Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Hadlock posted:

Mildly interesting. This guy lives on his boat and programs his raspberry pi to display charts and weather data, and also drive his boat in a straight line even in ocean waves. Reads like a character from a Neil Stephenson novel:

https://towndock.net/shippingnews/sean-d-epagnier-and-alexandra?viewport=980,1686,0

That guy rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is the fan from the PoE hat generally sufficient for a Pi4? Has anyone found a way to have an RTC and a PoE hat module at the same time? :google: results seem old and generally even jankier than is usual w/r/t third-party commercial pi hats?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I’ve had good luck with a couple 140mm 5V case fans, each blowing across a stack of rpi4s. The pis each have small heatsinks on the SoC and USB controller.

This seems to have been plenty of cooling as I’ve overclocked all of them to the in-warranty limits and haven’t had any issues since.

AFAICT as long as you get some airflow moving across them then they’re good, so I imagine the fan on the PoE hat would be fine?

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I got a Pi4 under the tree.

I’ll be curious about cooling it. Is the consensus that the stock fan that comes with the kit isn’t enough?

eames
May 9, 2009

The whole printed circuit board of the rPi 4 is designed to act as a heatsink for the active components, so even a little airflow will go a long way.

If your kit includes a fan then it should provide sufficient cooling unless you run very stressful loads over long periods of time. The chip should automatically reduce core frequency to maintain a safe temperature when it gets too warm.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

RocketLunatic posted:

Here lies RocketLunatic, thought of creosote and died.

:(

mewse
May 2, 2006

RocketLunatic posted:

I’ll be curious about cooling it. Is the consensus that the stock fan that comes with the kit isn’t enough?

If your kit has heatsinks and that fan then that’s probably sufficient cooling. Like all pis it was designed to run passive but the 4 runs hotter than all others and benefits greatly from any sort of heat sink/fan combo

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I've been running a heatsink but fanless kit from Vilros on my pi4 primarily running Retroarch and it's been fine. I've even been doing some N64 and PSX emulation and if I am hitting thermal throttling I haven't noticed.

I'm sure if I were doing ML on the edge or other activities it'd put more stress but I would't fret about absolutely needing a fan.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If it hasn't already the newer bootloader that enables ASPM on the USB3 chip, install that. It'll already do a lot. Plus passive aluminium coolers do a decent job, altho for most of them, which seem to be clones of each other, you probably need a bunch of your own heat pads, because on both coolers I got for my two Pi4s, the shipped one were never all the right thickness.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Hey y'all. I had a pi3 and it got ,of all things, stolen.

I hear the 4 is sexier, is there a site that gives me rough idea as to abilities ?

I want to look at putting a nextcloud server on one if possible and then making some gifts out of other ones (steam stream / Plex -- non-- transcoding )

I guess I'm just asking for which resources y'all trust for info on the pi4, more so than how to

Tyvm, and no doubt I'll have some how to questions as well

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

They use Micro HDMI so you / your recipients will need new cables, and USB-C for power as well. They also need some sort of cooling solution or they'll throttle under load. A small fan will cut temps considerably, though just heatsink in a non-enclosed environment will help.

Beyond that I'm not sure there's any source I wouldn't trust. It's a straightforward, if considerable, spec bump.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Anything I/O or HTPC related will have huge gains on a Pi4 due to:
- two USB3 ports
- the ethernet port no longer shares a bus with the USB ports so you get both full gigabit and no contention with any USB drives that may be attached (which would slow down both Ethernet and any attached drives)

So maybe google network+sequential read benchmarks, with the caveat that it depends on what drive and USB adapter is used

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Thinking about using my old 3 that’s not doing anything as one of those network wide ad destroyer things. Do they mess up video/music streaming or games or hue lights? I don’t want to have to troubleshoot every little thing I use my internet for.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Stan Taylor posted:

Thinking about using my old 3 that’s not doing anything as one of those network wide ad destroyer things. Do they mess up video/music streaming or games or hue lights? I don’t want to have to troubleshoot every little thing I use my internet for.

