Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, it can't be understated just how much films from the 70s and 80s have aged out so bad. Like in Grease, when one of the T-Birds is like "did she put a fight?" during the Summer Nights song. Like, it had better not mean what I think it means (which is totally what it means).

Saturday Night Fever is even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's actual rape in Revenge of the Nerds and it's played 100% for laughs.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Rhyno posted:

John Stamos apparently did that in real life and told it as an amusing anecdote in an interview

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Rhyno posted:

Was that during the frat party scene? I haven't seen that movie in, like, 20 years. I remember there was also a bit where the nerds set up cameras in a sorority and were watching them get undressed and poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vagabundo posted:

Was that during the frat party scene? I haven't seen that movie in, like, 20 years. I remember there was also a bit where the nerds set up cameras in a sorority and were watching them get undressed and poo poo.

Little nerd puts on the jock's costume and rapes the jock's girlfriend but it's okay because she falls in love with him later.

Ugh, that entire franchise should just be burned in a dumpster.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Scientology is probably deeply entwined with the culture of sexual assault in Hollywood. I listened to a 3 part series on L. Ron Hubbard and not only was he crazy but almost certainly a massive sleazebag pervert and that behavior is more normalized the higher up you get, and waaaaaaaay too many big Hollywood names are lifers in Scientology

He was a sci-fi writer of course he was a pervert.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rhyno posted:

Little nerd puts on the jock's costume and rapes the jock's girlfriend but it's okay because she falls in love with him later.

Ugh, that entire franchise should just be burned in a dumpster.

Also they earlier spied on her in the change room and secretly took a photo of her topless and then distributed it to the entire campus (they print it on the plates when they're selling 'pies' to raise money) which is written off as a prank against her boyfriend

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

The other Crash is better anyways.

For the longest time, I thought that people were upset that a weird sex fetish movie had won best picture.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SimonChris posted:

For the longest time, I thought that people were upset that a weird sex fetish movie had won best picture.

It should have as it was amazing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rhyno posted:

The other Crash is better anyways.

Infinitely so.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The sex = death thing in horror films definitely has some rooted link to American puritanicalism in the culture, reinforcing that sinning sexually deserves to be punished. It's also more grimy than that though. Directors were, broadly, looking for ways to get tits and arse on screen as a draw, and throwaway sex scenes as set up to murders were a simple way of doing that. You don't need to do much writing to establish a sex scene like that. It puts two characters in an isolated location by default, and being naked makes them vulnerable. It's a shortcut.

In much the same way many 80s B movie action films have the protagonist motivated by revenge for a rape, or rape as the crime that establishes the bad guys. It's not because the directors had a big boner for showing rape (except maybe Michael Winner) it's because they were idiot hacks who had a thought process of "rape involves sex, sex involves tits, therefore rape = tits on screen & character motivation in one scene. Efficient storytelling!"

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Rhyno posted:

A very similar scene plays out in the 2009 Richard Curtis film The Boat That Rocked. Acknowledged as being based on a real event, a DJ sends a friend to have sex with an unknowing groupie who wants to gently caress the DJ. Curtis wrote it for laughs.

About five years later the people the film had been about started getting arrested for historical rapes and sexual assaults, because while Curtis still has the mindset that it's funny, not many other people do.

(gently caress Richard Curtis.)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
oh bother
https://deadline.com/2020/01/terry-gilliam-complains-about-metoo-and-says-white-males-are-blamed-for-everything-1202820799/

quote:

Terry Gilliam Complains About #MeToo And Says “White Males Are Blamed For Everything”

quote:

Director Terry Gilliam has made a series of incendiary comments about race, the #MeToo movement, and the Harvey Weinstein case.

Gilliam sat down for an interview published Saturday by the U.K.’s Independent. The conversation was supposed to be about his latest film, The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. But the director said he was “so booored” talking about the Adam Driver-led movie, and instead let loose on several hot button issues.

The Oscar-nominated filmmaker, who is no stranger to controversy, expressed his disdain for the #MeToo movement, and lamented that too many men have been “hammered” by sex abuse complaints.

“#MeToo is a witch hunt,” he said. “I really feel there were a lot of people, decent people, or mildly irritating people, who were getting hammered. That’s wrong. I don’t like mob mentality.”

The former member of the Monty Python comedy team also offered his opinions on Weinstein, who goes on trial next week in Manhattan on sex-crime charges.

