Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chairman Capone posted:

Apparently the plot of Dr. Dolittle is that he has to get a magic potion from the dragon in order to cure Queen Victoria from some mystery illness. Also Victoria is played by an Irish actress, haha.

And this is what happens when you have the guy who wrote and directed Syriana write a Dr. Dolittle movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Timby posted:

And this is what happens when you have the guy who wrote and directed Syriana write a Dr. Dolittle movie.

But then they have to hire the writer of The LEGO Batman Movie and the director of the recent live-action TMNT movies to do reshoots.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

But then they have to hire the writer of The LEGO Batman Movie and the director of the recent live-action TMNT movies to do reshoots.

God, when I read that a few months ago, all I could do was be like :what:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Cats was worth it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Chairman Capone posted:

Apparently the plot of Dr. Dolittle is that he has to get a magic potion from the dragon in order to cure Queen Victoria from some mystery illness. Also Victoria is played by an Irish actress, haha.

In 2 Doc 2 Little King Leopold will played by a Congolese actor and in Doctor Doolittle 3: Doctor Harder president McKinley is Filipino.

Phase one of the ICHSTACU*

*Ironically Cast Head of State and also Talking Animals Cinematic Universe

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Pick posted:

Cats was worth it

I needed it to be more gloriously stupid

The cockroaches almost reach that point and then by the time you get to magical mr mestophiles it’s just a kids movie

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The new remake of The Grudge has received an F audience score, which is only the 20th film to receive that score. It's opening weekend is estimated to be around $11 mil.

https://www.thewrap.com/the-grudge-becomes-20th-film-to-receive-an-f-on-cinemascore/

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The new remake of The Grudge has received an F audience score, which is only the 20th film to receive that score. It's opening weekend is estimated to be around $11 mil.

https://www.thewrap.com/the-grudge-becomes-20th-film-to-receive-an-f-on-cinemascore/

Apparently they gave the Solaris remake from 2002 an F too...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah sometimes it's just a movie being misrepresented or sold to the wrong audience, like Solaris or Bug (which was sold as a straight horror movie.)

On the other hand I've not heard anything good about the Grudge remake.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I remember The VVitch getting a really low Cinemascore, if not an outright F.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cinemascore is a thing I'd never heard of until the last few years when I heard a conversation in CD treating it like the end-all be-all rating thing. I definitely don't buy that if some incredible movies have gotten F ratings. But then again, this:

Maxwell Lord posted:

On the other hand I've not heard anything good about the Grudge remake.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mother! Infamously got an F score but that movie should not have had a wide release. It’s not a general audience film.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Sam Raimi, Drag Me to Hell and Ash vs Evil Dead were fun. Stop donating to republicans and stop producing horseshit like remakes of The Grudge.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Alhazred posted:

Each time a new trailer for Dr. Doolittle surfaces it makes the movie look worse and worse. Now there's even a dragon.

Holy poo poo I came here to post this. What on earth??

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FlamingLiberal posted:

mother! Infamously got an F score but that movie should not have had a wide release. It’s not a general audience film.

Mother was like babby's first metaphor: the motion picture. I'm sure there were a few people whose minds were just blown wide open when they realized the titular Mother was Mother Earth and were doing the galaxy brain meme IRL at the ending but honestly it absolutely deserved that score because it was a stupid movie for people who think they're smart.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sleeveless posted:

when they realized the titular Mother was Mother Earth and
Lol this guy read the wiki entry for the film.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alhazred posted:

Each time a new trailer for Dr. Doolittle surfaces it makes the movie look worse and worse. Now there's even a dragon.

Shneak posted:

Holy poo poo I came here to post this. What on earth??

GoT hype. Dragons are cool now early 2019 when they were desperately retooling the film

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

How to train your dragon 4 starring RDJ in a mark IV gimp suit

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sleeveless posted:

Mother was like babby's first metaphor: the motion picture. I'm sure there were a few people whose minds were just blown wide open when they realized the titular Mother was Mother Earth and were doing the galaxy brain meme IRL at the ending but honestly it absolutely deserved that score because it was a stupid movie for people who think they're smart.

Okay dude you're smarter than everyone else on this board we get it already

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

RatHat posted:

I really dislike that film but come on, it's a C at worst.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The score for mother! was fantastic in its minimalism. I still want to hear the original piece that Johann Johansson wrote, but what we got in the film was a brilliantly raw version that Johansson bravely striped down to its essentials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn3ZZycD9rI

And just like that, I redeemed a worthless sleeveless post.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like it should be a good test for a lot of movies that they could work as a silent film.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sleeveless posted:

General audience just want to be entertained and/or are dumb sacks of poo poo, so lol if you think even half of the people who watched mother got any of this.

Anyway, mother was good and you making GBS threads on it for trying to be smart when the alternative is loving Endgame makes you look like a moron.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
No, it makes him looks like he has a different opinion to you. You loving weirdo.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

No, it makes him looks like he has a different opinion to you. You loving weirdo.

gently caress off with that. Sleeveless is a known bad-faith poster whose argument this time is based on how this movie isn't good because it's 'trying to be smart', feel free to take them by the hand and guide them back to GBS where this kind of bullshit belongs.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If you know he's posting in bad faith why the gently caress are you giving him attention?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

If you know he's posting in bad faith why the gently caress are you giving him attention?

