Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

One of my rats has some mystery sickness that I can't figure out.

They were a bit sneezy when we got them and the breeder said that it should go away pretty soon on it's own, since it wasn't serious looking and they were still pretty active.
Now both of them still sneeze pretty regularly.

The thing is. I've had them for 5 weeks now and the sneezing hasn't gotten worse or better really, which makes me think that it can't be myco for sure. There are no vets nearby that know anything about rats either, so the best I can do is to get them to give me some antibiotic and I don't really want to do that if it's not absolutely needed.

Any ideas what it could be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

One of my rats has some mystery sickness that I can't figure out.

They were a bit sneezy when we got them and the breeder said that it should go away pretty soon on it's own, since it wasn't serious looking and they were still pretty active.
Now both of them still sneeze pretty regularly.

The thing is. I've had them for 5 weeks now and the sneezing hasn't gotten worse or better really, which makes me think that it can't be myco for sure. There are no vets nearby that know anything about rats either, so the best I can do is to get them to give me some antibiotic and I don't really want to do that if it's not absolutely needed.

Any ideas what it could be?

How's the humidity in their room?

You've had rats before, right? So I'm assuming you've got your bedding and hygiene routines sorted already.

I've definitely had rats who've had ongoing myco nonsense for months/years.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

How's the humidity in their room?

You've had rats before, right? So I'm assuming you've got your bedding and hygiene routines sorted already.

I've definitely had rats who've had ongoing myco nonsense for months/years.
Yeah I did have rats before. I just never seen them be so sneezy.

I'm pretty sure that their environment is as dust free as I can keep it and I've even started using shredded paper for bedding to avoid any dust related issues.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah I did have rats before. I just never seen them be so sneezy.

I'm pretty sure that their environment is as dust free as I can keep it and I've even started using shredded paper for bedding to avoid any dust related issues.

Fair enough. Check out your humidity levels, anything under 50%RH I've found messes with the sinuses of my fellas, and the winter can be particularly bad for it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

Fair enough. Check out your humidity levels, anything under 50%RH I've found messes with the sinuses of my fellas, and the winter can be particularly bad for it.

You might be right. I didn't even think about low humidity but the room they were in was definitely too dry.
I'll have to see if their condition changes but I hope that's all it was.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

You might be right. I didn't even think about low humidity but the room they were in was definitely too dry.
I'll have to see if their condition changes but I hope that's all it was.

I don't want to sub in for an actual exotic vet but if that doesn't work you can also nebulise them with saline/F10 solution which apparently helps their sinuses and kills bugs without antibiotics, respectively. If that doesn't work then Doxycycline orally, if that doesn't work then ciprofloxacin orally, if that doesn't work then combine all of the above. At least, that's the process we went through with some of my chronic myco boys.

Have they been producing much porphyrin?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

How old are they? I once had a couple of babies that were pretty much like you described, just constantly sneezing, and over the course of a 2-3 months as they grew to full size they seemed to also grow out of their allergies/illness/whatever (or maybe they just got used to the environment, not sure.)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

I don't want to sub in for an actual exotic vet but if that doesn't work you can also nebulise them with saline/F10 solution which apparently helps their sinuses and kills bugs without antibiotics, respectively. If that doesn't work then Doxycycline orally, if that doesn't work then ciprofloxacin orally, if that doesn't work then combine all of the above. At least, that's the process we went through with some of my chronic myco boys.

Have they been producing much porphyrin?

I'll keep that in mind.

Theu haven't been producing much porphyrin. Seems like they quickly wash it off because the only reason I know there's any porphyrin at all is some tiny red stains on the tissues I gave them to play with.

Falstaff posted:

How old are they? I once had a couple of babies that were pretty much like you described, just constantly sneezing, and over the course of a 2-3 months as they grew to full size they seemed to also grow out of their allergies/illness/whatever (or maybe they just got used to the environment, not sure.)