“When you have power, you don’t take responsibility for abusing others. You enjoy the power. That’s the way it works in reality,” Gilliam insisted.

As for the women who accused Weinstein of rape, assault and/or harassment, Gilliam said they made certain choices.

“These were ambitious adults … There are many victims in Harvey’s life, and I feel sympathy for them, but then, Hollywood is full of very ambitious people who are adults and they make choices,” he said.

The U.S.-born British writer and director went on to say white men around the globe are under attack.

“I understand that men have had more power longer, but I’m tired, as a white male, of being blamed for everything that is wrong with the world,” Gilliam said as he held up his hands. “I didn’t do it!”

After complaining about the treatment of white men, Gilliam told the interviewer he actually identifies as “a melanin-light male.”

“I don’t like the term black or white. I’m now referring to myself as a melanin-light male,” he stated. “I can’t stand the simplistic, tribalistic behaviour that we’re going through at the moment.”

Earlier this week, Gilliam spoke with Deadline about his upcoming AppleTV series Time Bandits with Taika Waititi, as well as his film career. When the conversation turned to politics, Gilliam compared Donald Trump’s presidency to an illness.

“The disease that America is suffering has now come to England with the election of Boris Johnson,” he said. “We’re all in the same madness and Cassandra’s box has been opened…these egotistical liars are springing up like mushrooms everywhere.”

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Again? Is this a new set of dumb statements?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Terry Gilliam doesn’t whole unless something is sabotaging his movie so this time he has to sabotage it himself

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
"Old guy yells at cloud".

Then again, I will probably be just as stuck in the past 50 years from now.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
Ebert loved Crash at the time and said in regards to it beating Brokeback Mountain that the "better film" won.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

SimonChris posted:

The fact that they gave "Best Picture" to a movie that was released eight years earlier never stuck you as odd? They almost never do that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Prince Myshkin posted:

Ebert loved Crash at the time and said in regards to it beating Brokeback Mountain that the "better film" won.

Ebert, and I can’t stress this enough, was a hack and his school of critique has been poison to cinema

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Bust Rodd posted:

Ebert, and I can’t stress this enough, was a hack and his school of critique has been poison to cinema

I didn't post that because I agree with him. I agree with you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"When you have power you don't take responsibility for abusing others, you enjoy the power" is perhaps one of the most disgusting things I can imagine saying in response to that. loving hell.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Bust Rodd posted:

What school was that?

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
This is what Terry Gilliam has to say about personal responsibility:

quote:

We’re living in a time where there’s always somebody responsible for your failures, and I don’t like this. I want people to take responsibility and not just constantly point a finger at somebody else, saying, ‘You’ve ruined my life.’

quote:

No. When you have power, you don’t take responsibility for abusing others. You enjoy the power. That’s the way it works in reality.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
the quote about weinstein is so egregiously terrible that I clicked through to the source article that deadline is reporting on. “surely they must be taking this at least slightly out of context, why would he say something so obviously repugnant?”

well, no, it’s exactly as awful in the source; Jesus Christ

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
That's just making me think back to Brazil, like maybe the ending's implication was that "fascism is good, because the alternative is living in a fantasy dreamworld".

I mean, did he really say that, and mean it that way? The gently caress.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

porfiria posted:

What school was that?

The school of thinking pointing out plot holes is critique.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

King Vidiot posted:

That's just making me think back to Brazil, like maybe the ending's implication was that "fascism is good, because the alternative is living in a fantasy dreamworld".

I mean, did he really say that, and mean it that way? The gently caress.

idk how the hell you got that out of Brazil's ending, maybe watch it again

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Bonaventure posted:

the quote about weinstein is so egregiously terrible that I clicked through to the source article that deadline is reporting on. “surely they must be taking this at least slightly out of context, why would he say something so obviously repugnant?”

well, no, it’s exactly as awful in the source; Jesus Christ

I dunno, I kinda want to give him the benefit of the doubt, like he was talking about the twisted mentality of the abuser or something.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

he basically says "the women are adults and knew what they were getting into"

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Sucrose posted:

I dunno, I kinda want to give him the benefit of the doubt, like he was talking about the twisted mentality of the abuser or something.
In the deadline article you can read it that way, but the original context makes that much harder to support.

quote:

Isn’t it a bigger problem that men are refusing to take responsibility for abusing women, and abusing their power? “No. When you have power, you don’t take responsibility for abusing others. You enjoy the power. That’s the way it works in reality.”
If that's accurate then the context of the response is explaining that abusing power is not a problem. It's just such a ridiculous position that it's hard to believe someone would actually take it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Asgerd posted:

This is what Terry Gilliam has to say about personal responsibility:

I mean, he put a nine year old in danger numerous times during the filming of Baron Munchausen.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/adventures-baron-munchausen-trauma-behind-classic-1193214

Hollywood Reporter posted:

The “history” in question that Polley mentions has to do with her much more distressing memories of the production being at odds with Gilliam’s recollection of things.