If you load every list available, yeah, you'll have to whitelist a ton of stuff, especially for IoT devices. But if you just add a couple big ones it should mostly just work, in my experience.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Stan Taylor posted:

They don't mess up video or music streams, but also don't block the video ads on youtube for example. Domain-based ad blocking is really limited compared to what ublock can do, anything that serves ads from the same location as the actual content gets though.

Shouldn't affect hue lights or games. The "standard" lists are pretty conservative about only blocking domains that are pure ad servers.

I've found is mostly just nice as a supplement, or for chrome on my phone that can't run ublock.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it just acts as a DNS and blocks known ad domains.

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
How good are pi's as a dedicated retroarch machine? Is there any noticeable lag or emulator issues? And what systems do they currently have a hard time emulating?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BrokenGameboy posted:

How good are pi's as a dedicated retroarch machine? Is there any noticeable lag or emulator issues? And what systems do they currently have a hard time emulating?
I'm curious about this as well. I would assume N64 is too hard.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

BrokenGameboy posted:

A lot of people use them but anytime I’ve tried even like snes games are noticeably glitchy or laggy feeling. Might not be an issue for you but I wouldn’t really recommend it as more than a novelty, which is totally fine.

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Darn. If that's still true with the newer models I'll have to look at other micro computers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's probably "good enough" for casual people to pick up a controller and have a good time. It's a few times more expensive, but you might want to check out MiSTer. It uses an FPGA to create accurate hardware emulation for several retro consoles and computers. Not everything works, but then, that's the same for an emulator as well. But you're going to get the most accurate representation of a console and it has HDMI. They recently got Sega CD and GBA cores working. It might get N64 one day, but it seems like that's a massive undertaking to do as the N64 is so complicated.

mystes
May 31, 2006

BrokenGameboy posted:

Darn. If that's still true with the newer models I'll have to look at other micro computers.
They're definitely an upgrade from minicomputers.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
With my pi4 I don't see any lag with snes, though I'm not running any filters or anything. I can run psx games pretty well and N64 runs with noticable frame issues, but well within playable rates.

N64 is somewhat limited to which games run well too.

I'm running RetroArch via Lakka.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 28, 2019

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bolind posted:

Another option is the official PoE shield and and switch that can feed them but it gets a bit expensive fast.

Search for my posts in this thread to see that concept taken a bit too far.

Depends on what you define as expensive but older model Cisco PoE switches are ~$30 on eBay.

$10/ea for eBay shields

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 28, 2019

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Does anyone have experience with running TensorFlow on a Pi? I'm trying to set up a text generating API on my Pi 4. It works fine when I run it from my desktop PC but when I try to run it on the Pi I get an error that the 'tensor.contrib' module is not found. I know tensor.contrib was removed in TF 2.0 but I made sure to install 1.14 from pip, which is the same version I'm using on my desktop.

I've found instructions on how to compile TensorFlow yourself from the source on a Pi but I'm not sure if that would actually solve the problem, although I do see people saying that the official TF packages for the Pi are for some reason lovely.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

i vomit kittens posted:

Does anyone have experience with running TensorFlow on a Pi? I'm trying to set up a text generating API on my Pi 4. It works fine when I run it from my desktop PC but when I try to run it on the Pi I get an error that the 'tensor.contrib' module is not found. I know tensor.contrib was removed in TF 2.0 but I made sure to install 1.14 from pip, which is the same version I'm using on my desktop.

I've found instructions on how to compile TensorFlow yourself from the source on a Pi but I'm not sure if that would actually solve the problem, although I do see people saying that the official TF packages for the Pi are for some reason lovely.

