Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Outer Wilds is a mystery walking sim with puzzle solving and a lot of reading and exploring to figure out the story and how to navigate the world. There are no survival mechanics to speak of other than oxygen and health, but the punishment for dying is negligible. The less you know going in the better, but as a fellow walking sim fan you're gonna have a great time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

So what exactly IS Outer Wilds? Is there puzzles or is more just generally a walking sim? (I love walking sims). Is there a good story? Are there survival elements? (I hate survival stuff). Is it pretty linear? I prefer linear but I heard you can travel to any planet in any order. Is it long or short?

The trailer does a bad job of selling what the game actually is, but it seems to be getting rave reviews.

Outer Wilds is a game about exploring a solar system. There are puzzles, mostly on a large scale of gathering information you need to figure out how to reach places and accomplish things. There is an amazing story told through space archaeology as you investigate what happened to an ancient civilization that lived in your solar system. There's no survival stuff beyond managing oxygen and fuel. Both can be refilled on your ship and oxygen can be refilled in certain habitable areas on planets. In practice it means you need to plan somewhat carefully when making long trips from your ship. It's as non linear as a game can possibly be. You are given a ship and a bunch of planets and told to explore. There is a long term goal and an ending but you have to figure out what they are on your own as you explore. It's about 15 hours long though as it's nonlinear many things are optional and you could beat it in less time or more time depending on your play style.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Macaluso posted:

So what exactly IS Outer Wilds?

It's a game about exploring a solar system and figuring out how it works, what's going on, and what you can do there.

quote:

Is there puzzles or is more just generally a walking sim? (I love walking sims).

There is no combat, although there is danger and death.There are puzzles, but almost entirely based around what knowledge you possess and how you apply it, no weird logic challenges or complex mechanisms. It's not exactly a walking sim but it's certainly not an action game. It shares that genre's focus on sightseeing, discovery, and detective work and leaves the actual taking of action until very late in the game.

quote:

Is there a good story?

There is a very good story.

quote:

Are there survival elements? (I hate survival stuff).

Not beyond avoiding losing health, keeping your equipment undamaged, and having enough air. You virtually never need to interrupt yourself to make the meters refill and for various reasons it doesn't matter all that much if you do that or not.

quote:

Is it pretty linear? I prefer linear but I heard you can travel to any planet in any order. Is it long or short?

It's extremely nonlinear and you have great freedom of movement and exploration. How long it takes to beat is highly variable but you will have to explore most of the system to reach the goal and you don't do it in any particular order.

quote:

The trailer does a bad job of selling what the game actually is, but it seems to be getting rave reviews.

It's one of those games where every single thing about is is an engaging surprise so everyone including the official marketing will avoid giving any specific details as much as possible.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 4, 2020

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Here's the entire top-75 list (spoilered in case anyone wants to organically experience the thread):

