Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Leavemywife posted:

What's needed to know for Luigi's Mansion 3? I've only played the GameCube one before.
The game's pretty linear, I don't remember too many critical things aside from a few distinct spots where it was pretty apparent I'd be happier checking a walkthrough than try to muddle through. Those were mostly bosses/puzzles toward the end of the game that I won't bring up here, though.
  • The game lets you slam around ghosts that are being vacuumed. These slams will also hurt any other ghosts you hit with it, so it's easy to clear a crowded room now.
  • The butt blast thing that knocks Luigi in the air has a few uses besides just making space that make it worth remembering. There's one enemy that grabs you that can be knocked off with it and another that it'll knock off their protection.
  • Critters can be vacuumed up, but also taken out by blasting them with the flashlight. The latter is a bit faster and there's an early puzzle with a mouse that's inexplicably immune to the vacuum where you'll need to use the flashlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

One tip for the Vampyr page on the wiki:
- Early on (before level 10-12) you might be tempted by side-quests to explore other districts. It's better to wait until a main quest takes you to those areas before stepping foot in them. By early exploration you can possibly trigger citizen in distress quests. And if you are not powerful enough to take out their assailants, that citizen will die the next time you rest to level up.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 5, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

yook posted:

The game's pretty linear, I don't remember too many critical things aside from a few distinct spots where it was pretty apparent I'd be happier checking a walkthrough than try to muddle through. Those were mostly bosses/puzzles toward the end of the game that I won't bring up here, though.
Also, any secrets I've seen so far are just neat little things full of more money, so if you don't think you need any, there's no reason to waste your time looking for any that you difficulties finding. Some of them are gems, but gems do basically nothing but give you a cosmetic upgrade if you collect all of them on every floor.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Are the tips on the wiki for Nier Automata fairly accurate?

I beat the original Nier with all endings so I'm familiar with the standard "Reach ending A unlock 2nd half of the game" and the whole "ask and confirm 3 times, game does something insanely permanent" the dev is known for.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just beat Control, and found this tip from the wiki to be inaccurate:

"You'll get enough ability points to completely fill up the whole skill tree."

I was reasonably diligent about sidequests (the mirror and the mold sidequests were the only ones I picked up and didn't finish), but quickly decided to ignore board countermeasures and timed Bureau Alerts, and still had a few trees unfinished by the end of the game; I'd say I only had 3/4 or so of it filled out. So that tip must assume you're doing all the optional content, or something (I'm not even sure if alerts & countermeasures actually give you skill points, but it's the only thing I can think of).

Not a huge deal, the points I didn't spend were on abilities that I didn't use much, but players should be aware that they might want to focus their points a little more carefully.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

yook posted:

• The game lets you slam around ghosts that are being vacuumed. These slams will also hurt any other ghosts you hit with it, so it's easy to clear a crowded room now.
  • The butt blast thing that knocks Luigi in the air has a few uses besides just making space that make it worth remembering. There's one enemy that grabs you that can be knocked off with it and another that it'll knock off their protection.
  • Critters can be vacuumed up, but also taken out by blasting them with the flashlight. The latter is a bit faster and there's an early puzzle with a mouse that's inexplicably immune to the vacuum where you'll need to use the flashlight.

I'm glad it's pretty straight forward. The game just oozes charm. What's the co-op like?

One thing I've noticed that is also worth mentioning is that there are cracks in the wall that you can peek into that show off different rooms; for example, there's one in the lobby that shows a treasure room with a gem inside of it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Leavemywife posted:

I'm glad it's pretty straight forward. The game just oozes charm. What's the co-op like?
Player 1 gets to summon a Luigi clone called Gooigi at will, which has 25 HP every time to Luigi's persistent maximum of 99. Gooigi is immune to piercing (so no damage from spikes or arrows), melts in contact with water and (since he is a Luigi-shaped blob of goo) can pass through certain openings at will.

Player 2 plays the Gooigi. Normally, Player 1 will need to switch between them and control them alternately, so instead, your co-op player would take that role and help you with certain puzzles or fights. The whole thing is fairly equally distributed and Gooigi gets a lot of use, so whichever one you're playing, you wouldn't be bored.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

pentyne posted:

Are the tips on the wiki for Nier Automata fairly accurate?
Seem to be. Can't think of anything else I'd add that wouldn't be needlessly overcomplicated.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

All the hidden areas give you skill points when you find them. That makes up the difference.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ainsley McTree posted:

I was reasonably diligent about sidequests (the mirror and the mold sidequests were the only ones I picked up and didn't finish), but quickly decided to ignore board countermeasures and timed Bureau Alerts, and still had a few trees unfinished by the end of the game; I'd say I only had 3/4 or so of it filled out. So that tip must assume you're doing all the optional content, or something (I'm not even sure if alerts & countermeasures actually give you skill points, but it's the only thing I can think of).

Not a huge deal, the points I didn't spend were on abilities that I didn't use much, but players should be aware that they might want to focus their points a little more carefully.