How well versed are you in troubleshooting python package issues? Because it kind of sounds like you might have a problem with tensor.contrib installed in the wrong version of python--the vast majority of module not found errors are from issues like that. Remember there's python 2, python 3, and if you have anaconda then even more versions of python available. Installing a module into one will _not_ install it into any of the others, so if you slip up on accident and type 'pip install foo' instead of 'pip3 install foo' suddenly your python 3 install doesn't have the module you expected. If any modules are compiling code on install you have to be extra careful to make sure it didn't error out during the install and just dump you to a GCC error without a nice descriptive error message or even notification that the module failed to install.

I wouldn't try to compile tensorflow or anything big on the Pi 4 unless you have the 4GB memory version. Even that is going to take forever and probably error out in strange ways when it inevitably runs low or runs completely out of memory. By default there's no swap disk turned on so it's easy to completely exhaust memory with big compiles. It's pretty darn rare to have to compile stuff from scratch though as ARMv6 / ARMv7 architectures are getting prebuilt binaries for most popular things these days. You definitely don't need to compile from scratch to try fixing or troubleshooting python package install issues.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Why does everyone always want to compile on a pi? Just compile on your desktop/laptop to arm arch, it’s usually just a single flag.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
For go, rust or a simple C/C++ app with cmake sure but for anything else cross compilation is a complete nightmare. Good luck wrangling node-gyp, python's build system for native code, etc. to produce anything with a cross compiler. And god help you if you have to muck with some ridiculously over-engineered bespoke makefile build system (or *shudder* autotools) to figure out how to make it cross compile.

Wherever possible I try to avoid it, and if I do have to compile something I try to do it all in a docker container and use QEMU to run it with ARM emulation on a beefy x86 machine. The sad fact is 99% of things were just never intended to be built and linked with cross compilation in mind. You'll only discover this fact after spending days pulling your hair out staring at pages of failed build and link output.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I think it just acts as a DNS and blocks known ad domains.

That's right, assuming he's probably talking about PiHole, which I just set up like 3 times for myself and a few family members. It comes with about 6 general blocking lists, and this page seems like a decent resource for a few more: https://firebog.net

They loosely rank the lists by safety vs. blocking a bunch of poo poo that might need whitelisting, so if you stick to the 'checked' lists you probably won't need to manually whitelist anything.

And yeah there's a few discussing threads on the PiHole forums about trying to block stuff like Youtube ads, tl;dr it's probably not happening for a while. Just keep Ublock Origin on all your browsers for that if nothing else.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

And yeah there's a few discussing threads on the PiHole forums about trying to block stuff like Youtube ads, tl;dr it's probably not happening for a while.
Never with something like PiHole as youtube's adds and videos are hosted on the same servers.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
The last thing I read was that it was possible, but inconsistent since they keep spinning up new addresses to serve the ads so people are always playing catchup with their blocklists. The comments in this thread go into more detail.

I think right now the best DNS blocking we can hope for is to cut out most of the obvious spam/tracking stuff, as illustrated below:

https://i.imgur.com/6WCAAAn.mp4

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ElCondemn posted:

Why does everyone always want to compile on a pi? Just compile on your desktop/laptop to arm arch, it’s usually just a single flag.

If your app is containerized, you just install docker (or podman binary and symlink it), git clone your repo, and then if you wrote your dockerfile correctly, it just builds it for arm, apt or rpm grabs all the correct helper apps for the correct arch, and away you go easy peasy.

I haven't had to do it for a while but up until something like 1.12 go was way harder to cross compile than was strictly necessary.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Even languages that are ostensibly easy to cross-compile will often have crashes/panics if noone has actually run them on anything other than amd64. For example go binaries will often hit a panic on atomics that are not 64-bit aligned when built as 32 bit binaries.

I’m actually thinking of switching my rpi cluster from arm7l/32bit to arm8/64bit since it seems a lot of the portability issues I’ve seen have been with 32 bit builds rather than being arm-specific.

If you’re building rust then cross works very well. In contrast I didn’t have any luck with installing and running the tooling directly.

