to stay healthy until middle age.

On my first deployment, I went with 4 enlisted medics/BEEs from my base. When we got home, I got hit by a car, my NCOIC got arrested, and the other NCO....

I had treated her for some minor stuff while we were deployed and had a set of totally normal labs drawn a couple of weeks before we came home. Two months later...BAM! highly aggressive leukemia. She had just turned 30 and was a newlywed. I made weekly house calls to help as much as I could, but she deteriorated really quickly. :(

The fourth guy managed okay. I think the worst thing that happened to him was that his garage band broke up.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
A guy I had met on a deployment in 2012 who was one of our replacements ended up getting murdered just last year. I don't know much about the specifics other than he had flown some 18 year old girl from California to stay with him and she stabbed him to death. So don't do that either I guess.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Reminder that there are still a few actual leaders making rank:

https://www.facebook.com/AirForceForum/posts/1462934393880196

Top comment is Col O'Malley, of gold bond fame.

Some folks at Shaw are in for unpleasant conversations tomorrow.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

reminds me of my experiences trying to contact an insurance adjuster at USAA

the personnel office at my place instituted a no walk-ins policy on certain days. i had something of an emergency since I needed to get my wife onto my insurance promptly to avoid getting insane medical bills and i got caught by that. the staff were all loving around on their phones yet refused to help me.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 13, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Got rear end-ended by a guy in a Yukon XL back in 2016 - he also had USAA. USAA treated him better (even though he was clearly at fault), gave *me* poo poo about my rental allowance, and no-poo poo stole my car from the body shop they sent me to, as they sent it to salvage (it was totaled - with a margin of ~$300) with the goddamned *tags* still on the car, before even informing me they had decided to total it. I made them overnight the tags to me, and they even made *that* sound like it was some huge imposition, and originally told me if I wanted them, I could go down to the salvage yard in Fredericksburg (50-60 miles one-way from where I am in Northern VA) and get them myself.

The poetic :fuckoff: justice of it all? I got ~$3900 for a '98 four-cylinder Honda Accord that ended up going for ~$500 at auction. Thing had brand new brakes and a rebuilt transmission with only about 10-15k miles on it. Someone - who had the means to part it out - made a small fortune off that car.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Godholio posted:

Finance, one of the things eternally hosed in the Air Force. At least this guy has the Gold Bond guy to help him out.

As for USAA, I've never had anything but good interactions with their insurance people.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
In the last couple days I think I've had more of an impact on my career field than the last 9 years. The lesson here is if you don't work on the equipment don't make rules that gently caress over every lab in the air force and leave it to us scrubs to unfuck it.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Was it WeWork where a door got stuck from the inside and an entire office just didn’t get in or do any work for an entire week? I think a lot about what would happen if every HQ and wing staff in the Air Force was locked out of their building for a week.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Prop Wash posted:

Was it WeWork where a door got stuck from the inside and an entire office just didn’t get in or do any work for an entire week? I think a lot about what would happen if every HQ and wing staff in the Air Force was locked out of their building for a week.

I'd be able to do my job without a million bullshit emails from the wing Top 3 (located at a base almost 900 miles away)?

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

hannibal posted:

Finance, one of the things eternally hosed in the Air Force. At least this guy has the Gold Bond guy to help him out.

As for USAA, I've never had anything but good interactions with their insurance people.

I had a pretty bad accident a few months ago and aside from some fuckery with the rental companies playing a shell game with me where no one wanted to rent me a car since it happened in a dead zone the whole claims process was pretty smooth. However, I could also see them being huge assholes about it, since they decided to ask my confused rear end (luckily just adrenaline wearing off, not a concussion) dumb questions like if my car could move on its own (no, it was basically half a car) followed a few minutes later by asking if I was driving after reading a bunch of information to the claims agent, prefacing it with, "Hold on, I need to read this."

In conclusion, much like military coverage in general, USAA is a land of contrasts. Also good on Gold Bond guy for making Colonel.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
It was some stupid setting on a multimeter that was causing our meter calibrators to fail on AC current. We had noticed the problem months ago with the automated procedure but they decided to go ahead and change the paper copy too. My buddy couldn't get through to whatever engineer made the change. A few phone calls to the other labs to point out the fuckery and suddenly everything is changing back

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Softface posted:

I had a pretty bad accident a few months ago and aside from some fuckery with the rental companies playing a shell game with me where no one wanted to rent me a car since it happened in a dead zone the whole claims process was pretty smooth. However, I could also see them being huge assholes about it, since they decided to ask my confused rear end (luckily just adrenaline wearing off, not a concussion) dumb questions like if my car could move on its own (no, it was basically half a car) followed a few minutes later by asking if I was driving after reading a bunch of information to the claims agent, prefacing it with, "Hold on, I need to read this."