75. A Short Hike (Adamgryu)
74. Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Nintendo)
73. River City Girls (Arc System Works)
72. Tetris Effect (Resonair)
71. A Plague Tale: Innocence (Asobo)
70. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire (Obsidian)
69. Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland (Gust)
68. Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 (Massive)
67. Shovel Knight: King of Cards (Yacht Club)
66. Destiny 2: Shadowkeep (Bungie)
65. Warframe (Digital Extremes)
64. Prey (Arkane)
63. Dicey Dungeons (Terry Cavanagh)
62. Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland (Gust)
61. Trails of Cold Steel 3 (Nihon Falcom)
60. Sayonara Wild Hearts (Simogo)
59. Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass (Kasey Ozymy)
58. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (Capcom)
57. Persona 5 (Atlus)
56. Tetris 99 (Nintendo)
55. God of War (Santa Monica)
54. Code Vein (Bandai Namco)
53. Path of Exile (Grinding Gear)
52. Ion Fury (Voidpoint)
51. Indivisible (Lab Zero)
50. Subnautica (Unknown Worlds)
49. Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey (Ubisoft)
48. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo)
47. Risk of Rain 2 (Hopoo)
46. Stardew Valley (Eric Barone)
45. Noita (Nolla)
44. Katana Zero (Askiisoft)
43. Luigi’s Mansion 3 (Next Level)
42. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (SquareEnix)
41. Cadence of Hyrule (Brace Yourself)
40. Pathologic 2 (Ice-Pick Lodge)
39. Borderlands 3 (Gearbox)
38. The Outer Worlds (Obsidian)
37. Dusk (David Szymanski)
36. Mortal Kombat 11 (NetherRealm)
35. Hitman 2 (IO)
34. Kingdom Hearts III (SquareEnix)
33. Yakuza 0 (Sega)
32. Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (Nintendo)
31. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order (Respawn)
30. AMID EVIL (INDEFATIGABLE) 40 points, listed 8 times, #1 spot 1 time
29. THE WITCHER III: WILD HUNT (CD PROJEKT RED) 43 points, listed 6 times, #1 spot 1 time
28. CELESTE (MATT MAKES GAMES) 44 points, listed 7 times
27. HOLLOW KNIGHT (TEAM CHERRY) 47 points, listed 7 times, #1 spot 1 time
26. HADES (SUPERGIANT) 49 points, listed 10 times, #1 spot 1 time
25. MARVEL’S SPIDER-MAN (INSOMNIAC) 53 points, listed 8 times
24. ASTRAL CHAIN (PLATINUM) 57 points, listed 11 times
23. ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN (BANDAI NAMCO) 58 points, listed 10 times, #1 spot 1 time
22. APEX LEGENDS (RESPAWN) 58 points, listed 11 times, #1 spot 1 time
21. DRAGON QUEST XI: ECHOES OF AN ELUSIVE AGE (SQUAREENIX) 60 points, listed 11 times, #1 spot 1 time
20. RED DEAD REDEMPTION II (ROCKSTAR) 60 points, listed 9 times, #1 spot 3 times
19. RETURN OF THE OBRA DINN (LUCAS POPE) 71 points, listed 12 times
18. SUPER MARIO MAKER 2 (NINTENDO) 76 points, listed 12 times, #1 spot 1 time BEST PLATFORMER
17. POKÉMON SWORD/SHIELD (GAME FREAK) 85 points, listed 17 times
16. AI: THE SOMNIUM FILES (SPIKE CHUNSOFT) 87 points, listed 13 times, #1 spot 2 times
15. UNTITLED GOOSE GAME (HOUSE HOUSE) 90 points, listed 20 times, #1 spot 1 time
14. JUDGMENT (SEGA) 92 points, listed 14 times, #1 spot 2 times
13. HYPNOSPACE OUTLAW (TENDERSHOOT) 103 points, listed 17 times, #1 spot 3 times
12. DEVIL MAY CRY 5 (CAPCOM) 133 points, listed 22 times BEST GAME NEVER LISTED AT #1
11. SLAY THE SPIRE (MEGA CRIT) 138 points, listed 22 times, #1 spot 2 times BEST ROGUELIKE
10. BABA IS YOU (ARVI TEIKARI) 160 points, listed 25 times, #1 spot 3 times
9. BLOODSTAINED: RITUAL OF THE NIGHT (ARTPLAY) 187 points, listed 31 times, #1 spot 1 time
8. FINAL FANTASY XIV: SHADOWBRINGERS (SQUAREENIX) 213 points, listed 24 times, #1 spot 11 times BEST MMO
7. DEATH STRANDING (KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS) 245 points, listed 34 times, #1 spot 8 times
6. CONTROL (REMEDY) 256 points, listed 38 times, #1 spot 6 times BEST METROIDVANIA
5. FIRE EMBLEM: THREE HOUSES (INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS) 267 points, listed 42 times, #1 spot 7 times BEST TACTICS GAME
4. RESIDENT EVIL 2 (CAPCOM) 269 points, listed 40 times, #1 spot 5 times BEST SURVIVAL HORROR
3. OUTER WILDS (MOBIUS) 278 points, listed 36 times, #1 spot 8 times BEST PUZZLE GAME
2. SEKIRO: SHADOWS DIE TWICE (FROMSOFTWARE) 341 points, listed 51 times, #1 spot 7 times BEST AAA GAME BEST ACTION GAME
1. DISCO ELYSIUM (ZA/UM) 532 points, listed 59 times, #1 spot 30 times BEST INDIE GAME BEST RPG HIGHEST AVERAGE MOST LISTED MOST #1 SPOTS

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

pmchem posted:

Here's the entire top-75 list (spoilered in case anyone wants to organically experience the thread):

I wonder how many of these people have played :thunkher:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Congrats and thanks for another fun thread, Rarity.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What I find interesting is how RE2 was consistently in a lot of peoples' top 5s, but was almost never someone's actual game of the year. Which seems about right.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just finished Eliza as my first new game the year and had I played it in 2019, it probably would have made my top mentions. Oh well, maybe in the 2020 thread!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Rarity posted:

I wonder how many of these people have played :thunkher:

Okay, I'll bite :getin:

pmchem posted:

Tetris Effect (Resonair)
Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 (Massive)
Destiny 2: Shadowkeep (Bungie)
Warframe (Digital Extremes)
Prey (Arkane)
Ion Fury (Voidpoint)
Subnautica (Unknown Worlds)
Stardew Valley (Eric Barone)
Noita (Nolla)
Katana Zero (Askiisoft)
Pathologic 2 (Ice-Pick Lodge)
Borderlands 3 (Gearbox)
The Outer Worlds (Obsidian)
Dusk (David Szymanski)
Yakuza 0 (Sega)
AMID EVIL (INDEFATIGABLE)
THE WITCHER III: WILD HUNT (CD PROJEKT RED)
HOLLOW KNIGHT (TEAM CHERRY)
HADES (SUPERGIANT)
APEX LEGENDS (RESPAWN)
RETURN OF THE OBRA DINN (LUCAS POPE)
UNTITLED GOOSE GAME (HOUSE HOUSE)
HYPNOSPACE OUTLAW (TENDERSHOOT)
DEVIL MAY CRY 5 (CAPCOM)
BABA IS YOU (ARVI TEIKARI)
CONTROL (REMEDY)
RESIDENT EVIL 2 (CAPCOM)
OUTER WILDS (MOBIUS)
SEKIRO: SHADOWS DIE TWICE
DISCO ELYSIUM (ZA/UM)

30/75! Not bad at all.

This thread convinced me to buy Hollow Knight and I spent 9 hours in my first session, so well done on some gr8 picks :3:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Looking back, the first half of this year was really kinda dead.

Aside from Sekiro, most everything came around from the midpoint onwards. Maybe that's why this year felt pretty mediocre most of the way through, but like a pretty amazing year the last few months.

Still was no 2017 though. There might not be a 2017 again for a long time, if ever. Or maybe 2020 is the new 2017. Stay tuned to find out!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I have played around 35 games from the top 75. I have a big gap when it comes to Nintendo games because except for GBA I've never owned any of their devices (have played only BotW on PC with emulator).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

pmchem posted:

64. Prey (Arkane)
63. Dicey Dungeons (Terry Cavanagh)

57. Persona 5 (Atlus)
56. Tetris 99 (Nintendo)
54. Code Vein (Bandai Namco)

35. Hitman 2 (IO)
33. Yakuza 0 (Sega)

29. THE WITCHER III: WILD HUNT (CD PROJEKT RED) 43 points, listed 6 times, #1 spot 1 time

21. DRAGON QUEST XI: ECHOES OF AN ELUSIVE AGE (SQUAREENIX) 60 points, listed 11 times, #1 spot 1 time

18. SUPER MARIO MAKER 2 (NINTENDO) 76 points, listed 12 times, #1 spot 1 time BEST PLATFORMER
16. AI: THE SOMNIUM FILES (SPIKE CHUNSOFT) 87 points, listed 13 times, #1 spot 2 times
15. UNTITLED GOOSE GAME (HOUSE HOUSE) 90 points, listed 20 times, #1 spot 1 time

11. SLAY THE SPIRE (MEGA CRIT) 138 points, listed 22 times, #1 spot 2 times BEST ROGUELIKE
9. BLOODSTAINED: RITUAL OF THE NIGHT (ARTPLAY) 187 points, listed 31 times, #1 spot 1 time
8. FINAL FANTASY XIV: SHADOWBRINGERS (SQUAREENIX) 213 points, listed 24 times, #1 spot 11 times BEST MMO*

6. CONTROL (REMEDY) 256 points, listed 38 times, #1 spot 6 times BEST METROIDVANIA
5. FIRE EMBLEM: THREE HOUSES (INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS) 267 points, listed 42 times, #1 spot 7 times BEST TACTICS GAME
4. RESIDENT EVIL 2 (CAPCOM) 269 points, listed 40 times, #1 spot 5 times BEST SURVIVAL HORROR
3. OUTER WILDS (MOBIUS) 278 points, listed 36 times, #1 spot 8 times BEST PUZZLE GAME
2. SEKIRO: SHADOWS DIE TWICE (FROMSOFTWARE) 341 points, listed 51 times, #1 spot 7 times BEST AAA GAME BEST ACTION GAME

*Have only made it to Stormblood in FF14

So counting that as half, I've played 39.5 of the 75 top games.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I can tell that I don’t play a lot of games these days, I have played 8 in the top 75, with 2-3 others on the list that I want to get around to this year.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Macaluso posted:

So what exactly IS Outer Wilds? Is there puzzles or is more just generally a walking sim? (I love walking sims). Is there a good story? Are there survival elements? (I hate survival stuff). Is it pretty linear? I prefer linear but I heard you can travel to any planet in any order. Is it long or short?

It’s a first person exploration game in which you’re stuck in a Groundhog Day loop and you’re discovering the history of the solar system and why you’re in a loop. Every planet has a thing going on which makes it interesting to explore, and brilliantly the only thing you’re bringing with you in future loops is you’re knowledge. Problems are solved by learning something somewhere else, making those obstacles a non issue in future loops.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

ConfusedPig posted:

It’s a first person exploration game in which you’re stuck in a Groundhog Day loop and you’re discovering the history of the solar system and why you’re in a loop. Every planet has a thing going on which makes it interesting to explore, and brilliantly the only thing you’re bringing with you in future loops is you’re knowledge. Problems are solved by learning something somewhere else, making those obstacles a non issue in future loops.