10-12 weeks or so.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Good news: rat is off antibiotics now
Bad news: new growth in his armpit
OK news: probably not a recurrence of his previous malignant tumour, probably a benign mammary thing

Will monitor and intervene if necessary.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Jaded Burnout posted:

Good news: rat is off antibiotics now
Bad news: new growth in his armpit
OK news: probably not a recurrence of his previous malignant tumour, probably a benign mammary thing

Will monitor and intervene if necessary.

That's just his bicep. He's been getting too strong because we've been praying for him too hard.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

biker rats from mars

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My rex is a god drat weirdo.

Who eats cucumbers like that?! Why did you eat the "shell" and leave the insides?
I gave him another piece of cucumber just to check and yet again he just chomped off the outside of it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Had one of my boys lift his tail straight up and wiggle it. I have never seen a rat wag its tail before getting these two weirdos, especially in such a strange fashion.

Anyone knows what rat's tail wagging is about? The internet gave an inconclusive answer.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Rats usually wiggle their tail because they sense something that worries them. Could be another animal, a new object they're more curious than anxious about, or even a strange smell that strikes them as "off."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh, I see. There was a cat in the same room at the time so I guess it was that.
I never knew what the tail wagging meant because I've never seen any of my rats it that before.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Our two and a half year old Katja may be heading toward that great cardboard box full of ripped up paper towels in the sky soon. In the last two weeks, she's begun constantly... hyperventilating? I think? Obviously breathing more heavily and quickly than normal, but not making any raspy troubled breathing sounds. She's noticeably lost weight in the last few days. She'll still gladly accept special treats, though. Chex mix, bits of cookies, mashed vegetables and chicken. What's most worrisome is that she appears confused. Lost. She hardly reacts to her sister or the young ones. She'll still cuddle up in bed with everybody, of course. She's survived two surgeries to remove tumors and had quite a tough time recovering after both. Vet appointment Friday. I'm worried the experience of going to the vet again will be traumatic enough to worsen her condition. Then again, maybe she just needs some probiotics.

I wish rats lived longer. They have so much more character than people realize.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The ongoing bonding with my last rat is going well, I'm happy :3:

Animal-Mother posted:

What's most worrisome is that she appears confused. Lost. She hardly reacts to her sister or the young ones.

I'm sorry to hear that :(

Has she been doing anything like walking in circles?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
No, she doesn't really wander. She's wanted to spend a lot of time on my lap, something she didn't really do previously. We've been hand feeding her baby food and she's doing a little better today. She loves the mac and cheese flavor but declines the pea soup one.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Well that's a blessing at least. My lot couldn't resist carrot-based baby foods if that's on the menu for you.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My previous rats never liked carrots or anything with carrots in it.
My current rats will flip their loving food bowl all over the place if you give them pear, because they're little shits.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

My first hairless rat loved cantaloupe so much.

I'd always say "Pipis loves her 'canterlope'!" and she would ravenously chow down on it.

Made me really sad when the day I had her put to sleep, I gave her some, and she tried soo hard to eat it, but she was either in too much pain or her lack of appetite kicked in..

Oh well. She had probably 50x her body weight in cantaloupe in her lifetime. :unsmith:

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

There are two hammocks in my cage. One is significantly larger than the other. For the first time ever, I caught all four of my girls deciding to cram into the tiny one. :3:

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Oh, to have a glimpse of what goes on in their little ray brains. Adorable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ratty piles are the best. :3:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Having rats has been good exposure therapy for one of the electricians. One of his big fears is unexpectedly finding rats while up in an attic somewhere, so it was nice for him to be able to see one in a controlled environment.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

Having rats has been good exposure therapy for one of the electricians. One of his big fears is unexpectedly finding rats while up in an attic somewhere, so it was nice for him to be able to see one in a controlled environment.

My late grandmother had a deathly fear of rats. I'm pretty sure it was an out-and-out phobia, because if she even saw a wild rat or mouse she'd be beside herself - crying, hyperventilating, etc.

I lived with my grandparents for a time in my early 20s, and brought with me my first heart rat, Sylph. At first the rule was I had to keep her out of sight. Over time, though, my grandmother would catch glimpses of her inside her cage, first from the other side of the room and later getting a bit closer. Once when she entered the room, Sylph got up on her hind legs and sniffed the air, and my grandmother asked me why she did that. "She was trying to figure out who you were," I told her. "Well," she said begrudgingly, "I suppose that's cute."

