Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

CharlestheHammer posted:

airlifts seem insanely vulnerable to militias

Iraq is swimming with AA guns mounted on truck beds, and it's not hard to figure out the approach vector of a cargo plane onto any runway.

The USAF would have to be running around the clock bombing missions just to constantly clear the field, and the sheer cost of operating like this heavily outweighs the militiamen and their trucks who will get blown up in sheer dollar terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1213655006727081984

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

the tankies were right all along

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the real problem here is that ANSWER lead the largest protests in modern history but was entirely incapable of converting that into even slightly increased membership for marxist leninist orgs

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Mister Bates posted:

the tankies were right all along

Well, yeah (see Fidesz/Jobbik, etc).

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
you don’t need a college degree, but 82% have one.

only 20% of officers come from the main service academies. they used to dominate the senior officer ranks, but now only account for 1/3. most officers come from rotc and OCS.

other fun fact, 93% of enlisted have a HS degree, compared to 59% of the rest of the population.

if you really want to be an officer there are also junior service academies that will give you an AA and a commission after 2 years.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

helicopters, also we could land supplies at Baghdad international and dare the guards to stop the trucks

they'd probably start shooting when the trucks drive by the place Soleimani got blown up tbh

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
Starting to think a war with iran might be a bad idea idk just getting that feeling y'know?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

helicopters, also we could land supplies at Baghdad international and dare the guards to stop the trucks

pretty sure Iraq has a history of people willing to stop truck convoys

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

big brain trump shoots a guy to force the iraqi parliament to vote to expel the US, therefore being the president to finally have a full withdrawal from the middle east :chaostrump:

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
it’s a 130 acre compound built to support 20k ppl:

wiki posted:

The embassy has extensive housing and infrastructure facilities in addition to the usual diplomatic buildings. The buildings include:[11]

Six apartment buildings for employees
Water and waste treatment facilities
A power station
Two "major diplomatic office buildings"
Recreation, including a gym, cinema, several tennis courts and an Olympic-size swimming pool
The complex is heavily fortified, even by the standards of the Green Zone. The details are largely secret, but it is likely to include a significant US Marine Security Guard detachment. Fortifications include deep security perimeters, buildings reinforced beyond the usual standard, and five highly guarded entrances.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Drag his rear end, Don!!!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

if things get to the point where Iran is lobbing missiles at Saudi, Trump might as well tell the marines to storm the Iraqi parliament and declare martial law cause the whole imperial position will be a sliding and a shaking as saudi rapidly runs out of water

striking refineries and oil infrastructure is the humanitarian approach for the Iranians. If they really want to make some noise they'll strike the desalination plants saudi arabia relies on to break even re: fresh water

I start a lot of posts off with this word lately, but

Ironically that's not even really possible. The US doesn't have anywhere near enough forces in the country to conduct an occupation. Like maybe 2% of what it would, at best, require. Hell the US doesn't even have enough troops in Iraq to secure their bases if the Iraqis were actually feeling hostile towards the American presence.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Even if the US isn't formally voted out tomorrow, I don't think it would change the posture of the many powerful Shia militias who are now gunning for the US again after being mostly brought in to a coalition over the past several years.

I suspect Trump will try to pin any Shia militia action on Iran, but what are you going to do- try to attack Iran while your bases are getting rockets lobbed at them all across Iraq too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-JA1ffd5Ms

THS
Sep 15, 2017

forcing the iraqi parliament to vote for us forces to leave is part of trumps master plan to withdraw troops from iraq thank u trump president sir

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Also on moving everyone to KSA, aren't the clerics still anti-American and very resistant to any increases in US presence there?

at a minimum seems like a great chance to get attacked by Houthi rebels and whatever's left of AQ in Yemen

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

This is pure terrorism, isis could have said this lol

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
once again, America fooled by bad intelligence

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Also on moving everyone to KSA, aren't the clerics still anti-American and very resistant to any increases in US presence there?

they get paid very well to keep their anti-foreigner activities outside of the kingdom

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

gradenko_2000 posted:

pretty sure Iraq has a history of people willing to stop truck convoys

The IED game has also come a very long ways since the last time the US was involved. poo poo from 2005 were firecrackers compared to modern IEDs

sum
Nov 15, 2010

The US would obviously leave the Green Zone if Iraq was serious about expelling troops you dolts. It's impossible to supply or defend.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Crashing your F-35s in the desert to own the Ayatollah

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1213689342272659456?s=20

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

coathat posted:

Iraq is going to declare Kamala Harris the interim us president and the Khive are going to occupy the embassy

"Durr I thought the left was against the occupation of Iraq hurrr"

THS
Sep 15, 2017

sum posted:

The US would obviously leave the Green Zone if Iraq was serious about expelling troops you dolts. It's impossible to supply or defend.

they said that about west berlin!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

sum posted:

I think if there's one thing the US and its military has proven over the past 20 years, it is its pragmatic decision making ability.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

sum posted:

you know some dipshit is going to put “Baghdad airlift: like Berlin but bigger” on the next PowerPoint briefing

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

I'll have to wait and see what Congress decides before I form an opinion on War

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i am in the third unit of the fourth regiment of the twelfth division of swamp maoists. iran has armed us with qassam piss rockets and given us training running through tires. we will take orlando once we figure out how to bolt the arbalest to steve's truck. the house of mouse falls tonight

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Operation Eagle Claw 2 is going to end with dozens of F-35s crashed in the Iranian desert

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

When Trump actually believes the Lockmart propaganda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXW02XmBGQw

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

Operation Eagle Claw 2 is going to end with dozens of F-35s crashed in the Iranian desert

Massive air operation to liberate 20 barrels of oil they heard was stored in a shed outside of Tehran.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

qaddafi and assad responded to protests by killing the protesters, america 1ups them by killing a rival nations top general

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Kurtofan posted:

This is pure terrorism, isis could have said this lol

How do you think they learned their tricks? ;)

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SorePotato posted:

I'll have to wait and see what Congress decides before I form an opinion on War

this is prudent, and I'm a bit disappointed to not see more of my posting compatriots adopting this type of levelheaded position

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

thatfatkid posted:

How do you think they learned their tricks? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Elr5K2Vuo

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/StateDept/status/1213596468877103104?s=20
https://twitter.com/HalaJaber/status/1213695360180187136

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

i am in the third unit of the fourth regiment of the twelfth division of swamp maoists. iran has armed us with qassam piss rockets and given us training running through tires. we will take orlando once we figure out how to bolt the arbalest to steve's truck. the house of mouse falls tonight

goonspeed, brave warrior

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Turmps 9:11, nice

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

CharlestheHammer posted:

we briefed him wrong, as a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
im in the utah regiment of hezbollah. the fighting is hard, the water is bad, but at least the sex cults make for good safe houses