In October of 2005, when Gilliam was preparing to shoot Tideland in Saskatchewan, Polley wrote a piece for The Toronto Star describing her experience working on Munchausen as “traumatic to say the least,” and shared an open-letter correspondence she had with the director along with “some unsolicited advice” on how to mind his next child actor from harm, both physical and emotional.

Sarah Polley posted:

“The average day working with him on set was a complicated combination of things,” Polley, now 40, tells THR. “He treated me with so much respect and was so encouraging. But the days were grueling. I worked a lot of overtime, and it felt stressful, chaotic, and, often, unsafe. I remember freezing in water tanks for hours at a time, running through explosives, having to go to the hospital, not being able to hear, etcetera. Ultimately, the experience of working on this film was one of the most traumatic things that happened to me as a child, and it had competition.“ ... “I haven’t encountered anyone, over the years, who shares Terry’s impression that things were ‘quite safe,’ including the special effects crew. I’ve talked with many cast and crew members over the years and they all felt that many of us were in danger many, many times. When I was in my 20s I met the special effects guy and he cried when we met, saying he still had nightmares about some of the situations Terry put me in. He asked if we could watch the movie together to exorcise some of the bad memories. We watched it, holding hands, and wincing through much of it. I went to the hospital on more than one occasion during that shoot. Explosives went off, close to my face, some by accident. I ran through corridors of them, I ducked under fiery logs. I still have nightmares about these moments. Many things were done by my adult stunt double, but too many things weren’t. The special effects guy said that the memory of me in hysterics and screaming in terror was something he couldn't rid himself of.”

She continues, “Terry and I have spoken about it, and he is open to talking about it, and even allowed me to publish [that] email exchange we had about it. He is more open to being criticized in public than most people. But he stops short of taking responsibility for most of it, or perhaps he really doesn't remember it the way the rest of us do.”

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Terry Gilliam's movies all drip with self-loathing just barely exceeded by misanthropy, and every time he opens his mouth in public it's not hard to see why.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Prince Myshkin posted:

The school of thinking pointing out plot holes is critique.

This is kind of a reductive view IMO.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ebert hates videogames

Gamers rise up! O7

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Maybe the reason gilliam has had so many directing woes isn’t because of corporate meddling but because he loving sucks as a human?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Even before the Video Games thing I found Ebert to be a bit of a old todger who equates “coincidence” with “plot hole” when that’s actually just how you tell stories sometimes, but then he came out and basically said “Old Mediums are the only way to tell stories, you cannot tell stories with new mediums and games will never be art” and I knew that he was absolutely creatively bankrupt and had nothing left to offer to the conversation.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

idk how the hell you got that out of Brazil's ending, maybe watch it again

Yeah great but I'm not talking about Brazil's ending I'm talking about Terry Gilliam being an awful person who literally said “When you have power, you don’t take responsibility for abusing others. You enjoy the power. That’s the way it works in reality".

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
How did I not guess it was because he hated on videogames lol.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah great but I'm not talking about Brazil's ending I'm talking about Terry Gilliam being an awful person who literally said “When you have power, you don’t take responsibility for abusing others. You enjoy the power. That’s the way it works in reality".

Terry Gilliam is wrong but he is obviously not justifying abuse of power. He's saying that anybody, no matter their skin color or gender, abuses power. He feels white men are unjustly picked on because anybody with Harvey Weinstein's power might have done the same thing regardless of their race or sex. He's quite clear on this point when a few lines later he calls one of the two female producers on Fisher King a 'neurotic bitch': 'It wasn’t about their sex. It was about the position of power and how people use it.' He's wrong because he doesn't admit that simply being a white man confers power, but you don't have to turn him into Henry Kissinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

porfiria posted:

How did I not guess it was because he hated on videogames lol.

If a sculptor came out and said “Painting is a bad medium devoid of creative expression” you’d rightfully think they were out of touch.