Relevant to me right now so thanks for this.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Ainsley McTree posted:

Those things don't give you skill points— but finding secret areas does.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You don't have to find a whole lot of secret areas to max out the skill tree, either. You can get a lot of extra ability points just doing Ahti's sidequests. A new one is added all the way up to Finnish Tango in the main storyline.

Billy_Delicious
Sep 3, 2018
Anything I need to know about Vampire the Masquerade not on the wiki?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Which one?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

One tip for the Vampyr page on the wiki:
- Early on (before level 10-12) you might be tempted by side-quests to explore other districts. It's better to wait until a main quest takes you to those areas before stepping foot in them. By early exploration you can possibly trigger citizen in distress quests. And if you are not powerful enough to take out their assailants, that citizen will die the next time you rest to level up.

Oh god yes this, my enjoyment of the game was destroyed by continually getting 1/2 hit killed and then having the person I was trying to rescue die when I finally caved and rested.

For Aegis Defenders:
I'm not ENTIRELY sure about this because I hadn't paid attention to it from the start but it seems like on each level there may be (I've noticed it on two levels now that I'm looking for it) 1 resource of each type (so far I only know about blue and yellow) that will respawn (though you have to use it to get it to respawn each time) BEFORE you activate the enemy waves which will allow you to build a bunch of defenses before you start getting attacked. It may be completely intentional or I could be wrong (except for the couple levels I abused it on) but there isn;t a page for Aegis Defenders yet and I figured I'd throw it out there in case someone could verify.

edit: So I played another level and it DIDN'T have any resources in the area right around what you have to defend so it seems like that's a sometimes thing. There is however a frog by the merchant at the caravan (hub area) you can kill for a few ingame currency then save your game and and quit to the title screen and load your game and then kill it again and repeat if you happen to be a little bit short of an item you want to buy.

juliuspringle fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 6, 2020

Billy_Delicious
Sep 3, 2018
VtM: Bloodlines. Sorry, forgot the bloody subtitle.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I see what you did there. No, the Wiki mentions pretty much everything worth knowing that isn't a spoiler. I guess it's also worth knowing that there are magic items that raise certain skills by one or more effective points, so don't put the full five dots into anything that you don't absolutely need until you're near the end of the game.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Is there anything I need to know about Everybody's Gone to the Rapture? I assume it's pretty simple but if there's anything to make sure I don't miss, please let me know...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Billy_Delicious posted:

VtM: Bloodlines. Sorry, forgot the bloody subtitle.

There are are major comprehensive mods that fix a ton of the issues and are practically required to avoid having to enable the console to get out of bugged games. You really do want to install the major patch mods out there. There are some still up to date as of recent years.

The "don't pick Malkavian or Nosferatu" should be in big bold letters. Its a major change from the other clans as far as typical gameplay. Nosferatu isn't even fun unless you really want to RP the idea of a monstrous beast lurking in the dark.

Don't install anything made by Tessmage though.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 6, 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Malkavian is the big one because a lot of the lines are things which will be more interesting on a second playthrough.

I actually enjoyed my first run as nosferatu so ymmv

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Having done a playthrough recently, I'm gonna reiterate definitely keep up on your combat skills because toward the late half of the game you'll be fighting constantly.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
About to start Spider-man (2018) Game of the Year Edition. It already has a wiki page, but is there anything to know about the DLC and when to start it?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

PRL412 posted:

About to start Spider-man (2018) Game of the Year Edition. It already has a wiki page, but is there anything to know about the DLC and when to start it?

DLC takes place after the main game story so don't worry about it until then. The DLC has some more suits but require doing missions and completing the DLC chapters to unlock.

Probably a good thing to add to the wiki.

Edit: To clarify how all the post-game stuff works:

DLC should be loaded in the same save file as your main playthrough. This way anything unlocked in the DLC also is available in the main game if you want to go back into the main game world. Note that I don't mean go back as in do another playthrough of the story. That would be in a new save file. But the main game and DLC "worlds" are different. The main game is better for free roam and random crimes and for re-doing bases, challenges, or completing anything you hadn't finished. Once you 100% the DLCs, only the DLC bases and challenges remain to re-do as there is no random crime in that instance of the city.

NG+ is created as a branch-off of whichever completed game save file you want. If you want to go for the two trophies for completing NG+ and completing the game on Ultimate difficulty you can do both at the same time with one NG+ file. Once you set the difficulty to Ultimate at the beginning you cannot change it or you lose the ability to earn the trophy. You could also just set your first playthrough to Ultimate but I don't recommend that. If you're not going for the trophy or you want to experience Ultimate or any other difficulty, you can change the difficulty at any time.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 6, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Glagha posted:

Having done a playthrough recently, I'm gonna reiterate definitely keep up on your combat skills because toward the late half of the game you'll be fighting constantly.

On that point, there are certain weapons way more powerful then you expect that should be saved for bosses. Flamethrowers are obscenely powerful but run out of ammo very fast.

Its been years, but when I played a Ventrue I went ax melee with a focus on stealth, lockpick and social skills and got through everything up past the sewers well enough, but after that guns became almost required.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I played a brujah and recall having the same experience. Definitely worth investing in guns even if they seem kind of lousy at first.