Does it do conventional puzzles ala The Witness or is it all about putting the pieces together?

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

Does it do conventional puzzles ala The Witness or is it all about putting the pieces together?

Putting the pieces together, it’s really organic.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So combining these results with the results of the 'Best Active Wrestler' poll from PSP Kazuchika Okada should do an LP of Disco Elysium

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Captain Invictus posted:

But maybe in Cassandra-like fashion, lab zero is cursed to make wonderful games that nobody plays

Skullgirls sold a lot. Even before it was in bargain bin prices.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

43/75. I am a sheep (part of my NY resolution is to be more like Rarity and less ensnared by the zeitgeist). Bold is on my top 10 (2019 only), italics I’ve beaten (rolled credits).

72. Tetris Effect (Resonair)

64. Prey (Arkane)

60. Sayonara Wild Hearts (Simogo)

57. Persona 5 (Atlus)
56. Tetris 99 (Nintendo)

51. Indivisible (Lab Zero)

36. Mortal Kombat 11 (NetherRealm)

33. Yakuza 0 (Sega)
31. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order (Respawn)

22. APEX LEGENDS (RESPAWN) 58 points, listed 11 times, #1 spot 1 time

12. DEVIL MAY CRY 5 (CAPCOM) 133 points, listed 22 times BEST GAME NEVER LISTED AT #1

7. DEATH STRANDING (KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS) 245 points, listed 34 times, #1 spot 8 times

1. DISCO ELYSIUM (ZA/UM) 532 points, listed 59 times, #1 spot 30 times BEST INDIE GAME BEST RPG HIGHEST AVERAGE MOST LISTED MOST #1 SPOTS

imagine doing this on mobile

wuggles fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 4, 2020

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You never got credits in ssbu?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Am I the only one who is really happy that Death Stranding isn't in the Top 75?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

punk rebel ecks posted:

Am I the only one who is rely happy that Death Stranding isn't in the Top 75?

Probably, given that it made it to number 7.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Dewgy posted:

Probably, given that it made it to number 7.

gently caress!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Am I the only one who is really happy that Death Stranding isn't in the Top 75?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m really glad it’s not in the Top 1

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

pmchem posted:

65. Warframe (Digital Extremes)
64. Prey (Arkane)
37. Dusk (David Szymanski)

More than I expected, honestly. And several of these were not during this year.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I remember a bunch of Skullgirls fans got super mad that the Indivisible devs said it wasn't going to be as horny, did they stick to that or cave in.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

I just finished Eliza as my first new game the year and had I played it in 2019, it probably would have made my top mentions. Oh well, maybe in the 2020 thread!

We could have got it in the top 75...!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In any case this thread was even better than last year's. Thanks for all your hard work, Rarity!

Hopefully this time next year we'll have less war, more organized labor, and more reasons for FF14 to stay in GOTY contention

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I remember a bunch of Skullgirls fans got super mad that the Indivisible devs said it wasn't going to be as horny, did they stick to that or cave in.

The core Skullgirls community is surprisingly progressive for a 2D titty game.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Jay Rust posted:

You never got credits in ssbu?

I got em in classic mode but I don’t feel like that counts.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lurdiak posted:

Much less blatant than Skullgirls. Thorani and Yan are pretty much it(and Yan is straight up a night club dancer), the rest of the cast is not bouncing out of their clothing. Phoebe is a gladiator. Well, I almost forgot, Ren is...Ren, I guess. But for the most part, very much toned down from Skullgirls-level stuff.

here is an image chart of all the non-guest playable Indivisible characters(Antoine and Sangmu are not in yet).

I like that they came up with the idea for Tungar but couldn't figure out a way to work him into the story very well but kept him in the game anyways. He's a stocky dude with a turban that has an odd ornament on the front of it, but it turns out it's a SWORD HILT AND HIS TURBAN IS A FOLDED-UP WHIP-SWORD HELL YEAH

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 4, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dude looks like Darun Mister's short uncle.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
in one of his alternate color schemes, he makes a very good wario :v:

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Death Stranding was really good, and I think where it ended up is a good spot for it.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

pmchem posted:

65. Warframe (Digital Extremes
53. Path of Exile (Grinding Gear)
47. Risk of Rain 2 (Hopoo)
8. FINAL FANTASY XIV: SHADOWBRINGERS (SQUAREENIX) 213 points, listed 24 times, #1 spot 11 times BEST MMO

15, with only 8 of those actually played to completion.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i've played about 54 on the list with a few more on my to-play list

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
i really hated indivisible's boss design which is a shame since the animation is incredible and the writing is okay

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

They got rid of FIRMLY GRASP IT man? he was the funniest one in the concept art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I just saw Latigo in that linked image and is my man toting a motherfucking gunblade?!

Finally, FF8's greatest element is getting recognition.