Things came to a head when, one day, I went out and Sylph got out of her cage. Instead of her usual reaction, after an initial moment of panic, she went and got my smaller, spare cage, put it in the living room where Sylph was hiding, and called out, "Sylph! Play time is over!" Sylph immediately ran over and climbed into the cage, which my grandmother shut and put back in my room.

From that point on, my grandmother no longer feared rats, wild or otherwise.

So that's my story about my grandmother and my pet rat, please like and subscribe etc.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I have numerous friends and family members that upon hearing that I had rats for the first time went "eww, I don't wanna see or touch them they're disgusting!" and then over time they either went to loving them or at the very least changing their opinion to "they're very cute but I don't like their tail." Which seems to be a very common opinion, I've noticed.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

"they're very cute but I don't like their tail." Which seems to be a very common opinion, I've noticed.

That's my mother's stance, yes.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
My wife started off as "no rats," moved to "we can get rats but they have to be out of the way and they're your responsibility" then after we got them, to "the girls are so loving cute and I'm glad we got rats." I'm still doing most of the work with them but oh, the look on her face when she's holding one :3:

Also I heard rats like bandaids but I didn't realize how much until one of them tried to pull my finger off. So now I'm sitting here with them having to hide my thumb and handle them.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

ThreeStep posted:

Also I heard rats like bandaids but I didn't realize how much until one of them tried to pull my finger off. So now I'm sitting here with them having to hide my thumb and handle them.

Yeah what's up with that? My rats always try to eat my Band-Aids

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Same, even with UK branded ones.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My phone camera is lovely but my black boy started growing these white hairs and it looks very interesting. Apparently it's a rare fur coloring that I've never heard of before.

Apparently it's called "silvered" black. According to a breeder friend of mine.

EDIT: Basically I got a rat shiny. :toot:

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 7, 2020

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

One of my rats won't stop sneezing and I'm completely out of ideas.
They've had 2 weeks of antibiotics. I'm bedding with shredded paper and I'm cleaning all the flat surfaces daily. I'm running a humidifier all the time keeping humidity at 50%. He doesn't seem lethargic, he doesn't have porphyrine stains on him (only a little bit on the paper towels I let them play with) and he eats pretty well but he's sneezing all the time and it sounds pretty bad occasionally, I'm completely out of ideas now.

I feel so bad for him. They've both been sneezy since I've got them but the other one has been fine for a long time now.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Has your vet tested him for myco? If you hold your ear against his lungs, do you hear a kind of "clicking" in his breathing?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Falstaff posted:

Has your vet tested him for myco? If you hold your ear against his lungs, do you hear a kind of "clicking" in his breathing?

I can't hear him making any sounds when breathing and the only vet I have available here doesn't know anything about rats. I just asked them to prescribe me some appropriate antibiotics.

I'm going to remove everything that isn't made out of plastic from their cage for the weekend, in case it some sort of allergy, because I'm all out of ideas.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

What's the cage smell like? Any ammonia?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

What's the cage smell like? Any ammonia?

Nope, absolutely not. That's one of the first things I've looked for and I'm wiping every flat surface with a wet cloth almost every day just in case.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

:iiam:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

one of my older rats has green discharge from her urethra, I assume it's a uti. she's slightly less active than usual but still eating and drinking well, but I can tell she's in pain. I can't contact the vet until monday, though since I need to pick up pain meds for the other rat, I'll be going early this week anyway.

I started her on amoxicillin and gave her some metacam as well, for now. :sigh:

I've successfully treated a uti in the other older rat so fingers crossed. never seen discharge like this, though. any thoughts?

she has a history of pyometra but had a full ovariohysterectomy done, so idk what else it could be, unless her bladder is full of tumors or something too.

I think she may be having hind leg degeneration like her sister, as I've noticed she walks a bit funny and her back legs are quivering a lot. a uti would just make that so much worse. this loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

That would be a new one to me, so I don't have any advice to give. Hope she starts feeling better soon.