In conclusion, much like military coverage in general, USAA is a land of contrasts. Also good on Gold Bond guy for making Colonel.

USAA is absolutely a land of contrasts.

Had a home owners, personal property, and Vehicle, insurance claim in 9 months. Each was a vastly different experience.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I read that USAA has completely different support teams depending on your region and what type of customer they see you as, in addition to the different product-based teams

That might explain some of the variation people see. I've had nothing but problems dealing with their auto insurance folks in the southwest.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 15, 2020

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My stepmom's nephew had a barn taken out by a windstorm, and USAA covered it and everything in it. Even letting them buy better coverage after the fact and applying it to the damage.

I total a car when I was 17 and they try to get really cheap on us and seriously undervalue the car for a variety of stupid reasons. Dad told them they could either work with us or he'd cancel all 3 cars and the house. They begged him not to, but still wouldn't budge.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Fallom posted:

I read that USAA has completely different support teams depending on your region and what type of customer they see you as, in addition to the different product-based teams

That might explain some of the variation people see. I've had nothing but problems dealing with their auto insurance folks in the southwest.

If they do it like other companies, this is absolutely the case. I have a relative that works for another insurance company as a manager and they split their stuff up by states - he had Wyoming and Alaska as his starting portfolio (smallest states by population). Lots of fun stories about dealing with individual states' insurance regulators.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I had to drop USAA because they were a few hundred more than geico for less coverage over a six month period.

I had been with them 12 years and their only response was “we don’t reprice policies and we don’t price match.” They couldn’t give me any reason to stay.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
For whatever reason when I commissioned 4 years ago, my email address was never added to the FW_All email alias at my guard base. I have yet to miss an important email because of it.

It’s also fun watching the other officer in my office spend 20 minutes deleting emails on Saturday morning of drill.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
I’ve had USAA for about 14 years; Had 1 accident (not my fault, rear ended), 1 car stolen, and a personal property claim after a hurricane and it’s all been positive, so it’s really hit or miss because I’ve had others tell me that they’ve had bad experiences with them for similar situations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I swapped from Progressive to USAA and cut the bill by 1/3 after I added my daughter at 18. Day after she got her license she had an accident. rates doubled. lmbo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I dropped USAA after 12 years for GEICO because GEICO was $300/6 months cheaper for combined auto/renters with more coverage. USAA said "we don't price match. Let us know if you wanna switch." so I switched.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How does setting a separation date work? The AFI isn't particularly helpful. From what I gather, there's a 6-month minimum window between your application and your earliest separation date, which the USAF can overrule if desired. What's the maximum date I can set it to? Does using the 7-day option affect what dates you can pick?

I'd like to time things so that I can finish my degree this year but I'll be on the VML in a couple weeks. I either pull the trigger then or use the 7-day option.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Fallom posted:

How does setting a separation date work? The AFI isn't particularly helpful. From what I gather, there's a 6-month minimum window between your application and your earliest separation date, which the USAF can overrule if desired. What's the maximum date I can set it to? Does using the 7-day option affect what dates you can pick?

I'd like to time things so that I can finish my degree this year but I'll be on the VML in a couple weeks. I either pull the trigger then or use the 7-day option.

6 months is the maximum time out you can set a separation. 7 day opt just means you have to set a separation day within 7 days, but it can be up to 6 months out.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
https://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/usfk-dependent-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-putting-military-on-high-alert-in-south-korea-1.620023

I wanted to retire out here, not die out here but I guess I can do both.

:tif:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Just be smart, protect yoself, mask in public, avoid unnecessary contact, present to hospital if you have flulike symptoms.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Meanwhile my commander is debating letting me take my leave to Japan because of coronavirus fears. I've been planning it for like 4 months.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Well they just killed travel to Korea, so at least I don't have to deal with dummies coming in for exercises!

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Trump doing the most for the Black Vote in November

https://twitter.com/usairforce/status/1234585486611578880

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

He seems to be a good choice, at least. Saw him speak a few months ago, and he's got a good reputation from people who worked with him prior.

But so did Welsh, soooooo