Why do you care?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The MSJ posted:

I remember The VVitch getting a really low Cinemascore, if not an outright F.

I blame witches

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

oh bother
https://deadline.com/2020/01/terry-gilliam-complains-about-metoo-and-says-white-males-are-blamed-for-everything-1202820799/

quote:

Terry Gilliam Complains About #MeToo And Says “White Males Are Blamed For Everything”

quote:

Director Terry Gilliam has made a series of incendiary comments about race, the #MeToo movement, and the Harvey Weinstein case.

Gilliam sat down for an interview published Saturday by the U.K.’s Independent. The conversation was supposed to be about his latest film, The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. But the director said he was “so booored” talking about the Adam Driver-led movie, and instead let loose on several hot button issues.

The Oscar-nominated filmmaker, who is no stranger to controversy, expressed his disdain for the #MeToo movement, and lamented that too many men have been “hammered” by sex abuse complaints.

“#MeToo is a witch hunt,” he said. “I really feel there were a lot of people, decent people, or mildly irritating people, who were getting hammered. That’s wrong. I don’t like mob mentality.”

The former member of the Monty Python comedy team also offered his opinions on Weinstein, who goes on trial next week in Manhattan on sex-crime charges.

“When you have power, you don’t take responsibility for abusing others. You enjoy the power. That’s the way it works in reality,” Gilliam insisted.

As for the women who accused Weinstein of rape, assault and/or harassment, Gilliam said they made certain choices.

“These were ambitious adults … There are many victims in Harvey’s life, and I feel sympathy for them, but then, Hollywood is full of very ambitious people who are adults and they make choices,” he said.

The U.S.-born British writer and director went on to say white men around the globe are under attack.

“I understand that men have had more power longer, but I’m tired, as a white male, of being blamed for everything that is wrong with the world,” Gilliam said as he held up his hands. “I didn’t do it!”

After complaining about the treatment of white men, Gilliam told the interviewer he actually identifies as “a melanin-light male.”

“I don’t like the term black or white. I’m now referring to myself as a melanin-light male,” he stated. “I can’t stand the simplistic, tribalistic behaviour that we’re going through at the moment.”

Earlier this week, Gilliam spoke with Deadline about his upcoming AppleTV series Time Bandits with Taika Waititi, as well as his film career. When the conversation turned to politics, Gilliam compared Donald Trump’s presidency to an illness.

“The disease that America is suffering has now come to England with the election of Boris Johnson,” he said. “We’re all in the same madness and Cassandra’s box has been opened…these egotistical liars are springing up like mushrooms everywhere.”

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Man, gently caress Terry Gilliam. He should try to make another Don Quixote and be stuck with it for 20 years, he deserves it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I've been a huge Monty Python fan almost my entire life (the show & movies were incredibly influential on my formative years) and I've been a big fan of Gilliam's movies for decades and decades but .... gently caress that guy

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

just imagine his boomer rear end words coming from a talking renaissance fish

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

RatHat posted:

That's just ridiculous. You could argue whether Solaris (2002) was a good film, effective, etc. but giving it the lowest rating possible is absurdly hyperbolic, making it one of the 20 worst films made since 1986? And looking at that list, it's full of so-so or mediocre films, auteur pieces or ambitious failures, not trash :

https://slate.com/culture/2017/09/here-are-the-only-19-movies-to-ever-receive-an-f-cinemascore.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CinemaScore

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

FlamingLiberal posted:

They kept playing an ad for that on the radio that was just that weird throat noise super loud and then "the grudge opens Friday" and Jesus Christ I might actually go rate it an F now as well

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Cinescore has very little, if anything, to do with the quality of a film. It is for the predicted financial success of a movie and measures how well the movie lined up with its own marketing first, then quality afterwards. Mother! was advertised as a straight up horror movie and trailer spots were attached to pop-horror movies such as It. When opening weekend audiences saw the movie and learned it was more of an art film than a scary ghost movie they rejected it. Killing them Softly is another example of the marketing/audience expectations not jiving with the movies content. Moviegoers expected an intimate look into the recording of a mid-90s R&B hit but got a quiet, slow-paced crime thriller instead.

When a movie doesn’t live up to or subverts the audience expectation it usually translates to poor word of mouth and lower box office returns, despite whether the movie receives critical praise or not.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

CopywrightMMXI posted:

When a movie doesn’t live up to or subverts the audience expectation it usually translates to poor word of mouth and lower box office returns, despite whether the movie receives critical praise or not.

Uncut Gems currently has a C+ CinemaScore and a ton of bad viewer reviews simply because audiences were apparently expecting a standard wacky Sandler comedy simply because it's a film with Adam Sandler as the lead.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
It's incredibly depressing from a comedic standpoint that one of the loving Pythons decided to retreat to the "I should just declare myself a different race/gender/sexuality right here and now so I'm suddenly a victim" poo poo that was old and tired years ago.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Stop looking at asinine ratings of movies ? Cinema score is lol awful and rotten tomatoes should only serve as an aggregator of reviews if you want to read then , not as a score of the movie. Your playing yourself

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bows1 posted:

Stop looking at asinine ratings of movies ? Cinema score is lol awful and rotten tomatoes should only serve as an aggregator of reviews if you want to read then , not as a score of the movie. Your playing yourself

D+ I think. I legitimately believe this is the moment that changed A24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

n/m

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 5, 2020