Billy_Delicious
Sep 3, 2018
Cheers fellas- have finished danganronpa v3 today so VtM:B will be booted up tomorrow, thanks very much!

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah, guns are good as long as you're good to mercurio. My character was ventrue with melee weapons and one of the late bosses (the one with tentacles) was a fuckin slog and I ended up brute forcing by just repeatedly using Suicide and chugging blood packs. I hear it's much easier with a flamethrower

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Glagha posted:

Yeah, guns are good as long as you're good to mercurio. My character was ventrue with melee weapons and one of the late bosses (the one with tentacles) was a fuckin slog and I ended up brute forcing by just repeatedly using Suicide and chugging blood packs. I hear it's much easier with a flamethrower

Is that the Asian vampire one? I remember one boss that just melted in 10 seconds from the flamethrower and all that build up about how powerful they were compared to Kindred.

I had to brute force blood pack the one holy warrior because he uses a powerful rifle and keeps teleporting around when you start melee.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Lobok posted:

Probably a good thing to add to the wiki.

Just in case anyone wonders when they're throwing requests like these into the well of the internet, I want you all to know that I see them and do update the wiki.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I bought Civilization VI, really enjoying it but having trouble figuring it out. I was born in 1985 I have somehow never played a Civ game before lol. I got real frustrated because I only had two cities, and I had that chucklefuck from Rome next door dogging me about not having enough cities. Are there any tips you guys have for starting out a new Civ, or for beginners? Not looking to outright cheeze the game or anything, but just some general tips for a new player.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
One more that should really go at the very top of the entry for AI: The Somnium Files:

- The game likes to crash during Somniums on Steam. It's recommended that you run the launcher as administrator, and turn off VSync and run it fullscreen. That, plus updated drivers, seems to solve the issue for most people.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

pentyne posted:

Is that the Asian vampire one? I remember one boss that just melted in 10 seconds from the flamethrower and all that build up about how powerful they were compared to Kindred.

I had to brute force blood pack the one holy warrior because he uses a powerful rifle and keeps teleporting around when you start melee.

Yeah. The issue is that one, in melee, spawns adds when you hit it and takes very little damage even with high skill and a strong weapon. It just takes a very long time

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ahobday posted:

Just in case anyone wonders when they're throwing requests like these into the well of the internet, I want you all to know that I see them and do update the wiki.

Thank you! I checked the OP to see what the instructions were for providing updates and didn't see any so I just assumed you'd come along eventually.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Julius CSAR posted:

I bought Civilization VI, really enjoying it but having trouble figuring it out. I was born in 1985 I have somehow never played a Civ game before lol. I got real frustrated because I only had two cities, and I had that chucklefuck from Rome next door dogging me about not having enough cities. Are there any tips you guys have for starting out a new Civ, or for beginners? Not looking to outright cheeze the game or anything, but just some general tips for a new player.

I would say probably the single biggest piece of advice I can give is tell your neighbors what you want. If you don't want them settling near you, tell them. If you don't make that desire known to the world, when they inevitably settle near you and provoke a war from you, the world will see you as a warmonger that attacked them for no reason. If you warned them and they ignored you, they see your war as direct and fair consequences.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 7, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

The "don't pick Malkavian or Nosferatu" should be in big bold letters. Its a major change from the other clans as far as typical gameplay. Nosferatu isn't even fun unless you really want to RP the idea of a monstrous beast lurking in the dark.
Nosferatu are great, though, and their disadvantage can be easily overcome by using one of their disciplines which you'd be using anyway since they have probably the most fun discipline combinations in the game.
Agree on the Malks, though.

Julius CSAR posted:

Really good advice in the post above, but it should be noted that the AI players will be insulting you all the time no matter what you do. The AI in the series is always screwy - and it goes double with VI - and constant verbal harassment from other empires is pretty much part of the game.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 7, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Nosferatu are less of a hindrance than you'd expect, or at least so I found during the one time I played one. If you just walk up to people and start talking to them before they can freak out, most of the time they'll just act as if you didn't look like something right out of a horror movie.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Really good advice in the post above, but it should be noted that the AI players will be insulting you all the time no matter what you do. The AI in the series is always screwy - and it goes double with VI - and constant verbal harassment from other empires is pretty much part of the game.

Think about it as them doing what you do when you play. Rome settles an area you wanted, so you call them a cocksucker etc.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Fair enough. The first game I played I used Tomyris and wound up randomly getting Cyrus the Great next door, and he shows up and is all "I love stabbing people in the back and starting wars! We're cool, right?!" And I'm like, "Yeah dude we're cool.... for now."

Any ideas on what techs/civics/units I should be focusing on

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I am also on team “don’t pick nosferatu for your first run”. I’ll admit I’ve never done a full nos run at all so perhaps it’s easier than I think, but regardless, someone who doesn’t know how to play the game at all won’t benefit greatly from the extra challenges that nosferatu adds, I don’t think.

But you figure out pretty quickly what the issue is so i guess there’s not so much harm in trying it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
If you don't play a Malkavian the first time through that game you hate fun :colbert:

j/k... Don't do that!