If you’re trying to build docker images for ARM I recommend just skipping the docker multiarch tooling trash fire and using something like Kaniko to do it. Kaniko in particular is pretty amazing because it builds the container directly in its own environment and then excludes itself from the resulting image before uploading it. As a result it doesn’t need any special privileges (nor dind) to build an image, making it easy to build images in containers directly.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Has anyone tried installing the 64 bit version of Ubuntu Server on a Pi 4 yet? I see back in July there was a bug where it was limited to 1 GB of RAM but I'm not sure if that's been fixed.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

i vomit kittens posted:

Has anyone tried installing the 64 bit version of Ubuntu Server on a Pi 4 yet? I see back in July there was a bug where it was limited to 1 GB of RAM but I'm not sure if that's been fixed.

code:
goatfucker@rpi004:~$ uname -a
Linux rpi004 5.3.0-1012-raspi2 #14-Ubuntu SMP Mon Nov 11 10:06:55 UTC 2019 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
goatfucker@rpi004:~$ free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:        3882400      289680      136784        3748     3455936     3534040
Swap:             0           0           0
Ubuntu 19.10 64 bit for Raspberry Pi.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
That's a pro username.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

So I did end up installing Ubuntu 19.10 on it Saturday night but I've been having a recurring problem with it since I did. About once a day, I'll be unable to SSH into and being unable to access the database/local network service running from it. When I try to SSH in using myname@ubuntu I get an error that the Pi's ECDSA key has changed and because I have strict checking enabled will not be able to connect. Removing the Pi from my known_hosts file stops this error, but then I begin getting a Permission Denied (publickey) error. If I instead try to use myname@the.pi's.ip.address I get an error that the resource is temporarily unavailable. Hard rebooting the Pi fixes this (I have not tried plugging it in to a monitor in this state to see whether it is actually on before I switch the power off and back on).

I don't believe the power is flickering and causing it to shut down, as all the digital clocks in my apartment would also be reset. Can anyone think of an explanation for this other than the Pi powering off?

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

i vomit kittens posted:

So I did end up installing Ubuntu 19.10 on it Saturday night but I've been having a recurring problem with it since I did. About once a day, I'll be unable to SSH into and being unable to access the database/local network service running from it. When I try to SSH in using myname@ubuntu I get an error that the Pi's ECDSA key has changed and because I have strict checking enabled will not be able to connect. Removing the Pi from my known_hosts file stops this error, but then I begin getting a Permission Denied (publickey) error. If I instead try to use myname@the.pi's.ip.address I get an error that the resource is temporarily unavailable. Hard rebooting the Pi fixes this (I have not tried plugging it in to a monitor in this state to see whether it is actually on before I switch the power off and back on).

I don't believe the power is flickering and causing it to shut down, as all the digital clocks in my apartment would also be reset. Can anyone think of an explanation for this other than the Pi powering off?

Could you have two devices fighting for the same IP address?

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

accipter posted:

Could you have two devices fighting for the same IP address?

I did see that as a possibility when I was searching for an answer but at least at the time that I checked after rebooting none of the devices on my network had the IP that the Pi normally does. I did go ahead and reserve it for the Pi though just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm combination bitching and hoping that maybe someone might point me in the right direction on where I'm going wrong with things.

I have a Pi 4, that I intend to have fulfill 3 functions: 1) wireless router for the household, as the one that AT&T gave us is a piece of poo poo that only supports b/g protocols, 2) Pihole for adblocking across all household devices, and 3) VPN for when I'm not home and want my poo poo secure and pihole blocking on my phone.

I've managed to achieve #1 so far with hostapd and dnsmasq, and thought I'd gotten it so I could remote in to work on the rest later because running it non-headless is a pain in the rear end due to required proximity to the AT&T box that we have to keep running because it also controls our TV and home phone. Only, I go to access it via VNC and...it doesn't connect. So I lug back over a monitor and keyboard so I can see what's going on. The bridge is working just fine, but now any local internet-connection-needed stuff just doesn't work on the Pi. Chromium doesn't load pages, VNC server can't connect to the cloud licensing server, etc.